Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What exactly does hang out mean      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KenKen.I.Am
Msg: 8
What exactly does hang out mean Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
i think i like ejesq's definition, meaning you aren't nec actively LOOKING for anything serious or long term but if it happens great! if not great!

i take "other relship" to be more FWB

K.
 ponytailoftx
Msg: 9
view profile
History
What exactly does hang out mean
Posted: 2/24/2008 5:12:15 PM
I picked it initially because I wasn't sure what to select!!!

After reading this, I can see the drawbacks of this choice so I've changed it to "friends" until I get the stupid divorce final! I do not want to appear as a skanky cheater like the one I was married to ... and I am not gonna "date" until I can do so legally and morally!

Thanks for the thread ... hope I finally picked the right thing now!

Happy Sunday y'all ... Sherry
 ponytailoftx
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2008 7:04:53 PM
Well hell ... now I don't know even worse!

I think I need a new drop down that says ... No Clue!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/28/2008 1:13:36 PM

To me it is something casual less formal than a date like maybe grab coffee or a drink and chat. No expectations or the stress of a formal date. To me, hang out is great way to get to know someone without the pressure of a date.

That's what I think it means. When I post it in my profile, specifically it means "just cause we're talking, meeting, etc. doesn't mean you can assume there's anything to be romantically assumed about it."
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 9:02:33 AM
"Hang out" in this site says to me "I'm too much of a weenie to commit to anything right now." It can mean that they have emotional issues around dating and romantic relationships, or just haven't grown up yet. Or it can mean they are freshly out of a bad relationship experience. Or it can mean they are just carefree and looking for a sexual relationship, and not much more. There's also "activity partner" as a choice if you want to make it clear that you want no emotional committment, but want to go out and have fun (but don't want cheap sex). There's also "friends" which means to me an emotional committment but not a romantic one, and spending time with each other without sex. I would recommend those two if you are "just not ready for dating" but if you are really not ready, probably would be best to just get off the dating site. If you would entertain the idea of casual sex along with spending time with the person, "hang out" is fine. Note I didn't say "intimate encounter" as that implies that it's just about the sex, and that's it - no going out or doing activities.
 ~rain~
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2008 3:03:26 PM
wow...some of you people read way to much into this..

IMHO..Hanging out is...something entertaining, fun, casual, No expectations..just enjoying the company you are with and doing something together.

It isnt meant to belittle anyone, or use a person them till someone else comes along..

LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE!!......Life is way to short
 man4u2xplor
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/27/2008 6:25:07 AM

Typically when someone says they want to "hang out" it means that one of you goes over to the other persons place, you have a little small talk, have sex and then the person goes home. It's generally the casual way to get together with someone and get laid without actually dating.

I disagree with this concept because again as been posted, that is what "intimate encounter" and "other relationship (FWB)" could be used for.

"Friends" on the other hand seems like the problematic choice to me, POF stands for Fish, not friends. A married person for example listing "friends" would be suspected of being dissatisfied with the current social status of his/her mate and wanted to get out and do something with other people regardless. It could even mean advertising discreetly for an opportunity to arise for sexual gratification as well. I personally would never list friends exclusively as it doesn't inspire alot of hope. Who would want to pursue a person who is only looking for friends, or possibly has character flaws to the point where they need a bunch of friends they met on the internet to converse with? True friendship requires a commitment to the person you are considering your friend. "Hey, I thought you were my friend..."

Hang out to me is the catch all category for just meeting up somewhere, most usually in a group setting to take the pressure off. "Hey we're going to the bar you want to come?" or doing "non-dating" activities like going to the mall to shop for shoes or something. There are alot of video gamers too who want a new opponent for their PS3, BYOB and LAN parties, etc. To me it means a first meet with no pressure of having to develop into a friendship OR a dating situation by not calling it a date. I lived in South Beach for 8 years and this is the typical beginning of all relationships there, going to the beach for a day together with friends, playing volleyball, etc. Having a frozen****ail, laying in the shade, telling jokes, strumming the guitar, etc. People are just hanging out together to see if anything further develops. Yes sometimes people "hook up" together and go home together from these meets but it is just a group of people enjoying each others company, stories, and experiences, but not quite friends, just acquaintances. There are no expectations for being invited a second time, or anything regular, just getting together when the opportunity matches both parties schedules. I don't think "friends" covers this because upon being introduced as a "friend" in a group setting will stimulate the same questions like "how do you know so-and-so?" "Oh, from the internet...." Which would then be again suspect that the two people are secretly "dating" in a group setting and it could activate some rivalry with any other group members who had a crush on the person who brought this new "friend" into the group setting.

So "hang out" is the step immediately before becoming friends in the sense of having alot of shared interests but no chemical spark, or "dating" where out of hanging out together they both want to share some time alone romantically, not shopping for shoes. Hang out means let's meet once and mutually determine if we want to go any further, IMHO.

"You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends..."
"Getting a coffee at Starbucks can hardly be considered a 'date'..."
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2008 10:34:30 AM
Hang Out = I'm too lazy to actually date or commit to anyone, but I still want to get laid.

