Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Skin-to-skin contact and the benefit of human touch      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Skin-to-skin contact and the benefit of human touchPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I believe touch is very important. It is very healthy and I enjoy it.
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Skin-to-skin contact and the benefit of human touch
Posted: 2/26/2008 9:20:24 PM
I am a great believer in lots of touching even early in a relationship.

I believe that touching can be very theraputic and healing. Touching can bring remarkable changes in a human being and brings health also to a person's whole being. It is also a good 'test' for how affectionate a person will be in the future. If someone enjoys touching early in the dating relationship and I am speaking primarily of non sexual touching.. then it is a good bet that affection is something that comes naturally and easily to them.
 RomanticSubstance
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/26/2008 10:12:27 PM
I love to cuddle, so touch is a major thing.

And why is this guys post being flagged for deletion? It sounds like a relevent topic.
 dontmakecookies
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 11:16:00 PM
There's fairly recent research in neural plasticity that shows that touch increases the number of neural connections in the brain. The effect was as large or larger in young mammals as being in an enriched environment or other factors that are known to have that effect. The effect was so pervasive it even worked on the fetuses of pregnant mothers who were stroked every day.

Therefore, there's a decent probability that touch can actually help make you smarter.

And sometimes, when I think about the importance of touch to human health, and also how much it has meant to me, I feel intensely sad for the elderly that are alone and that may never again feel the caress of someone that cares for them.

WesternRose
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/26/2008 11:23:42 PM
Human touch is something that I crave.
I suspect that is why I am a random hugger. I give hugs sincerely, but I know I get so much out of a hug that I give. The warmth and the breath of someone next to me gives me energy.

Human touch is essential for us to feel alive. Hospital maternity wards have 'Cuddlers' come in to hold, cuddle and rock the new babies.

damnit.... now I need to be held...and I am alone...
 ItsMargo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2008 12:20:11 AM
I've noticed a fairly interesting (to me anyway) phenomenon ... when I was younger and had a "pickle up my butt" as an excessively independent person, I tended to avoid touch. As I matured and grew more comfortable in my own skin, and thus could drop the defenses masquerading as independence, I found myself reaching out to people more, touching more and enjoying being touched.

Now I crave skin-to-skin contact and am highly tactile. Who knew?
 Embraceable You
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/27/2008 3:56:26 AM
I am sure that many of us has had a friend ask for a hug or in visible need of one...I had a friend from out of town visiting with me after a bad separation...she asked just to be held. We just embraced for an hour, her sobbing occasionally with few words spoken. This brought us very close emotionally. Later she thanked me and said that was exactly what she needed,..no conversation...no bad mouthing her ex...no solutions to the problem...just some time to be embraced and know that she was cared about. I learned alot about women from this friend and it is I who am grateful for to her.
 AussieSmile
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/27/2008 3:56:29 AM
I think its incredibly important, and one of the most underrated of the human senses.
Having been a massage therapist aswell i know the effect it can have on healing and health in general.

Loving, friendly or healing touch released endorphins and boots the immune system. That's most evident in infant death when they die of 'failure to thrive' syndrome.

I don't think there is any downside to touch really (unless it comes from an old man in a trenchcoat for example.) lol

For me, one of my favourite things is hug and be hugged...its comforting, nurturing, warming, releases feel good vibes, and is just plain lush! Any touch, as long as its not unwanted, can only do you good.

If only i could get more hugs.... aaaaaahhh.....
 LMK45
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/27/2008 3:59:17 AM
I miss the gift of human touch too.
 Rainsands
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/27/2008 4:01:49 AM

And sometimes, when I think about the importance of touch to human health, and also how much it has meant to me, I feel intensely sad for the elderly that are alone and that may never again feel the caress of someone that cares for them.

People who crave the touch of another human are said to be suffering from "skin hunger". As noted above, this commonly happens with the elderly. It also is seen in chronic long term and terminal patients. Often, family and friends are reluctant to touch the patient for fear of possibly hurting them in their debilitated condition when in fact, a caring touch relieves stress and comforts the loved one.

Interestingly, in both nursing homes and hospitals, it is adults who are reluctant to initiate any contact. Small children lack those inhibitions and are freely generous with their physical affection.... which makes it all the more sad for those poor souls who have few, if any young visitors.

