Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Re: pit bull dog ban      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ticketoride
Msg: 2
Re: pit bull dog banPage 1 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
I don't know enough about it.

But least, if someone has a pitbull, it must be registered, and specifications drawn up for the accomodation of such pets and it's public safeguards, as well as it's enforcement.

Obviously none of this is going to prevent a pitbull attack when the owner is taking it for a walk. Mind you, I find it strange that the owner failed to control his dog on a leash. Per say, I wonder if it isn't an odd-man-out incident, since most attacks are on children from dogs that manage to escape their yards. Rothweilers, German Sheppards & Dobies have also been known to inflict some nasty hurt on people.

I am not sure what to say, or what to recommend.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 11
Re: pit bull dog ban
Posted: 9/14/2004 7:07:21 PM
I think Rubydue & Nad have put their fingers on an excellent solution.
Perhaps a required course how to handle your Pitbull, and always muzzled when taken out of grounds.
 Seebass
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2004 12:38:20 PM
Damn right...
 foxgurl420
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:02:20 AM
u are one sick f***
 foxgurl420
Msg: 29
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:33:11 AM
the term "PITBULL" is slang for a cross of letz say an american Pitbull Terrier and a bull staff, witch can potentally produce dogs that can harm people.
so does this mean that if there is a 'PITBULL' ban that all bully breeds such as the "bull dog, bull terrier, american pitbull terrier, american staffordshire terrier, bull staffordshire terrier im (shure im forgetting some) will all be banned??????? i say thats bullshiet!!!!!!
I my self am a proud owner of a PB american staff, she is a child to me, i saved hur from a home were she was being miss treated and not feed properly, she is a truly amazing dog, she loves children and is very protective , its not evey day u run into a dog that will risk its own life to save yours, almost all of u must only hear that bad things and not the GOOD things about this amazing breed.
WELL i have a lil story for yah!
i was once in a very abusive relationship, my bf came home one night tanked out of his tree well he pretty much blanks out when he drinks , anyway we got into a huge fight and it escalading to point were his hands were around my neck.. everything was turing black..
when suddenly all i herd was him say OWCH!!!
i coughed gasping for air when i seen my dog standing over his leg.
she dident bite him hard, dident even break the skin, but it was enuff to get hur point across.
i honestly dont no what would have happend if she wasent there.
how i hope u ppl think really hard about banning my lil angel and other ppls to!!
 foxgurl420
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:35:32 AM
i hope u get shot
 foxgurl420
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:41:11 AM
OH YEA AND MOST PITTBULL OUT THERE ARE HOUSE DOGS ESPECALLY MINE . THEY HAVE SHORT HAIR , IF THEY WERE TO BE LEFT OUT SIDE ALL WINTER THEY WOULD SHURLY GET SICK AND EVEN DIE
 foxgurl420
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/5/2006 12:14:30 PM
OH ONE LAST THING ON THE ACCOUNT OF FAMILY RAISED "PITTBULL" TURNING ON A FAMILY MEMBER, THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT!
ITS CAUSE THE DOG IS SOOO INBRED THAT WHEN IT HITS THE AGE OF AROUND FIVE,
THE BRAINS SWELL UP WHICH PUTS PRESSURE ON THIER SKULLS AND BRAINS AND MAKES them GO NUTZ, SO IN THAT CASE ITS THE STUPID BREEDERS FAULT NOT THE BREED ITS SELF, IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANY BREED, ALL I CAN SAY IS KNOW UR DOGS BACKGROUND B4 PURCHASING
 foxgurl420
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/5/2006 12:16:28 PM
"To you they may be animals, but to me they are short, hairy children who walk on all fours and can't speak very well." - Unknown
 foxgurl420
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/5/2006 1:17:50 PM
THINK OF THE PROS PPL .... ALL OF THESE NEGITIVE COMMENTS ARE PISHIN ME OFF,
(POSITIVE PIT STORIES I JUST FOUND)
As I unload my dog, one of the Sheriff's deputies says, "Hey, is that a Pit Bull?" "Yes Sir it is," I proudly say with a smile (this happens every time). "I didn't know they can be search dogs?" he said. I tell him that they are perfect for search work. They are strong and athletic which helps them get through the roughest terrain. They have very good drive which keeps them focused on what they are doing. They can work for hours, and they LOVE people .

