Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Salmon      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
SalmonPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
i like to take a couple filets and pan fry them in a little bit of oil, about 3 minutes on each side. then i pop them into the oven to stay warm. i mix about a tablespoon of dijon mustard, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, a splash of white wine, a minced garlic clove and 1/2 minced purple onion. i toss that into the pan i used for the filets, let it bubble then let it rest a minute or so before pouring it over the salmon. you might want to add salt and pepper to taste in that sauce. but, it's really, really good. hope you like it!
 pseudonymJay
Msg: 5
Salmon
Posted: 2/25/2008 2:21:13 PM
There is many variations for smoked salmon, try to find a good marinade or soak in a solution before smoking. Comes out better I've heard.

Any recipes for the soak?
 vbxtc
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/26/2008 9:54:26 AM
Not sure how much salmon you're talking about cooking, but here's my basic salmon marinade. It usually draw raves. Btw, I typically just eyeball this, so you may want to experiment a little with the proportions:
1 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 medium onion, diced
1- 1 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
2 drops orange extract (very strong stuff so be careful!)
1/4 teaspoon hickory Liquid Smoke (optional)

Using a 1 quart ziploc bag, combine all ingredients. Add enough salmon steaks or fillets for 4-6 people. Get as much air as possible out of the bag and seal. Refrigerate and marinate from one hour to overnight. Pat fish dry with a paper towel and broil.

I used to smoke my own salmon, but now that I live in a condo I can't use my smoker. But here's how I did it.
For fish I use a basic marinade of :
1 part salt
1 part sugar
2 parts water
Depending on your taste you can add whatever else you like: onions, ginger, pepper, chili powder, whatever your taste buds and imagination can handle. Marinate overnight. The marinade for the broiled salmon above also works REALLY well.

Use low, slow heat with charcoal, 140-160 degrees. Soak hardwood chips in water ( I use apple, but ALDER, oak, hickory, pecan, maple or most other hardwoods will work) and place on top of the charcoal. If you use lighter fluid, let the charcoal fire for at least a half hour to make sure that taste is gone, then put on the wood chips. Arrange salmon on the grill racks as far from the heat source as possible and close the smoker cover. Don't touch anything for at least the first 1 hour. If you're using a vertical smoker remember to rotate racks. Add 5-8 more charcoal briquets and more wood chips. Smokers vary greatly, so at this point it's up to you how dry (hard), and/or smokey you want your salmon. It's pretty much done after a couple of hours, but if it goes longer you have to keep an eye on it. Just try not to open the smoker more than you have to, definitely not more than once every half hour, and once an hour if you can hold out that long.

I don't have a recipe for Squaw/Indian Candy myself, but I did find a couple on Google.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Departments/Recipes/Canning/salmonjerky.html

http://www.glangler.com/boards/ForumID14/125.html
 dmyles
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Squaw candy
Posted: 2/28/2008 9:24:27 AM
Cut salmon in 1/4" thick strips. I did this while it was still partly frozen so the thickness would remain consistent.

Mix the following as a marinade:
1/2 cup of soy sauce
2 TBS brown sugar
1/2 tsp fresh ginger (optional if you don't like ginger)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp liquid smoke

Boil all ingredients, let cool.
Marinate salmon for 15 minutes to one hour. Shorter time gives more fish taste, longer time brings out marinade. I like 45 mins. to an hour.
Lay strips on racks in your oven.
Dry in 150 degree oven for 5-6 hours or until dry and leathery to the touch.
Store in air tight jars.
If you need to you can use 1/4 tsp dried ginger in place of fresh.

