Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 spitfire6844
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?Page 1 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Anderson Silva just had an impressive championship win over PRIDE 183 lb. champion Dan Henderson. Does that make Anderson the world's best fighter? I say "No". Not yet. Hendo is old and was never at his best as a middleweight. Anderson's win was a given in this fight. Fighters like Fedor and JZ are still better pound for pound than Anderson Silva is.
 Southpaw_Outlaw
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 3/3/2008 9:00:48 AM
You answered it in your post, Fedor is still the best.
 difficultone04
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/3/2008 9:39:00 AM
Here's a better question (since you answered your own question and correctly!).. who's next for Anderson Silva? And this is of course assuming we keep the answer reality based. Who would be the next best challenge for Silva at 185 in UFC??
 studplayrico
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 9:43:28 AM
Silva is the man!!! Fedor is just the king of the heavies and St Pierre, well he will avenge that defeat from Serra.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 10:41:29 AM

who's next for Anderson Silva?

I want us to stay on topic, but I will answer the above. I've got two fighters in mind who should be considered for Silva's next opponent. The 1st one is Paulo Filho. Filho is rematching Chael Sonnen right now in the WEC; but if Filho can beat Sonnen again, they should bring Filho over to fight Anderson. Yeah, they're friends, but they'll fight for the right amount of money.

The other name is Ricardo Almeida (Big Dog). Almeida is new to the UFC, but he's a great fighter and people will know who he is soon enough. Both Filho and Almeida can beat Anderson on the ground. Their Jiu-Jitsu is better than his, and Anderson will have to be beat with superior JJ.

Back to the P4P discussion. We've got to keep Anderson's recent wins in perspective. His last 7 fights were as follows: Fryklund, Leben, Franklin, Lutter, Marquardt, Franklin (2nd fight), Hendo. Out of those fights, only Franklin and Hendo were anywhere near top MWs. Anderson is the best MW in the world (until proven otherwise), but he's not even the top UFC fighter, much less the best fighter in the world.

Now I'd like to hear from someone who DOES think Anderson is the world's best, and why.....
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/3/2008 10:53:34 AM
How does the so-called best P4P fighter get subbed by not one, but two unranked fighters in PRIDE?

Fedor is the best P4P fighter. It's not even close. Anderson is good though - better then I thought.
 ndru1028
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/3/2008 11:08:49 AM
Fedor is the best...
 billymccool
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/3/2008 11:44:22 AM
Is this a question or are you sharing your opinion? Anderson Silva in my view has a long way to go before he could ever be considered the best MMA fighter. Guys like Fedor, Couture deserve the title, best in world. Quinton Jackson is very good and I think he has potential to be claimed best in world as well. St. Pierre is ony of my favorites because I think he is well balanced.

Anyway to pick one Id go with Fedor, right now anyway.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 8:17:55 PM
^^I was trying to draw out any rabid Anderson Silva fans. I think everyone so far agrees that Fedor is still the P4P best. Some of the MMA journalists are praising Anderson as the best ever, and one journalist said (and he was being serious) that Anderson could move up in weight and beat Fedor.

I'm glad no one here is that delusional.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/4/2008 3:26:53 PM
I think it's very difficult to say with real accuracy who's the best p4p since it can't really be tested. But good arguments can be made for a few people.

Fedor Emelianenko: Has never really lost (TK won on a fluke cut from an accidental headbutt and was later trounced by Fedor in a rematch) and is well-rounded and quick for a big guy. He's also one of the best thinkers in the sport, adjusting his tactics on the fly when need be. Right now, he's probably the easiest choice, but he hasn't faced a top heavyweight opponent in a couple of years.

George St.Pierre: Has lost twice, avenged one of them (twice over, easily) and likely will 'erase' the other in the coming rematch. If he beats Serra convincingly, he has to be considered, imo. He may be the strongest welterweight there is and, on top of that, he's one of the quickest and has probably the most well-rounded skill set.

BJ Penn: When competing at lightweight (and even sometimes above that) and properly motivated, he makes beating some of the best out there look easy, like he's putting on a seminar. It's hard to argue that anyone has more natural talent.

