Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Gym Etiquette?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ZooteeNyc
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hi,
I am pretty new to this gym. And I have a few questions and concerns.
This may not sound pretty, but not sure where to ask this.
I am just getting used to everyone walking around in the locker room, in the buff. I mean everyone, to the point where I feel funny with my towel wrapped around me.

But, what I really wanted to know: Is it normal for gym goers to use the sauna and steam room completely in the nude (no towel). And how do they sit on the sauna bench and steam room tiles without feeling exposed to bacteria or other forms of viruses?
I have also seen one women brushing her hair in the sauna. I am thinking ,well wouldn't you want to take a shower after the sauna? Aren't you sweating in her? Hey, isn't it rude, how do I know you don't have lice or something. I was always told you should not brush your hair: at the dinner table, sitting on the bus or train next to someone. (What I am trying to say, isn't this rude or unsanitary?)

Basically, how do you avoid feeling the "cooties", while you are at the gym?
Is there any Gym Etiquette?
 Belle Requin
Msg: 2
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:20:15 PM
Well, I've seen a lot of people who rinse the tiles down before they sit in the steam room. I shower when I come out of either, so I'm not too worried about what I come into contact with- it's not like I'm absorbing anything through my skin. Besides, being in saunas/steam rooms is said to help immune function.

Brushing your hair in the shower though isn't considerate, as few people want your hair stuck to them. I can't even stand my own hair stuck to me when I'm damp, let along someone else's. And in a sauna, you can't even rinse it down the drain.

I don't know how anyone with a germ focused mentality could avoid feelig the "cooties" at the gym. But, if you never really think about or care about all the "germs" that are out there (seeing as bacteria is everywhere, and you've got bacteria in you, and that's all "germs" are) then it's no biggie.

(And kudos to not feeling the need to be wrapped in a towel. Being terrified someone will see a part of you in the locker room is childish)
 ZooteeNyc
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:20:15 AM
Hi, thanks for the responses.
There are other issues regarding the use of machines, such as wiping them down after using them, so others don't have to handle their sweat on the bars, seats, etc....
But, I just jumped to what concerned me the most...lol.
I know they clean with ammonia and probably bleach, but that is usually only sporadic or at the end of the day. From my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that viruses and bacteria could live under those conditions (suana and steam room) for hours and therefore can be transmitted to others in between the daily cleanings.

People have asked me what pet peeves do I have, and I could never think of any. I think I just found my pet peeves.
The sauna issues and to think about it, I hate when I see someone blow their noses onto the street. (Not using a tissue, hold one side and shoot.)
Oh, and you could add, not covering their mouth when coughing.

Thanks again.
 ZooteeNyc
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/4/2008 8:51:55 AM
Funny.

Don't use the gym water fountain.

I don't know if I want to know why, but I am going to ask anyway "why" not use the gym water fountain? I sometimes fill up my water bottle with it.

I always use a towel in the sauna and steam room, I was just wondering how others felt about it and if it bothered others.

Thanks for the feedback.
 ZooteeNyc
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/4/2008 11:42:28 AM
Wow. I know we shouldn't put our mouth on those things. You know what, I haven't even thought about that, the mouth to bottle thing. I normally don't fill my bottle up like that anyways, I have the bottle away from the fountain cause it was easier that way.
Yeah, I normally take my own bottle, but sometimes forget and fill up an opened one.
 Spartycus
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/5/2008 11:32:02 AM
From what I understand of wood, cedar is supposed to contain something in it that basically kills bacteria. That is why you find alot of wood cutting blocks in kitchens.

To the OP, as far as nudity I try not to pay it any mind. Never been in a sauna much as my "Y" doesn't have one so no help there. I do agree that it is bad mannors not to wipe down a machine after you have been sweating heavily on it and yes that is disgusting.
 ZooteeNyc
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/7/2008 3:22:50 PM
Hi beershark,
Thats funny, my gym has clear shower doors, they are of the foggy type, you cant make out too much detail. But, yeah I tend jump in and jump out...lol. I like the sauna and steam room, so I am just going to have to find a way to deal with it. I heard what doesnt kill you, will make you stronger...I hope it holds true...lol.

I always thought wood was absorbant, therefore, I was nervous about bacteria and such could live up in the wood.

Well, thanks for the info...
 ZooteeNyc
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/8/2008 12:28:30 PM
At my gym, there are a few of these obsessive compulsive people.

Just for your info I am not afraid of germs. If you knew me you would know that, but since you don’t, you can assume all you want....you know where that gets you though.

What my post was about respect, and the sauna and steam room. Only because they are butt naked...and under those conditions and wood and steam....etc.
I am not too worried about the machines because I have clothes on, and to me that’s a layer of protection and a towel...

I am sure this same woman doesn't practice that kind of thing when she touches shopping carts or when she uses an ATM.

If they use their a** to push the cart and use the atm...hell yes I would use a wipe..hmm... I would probably bring my own cart and use checks...lol.

And yes I use the protection covers when I use public restrooms, and if they don’t have them there, I make my own...

Just because we are in a gym, I don't feel people should have the right to be rude and have no respect for others. It is not your personal gym, sauna, steam room or pool for that matter, and I believe we should be respectful of the other users.
 MajorThomas
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/12/2008 12:01:37 PM
k, folks the Towel thing is just basic common decency and hygiene.

Don't tell me you feel comfortable with your body so your entitled to walk around naked rubbing your gentials and ass where ever. I'm sorry but either you never thought about basic hygiene/sanitation or you're a total slob.