When the deadly cottonmouth snake struck out at "her" children, Dixie never hesitated. The dog pushed the children aside, putting her 50-pound body between them and the snake. Dixie saved Frank Humphries, 9, and his 7-year-old twin siblings, Katie and Codi. But the venomous snake inflicted two bites on the face of the 16-month-old dog.

Move over Lassie. A pit bull terrier has shown Auburn's Jim Roach that heroic dog deeds don't just happen in the movies or on TV.

Roach fell from a 12-foot-high ladder while picking peaches last month on his rural Mount Vernon Road property. Dazed and unable to move because of his injuries, he soon found renter Jeanne Davis' two-year-old pit bull Gabby hovering over him and
barking.

"I was unconscious pretty much," Roach said Tuesday. "I remember a dog licking the side of my face and standing by me and barking and barking and barking."

But nobody came. That's when Gabby did the heroically unexpected and went for help.

About 100 yards away and not able to see or hear Roach, Davis heard Gabby furiously barking and thought perhaps someone had entered the property. But Roach's dog, also nearby, wasn't barking.

Soon after she first noticed the barking, Gabby emerged.
"She's barking and then she looks at me and runs back," Davis said. "It's kind of like something Lassie would do."So Davis followed Gabby. She found her landlord injured and moaning in pain near the pruning ladder.
"I walked over to where he was and Gabby stopped barking," Davis said.
With Roach immobilized on the ground, a California Highway Patrol helicopter was dispatched to transport the seriously injured college instructor to Roseville Medical Center's trauma unit for emergency treatment.
Roach, a College of San Mateo instructor, said doctors diagnosed multiple injuries from the fall, including a fractured clavicle, four broken ribs, two cracked vertebrae, and bleeding on the brain.A towel wrapped around his head, Jason Williams-style, probably saved his life when his head hit the ground, Roach said.
Roach said he spent a week in hospital. One of the first visitors after discharge was Gabby. He said the two now seem to have formed a strong bond as a result of the rescue.
A psychology instructor, Roach said that the incident is a good example of the more endearing side of pit bulls that doesn't receive media attention.
"I've never felt they've been given a fair shake," he said. "They're just a terrier."
Davis said Gabby was abused before she adopted her. She's been training the dog to become less apprehensive around people.
"A lot of people said to put her down, that she's going to do something bad," Davis said. "I'm so proud of my dog."
 foxgurl420
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/5/2006 1:34:43 PM
A Pitbull named Blueberry is credited with saving her owner from two armed attackers. Authorities in Indiana, say the dog pounced on the intruders as they opened fire, Blueberrys legs and jaw were broken but she kept up the attack. The intruders fled and at last word, were still on the loose.

NOW I THINK THAT IS THE ONLY BREED OF DOG CAPIBLE OF DOIN THAT AND SURVIVING
Truly and amazing creature that should not be giving up on.

WHO AGREES WITH ME ON THAT ONE????????????????????????
 foxgurl420
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/5/2006 1:40:38 PM
It's the dogs' sense of loyalty that has, ironically, helped to undermine the breed. When abused and trained by criminals as attack dogs, pit bulls can, in fact, become dangerous - just like any other large, dominant dog. Their size and strength can make them a threat.

But the vast majority of them are ****cats.

foxgurl420
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/5/2006 1:47:34 PM
HAHA look what i found

Since 1975, more than 30 breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks including Dachshunds, a Yorkshire terrier and a Labrador retriever.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2006 2:04:53 PM
Dachsunds? They didn't breed them to be badger killers for nothing.

