Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > "I'm In Love With You"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 1
"I'm In Love With You"Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If you knew a person for a while, and he/she was in love with you. Would you want to know? Would you want him/her to tell you? Regardless of whether or not you felt the same way? How would you react?

There's no one right now. I just thought that it would be an interesting question to pose.
 Harry Peter
Msg: 2
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:40:50 AM
Sure, unless they're a relative. How I would react depends on who it is and how gross they are. Gross, I would have the reaction of "ew". Not gross, I'd have the reaction of doing, spew... splat.
 Trailsman5
Msg: 3
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:43:55 AM
If you don't know what the reply would be, its best that they keep it to themselves. Chances are, it won't be pretty.

Trained snipers won't take the shot unless they're 99.99% sure.
 justcallmec
Msg: 4
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:50:07 AM
Of course you would wanna know. I mean why not? Would you prefer them to be running around doing all kinds of creepy stuff like randomly showing up at your work? Or that crazy stuff people in love do (assuming you feel different)

And things like that change everything. If someone tells you they're in love with you and you reply with "thanks!" and indicate you're not interested, its going to hurt their feelings omg. First they'll feel stupid, then they'll feel this way, that way, etc. Some friendships are just not made to last.

etc? no id?
 ~Kyn~
Msg: 5
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 12:54:44 AM

If you knew a person for a while, and he/she was in love with you. Would you want to know?

Umm...its pretty clear in most instances...they likely wouldnt need to say it.

Would you want him/her to tell you?

If they felt the need to tell me Id respect that because its a HUGE thing for someone to express how they feel when they are unsure of the outcome.
Id have already addressed the issue though cos I dont mess around with people's hearts if I can help it.

Regardless of whether or not you felt the same way? How would you react?

If I felt the same way
If I didnt

I hate to hurt someones feelings unnecessarily particularly when Love is not something you can just make happen even for someone you genuinely like and care about.
 mz taken
Msg: 6
view profile
History
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 1:57:43 AM
yes.
yes, and he did.
yeah.
I took it in stride and enjoyed knowing, but if I knew HOW I'd react...??? I can't predict how I'd react in a future-tense.
 MrVitamix
Msg: 7
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 6:01:42 AM
I dont think someone who was in love with me would have to say it, I'd know.
 bullielover62
Msg: 8
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 6:14:40 AM
If I weren't in the same place as him, and he was saying it to me, it would make me feel uncomfortable.

Because who's to say I'm ever going to feel that way....

I was dating a man after my divorce and knew I wasn't in love with the guy... and he knew it... he also knew I probably never would be..... he was smart enough to understand that he was just "the rebound guy".... but still stayed with me.... until he started saying "I love you".... That's when I had to cut him loose.

Sometimes hearing those three little words is NOT what you want to hear.
 cupatea2010
Msg: 9
view profile
History
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 6:47:13 AM
Yes I would want them to tell me........in words...it's official...regardless if I felt the same way or not...........

I am a "get to the point" kinda gal .........and if your not in it for LOVE than you have to convey what the heck you in it for?
 Eric48
Msg: 10
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 7:27:22 AM

Go ahead bullie, do your worst ... I can take it.

Challenge
Msg: 11
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 7:33:33 AM
Seinfeld episode:

George: Ok, ok, fine! It's changed, it's not really the point. Anyway, I'm
thinking of making a big move.

Jerry: What?

George: I might tell her that I love her. I came this close last night, then I
just chickened out.

Jerry: Well, that's a big move, Georgie boy. Are you confident in the 'I love
you' return?

George: Fifty-fifty.

Jerry: Cause if you don't get that return, that's a pretty big matzoh ball
hanging out there.

George: Aw, I've just got to say it once, everybody else gets to say it, why
can't I say it?

Elaine: What, you never said it?

George: Once, to a dog. He licked himself and left the room
 Funny_Girl
Msg: 12
view profile
History
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 7:40:40 AM
Hearing or sensing it before I felt it used to make me uncomfortable, until I finally realized I had no reason to feel that way. No two people march to the same drummer, no two people love the same, or even fall in love at the same time, and on and on. The last time I heard it, I was like "wow, cool!". He shouldn't feel badly for loving me, I shouldn't feel badly for being loved, nor should I feel badly just because he got there before me, or whatever.

That said, I don't play along when I know we're never gonna get there.
 Nice2phku
Msg: 13
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 8:03:04 AM
I believe "Like" has to come first. If you don't like the person then love is meaningless and just thrown out there to get a response. If they like you back then all the better. What is love anyway, other then saying I like you and except you for who you are. Does love say to one person you are committed to you? I have made love to many women, few I tell them I love them. Making love is more of a "I'd like to get to know you better" type thing. I tell my friends I love them, and that means more.
 Cinderella2008
Msg: 14
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 8:11:48 AM
My thoughts have always been ..... Say what you mean and mean what you say for you may never have the chance again. We don't always have the other person feel the same way we do, but at least you were honest with yourself and expressed that honesty. I speak my mind all the time so that I don't ever walk around with regret.
 cowtrucker
Msg: 15
view profile
History
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:10:35 AM
That is such a difficult question. It's one of those questions where there really is no right or wrong answer to it.

