Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > does it leave you in awe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 normaldude
Msg: 4
view profile
History
does it leave you in awePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
if you check the other forum i think its about 6000 years for age? My ex inlaws laughed at me when a young kid brought a rock to me that contained a fossil and I described the process.
 Stonestongue
Msg: 6
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/12/2008 6:18:29 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head here... In Infinity, there's no reason to run out of wonder because every question answered raises more questions.
 Aknightrmor
Msg: 7
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/12/2008 10:10:26 PM
No, it has left me cold and almost numb, but not so slightly painful and feeling like I know I'll have a nasty sinus infection when I wake up tomorrow.
 strategiki
Msg: 8
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/13/2008 5:52:28 AM
It would stand to reason/logic that, as part of the universe, a self aware or sentient being would cause the universe to grow even more complex at a highly exponential rate. Yet we have not done that, so you tell me, how aware are we?

If you ask me, theres only a small percentage of the population that can truly be considered "aware" and, on the whole, the amount is not great enough to classify the entire species as such. Greece experienced the classical age in 50 years, if they had been allowed to continue they undoubtedly would have entered the machine age or age of mechanics, what the hell have we done that's so great since then? Nothing compares to them, and humanity will try to destroy itself eventually...

Sorry to be a downer, it was a good post.
 maryjanerx
Msg: 10
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/13/2008 7:06:03 PM
the universe did not expand
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 11
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/13/2008 10:38:05 PM

Well considering we can measure the expansion, I suggest you take an astronomy course.

not Astrology, Astronomy.
 Padawan61
Msg: 12
view profile
History
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/13/2008 11:31:55 PM

A recent science article explained that prior to the "Big Bang", the universal mass was condensed into a "ball" about a few centimeters in diameter and came into existent within a nano-second and has been expanding ever since. The "speed" of this expansion is greater than the speed of light, although the speed of expansion isn't considered to be travel speed. It would be analogous to an expanding balloon where the two opposing surfaces are moving away from one another.

Also see: http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/bb_tests_exp.html
 stargazer1000
Msg: 13
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/14/2008 7:55:27 AM
Not only did it expand, the expansion continues today - as evidenced by the fact that light from all the galaxies except the local group is doppler shifted to the longer red wavelengths - and is even speeding up. The exact mechanisms are still being studied. In the meantime, all the elements that make up you, me, trees and cars were all cooked up in earlier generations of stars so, as Carl Sagan pointed out, we're all made of star dust. Now that's awesome!
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 14
view profile
History
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/14/2008 8:09:35 AM
I suspect if an environmental impact study had been filed, the project would have been denied.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 15
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/14/2008 8:21:07 AM
Ponder this one for a while...
In the earliest moments of the Big Bang, as the four fundamental forces were beginning to separate, how they and some 20 different fundamentals of the universe sorted themselves out would have a significant impact on the evolution of the universe. Too strong a strong nuclear force or scalar strength of gravity and the universe reverses its expansion and crunches! Too weak a strong and/or weak nuclear force, and the universe decays. The ratio of matter in the early universe (1 billion particles) to antimatter (1 billion and 1) was crucial.
Now we see the universe as it was and is because of those earliest conditions.
Now, peer into any section of the night sky with a telescope deep enough (except along the plane of the Milky Way) and you will actually see more galaxies than stars. Each galaxy is billions of stars. From what we can tell, most stars in our galaxy appear to have some kind of planetary system. Not all are capable of supporting life, but it is evocative.
So, the universe is here, filled with trillions of galaxies, each with billions of stars and most of which have planets. And then there's you. Unique, individual, infinitesimally small and yet special because, as far as you can tell, there is only you.
How can you not be in awe of that?
 whenyer_strange
Msg: 16
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/14/2008 10:51:55 AM
Only about 5% of humanity seems remotely sentient. I bet the rest just drool on themselves or perform the normal animal routine of eat, sleep, hump, repeat.
 Murf167
Msg: 17
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/14/2008 2:36:18 PM
Some of you who've posted here are wonderful examples of thoughtful, curious, and intellectual people who's company I would enjoy greatly.

