Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Brian85BC
Msg: 1
Legalization of Marijuana.Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Im wondering how many people out there think Marijuana should be legalized in BC?.
Anyone who lives in BC obviously has an opinion. Would it be so bad if it was legalized.

What are your thoughts?

Should the BC Marijuana party be more recognized?.
 Brian85BC
Msg: 2
Legalization of Marijuana.
Posted: 2/28/2008 1:05:47 AM
Ill also add i think it should be
 Walts
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/28/2008 3:43:28 AM
It isn't????

I won't get into my long winded arguments about the reasons why it should be along the lines of cancer sticks and booze. It will never happen for a long long long time. That is until our neighbour to the south picks up and moves!!!!!
 valleyjavastop
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/28/2008 7:35:23 AM
so will they stop trying to make me put away my cigarette's
if I vote yes for the pot smokers ?
 Halokitty™
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/28/2008 9:04:27 AM
I vote no.

No explanation; if you really want to know why - email me.
 ~CARL LINGUS69~
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2008 9:17:32 AM
This buds for you,legalize it, that would take away the novelty out of it and so people would'n't have too be discreet to smoke .
 Tyeee
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/28/2008 12:21:59 PM
Considering the body of evidence that use of Marijuana appears to contribute to Erectile Dysfunction (male impotency)...
 Doc Sage
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/28/2008 5:01:32 PM
Society is slowly making drinking alcool a non social activity, smoking tobacco is promoted as being bad for you, we are promoting using public transportation over the use of a car to minimize polution, even junk food is being questioned...just look at all the fuss about saturated fat. We are all getting more and more concern with better health, exercising, organic foods, less chemicals in our foods and in our kid's toys.

Will society ever legalizing pot? No, it will not.

Doc Sage
 Xavery
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/28/2008 5:36:08 PM
Doc Sage - I think that marijauna will be eventually legal. It is legal in parts of Europe and legal here for medicinal purposes.

This does not mean I am in favor of it being legal. I can see advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:

1. British Columbia would be a richer province because everyone knows we are really good at growing weed. It could become a major cash crop that we could export to countries where it is also legal.

2. The cops would spend less time arresting and chasing people around who smoke or sell weed. Because really there are bigger crimes being commited on a daily basis.

Disadvantages:

1. People may call it medicinal, but I believe anything smoked is hard on the lungs. You can take marijauna in tablet forms. The smoked form smells and makes peoples clothes smell skunky. Some people mix weed with tobaco, so they can be come addicted to both. Addictions are costy to tax payers. Lung ailments are also costly.

2. People will drive more often under the influence of pot and I don't think this is good.

In conclusion, I am voting maybe, but might vote, yes. I think we need to become more like Holland in terms of laws. (I don't smoke weed nor do I have any intentions of taking it up.)

As for the BC Marijauna party, it is too much of a one issue party. Like the Green Party - which I like a lot - the Marijauna party needs to flesh out it s platform.
 Class Clown
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/29/2008 9:55:37 PM
YES! It should be, but will it? Not likely as long as we have our nosy, bully neighbors to the south. Oh wait a minute isn't Alaska part of the US.?
"Alaska Supreme Court last year upheld a 1975 Alaska Supreme Court ruling that legalized the possession of up to four ounces of marijuana in the privacy of one's home," Hmmmmm.
As long as the us says no, then no it is.
Legalizing it would remove the criminal element, a good thing. Legalizing it would remove the stigma surrounding it again a good thing. Legalizing it would also add to an already addicted society it also has some serious health effect that would and should be addressed,
lung damage being the one that comes instantly to mind.

Legalize it, regulate it, tax it, earn from it and what have you got? Another way for the government to get more of your money and another self help program on the horizen.

How do you pick the best of two evils?
 livingroomlegend
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/29/2008 10:24:02 PM
...the last freedoms we have as a society are cash, negotiation and product...be it farm gate,labour,marijuana,plumbing,book publishing,etc.etc.......as long as we have an annonymous egalitarian way of communicating we will be free.........: ,oh and
 * L *
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/29/2008 10:36:44 PM
hmmmm....... it makes people Lazy
if its legalized I think we will have a lot more obese couch potatoes

footnote...above opinion based on last relationship - just try to get someone to do something once they get home and light up..... any similarities between this opinion and your life is only a coincidence
 Ben Surgeon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 7:52:45 AM
I will not get in the pros and cons about why it should or shouldn't be legalized. The problem like any other substance it can be abused. I believe like all drugs abuse it should be treated as sickness not as a crime. More money should be spent in drug treatment facilities and drug education and less on the policing.