You can also use terriyaki and worcestershire flavors for some great variations.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/12/2009 9:13:54 AM
I suppose my Deleted Smelly Salmon Thread was redundant, love to see some more recipe's here..
 raxarsr
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/12/2009 10:33:25 AM
cut the fillet into chunks.......mebbe 4 to 6..........place in a GLASS bowl........cover with cider....add 1 cup of salt.........4 tablespoons of brown sugar...............let set in the fridge over night................start the smoker.......let the coals get going good.......add the soaked chips............and put 2 inches of cider in the drip pan......liberally coat the fillet pieces with cracked black pepper and put em in the smoker
add more chips every hr or so.........you want plenty of smoke.........smoke at least 4 hrs...mebbe longer....they are done when very firm.....but not hard

hide from the kids.wife...neighbors and anyone else
 JustKelly70
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/12/2009 11:58:04 AM
Sounds good raxarsr
Been looking for a use for my d icken's cider, Nothing like di ckn's cider and salmon..
 DDay555
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/12/2009 3:08:46 PM
Smoked Salmon is the same concept as making Jerky. Most important ingredient is salt. When you smoke or dehydrate meat, it needs to cure, which is why most marinades for this have a high salt content or use soy sauce.

You could get yourself some crab from the local store and make yourself crabmeat stuffing, roll the fillet around it and grill it too. I do that with Flounder and Sole, comes out great.

Crabmeat stuffing is easy to make once you get all the crab out of the shell. Lump Crab meat works too, but depending where you are, is expensive.
 Dovelett
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/13/2009 12:19:47 PM
Baked Salmon with Stewed Tomato in Foil
2 T. olive oil use the good oil
10 oz. pkg. spinach frozen thaw squeeze dry
8 ozs. Hunts Stewed Tomatoes
1 tsp. basil dried
1 onion medium chop
1- 2 garlic cloves
4 salmon steaks 1 inch thick -2 lbs.
4 pieces of aluminum foil cut 12 “ square
use heavy duty foil or use parchment paper
1 T. parsley fresh coarsely chopped
1 lemon cut into 4 thin slices
salt ñ pepper as you like
use cracked pepper

Preheat oven 375° F.
Using medium pan heat 1 tablespoon oil till hot-add spinach-tomatoes-basil--onion ñ garlic. Cook- occasionally stirring 5 minutes or until mixture is thick ñ onion is tender.

Using skillet to accommodate the salmon add remaining oil over medium high heat till hot. Place salmon- cooking 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Remove from heat.
Put 1/4 of spinach mixture in center of each piece of foil that foil is already setting either in a large glass cooking dish or on a cookie sheet- top one salmon steak on top of the previous mixture. Drizzle liquid from skillet over salmon. Top each with 1 thin lemon slice ñ parsley. Fold edges of each foil or parchment paper secure with toothpick if needed or pinch foil completely enclosing filling.

Bake 15 minutes or until salmon flake easily when tested with fork. Be careful opening foil or parchment paper have guest season with salt ñ pepper as they desire.

~Note Serve with some Romano cheese grated on the table.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Crusted Salmon
Serves 2

Preheat oven to Broil
2 – Salmon Steaks thick ñ oblong shape
Brush each with melted butter both sides – brush when turning
salt ñ pepper as you like both sides
Thyme dried about ¼ pinch to each side crumble in hands before applying to salmon
Both sides.

Broil till desired texture you like maybe 25 minutes total time but make sure you turn them

Mix soy sauce with balsamic vinegar heated together. To make almost caramelize to spoon over salmon-Heat to caramelize with little butter dash of sugar.