If you don't tell the person how you feel, they my never know. You have a 50/50 chance of them reciprocating, or not feeling the same.

The only advice I can offer, is that if you go for a period of time, and never tell the other how you feel, and somewhere down the line, you drift apart. Would it have made a difference?

I'd rather face the consequences of telling someone how I feel, than the pain for the rest of my life, of not knowing what would have happened. It's the kind of pain that eats at you every day of your life... The "What-if"...

As far as people's reactions, everyone is different, and every situation is different. One can't base their relationship off of someone else's. They can only listen to other people's advice, both good or bad, and make their own decisions.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 16
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:16:49 AM

Paint my house?
 carolann0308
Msg: 17
view profile
History
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:19:21 AM
I like to think I am pretty love-able. So I like to hear it and tell others I love them too. I tell my best friends and family all the time. I don't think it has to mean 'lets settle down and start a family' but it's a level of caring and appreciation for what the other person brings into your life.
 kissmeinrome
Msg: 18
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 9:55:09 AM
I would want to know, but I would want them to take their time telling me, making sure they really feel that way. I would really hope they meant it and weren't just saying it because it's something I'd want to hear. If they told me they were in love with me and I felt the same way, I would say it back (and oh man, butterflies would be flying!), but if I didn't feel that way about them, I would tell them that it's very sweet of them to feel that way but I'm just not at that point yet, but it doesn't mean anything negative..

I would also hope that if they were to tell me this, they wouldn't be intoxicated in any way.. that's a mood killer.
 Hazel eyes 57
Msg: 19
view profile
History
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 10:08:57 AM
I agree with bullielover62--I have been there and it was uncomfortable.

I am dating someone now and like him very much, but not to that point. I think he is at that point though. He is a very smart man and knows this and is giving me all the space I need.
 sam-spade
Msg: 20
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 10:10:21 AM
While I haven't know everyone who had a crush on me, I sure knew when they loved me or not. If someone loves you, you know.
 CherylCake
Msg: 21
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 10:29:52 AM
I like that people have a hard time saying the L word. It shouldn't be bantered about lightly. You don't always know if someone is in love. They can have a good poker face. Sometimes it's not appropriate to be in love with a particular person, so they just sit on it. And rightfully so.
I believe love is shown more than said. For me it's a verb.
 MichelleDRB
Msg: 22
view profile
History
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 10:40:39 AM
Me personally, I would not want to know. Because I have no intentions of being in love with anyone but one man and if someone falls in love with me, they need to keep it to themselves. It would ruin the relationship that I had with the person. Unless they were not looking for anything serious. If we could just stay friends, fine. I have friends that I truely love, men and women. If I did fall in love with someone, I would not dare tell the person unless I thought they felt the same. It could really mess up some really good friendships or relationships.
 Sharzi
Msg: 23
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 10:48:23 AM
iwarrior...

Of course I'd want to know if someone loved me. Those three words are so powerful that it would absolutely have an impact in how or if the relationship continues.

If I loved the person back, it would only make things better in my eyes. If I didn't, I wouldn't want to hurt that person, so chances are I would end it. I wouldn't want to string someone along because in the longrun that is cause for a lot of pain that doesn't have to be there.

But OMG... there is nothing like someone looking into your eyes and telling you they love you. The only thing is... if you're going to say it, mean it! Don't change your mind a month later.

Sharzi
 Sharzi
Msg: 24
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 10:56:24 AM
Challenge wrote:

*******Elaine: What, you never said it?

George: Once, to a dog. He licked himself and left the room ******

LOL that was too funny!

Sharzi
 bullielover62
Msg: 25
I'm In Love With You
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:05:36 AM

Paint my house?

Hah! Yeah Eddie..... but could you wait til the snow stops?

Telling someone you love them, when you know they don't and probably never will means it's time to end whatever you have going on, because it's the right thing to do. To continue on would be incredibly inconsiderate towards the one having the deep feelings. Eric, if you want me to "bring it on" you're gonna be waiting a life time babe. bullie don't play 'dat.

It's not a game to me.

If two people are working towards something and one starts to feel it before the other, then fine.... but if the other person is aware that the relationship isn't what it is for the other, then stifle thyself. Blurting it out could spell disaster for whatever it is you have goin' on. Then again, as I stated, it might be the best thing to hear it and end it right away.... sparing the one with loving feelings more hurt in the end.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > "I'm In Love With You"