You can see I love a pit. He is a product of his environment. Dog attacks are not going to subside if you concentrate on breeds and not the socio-economic factors of their owners. I think an owner, not a dog, needs to be licensed in this day and age. That license should demand ultimate and complete liability of that owner.
 foxgurl420
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/5/2006 2:06:37 PM
Also, more than 80 percent of the biters are male dogs that have not been neutered.
 cougar99
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/5/2006 2:54:26 PM

i hope u get shot

This from someone who doesn't want an animal banned...
 kitsguy4u
Msg: 50
view profile
History
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 4/5/2006 3:28:19 PM
Wow this was dormant for 19 months.

fox, i was wondering why you created an empty profile the day you posted on this thread? Just strange that an empty profile revives a thread thats been dead for so long....

As for pit bulls they should be banned. I am not saying that it would mean a rounding up of the animals and kiling them. Just a phased in ban. Where All pit bulls must be fixed so they cannot breed. Secondly they would ban new pits from entering the city and ban the sale of them. every pit bull would be required to be registered and have both an identifying ear tattoo and a dog tag with the owners name and address.

This would allow those that currently own them to keep them for their natural life span. While also ensuring that no new pits are born or imported and ensuring that within say 15 years there would be no legally owned pit bulls in the city.

I realize that it is the owner and not just the dog that is at fault. Which is why dog owners should have a licence and have to take a training course.

However, the dogs are a dangerous breed. they are breed to be aggressive and can easily inflict damage. I had a neighbor that had a bit rotty and this poor dog had been ripped apart by a pit bull. When I first sawthe dog it looked like it had been sewen together out of tiny bits. All its legs and but and shoulder and face had stitches. I was amazed the vet hadnt just put the poor thing down.

The first time i approached it was a few weeks later and it had healed up fairly well, had its fur back althoough still seemed to limp a bit. The owner was there and welcomed me and said the dog was ok so i entered thru the gate and the dog walked up to me. i put out my hand so it could have a sniff and it took a tiny sniff then wrapped its tongue around my hand and swallowed my hand. It was almost in an instant and all i thought was "good bye hand". yet a few seconds later my dripping hand was released unharmed and the dog wandered off. So this rotty wasnt the evil type and i do understand that it isnt always the breed but the owner. Yet, even this dog owner wanted the pitbulls banned as the one that ripped her dog apart had been a complete ****cat until one day it just decided to go nuts. The reason is because it is an animal that is breed to be like that.

Its like taking a grizzly bear and training it to be a pet. yes, it might not attack like it would if bothered in the wild but it is still a wild animal and can easily kill or maim.

There is no need for these dogs. People want a dog then get one that is meant to be a pet.

As for dogs being more behaved than kids? sadly its often true. unfortunaely we dont give lessons or licence people to be parents. Maybe if you needed to have a permit to reproduce we could cut down on the clueless and irresponsible from reproducing. sadly the irresponsible tend to produce irresponsible kids that grow to be irresponsible parents and the cycle of stupidity continues.

Back to the dogs...I also think that any owner that has a dog that they fail to control and bites a person should lose their right to have a dog. There are a lot of great dogs and dog owners out there that are responsible and they shouldnt have to worry because of those that cant be bothered to be a good dog owner.
 raverdad
Msg: 53
view profile
History
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 4/5/2006 4:31:20 PM

im completly for this ban...and all breeds of mean dogs and figthing dogs. Its in thier nature to be aggressive...yah you can train them all you want..but they can snap and bite at a loving owner or a kid givign it a hug...i have seen it in the news...

I am aganst breed specific bans they don't work. people who want mean dogs will get them. Kinda like guns it's not the weapon but who is behind it.

Pitbulslar esome of the most loving dogs out there. They just adore their families. However they come with certain tendancies. One of these is animal agression. A smart APBT owner knows this and act slike his dog is animal agressive at all times. My pit is a certafied theraputic pet. H eis as friednly as the day is long towards all things on 2 legs. However he is darth vader vs 4 legged critters. This does not make him deservign of death. It makes him deserving of an owner who love shim enough to keep him out of trouble depsite his antural tendancies to look for a scrap.

