Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > BMI?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sirhugsalot
Msg: 5
view profile
History
BMI?Page 1 of 1    
BMI is worthless for a muscular man as I am. My BMI is 25.8, which if overweight. My percentage bodyfat according to a fairly accurate 7-point caliper test is 13%, or in the middle of the lean range (well below normal but not quite that of a professional athlete)
 junipermoon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
BMI?
Posted: 3/14/2008 10:46:58 AM
bmi measures mass. period. not fat. not muscle. not fitness. not character or worthiness. mass. it tells you how much weight your height (and, by default, frame, give or take bone size) carries. it's neither good nor bad.
 HikingFitGuy
Msg: 11
BMI?
Posted: 3/16/2008 2:44:47 AM
BMI is outdated and not relevant for people with lots of muscle.
 satx78218
Msg: 13
view profile
History
BMI?
Posted: 3/23/2008 5:14:38 PM
Very few people, esp women, have misleading BMI due to above-average musculation or 'heavy bones".

At his peak, Arnold, and probably all professional male body builders, have a BMI of 30+, obese.

BMI is very crude, but if you are an average person with a BMI of 30, you're obese, and the mirror would confirm.

Percentage body fat seems to be the best indicator.

Fat can be stored sub-cutaneously, in the muscles, and around the organs of the abdomen, with visceral fat "associated with" the greatest health risk. Waist-to-hips ratio is the usual measure of visceral fat.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 16
view profile
History
BMI?
Posted: 4/1/2008 10:26:55 AM
The BMI Index and charts are all bullsh!t.

According to the BMI Index I should weigh no more than 155 lbs at my current height of 5'-8". Yeah.....neat trick. I'd look like a twig.

I am 190 lbs and have a bodyfat measurement of 10%. I am in excellent condition and really like the way I look.

My family doctor took his chart off the wall and threw it away because of me.
 satx78218
Msg: 17
view profile
History
BMI?
Posted: 4/1/2008 11:23:11 AM
Here's more evidence that BMI is useless, that for some people, a "normal" BMI is still too much fat:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080327172025.htm

It's not "(BMI) normal weight obesity", it's just obesity.

%age body fat seems to be the best measure.

According to this body fat measurement, I'm about 17% :

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > BMI?