Anderson "Spider" Silva: He's better now than he was in his days in Pride. He'd wreck Chonan and Takase today. His "loss" to Okami was just a matter of him not knowing or forgetting the ROTR rules and smiting Okami with an illegal kick. I'm guessing Okami will be his next opponent, too. Anyone notice that Okami beat Tanner in a very "Spider-like" style, using knees from an Anderson-esque muay thai clinch? Anderson is better at it, though. I think Silva will get the W this time. The other loss was his first pro fight and you can basically put quotes around "loss" on that one, too. Azeredo simply took him down and laid on top of him, more or less avoiding the fight. If Silva blows out Okami it'll go a long way towards putting him up at the top of the list.

The winner of the upcoming JZ/Aoki fight: Both guys have great records and routinely win in spectacular fashion. I believe one of these guys will win DREAM's tourney. After that, I'd like to see it be worked out for them to fight BJ to clear things up (fat chance).

Paulo Filho and Matt Lindland (he's the one I really want to see fight Anderson Silva) could work their way in there, too, with some good showings.

Whoa! ^^^ tl,dr? ^^^
 Writers Block
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/4/2008 3:43:37 PM
Have to agree with the above post, There is almost no concise way to determine a clear P4P top fighter. Do we look at the reign of the champion as in the case of Liddell, or Do we say the heavy favorite as in the case of Fedor, or do we go with the current rising stars such as GSP and Silva.

with Okami proven once again that he has strong stand up game and very tough in the clinch. I to also think that the next opponent will be Okami and although is was an illegal kick that ended the fight between Silva
 spitfire6844
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2008 4:07:44 PM
Good analysis by GuyCaballero.

I definitely think Fedor merits the best case for P4P #1 because of his near perfect record (sole loss being the TK cut-stoppage).

GSP has also been impressive career-wide with his only bad fight being the Serra fight. GSP was even winning the 1st Hughes fight (2004) until he got caught in the armbar at the end of the 1st round. Other than that, GSP has been near flawless.

I would put both Kid Yamamoto and Gesius Cavalcante above Anderson as well.

Anderson's inexplicable losses to Chonan and Takase detract from his legacy, even though they were much earlier in his career. That's why it's good that champion Jiu-Jitsu fighters like Maia and Big Dog are in the UFC now. Hopefully, Filho can be brought over, too. Anderson's best fights are gonna be against other Jiu-Jitsu black belts, and it will be a ground wizard who finally beats him.
 Dizzyfied
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/4/2008 7:12:40 PM
The best P4P fighter has to be Urijah Faber.
 kasatopia
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/4/2008 9:23:15 PM
The UFC isn't the only organization with top fighters. Many fighters would rather not fight in the UFC due to it's strict contract stipulations. In my opinion, Frank Shamrock is probably the best middleweight fighting in north america right now. It's tough to argue this because he doesn't fight in a top organization, but that's why it's my opinion.

EDIT: I'm sorry but Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will never even be close to considered as the world's best, he's by far the most surprising champion right now. A good bodyslam/suplex can only go so far.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2008 3:54:22 AM

Frank Shamrock is probably the best middleweight fighting in north america right now.

I think that Frank Shamrock could have been the best MW, but he didn't fight as consistently as he should have over the past 6 years. Frank also didn't fight the best available middleweights. Beating Phil Baroni and DQ'ing against Renzo don't entitle Frank to top 5 recognition. Frank needs to at least fight guys like Robbie Lawler or Jorge Santiago.
 billymccool
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/5/2008 9:04:38 AM
Quinton a surprise? No way, hes beat the hell outta Chuck Liddell numerous times. He is the first ever undisputed champion. To not consider him one of the worlds best is just foolish. Go watch some higlights and educate yourself.

UFC doesnt necessarily have the best fighters in the world. In a real fight there are no rules. In a real fight if you are fighting multiple people the absolute worst thing you can do is go to the ground.