Some of you need to put the bong down.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 18
Does It Leave You In Awe?
Posted: 3/15/2008 3:29:16 AM
I'd say it's all part of the master plan for us to eventually populate the Universe, starting with the Earth. One day, human beings will evolve to the point where one shall say those immortal words. . .

"Let there be light."
 drea922
Msg: 22
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/15/2008 1:11:36 PM
Good post stargazer.

and OP, I love the way you worded that.."the universe became self aware"
 Pyro74
Msg: 23
view profile
History
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/16/2008 12:41:30 AM
You should check out the deep field Hubble telescope pictures. Truly mind blowing.
 GentleMuse
Msg: 24
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/16/2008 7:37:53 AM
Hey, Clarence..... I think you need to read "Horton Hears A Who" - good old Dr. Seuss had it down!
 2findU
Msg: 25
view profile
History
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/16/2008 2:09:27 PM
You can't get more awesome then the universe itself. In fact I love to watch "The Universe" on the History Channel.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 27
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/17/2008 12:35:21 AM

Only about 5% of humanity seems remotely sentient. I bet the rest just drool on themselves or perform the normal animal routine of eat, sleep, hump, repeat.

Yes yes, your a special snowflake, only people who share your views are really capable of thoughts.
 Cometchc
Msg: 28
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/25/2008 6:45:45 AM
Yes it leaves me in awe.
We are all stardust.
 Rolling A Long
Msg: 29
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/25/2008 7:47:34 AM
The universe is toast and we are all crumbs.

Awe about life is funny because you were going along ignoring things and then suddenly you notice them and remember, then before you know it, routine thoughts return and on you go as before. If only there was something a person could do to remind themselves at any time they wanted to be in awe, that all they had to do was stop a moment and consider something in that perspective. But no, it is a random occurrence. The feeble powers of the human mind cannot beckon marvel from tedium.
 ZeroSpazz
Msg: 31
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/26/2008 7:13:07 PM
Great thread and some really great posts. For most of my life I would have to consider that I was an athiest. That is until I began to study physics in the limited capacity that I have. Now I find that when you take the theorys of big bang and quantam physics to the end of our understanding, for example the singularity at the begining of the universe, many scientist believe they could be looking at the face of God. And now perhaps I do too.
Einstein once said that he was trying to figure out how God made the universe work. Now I sit and wonder what the church has been so afraid of when it comes to science, for now I have found God.
 The Sage
Msg: 34
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 3/27/2008 1:32:50 AM
What's even more awsome are some of the more recent scientific theories. Alan Guth's non-interactive multi-universes and Andrei Linde's Multiverse. Multi-universe theories in the scientific community have been around for long time. They are just now achieving some interests.

These theories don't differ much from some of the ancient mystical religious philosophies that say there are many dimensions and multiple universes.
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 38
view profile
History
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 9/11/2010 9:24:28 AM
That's a beautiful way to put it.
 abelian
Msg: 42
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:38 AM

Obviously, the element hydrogen couldn't have that origin, because the stars that had the supernovas had to be made of something.

Obviously, but since a hyfrogen nucleus consists of a single proton and there were plenty of free protons and electrons around, it hydrogen wasn't hard to come by. Read ``The First Three Minutes,'' by Steven Weinberg.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 43
does it leave you in awe
Posted: 9/13/2010 7:05:58 AM

'when it comes to science, for now I have found God."

The more I study science, the more I agree with this.

Ironically, I find the opposite to be true. And the worst choice for making the argument for god are the believers. Once you get past the obvious faults in logic, equivocations and even - in some cases - blatant misrepresentations, the easier it becomes to see that "God" isn't necessary.

Of course, that's not to say that you can entirely rule out God's existence. However, when he ceases to be an explanation for anything, he becomes an explanation for absolutely nothing.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > does it leave you in awe