I am reminded of a patient I had many years ago who was suffering a horrible disfigurement of his face due to an infection that just went wildly out of control. He became depressed because a number of staff who came to his bedside could not disguise the revulsion in their eyes when they saw his face. This distressed him so much that he asked his attending nurse for a facecloth large enough to cover his entire face so that he would no longer have to suffer the hurt of seeing people's reaction to him. There were strict orders that the facecloth not be removed unless absolutely necessary for treatment purposes. Whenever I went into that patient's room, I took my time, lingering with small talk and using liberal doses of touch and hand holding to reassure him that someone cared.

It really is sad that something like touch which costs nothing to give is so begrudgingly given (if at all) to those whose "prettiness" faded decades ago or who, through no fault of their own, have suffered disfiguring indignities.
 At Home In WV
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/27/2008 5:54:34 AM
HUGS OR JUST A LIGHT TOUCH FROM ANOTHER WHEN YOU WALK BY ARE SO IMPORTANT IN ANY TYPE OF RELATIONSHIP.

I'M PRETTY MUCH A "TOUCHY" PERSON AND FIND MYSELF TOUCHING SOMEONES ARM AS I TALK OR MAYBE JUST WALK BY THEM. SOMETIMES YOU CAN SEE A PERSON IS HAVING A REALLY BAD DAY AND THEY REALLY JUST NEED A HUG. I USUALLY GO FOR IT AND THEY APPRECIATE IT.

I THINK IT’S VERY SEXY WHEN SOMEONE WALKS UP BEHIND YOU WHEN YOU’RE DOING THE DISHES OR SOMETHINGS, HUGS YOU FROM BEHIND THEN MAYBE LIFTS UP YOU HAIR FOR A LIGHT KISS ON THE BACK OF THE NECK AND THEN WALKS AWAY.
 OutMind
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/27/2008 8:32:48 AM
I consider myself a very sexual person, with a high libido and all that, but you can't just go around asking your SO for sex all the time, eventually they get sick and tired of you. Unless, rather than asking for sex, you simply provide intimacy. And intimacy is touch, even when the sex does not happen, it keeps the relationship energized, sensuous, connected. So I am all for kisses on the neck. For instance many women like back massages, yet my gf, what she likes it to have her back scratched, just lightly, but scratched. So she gets that instead. And she reciprocates to the point that we resemble monkeys grooming each other. Why is this so important, because if you do it, then that woman will not be able to get you out of her mind, she will desire you more, not because the great banging you did the night before, but because of the time she ran her hands through your hairy chess and all you did was run your hand through the back of her head leaning on your shoulder.

Okay, and I am still learning, so I am by no means the best at this. But I am giving it a try.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2008 10:49:28 AM
I'd have to agree with this. When I was seeing someone, I used to touch her all the time. I'd go walking hand-in-hand with her everywhere.

If touch made you smarter, Hookers would be Mensa...............
Touch, not Sex. Hookers don't get touched.
 pelmary
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/27/2008 3:01:31 PM
I find touch very interesting. I am a hair stylist. I touch people all the time. I think it is very important to touch and be touched. Unfortunately most of my clients don't touch me back. Once in a while I get a hug for a great haircut or color and I love that. I really notice it when someone touches me. I like it.
 fancynanci
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2008 4:31:25 PM
I love touching. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than massaging my lover.
 PiNkLaDiE
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2008 4:41:34 PM
I believe that touch is such a great way of expressing emotion that cannot be said at times. Just having someone hold you, even for a few seconds..feeling the weight of the world lift off your shoulders. Or better yet when someone really lets you in and you are able to touch them in a way that they have never been touched before, what a great feeling!!
 NorseViking869
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/27/2008 8:07:30 PM
Toiuch is very important to me. The problem with not having a relationship is that there is not all that much contact when you need it the most.
 woterlily
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/27/2008 8:38:34 PM
I agree to some degree. I do believe that babies grow healthier with human touch, more stable and grounded in life. This touch is what the baby needs and the intent of touching a baby is to give that gentle touch... I suppose we are all normal here!!

now, if sum1 were to take this and tell me to have sex with him, I'll sue him for harrassment!!

everyone knows that actions speaks louder because the intent get transpired at some point. If sum1 were concerned about giving human touch, he/she would be unselfish, concerned for the other person's need first, not focused on their own needs.