I usually see older guys do this, I guess they enjoy spreading the filth from their ass onto everything they sit on and then rubbing the genitals on the sink countertop.

This is just disgusting, Ya you see people who don't wipe down the equipment but does that make it right? come on guys common sense.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 10
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/12/2008 3:08:12 PM
Well, I'm sorry, but upon coming out of the shower, my ass is clean. Perhaps, post shower, yours is still dirty, but I learned enough about hygiene that I wash mine while in the shower.
 MajorThomas
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/12/2008 3:15:44 PM
Well, I'm sorry, but upon coming out of the shower, my ass is clean.

yes taking a shower does entitle you to secrete your clean bodily fluids on everything you come in contact with.

This is what i tell people if they complain about me sweating like a pig all over the equipment (i took a shower my sweat is clean!)

You might not care about what your "clean" spots infect, but everyone else does.

I would just say just be considerate. its not hard to do.
 HikingFitGuy
Msg: 12
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/16/2008 3:03:59 AM
Id never go into a sauna naked. I don't want naked old men eyeing me out, like they do in the shower room of many gyms. Any gym goer would know what I mean - it seems many old men love to walk in the shower rooms completely naked - disguisting.

Seriously, I've never seen naked people in a sauna, I thought it would be prohibited. Surely people can wear shorts.
 goop44
Msg: 13
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/16/2008 8:00:57 AM
The worse thing is you just don't know how clean people are..just because they are in what is suppose to be a" HEALTHY" enviroment...Doesn't really mean they are quote:healthy and clean
 ZooteeNyc
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/19/2008 11:00:06 AM
At one of my local YMCAs, fathers were bringing their young daughters into the mens change room so they can use the hot tub that was located in the change room (you use it naked) and change with them.

I havent seen any little boys in the steam room of suana. I think I would be extremely upset at this. Then again I would be upset if I was in the hot tub and a bunch of naked ladies entered...lol.

I remember being told that the hot tub is not good for children, a health risk. If this is true, you could probably report them to some agency or the health department. I bet the YMCA would care then...lol.

If it isn't a health issue, I still think it could lead to some form of emotional problems for the child growing up. (The idea that it is okay for strangers to expose themselves to minors, etc...)
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 15
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/24/2008 8:18:55 AM
We have a bathing suit or towel requirement in the steam/dry heat rooms at my gym.

We have one at my gym as well, which is fine - I don't want to see all that vajayjay anyway.

As far as being naked, I'm far from self conscious in the shape I am in, but it is sort of weird to see everyone else in the women's locker room walking around naked. I don't know if I was a lot heavier and a new gym person that I could be that comfortable...so good for them. I always wear flip flops if I stay to shower and change, but most times I just drive home unless I have to be somewhere and I'm pressed for time.

If I take a break after a workout and then a nice 5-10 minute stretch, I am usually dried from sweating enough to jump in the car and head home. I usually have a spare clean towel in my car to sit on, and my sweatshirt and t-shirt come off while working out, so they're dry for the ride.

As far as machines, I always wipe em down before I use em to be sure...and then again when I'm done. I've seen the puddle left on the machine thing, it's gross. I'm sure the people that leave puddles would be irate if they found one when they got there.
 sirhugsalot
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 3/24/2008 8:57:18 AM
You sound completely obsessive-compulsive with germs. Your body is one large collection of bacteria and bugs. Loose hair flies around the workplace all the time. And dandruff? Ever see dust? That is mostly human dander. Read up sometime on the reality of this stuff and stop worrying about it.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 4/4/2008 12:49:38 PM

Since my last posting in this thread I've given up on caring about cooties. You've all made me want to be freer with myself. I now do my entire workout naked. Thank you.

Need a spotter?
 SpaceSquirrel
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 4/5/2008 3:43:11 AM
My advice would be to not stress out about it. So long as you practice reasonable hygiene yourself (sit on a towel, shower after working out, wipe things down before using if you want) the stress of worrying about such things is likely a bigger health risk than any potential germs.

I suspect the hair brushing thing is more of a "Miss Manners" than any sort of health issue. I've been known to brush my hair at the movies or on a bus/train (if there's enough room to not really disturb anyone around). Most would agree it's bad form while others are eating, however. While not a major health hazard, the distaste at finding hair in one's food is rather strong and widespread.

In my experience, it's normal for people to use steam and sauna nude ... most will sit on a towel, but some don't like to bother as then the towel gets all sweaty (especially in a steam room).

Then again, after reading this thread I see how atypical my experience is. I had forgotten how uncomfortable so many people are with the human body. I've worked at a clothing option hot spring for several years where people use the pools, sunbathe, and shower in the open without thinking twice about the fact that they and most people around aren't wearing any clothes.

Nude jogging is not at all unheard of. The "Naked Mile" used to be a big deal at the end of the school year at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and every year there is a big "Bay to Breakers" walk/run in San Francisco that includes a nudist group that calls themselves "Bare to Breakers".
 ZooteeNyc
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Gym Etiquette?
Posted: 4/6/2008 2:56:54 PM
Hi,
It is funny you mention about getting sick. I have been going to this gym a little over two months now. So far, I have gotten sick twice. Before going to the gym, I havent been sick in over a year. I use towels when using the suana and steam room and I wipe down the threadmill machines. I find it almost hilarious, how I am working out to get into shape and feel better about myself and so far all I have accomplished is getting sick. When that happens I am not up for the gym, so when I go back, its like starting all over again.

Someone has suggested taking vitamins, since working out can be putting a drian on my system. What do you think?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Gym Etiquette?