Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > can lust last a long time ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 2
can lust last a long time ?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Lusting for someone can last forever. Because to want someone so badly even after ebign with them over and over again for long periods of time means you love them eotherwsie you would be dating multiple people or would leave the relationship as soon as you found someoen you wanted to spend the rest of yourt life with. Lust plansts the seeds for love and you have to nurture them for it to bloom into soemthing more. so get down and dirty and see what happens! PBJ With a baseball bat!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 4
can lust last a long time ?
Posted: 2/20/2008 11:00:16 AM
Been in lust twice in my life. First time, it lasted 20 years. Second, about 25. Married one of them. Rotten relationships, lol! In fact, the second of them still makes my knees weak if he walks into a room. But my heart, my head, and my soul absolutely know the difference, and lust does not a happy lady make.

Love on the other hand. . . . Love includes something that feels and acts like lust, but also many many other very important things: trust, honor, fun, kindness, generosity. . . . in short, JOY. There is no joy in lust.

rdcnorm
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/20/2008 2:12:32 PM
There is are so many answers to your question.
The answer that best works for me is this, After being married for 16 yrs, now widowed, When you have a desire/lust/sexual appetite for the same person and it can and should lasts forever, Then you can also love that person, for so many reasons, Such as friendship, there inner beauty that lies beneath there outer beauty, etc.etc
In short, both are essential to a happy healthy relationship..
aww... just another addition to true chemistry that so many wonder about..
 sandra19
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/20/2008 8:56:38 PM
the whole lust and love topics are always so confusing
most ppl use lust to describe the urge to sleep with someone ..one night stands most of the time ..but i think there is more to lust than that.
i think that love cant go without lust. in my oppinion there are 2 kinds of love ..the love u have for your family ..friends ..the platonic love ..and the love you have for a romantic parner is different coz lust comes in place and brings the pasion and the desire ..when lust goes away the relationship wont work ..unless u want a friendship ..or a companion
so bottom line ..if u talk bout lust (one night stands) ..yeah prolly that wont last 2 long ..but real lust combined with love will last as long as u have the patience and the understanding to work things out
Posted: 10/23/2008 11:21:08 AM
~OP Yes last can last just like anything else - Till it wears off but noway does lust equal love for lust and love are complete opposites, and lust often replaces love. Big difference between lust and love is that love is a selfless for another person, where as lust is totally leaves an impression of being self focused. Lust is strong, urgent, heavy yet very temporary. Lust can last up to weeks, but usually it cools down in about three and Love endures forever with that right someone. To lust has no feelings it's just an urge that becomes a need just like all good things must come to an end where as true love last forever.

-Brenny

I'LL PLAY IT SAFE AND BANK MY MONEY ON LOVE NOT LUST ANYTIME.
 OutMind
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/24/2008 7:30:13 AM
Until she says "I do".
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/24/2008 7:35:04 AM
I've given up on finding love - I'm going for lust. It's a lot less of a hassle and lot more fun. I have had LTRs that started as an "encounter" though.
 webweebil
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 9:09:32 AM
I have never lusted for someone based entirely on the physical. For me, the attraction has to do with energy and their minds as well. The "total package" is what finally causes me to go weak in the knees. I had a bf in high school that was very quiet and reserved in the beginning, I didn't feel any strong desire for him, but once I got to know the depth of his soul and mind, I got the butterflies and the whole bit (he was good-looking too.)

I think lust is a good gauge for your feelings. I love everyone. That's my spiritual practice. But lust, hits you at visceral levels which is involuntary. It's your energy centers (chakras) responding to theirs.
 tmd4mtd
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/20/2012 4:56:23 AM
Unfortunately yo are wrong. Lust cannot turn into love. Lust is no more than physical attraction. A person is attracted to certain individuals, it has to do with pheromones – chemicals that trigger a oxytocin hormone for certain response and behavior for producing children. it can be for one night stand, for a couple of months or if you are VERY lucky it can go up to two years, but no longer.

Lust cannot turned into love.

Real love is not physical – it runs deeper than that. True love is the bond created between two people based on respect, admiration, loyalty, support, and emotional fulfillment. It means caring more about the other person than you do about yourself. A couple in love usually share the same life goals and work together to achieve them. True love overcomes all obstacles and often includes self-sacrifice. Unlike lust, love doesn't diminish with the passage of time. Instead, it grows stronger and deeper.
 lovefun99
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/20/2012 6:15:18 AM
Posted: 2/19/2008 ..........

OP and most others that posted on this thread are long gone....
 DameWrite
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2012 9:23:07 AM
It's tough to keep that lust flame burning for much longer than 6 months unless you work at it and watch out that when the relationship moves into the nurturing stage, you don't start to look at your partner like a "baby" instead of a man.
When you are having sex, the sexual act itself triggers the female brain (and a little for the male brain as well) to send oxytocin through her system. This is known as the cuddle drug or nurturing drug or long term drug. This is what makes us care for our men and look after them so they in turn will look after us.

In the beginning of a relationship it is testosterone that is triggered. For both genders. This is what makes us wide eyed and attractive and sadly, possessive. The adrenaline in the beginning also rushes and that sends us dopamine which is the reward drug.

If you are hooked on dopamine or if you are a adrenaline junkie, it is hard to stick to one partner or to give up that rush to go to the next nurturing stage.

You can keep these chemical/hormones going, you just have to trick your brain.
 sddude
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2012 11:08:13 AM
yes it can last and it depends on how horny both are or how perverted you are hehehe, it does not always depend on loving someone.

