Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Photography      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AbstractAstra
Msg: 2
view profile
History
PhotographyPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I like photography and altering my photos. Abstract is my favourite
 GalwayGirl
Msg: 3
Photography
Posted: 3/15/2008 6:41:55 PM
Have you gone digital, or still using film? I tend to stick to nature, flowers, birds, ocean etc, but thinking of trying something new. I still use slide film, but also have a digital SLR. I like black and white, and I'm just starting to learn some things about Photoshop.
 AbstractAstra
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/15/2008 6:45:56 PM
I have a digital camera. It allows me to do endless manipulation on the computer, and means I can take all the photos I want without paying for film development! Plus when I did have a film camera, the shops I got my photos developed at kept damaging my negatives and giving me poor quality prints. A waste of money.
 MD1111
Msg: 6
Photography
Posted: 3/18/2008 4:51:45 AM
I have been painting for a long time and just started to work on my bachelors in web design, which has sparked my interest in photography. I am looking for a inexpensive digital slr camera that I can play with. If anyone is selling please let me know.
 kornbluth
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/18/2008 10:59:51 AM
One fairly-recent advance is that now even cheap scanners come with a film tray. So if you have 35mm negs and slides, you can save them digital. I scan them at 1200 dpi at least, no sharpening and in TIF format.
 plumpassion
Msg: 8
Photography
Posted: 3/18/2008 12:46:26 PM
I'm a little into photography. It seems that when Im trying to capture a good pic it turns out like crap but the minute i stop trying I get gold!
 Mitz BeeHaven
Msg: 9
Photography
Posted: 3/18/2008 2:24:20 PM
Isn't that the truth PlumPassion...

Yes, I am into Photography, but not as a profession or to sell prints.

I do many other things with my photographs.

Currently working on capturing the differences between lighting, shadows,
and shading. How that applies to my subject.

Probably not what you are asking for. I also use Digital, I have turned in
the 35 mm. Paying for photos that do not turn out, who would not use
digital these days.
 kornbluth
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/19/2008 5:23:47 AM
" It seems that when Im trying to capture a good pic it turns out like crap…"
-----------------
One elementary thing, that may not be obvious, is to hold the camera as still and steady as you possibly can. The extreme example would be a tripod and timed shutter release. In the days of 35mm I used to assume that fast film and fast shutter would stop all motion blur, but apparently not. Your pulse alone causes the camera to shake, and if you zoom in, it's magnified. Of course you're not going to haul a tripod everywhere. So, look for a place to prop your back, butt or elbows before you shoot. You didn't say clarity is your problem, but it usually is for people who only point and shoot offhand.
 Autumn Marie
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/19/2008 7:10:24 PM
I'm not sure what makes someone a "professional photographer", but I have people tell me that I am a professional, likely because I have been paid for assignments. However, I do not have a DSLR camera in my possession as of yet, so there are people, especially other photographers who do not consider me to be a professional photographer.

One thing I do know, is that photography is my calling in life. For me it is an extreme passion, so when I do not have a camera with me, it is painful. I plan to open my own photography studio someday, I'm just not keen at this time in my life, of having so much debt. Heh.

I was close to done working on my portfolio online, when I saw one of my pictures on another website, whose source did not credit me. That made me a tad paranoid. So my photography won't hit the internet publically again, until I have all my photos watermarked. ^_^

Have you plans to have your own work in an online portfolio format also?
Do you deal in digital, film, or both?

I sort of skimmed over this thread, heh, I do that sometimes. So if you've answered these questions already, just disregard them.
 punkplayin
Msg: 12
Photography
Posted: 3/19/2008 8:39:19 PM
i love photography and from what people tell me i guess im pretty good at it haha..i like doin scenery shots..just never really get a chance to shoot somewhere cool..i loved when i was in hawaii last yr though..got some amazing pictures there...but when im at home i love doin concert photography..seems i have a nac for doin it..
 JacquelineS
Msg: 13
Photography
Posted: 3/20/2008 2:31:13 PM
I was a photog for 10 years. Shot commercial and editorial. Also shot video for a few years. I still have an occasional shoot, mostly some form of production shots from time to time. I don't pursue it anymore, I'm into so many forms of digital media now it's not funny.
 kornbluth
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/20/2008 4:17:22 PM
"I'm not sure what makes someone a "professional photographer", but I have …been paid for assignments."
------------------------
That's the first qualification. If someone is better than you but can't sell pix, then he's not a proffessional.
------------------------
"However, I do not have a DSLR camera in my possession as of yet, so there are people, especially other photographers who do not consider me to be a professional photographer."
------------------------
Oh. The gadgets arms-race. You're no good unless you have the latest equipment. That's what Goliath thought about David, what the US military thought about Ho Chi Minh. The artist Giotto is said to have drawn a perfect circle with a pencil and an arm-swoop, while most people can't draw flies with their own halitosis. Work with what you've got, and you'll have results.
------------------------
"Do you deal in digital, film, or both?"
------------------------
Digital for me now, but I'm sure the old pros have good reason to use both. You probably already know this about film, but it's better to send it to a real film lab than to some 1-hour franchise. While Robin Williams was conscientious in his movie obout this, most of the time you'll get dust, improper chemicals and strange colors.
 Autumn Marie
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/21/2008 10:53:24 PM
Thank you for responding, it put a smile on my face, a a renewed confidence.