Fixing the pitbull problem is easy. make people get licensed if they wish to own a alrge powerful breed (Pitbull, Akita, Sheprard, Caine Corso, Dog Argentia, Americna Bulldog, Rottweiler, Doberman, Dalmatian etc) A colored lamianted picture ID you ahv eot carry at all times. No license the dog gets sezied and destroyed. Make the licence bree dspecific and have reputabl e breeders issue certificate sof completion on breed knowledge and basic dog owership and obeidance. Then require a renewal every year and renewal bieng dependant on the dog completing a modified canine good citizenship course.
 raverdad
Msg: 54
view profile
History
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 4/5/2006 4:31:56 PM

im completly for this ban...and all breeds of mean dogs and figthing dogs. Its in thier nature to be aggressive...yah you can train them all you want..but they can snap and bite at a loving owner or a kid givign it a hug...i have seen it in the news...

I am aganst breed specific bans they don't work. people who want mean dogs will get them. Kinda like guns it's not the weapon but who is behind it.

Pitbulslar esome of the most loving dogs out there. They just adore their families. However they come with certain tendancies. One of these is animal agression. A smart APBT owner knows this and act slike his dog is animal agressive at all times. My pit is a certafied theraputic pet. H eis as friednly as the day is long towards all things on 2 legs. However he is darth vader vs 4 legged critters. This does not make him deservign of death. It makes him deserving of an owner who love shim enough to keep him out of trouble depsite his antural tendancies to look for a scrap.

Fixing the pitbull problem is easy. make people get licensed if they wish to own a alrge powerful breed (Pitbull, Akita, Sheprard, Caine Corso, Dog Argentia, Americna Bulldog, Rottweiler, Doberman, Dalmatian etc) A colored lamianted picture ID you ahv eot carry at all times. No license the dog gets sezied and destroyed. Make the licence bree dspecific and have reputabl e breeders issue certificate sof completion on breed knowledge and basic dog owership and obeidance. Then require a renewal every year and renewal bieng dependant on the dog completing a modified canine good citizenship course.

The licence revenue coudl go to animal shelters and adoption services.
 cougar99
Msg: 55
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:04:13 PM
Maybe it is the media, but most attacks I hear of are from Pits, as we call them.
For the past two weeks, I have heard of two attacks, one was a woman killed, another was a man attacked by three of them.

Police shot at the dog during attacks and it does not release its grip, is it fair to blame all pits because some have attacked humans or other animals, no it isn't.
Heres a radical idea muzzle your dog around people or face a fine. If you take the dog for a walk muzzle it, simple as that, yet it doesn't happen.

All dog breeds do attack or have that propensity, as one poster mentioned their dog saving them from getting beat up, any dog will do that if you take care of it, or if it senses danger to a loved one.

Does one breed attack more than others yes, pits and roths just check the stats with the CDC.
Some dogs have a boxer mentality, you can feed a boxer steak all day and massage their body as well as their mind...but when the bell rings watch out.
 867love
Msg: 57
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:06:17 PM
i dont think they will ever ban any dogs, too many people love animals. (i left my dog with my parents in the country, where he belongs). however i think pet owners should carry an insurance policy on any risky animal, that should cover any expenses that animal may incur whether it be biting to mauling. the animal should only get one strike -if they bite unprovoked, they should be put down. also the owner should be held responsible for that animal, just as if they committed the assult themself. people should be allowed to have pets. -they should also take responsibility for them.
 mcbobly
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:43:13 PM

Ban the pit bulls, ban the rottweilers...they are only animals and cannot be trusted

There ya go, that's the answer to the problem isn't it! What an absolutely ludacris and stupid comment. Any animal is perfectly capable of turning and attacking people. Have you ever had you ankles bitten by those we refer to as "ankle biters?" They're called that for a reason, but should we start to ban them too? I don't think so. Banning any animal is not only a moronic fix, but a stupid idea to try to rectify p!ss poor handling and a complete lack of training by the owners. There have been so many dogs accused of this, shepards, dobies, rotts, shar peis. Nearly every breed has it's share of bites and/or attacks on people, but should they have been banned? No! Banning a breed is not even close to being the answer, proper handling and training are. Granted, some people just don't belong owning a breed of dog that requires such extensive training and handling, but banning should not even be an option.
 TallDarkNSweeet
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:55:44 PM
^^^
Preach it brother...