If someone was looking for a platonic friendship thing to go out and do stuff and not have sex, there is the activity partner option.
 inhishand
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/28/2008 5:13:18 PM
Good for you Sherry, I do not think it is a good thing for any seperated person to be
dating, wait until your divorce is final. I skip those who say they are seperated. Kathy
 orchidtigress
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/7/2008 6:25:46 PM
I believe that it means you agree to meet to just chill or do something we both like together and get to see if we like one another's company; but nothing serious- not promising to be their best friend or mate.

Having said that though, I noticed many believe it to be a FWB relationship so maybe I am a little too innocently minded.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 9:29:22 PM
For guys, literally what it says. The girl may post that because she wants to stay reserved and sort of decide later how far she wants to go with you. For the time being, she'd like to "just hang out."
 txmary18
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 9:57:04 PM
im not sure ... heh
 Sunshyne276
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 11:59:37 PM
To me "Hang out" means that i'm ready to meet new people, make new friends, maybe go out and get to know someone.......but not ready to jump into anything (in terms of relationship, or otherwise) just yet. "Hang out", and see where things go.. That sort of thing. =)

WomanInProgress
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/9/2008 6:40:27 AM

Pretty much.

People I know actually use the term "hang out," and I can tell you definitively it means "spend time together," usually in an informal setting. Nothing more. Nothing less. As a result, there are as many interpretations as there are ways of spending time together.

Earlier in this thread people were asking for a "no clue" option. Hang out imo is sort of that option, because beyond actually meeting it comes neither with expectations nor limitations.
"dating" comes with expectations- that if all goes well, it will lead to a romantic relationship
"friends" comes with limitations- it will explicitly NOT lead to a romantic relationship

People hanging out could end up being platonic, romantic, or depending on the type of person, intimate, but whatever develops will have to develop organically, with no pressure.
Sounds ok, huh?

Exactly - no expectations/pressure, but no boundaries. That's what it means to me. That is, if I decide I even want to hang out in the first place.
 blueangel1023
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/9/2008 10:18:22 AM
Most often or not, men has the misconception of "hanging out" thinking sex would be involved in some way. I've been on POF for quite awhile and I noticed when I had my profile status as "hanging out" I get a lot of guys wanting to do some activity together (ie. movies, dinner, etc) and then later going boinking. That however isn't my intention at all...to just jump into the sack with someone I hardly know. In some circumstances maybe we hit it off really well, but after awhile they automatically think "oh yea, every time we hang out I'll be getting some!" I once dated a guy for a few weeks and he always msg'd me saying "hey wanna hang out tonight?" I then asked "did you really want to hang out...like to watch a movie, or did you just want sex?" He thinks about it for a minute (because it's such a hard question) and then replies..."How about both?" *shakes head* Men will always been men. I believe even if you put dating or activity partners, there's still some chance they're getting some booty. After all, why not have your cake and eat it too right?

Of course there's some nice guys out there who are looking for more than just FWB and actually want a relationship. It's like finding a needle in a haystack with those ones! Haha
 Sturdavint
Msg: 99
Posted: 7/9/2008 10:25:25 AM
Hang out - Leave me alone after I got sex from you.
 jon525
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:56:15 PM
I would hang with you.. just sit and shoot the bull of life... jon
 flyingiguana
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 9:13:46 PM
people read way too much into this stuff...

all relationships should begin with a 'hang out' phase.
 stephaniezowie
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2008 2:12:02 AM
to me it means
we'll just talk and see what happens
 mamasita59
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2009 1:20:34 PM
good question. To me it means lets just hang and see how it goes. Why rush things?
 forum101
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2009 5:53:39 PM
I think it means, your not together, just among a group of friends. Just in case "something better" comes along. Not a big fan of "hanging out".
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/18/2009 6:00:28 PM
I still think it's ambiguous. As in, let's spend time together with no limits, and no expectations of what it's supposed to mean.

It could turn into dating, it could turn into friendship, it could turn into nothing, and both people know and agree with that as part of the deal.
 Tamara_R
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 4:12:00 AM
This is basically what I think most people are referring to when they add "hangout". My only issue is what about "dating"? I met up w/ a guy from POF whose pg was very detailed n promising..goal oriented etc. a while back. The day went well despite going a lil too fast.. then hasn't returned any texts or bothered calling like he said.. so would it be fair to say this one was very misleading and should have "hangout" instead?

Also I noticed he blocked me on here..and Im not one of those crazy women wanting to harrass the guy.. I just want answers is all..Im a fairly understanding person..the way I see it is if you tell me the truth and whats on ur mind I can only respect you more for having the guts to be upfront, ya know?

*Incase I don't respond to the comment back feel free to msg me on here.. I haven't really explored the forums much, but hope to gain some more knowledge!
 *buzz*
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2009 1:17:34 PM
And does it really matter what exactly "hang out" mean?

If you find a person interesting and are willing to meet ... that's pretty much says that there is a chance for anything. Spending time together can transpire in ... happily ever after ... or ... or finding a friend indeed. There are no guarantees in anything, are they?

I wish, people who have "hang out" in their profile, responded to this thread and enlightened us.
 Padawan61
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2009 10:27:14 PM
Typically when someone says they want to "hang out" it means that one of you goes over to the other persons place, you have a little small talk, have sex and then the person goes home. It's generally the casual way to get together with someone and get laid without actually dating

A Fuk Buddy would really fall under the category of Intimate Encounters.

People ... don't read too much into it. Hangout is just the first choice in the drop down list.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What exactly does hang out mean