Trying to determine the best p4p fighter is just retarded. Whats the point? Its a subjective question unless you base it off their winning percentage alone and that really doesnt proove a whole lot.
 kasatopia
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/5/2008 10:15:05 AM
I've been watching Quentin Jackson since before most people heard of him, he just happens to be a good anti-Lidell fighter. The majority of his fights in Pride were won against amateur japanese fighters, he never came close to winning the belt (his only two recognizably decent wins were against Igor Vovchanchyn, who submitted due to injury, and Ricardo Arona, who he got a lucky TKO against from one of his slams) which is why it's surprising he comes to ufc and immediately gets a title fight. Hopefully the UFC doesn't buy out M1 as they did Pride, I haven't been a big fan of ufc since the early days, and I have very little respect since they've shown monopolistic characteristics. Other americans need to realize there are other organizations out there with worthy fighters.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2008 10:45:25 AM

Trying to determine the best p4p fighter is just retarded. Whats the point?

Because most MMA fans enjoy speculating about who the best MMA fighter is. My question to you: why post on the thread if you don't like P4P discussions?
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/5/2008 2:28:27 PM
I agree totally with your take on F. Shamrock, Spitfire. And how did I forget Kid?! He's been beating good fighters in the lightweight division while being, in reality, a featherweight. And that despite seemingly taking illegal kicks to the men's department every round.

Faber is another possibility, too, Dizzy. Agreed. Hopefully we'll see him against Pulver soon to see where each of them stands.

And as far as Quinton Jackson goes, I think he's definitely a top guy. Not p4p the best, but still great. And to say he never came close to a title isn't quite right, imo. In his second fight with Silva (then PRIDE champ), he was arguably winning late into the fight. I think his style fits much better in the UFC rules and cage anyway.
 kasatopia
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/5/2008 7:24:48 PM
bah.
Quinton Jackson will get his 15 minutes of fame and then be forgotten, he's not got the quality to be a 'hall of famer'.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2008 7:29:13 PM
I'll tell you what: Anderson Silva had better not even think about moving up to LHW to face Quinton. Quinton wouldn't go out there like Hendo; gas out; and give up his back in the 2nd round. We keep hearing this talk about Anderson moving up. LHWs are huge and they would break Silva in that division.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/5/2008 11:13:06 PM
This might sound funny, but I think Hendo at 205 would beat Spider at 205. Henderson really doesn't like fighting at 185/83. He can't handle cutting weight. At the very least, I don't think Dan would gas out.

MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/6/2008 3:29:28 PM

bah.
Quinton Jackson will get his 15 minutes of fame and then be forgotten, he's not got the quality to be a 'hall of famer'.
Ken Shamrock is a Hall of Famer....
 wannashakeyourtree
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/10/2008 4:44:44 PM
P4P best needs to be addressed by weightclass in my opinion.

fedor may be a hw god...but in truth he hasn't faced top competition in a VERY long time.

At LHW, the division is so deep that it's pretty hard to pick just one. Lidell has to be seriously considered because of his record and fighting style. A motivated Lidell, with his excellent striking and TD defense is near unbeatable, even at his age.

There are some others in that division but they're still maturing in my opinion.

At 185, Ando has to be considered a serious contender for P4P in his division. Henderson went 5 rounds with the LHW champ, and then got choked out with 10 sec. remaining in the second round, after winning the first.

At 170, I think that GSP has to be considered a real favourite for p4p. He did to Hughes, what Hughes had done to countless opponents.

155 and lower are where the real action is, and honestly where the deepest talent pool lies. The sport has grown exponentially since the lighter fighters have been put back in the spotlight. Two names to search are Aoki and Imanari. Others include Faber...and a whole host of American fighters.

Seriously...this is a great time to be a fan of the sport.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/11/2008 8:37:20 AM
I agree with you on most points there, Chem, save for Liddell. He's definitely very good and has excellent take down defense, but he's not the supreme striker that he's built up to be. He's mostly patience and a right hand. Polished strikers won't make the mistakes and overcommitments he's relied on to get the KO in the past. He's been beaten on the feet twice by Jackson and once by Jardine. Going back further, I'd have called his "fight" with Bustamante a draw. I'd put even odds on a fight with Forrest Griffin now. Machida would beat him, imo, and Anderson Silva might as well if he were to move up a division. And it's really too bad Mirko didn't stay with the UFC and drop to the light heavyweight division. He'd have shown Chuck up badly. Speaking of heavyweights, Liddell's been calling out Fedor. He'd better hope he doesn't get his wish. Fedor is an underrated boxer. He'd beat him wherever he needed to.

You're totally right about the lighter divisions being where most of the talent is.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?