Hey u all... I don't know if I'm allowed to post here... apparently I was banned!!!

raverdad
Msg: 63
view profile
History
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:49:48 PM
Cougar no offence but your full of sh*t

That is one of the oldest and msot misudnerstood myths about pitbulls that they have locking jaws. They don't wha tthey do have like bull dogs, bull terriers and many mastiffs and other large breeds is a bite and hold trait bred into them. Ussaly for cath work with pigs and cattle. The do not lock their jaw they refuse to elt go. Kill a pitbulla dn the jaw muscles go slack and the bite releases. You can also use a break stick to force open thier jaws via a presure point behind the molars.

Heres a radical idea muzzle your dog around people or face a fine. If you take the dog for a walk muzzle it, simple as that, yet it doesn't happen.

That is a stupid idea. Muzzels ar edangerous to the dog any timethe temprature climbs. Dogs hav eonyl one way of cooling, panting. Muzzels inhibit this and can lead to heat stroke. They also get in the way of drinking water.

Does one breed attack more than others yes, pits and roths just check the stats with the CDC.
Some dogs have a boxer mentality, you can feed a boxer steak all day and massage their body as well as their mind...but when the bell rings watch out.

Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities." (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R

No offence but bite and kill are differnet words. You ar ealso assumign the two breeds ar einherently bad. However i would point out that these 2 breeds are by far the two most common breeds in America and ar ealso the preferred breeds of the thugs and bangers who need a dog triane dot attack and gun to feel like a man.

Although pit bull mixes and Rottweilers are most likely to kill and seriously maim, fatal attacks since 1975 have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

Between the years of 1979 and 1998 more than 300 people were killed by dog bite injuries, according to dog bite statistics. Twenty five different canine breeds have been identified in fatal dog bite accidents. Rottweilers and Pit Bulls account for approximately half of all dog bite related fatalities. However, dog bite statistics reveal that mixed breed canine types are involved in bite injuries more often than pure breeds. Depending on the popularity of particular breeds, dog bite statistics change from year to year and from one part of the country to another.

There are certain canine characteristics that dog bite statistics indicate to be most common of dog bite perpetrators. Male dogs and those between the ages of one and five years tend to bite more often than female dogs or dogs that are older than six. Dog bite statistics show that unaltered canines are three times more likely to bite than their spayed or neutered counterparts. Dog bite statistics from the Center for Disease Control have found that a dog that is chained up is almost three times more likely to bite a human being than an unchained dog.
 Wildcard74
Msg: 67
pit bull dog ban
Posted: 4/5/2006 8:50:18 PM
Apparently Pit bulls and Rottweilers are currently the "in vogue" breeds of dogs to own. With the urban "gotta look cool" mentality, these dogs are now sought after in greater numbers. This leads to an entire slew of uneducated and innexperienced dog owners who purchase these breeds because it is cool and it is what their friends are doing (or someone in a rap video). Some people also love the thought of owning a living, breathing, weapon that they can sick on an intruder or train to fight another dog in a ring.

I'm sure you are all aware of the pair of 120lb Presa Canarios that killed a 110lb lady tennant in a California appartment? Soon after this story circulated around, Presa Canario dogs were in higher demand and breeders started poping up out of the woodwork. Pretty sick if you ask me.

Pit bull owners (or any dangerous breed) should be trained, licensed and registered. To me, a dangerous dog is more dangerous than owning a gun since you can't think for the dog and control it.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Re: pit bull dog ban