Some people take this to the other extreme and use it as an excuse to indulge in 'orgy' parties (whatever they call it) for human touch! Come on, there are other ways of getting human touch... Be a big brother/sister, volunteer with old people, volunteer with new mothers, etc... and those people need it!!

If I'm in a relationship, yes, human touch is one of the needs that will be catered for, because my intent is towards my partner's need in a give-and-take relationship.
 Goodnight MoonFish
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2008 11:48:42 PM
During the last decade of my marriage. My wife and I had sex exactly 5 times. When the seperation and then the divorce finally happend. I was a man on a mission. I dated way too much in a shot period of time and ended up in one year tripling the amount of women I had slept with in my life. For you funny people out there, no that doesn't mean I went from 1 to 3 times.

The reason I bring this up is because I thought the worse thing in my marriage was the lack of sex in my miserable life. After experiencing all the pleasures of every woman I dated, I actually discovered what I had really missed in my life.

Thats right, the loving touch of someone who cares for you. I have met a wonderful woman and she is so opposite of my ex wife. Sex is fantastic. But laying in bed for hours and just holding and touching each other is heaven to me.
 flowerforce
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/28/2008 10:56:40 AM
Touch is very important.
There have been studies done where children in orphanages suffer and die from lack of touch. In the elderly it is called touch hunger. And then there the famous " Have you had a hug today?" There are however touch substitutes such as pets. Holding a small pet lowers blood presser and emits a hormone that is calming to human beings. Touch can also move people deeper into their unconscious selves. Studies indicate if you want to connect emotionally, either therapeutically or romantically a simple thing like touching a hand moves people deeper into themselves. Touch can sooth, support and demonstrate affection.
I am all for it as long as there is consent and it is done with compassion.
 monalove
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/28/2008 1:33:01 PM
I read once of an announcement of some lady from India, cant remember her name or title, but her sole purpose in life was giving out hugs. The article mentioned which hotel conferance room she was at and day and time and people lined up all around the hotel outdoors awaiting their turn to get inside and get a hug.

I was saddened to see how many people are craving human touch so much because they aren't getting any, that they would wait hours for their turn to get one hug.

Apparently the hug wasnt any ordinary hug either. There were no walls up on the part of the Indian lady so her energy flowed really well to the people.
 gypsyNY
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 4:06:09 PM
So true that human touch is beneficial in so many ways. After reading all these posts, I realize why I've been so blue since my son and family moved away. I miss them all of course, but also miss the hugs and kisses. It's been eight years since I was in a relationship and I have spent these years "finding myself." Now I find that I miss having someone to love and to touch. Pretty sad huh!

I like the idea of cuddle-calls :)
 ladybear1962
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/1/2008 4:59:04 PM
I totally agree. I think touch is very important in any kind of relationship. Whether it be family, friends, romantic relationship touch is one way of connecting with the other person. One person said it was important early on in a relationship. Well I believe touch is important for the duration. Public displays of touch is good as well..You don't have to get down and dirty, but holding hands, or arm in arm..maybe a little kiss, is very comforting, I think to both parties involved. Maybe if more people showed affection to others, this world of ours wouln't be so damn crazy at times. Touch gets a thumbs up from me.......Debbie
 haywiresue
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/1/2008 5:10:33 PM
Excellent thread - touch is so important right through our life - from diaper to diaper as I like to say. When we are born, the only communication a baby relates to is touch - that is why they cry when they are dry and not hungry to be picked up. Elderly people need touch as well as people who are in hospital recovering from treatment, to help them not feel in isolation from their normal life.

We live in a world where there are terible stigmas associated with sensuality and sexuality and when the 2 terms are confused, it creates more problems and lack of touch becomes a result.

Try this little test to test my theroy.....................when you meet someone for that first coffee meet and it is successful and you hope things are mutual to see each other again. If that person tries to hold your hand, hug you or kisses you - what do you think first? Most times our defences kick in and we begin to wonder what their motive was, we dont often think, "wow, this person wanted to be close to me".
 fixitfred
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 7:31:40 PM
Skin to skin is great but I prefer the skin to mucous membrane contact, over and over again.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Skin-to-skin contact and the benefit of human touch