Serve this on top of mashed potatoes with the caramelized topping.
~~~~~~~~~~
BBQ Roasted Salmon

Serving for 4
1/4 c. pineapple juice
2 T. fresh lemon juice
4 -6 oz. salmon fillets
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. chipotle powder ~note~
2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Serving for 2
1/8 c. pineapple juice
1 T. fresh lemon juice
2 -6 oz. salmon fillets
1 T. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. chipotle powder ~note~
1 tsp. Grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Combine first 3 ingredients in zip-top plastic bag- seal n marinate in refrigerator 1 hour- turning occasionally. Preheat oven 400 F. Remove fish from bag- discard marinade. Combine: sugar -next 5 ingredients (sugar through cinnamon) in a bowl. Rub over fish-place in 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with a fresh quartered lemon or lime - if desired.
~Note~ Using chipotle powder - a little goes a long way so be careful until you use it a couple of times. It can be over powering when not use to using this. This is a seasoning you'll love but I mean start out with less than a shake (really Quick shake) unless making large quantity of meats. McCormick sells in Gourmet Great in dips, some sauces.
 Dovelett
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/15/2009 3:35:56 AM
Had this delicious salmon that was pressed in a light horseradish ...baked .... when served was on a bed of cooked spinach with a very light horserdish sauce around it . Oh my golly that was delicious. The salmon was thick - no skin - baked perfect and extremely delicious.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 22
Salmon
Posted: 2/15/2009 5:24:53 AM
Dove How would you copy the Horseradish sauce?

I would love to try this dish, but I wouldnt know how to go about the sauce...

sounds like the sauce would work well with beef as well?

Thanks.
 Dovelett
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/15/2009 8:08:01 AM

How would you copy the Horseradish sauce

Saguy
Tt looked like they used cream with a tint or very faint taste of horseradish-Not the coarse stuff or it was strained ...could've been creamed even n than cooled it down before serving. Maybe with dash of garlic granular and salt
It wasn't runny runny but more like thin white sauce. Oh it was delicious.
Looked simple

Salmon was definetly soaked in the sauce before cooking n than looked encrusted in breadcrumbs. I will go back there someday n let you know.

Now that I think about it it could of been made with the horsy radish in cream...
Mayo and horeseradish. Yea more inclined to think that but very light NOT Heavy taseting... I will have to experiment on crab cakes or something.
 Dovelett
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/15/2009 8:19:48 AM

encrusted in breadcrumbs

Forgot - Saguy -the taste was a little mayo tasting - now that I think about it -and to encust the salmon with NO SKIN the coating of horsey raddish would stick better to the salmon n creamed down alittle . You could taste the horseradish but not overpowering in the salmon but a good taste where the sauce was not as powerful..

If you try this before I get around to doing it Let us know SAguy Thxs
Or I will just ask them the next time I go.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/15/2009 8:20:09 AM
Recipe serves 12 but you can cut it in half if needed.

Horseradish Sauce
4 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. dry mustard, or to taste
4 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tbsp. water.
4 beaten egg whites
1 jar horseradish
1 small carton whipping cream

Cook first 7 ingredients until thick, remove from heat and cool. Beat 4 egg whites until thick, add cold horseradish. Beat whipping cream until thick and stir all ingredients together and keep cold.
 Dovelett
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/15/2009 8:26:13 AM
Classic

That is a great recipe for horseradish n I have had that recipe before but not what they used on this salmon .. it wasn't that sweet either.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Salmon
Posted: 2/15/2009 8:52:10 AM
You probably had a yogurt, sour cream or mayonnaise based sauce - ask next time you're in the restaurant and they may give you the recipe.
 BlueAntidote
Msg: 28
Salmon Broiled
Posted: 2/15/2009 6:14:33 PM
I really fell in love with Salmon on a visit to Quebec City at the end of summer, when salmon were running, had it just about every day. I think maple syrup and the most amazing strawberries were on the table at every meal. Anyway, after returning home, I found the following recipe:

Marinade:
lemon zest
juice of half lemon
fresh ground pepper
Dijon mustard (the real thing has a bit of hot kick to it)
honey
olive oil

Salmon filet, warmed to room temperature, pat with paper towel to dry. Place on aluminum foil on cookie sheet. Drizzle with marinade, and let sit while the oven/broil warms up. Broil until a few black spots appear on the top. For thicker fillets, cut into single serving pieces so that the inside keeps up with the outside.

Yummy and easy cleanup. Does not work so well with steak cut.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Salmon