I married my first GF (dear departed wife) We held out our virginity until the honeymoon, the honeymoon was almost mutual perverted rape hahaha. We made a contract as newly weds on sex written and signed on what we wanted every day and how. My agreement was anytime any place and how much she wanted.

it was litke 3 times a day for years never a day skipped no matter what and there was work arounds for some stuff, both always satisfied awaitong for that moment everyday, one of my requirements was that she would be the wake up alarm to remove the morning wood any way she wanted or could, my agreement to her was the daily shower together and keeping it rated xxx.

In our relationship if one of the required moments was skipped we would feel it and would have to make up for it later, I guess we were so used to it that we did not know it was not common or normal.

Lust can lust but it takes two to wanted it and not get bored and both accepting what the other wants with enthusiasm beacuse of love.

Sex in a loveless relationship , lust can run out quickly if that is all you have
 pmannn
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2012 12:16:33 PM
David Allan Coe said be best when he said.... men are plain and simple. Love is like a pimple.
Once you squeeze the juices out, it just goooooooooooooes away.

=)
 natgoat227
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Can lust last a long time ?
Posted: 12/20/2012 3:02:07 PM
In my case...It was ~Lust At First Sight~ . . . back in '93....
All the qualities that attracted me...in one package!!
L o n g hair , great body , fabulous fishetted legs , killer eyes , etc...etc...
It was all I could do to keep from dropping to my knees and biting her on the thigh....
but managed to merely compliment her on her hair....
Once we actually gave-in to our lusts....we couldn't keep our hands OFF each other....
The Honeymoon lasted only 5 (Of the Planned 10 ) years!!!
But...there was an Equal amount of Love that went into the relationship!!!
~ I'm still looking for that ~Someone Special~ to at least Finish that remaining 5 years with...
...and (hopefully)...keep right on going!!
 supplygoodguy
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/20/2012 8:11:08 PM
Does lust last a lifetime..? You bet your booties cutie it does.. if you live your life with passion and you get excited about your life and you understand that your existence has no dress rehearsal .. it is about you making your life happen... lust is how you live.. it is an action word and if you are action oriented lust is what you do for you everyday .. with no lust .... no life .. lack lustre anyone or anything ain't for me.. Life is about giving to you and then having enough to offer another.. lust is not from another .. it is from within.. I give lust therefore I am .. . Lust is the only energy to keep the creative life force in motion.. and lust is evolution of being........ I lust my life and live my lust.. rock and roll.. all you lusty creatures.
 Lavelle1
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/21/2012 11:31:28 PM
Lust has many meanings.....what does it mean to you? Can a person be in love with someone and lust after another?
Can a person have a desire/lust for someone and not love them? That is a loaded question, and one which sounds as though you have to answer for yourself. You will find the answers you seek. Hopefully, it won't be at the expense of someone else.
 jan1025
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2012 4:07:58 AM
Hi all, and Merry Christmas,

I think our world has changed to the point where couples “*want”, “*need” in the beginning, settle and then as time moves forward, the changes that arrive can bring them closer together or further apart.

*I want kids. * I want to be married * I need sex * I need love. * I want this * I want that * I need this * I need that

However, taking into consideration all the *scenarios that can come into the relationship also depends on the strength of the relationship and how the couples handle those different scenarios as a team, not as separate individuals.

* Jobs (finances), kids, family, births and deaths, age, health, and all kinds of scenarios happen in life, which changes the couples and their lifestyles.

Relationships should never be based entirely on sex and lust, because if it is then someone is settling and someone will be disappointed when the changes happen. Chemistry can change between people. Relationships should be based on love unconditionally. Conditional love or lust will not keep relationships together, because it arrives with too many expectations. People change and grow, if they are mentally healthy and sane individuals.

I think people need to learn how to control their urges. Self control is an art.

Lust is another state of emotions and mind. Trying some I chi or karate, or meditation to center those enter demons. Lol..

Anyhow, I don’t think “lust” last a lifetime with the same couple, but hey who knows maybe some old senior can tell you otherwise, but I doubt it, because we all heard this old saying “dirty old men” and "dirty old women".

Take Care,
Jan
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/29/2012 4:09:24 PM
With the right one...

forever.
 rockstar_nj1182
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/30/2012 10:26:23 PM
I'm so glad I have German heritage, and had a husband that lusted after me for 37 yrs.
Taken from the religious context it means sin......too bad
So you can take it in any context you "desire" I choose the High German meaning

Actually, the religious context isn't a sexual interest either. Lust didn't take on that definition until after the King James bible.

And if you want to get technical, the quote about lust being a sin, when you read it in Greek is saying that when you look at a married woman with lust that you already committed adultry in your heart... Now, back then, the man owned his wife, so by lusting for a married woman, you're desiring to own his wife... The textbook definition of adultry, which in it's original definition, is ONLY sex with another man's wife (there's a commandment against that). Which changes the whole meaning of that quote to an example of how intending to sin is just as bad as actually doing it.

But on topic, lust, in it's original definition, can last an entire lifetime. It's more than just an intense desire, it's the intention to make it happen... Lust drives us. It's what makes us decide what we want as a career, it's what pushes us to set up a good stable home...

Now a sexual desire in someone, can last just as long. If it's constantly right under your nose, it can go on indefinitely, it depends on the individual person.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2012 10:07:36 AM
Lust adds luster (alt. sp. lustre) to a relationship. It can indeed last a very long time, or just seconds, and is a poor basis for a relationship. It can often be the incentive to start one, though, and some great relationships based on true compatibility often enjoy lust for each other that persists over time.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > can lust last a long time ?