BS
 * L *
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 10:08:29 AM
^^ yes I agree... if legalizing it meant all the tax money would go to treatment
centers and education I would gladly vote yes .
years ago I would of voted YES... now I'm not so sure.....
 Walts
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/1/2008 10:10:26 AM

hmmmm....... it makes people Lazy

Actually mb,,,, your last partner didn't need the dope to make him lazy, he more than likely already was. The puffs just magnified it for you, so that it came light a little easier for ya to see.
No one that knows me ever catergorizes me as being lazy,,,actually the opposite. So no, pot doesn't MAKE anyone anything. I stand by the fact that it does magnifiy a person's personality, be it good or bad. Kinda like booze. Hmmmmmmmm.
 Tyeee
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/1/2008 10:37:32 AM
It is clearly evident that current policies are totally inept and inadequate. Considerable effort and vast amounts of our taxpayer dollars are spent in futile attempts to curb the use of Marijuana. Often the legal consequences to anyone caught, and actually prosecuted, for their violation are generally insignificant and are not enough of a deterrent.

So it would seem we as a society have two choices. Relax or clamp down.

We either relax the legislation and thus free up the police and judicial resources (and our money) to put greater effort towards curbing use of the more serious illicit drugs such as crack, crystal meth, heroine, cocaine, etc. Those drugs, being addictive, contribute significantly to property crime as users do anything to get their next fix. The efforts and expense towards greater enforcement and curtailing use of the hard drugs and consequential property crimes are justified.

The other choice would be to clamp down on Marijuana use (and use of the other illicit drugs) with super-intensive effort and to reward the policing efforts in the judicial system by imposing precedent-setting very severe penalties with huge fines and harsh prison terms. Severe penalties would either deter the use of Marijuana or drive the users to other nations with more lax policies.

Though our neighbour to the south would applaud such a move, I certainly cannot foresee Canada taking the latter course.
 Xavery
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/1/2008 12:19:28 PM
It would be very interested to see how the economic climate in BC change if marijuana was legalized.

Drugs like crystal meth are straight from Hell - cheap and easy to make. They are also incredibly dangerous. I agree with Tyeee that if we were to legalize marijauna, the police would have more time to deal with drugs like meth and E.

If marijauna is legalized, not everyone is going to run out and stock up on it. Legal or illegal, I don't and won't smoke it. I found it made me hyper and agitated - not relaxed at all.
 Tyeee
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/1/2008 3:16:46 PM

here is the other thing..as much as people dont like to think about it.as a society we NEED people to die.drugs are a way of making sure that happens.

There is little argument that use of many of the other illicit drugs does contributes to premature death.

Is there strong evidence that use of Marijuana significantly contributes to premature death, as you imply?
 Xavery
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/1/2008 8:41:28 PM
Do we really need people do die prematurely so that we can save a few bucks? What kind of world has this become?

Smoking marijauna may be harmful because it is inhaled and any chemical that is inhaled tends to be hard on the lungs. At one time, people believed smoking marijauna was harmless, much like they believed tobacco was. Over the past decade, I think research - good research - has come out to indicate the contrary.
 * L *
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 8:51:21 PM
^^ she makes a good point.... well said Ms X
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/1/2008 9:16:18 PM
There have been some well articulated responses in this thread.

Somking pot is a personal preference, one akin to drinking wine or other spirits of choice.

The reason it is illegal is because the Government currently can't sell the idea of legalizing it to it's southern neighbors as they have chosen to make an all out "war" on ANY Government deemed illegal drugs. People are becoming addicted to Tylenol 3's and they aren't illegal.....

Will Marijuana ever be legalized in Canada? I actually think there will be a day. How long from now is the "hazy" part
 BonnieB
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 9:33:06 PM
As a person who spends a great deal of time with teenagers, I do sometimes wish it was legalized.

... I figure if it was legalized and under FDA control, at least if and when they do decide to try it, hopefully it would be basically natural and would not be spiked with something even more deady.

B.
 gon_fishin
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/1/2008 9:41:43 PM
hmmm.. lets legalize crak as well.. we will save the government huge
 hermin munster
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/3/2008 12:50:45 AM
Prohibition didn't work......mmmm...
95% of the people in jail are for alcohol related charges, never mind child abuse,alcohol fedal syndrome, over 70,000 rapes are attributed booze in the states per year, that doesn't include all the people who have died from drunks in car crashes over the years either........so we are way better off without Prohibition.......mmmm.......I don't think so.

And I am not sure if we are saving money by having booze legal.

As for taxes....I am under the impression that it cost way more to try and keep a lung cancer victim alive then we ever collected from taxes......

As for pot........the first drug known to man without any side effects......must have come from god.....

I am under the impression that it is 5 times stronger then what was around 30 years ago.......and a joint will keep you blasted for the whole weekend.....but don't worry......there are no side effects......

Isn't amsterdam opening up centers for people addected to pot ????

But if you want to have your grand child smoking pot.........go for it......

You ever notice that someone who say.....starts smoking pot at the age of 16......never seems to get any older.......mentally?

\
 Tyeee
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/3/2008 1:04:41 PM

Because we all know Crack and Marijuana are classified as the same type of drug.

Seriously? We all know that? I didn't! I question it too.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Legalization of Marijuana.