I know what you mean about the 1-hr service. I once got back prints of nothing. I was angry as heck, i was so careful with that film, there's no way it was blank or over exposed, or under exposed, etc. I took the same film to a different place, and lone behold there was photos.

Part of me wants to go to back to film, but I love digital too much.
 ________
Msg: 16
Photography
Posted: 3/22/2008 4:55:48 PM
Eugène Atget was a photographer.

It is very hard to make a decent living from photography without doing the contract work. And even if you are willing and able to live like a struggling artist -- then you better be good -- because even in that niche it's not easy to make enough money to survive... Eugène Atget didn't and he might have been the best to ever live. (In my view at least)

The "problem" with digital photo art is that is just too easy -- take 1000 photos you are bound to get at least one artistic result -- even with no photographic talent at all...(Of course there are those that can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory even with those odds [usually the people with at least $15,000 invested in camera equipment])
 kornbluth
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/24/2008 4:50:48 AM
"I know what you mean about the 1-hr service. I once got back prints of nothing. I was angry as heck, i was so careful with that film, there's no way it was blank or over exposed, or under exposed, etc. I took the same film to a different place, and lone behold there was photos."
--------------------------
Do what? Surely you looked at your negs and saw they had images. Otherwise they would not have printed the second time. Sounds like the help at the 1-hour…well, it sounds like low pay, crummy working conditions and no training, and you get what you pay for. If I were still using 35 film, I think I would send it to a quality lab for developing and a contact sheet. I have negs 30 years old, done right, that are better than I'm seeing from quickie-processing today. And of course film deteriorates, so ya better scan the good frames before they're all gone.
--------------------------
"The "problem" with digital photo art is that is just too easy -- take 1000 photos you are bound to get at least one artistic result --"
 kornbluth
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/24/2008 4:55:55 AM
"The "problem" with digital photo art is that is just too easy -- take 1000 photos you are bound to get at least one artistic result --"
----------------
Well sh*t. Cut myself off. Digital is easy until you post a pic on the 'Net and it's turned into a pud-pie, or see it on another monitor as a pixellated mess. Bitmaps get compressed, sharpened, expanded and otherwise distorted once they're out of your hands. So there's a lot to learn about prepping individual pix for specific venues.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/24/2008 7:09:35 PM
I have an Olympus OM4-Ti with a 28mm...50mm macro...200mm zoom....and a doubler lens.
With that kind of weight, it's really hard to get "picture purfect"....even with the tripod...but when it does happen, man, the detail lasts even when I enlarge it. Full moon shots included.

I'd like a DSLR that has the same potential....any ideas, experiences that anyone may have will be greatly appreciated!
 that sam i am
Msg: 21
Photography
Posted: 3/24/2008 10:49:37 PM
While we're at it, Gary Winogrand, Henri Cartier Bresson and Robert Frank were all amazing photographers and amazingly broke.
 rider of tubes
Msg: 22
Photography
Posted: 3/25/2008 12:41:13 AM
I'm not a photographer but have taken numerous photography classes as pre graphic design major. what GalwayGirl said was right, do something different if you can, everything in art/photography/design has been done over and over.

Portfolio-wise? only put in your strongest pieces, listen to you gut instinct..if you're thinking too long about if you should put it in or not...don't put it in. Only strong pieces. The beginning and end of your portfolio should be the stongest pieces have your 3rd strongest piece in the middle.

good luck
 FrenchKnight
Msg: 23
Photography
Posted: 3/25/2008 6:07:03 PM
Well i have studied black and white photography but that was years ago. I am however a Graphic Designer so any of you that need an opinion about a portfolio i cangive some thoughts.
 Obsidius
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/26/2008 8:50:04 PM
I've been doing photography for about 10 years. I started using digital 4 years ago and I must have taken close to 10,000 photos ranging anywhere from bands to nature to other events, even doing potential paranormal photography. I seriously need to get some more thumb drives because I'm running out of storage space once again
 Gypsygirl29
Msg: 25
Photography
Posted: 3/26/2008 10:20:51 PM
I just got into photography and am looking for a really nice digital camera. I love doing single portraits and couple portraits, would love to do photo shoots with models. I do like the style of black and white photos, and with the exception of landscape and scenery photos, use black and white for portraits.
 BroadwayGal88
Msg: 26
Photography
Posted: 3/27/2008 11:40:09 AM
I do Photography... i've been at it for a couple years now and do mostly landscapes...i just got into Digital because its easier for my clients to see my work online but i prefer my good ol 35mm black and white photography.
 brakishblonde59
Msg: 27
Photography
Posted: 3/28/2008 2:32:54 PM
I also do photography but not professionaly. I'm more interested in the digital image processing aspects like color management, Raw processing and calibration among others.

What I don't understand is since digital camera's are everywhere and dirt cheap making it quite easy to take a decent photo of one's self, why are there so many bad photos posted in profiles? I'm mainly speaking about profiles in my local area of Texas.

Is there a section on this site that gives tips for taking better photos such as good lighting without using flash, proper incamera compression jpeg settings allowing a simple upload without post processing?

Or does another thread need to be created for that?
 kornbluth
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/29/2008 6:40:48 AM
"Is there a section on this site that gives tips for taking better photos such as good lighting without using flash, proper incamera compression jpeg settings allowing a simple upload without post processing?"
-----------------------
I would do compression and most all adjustments in a bitmap program like Photo-Paint or PhotoShop, and not in the camera. Let the camera capture as much data as it can, and work in TIF format rather than JPEG which is "lossy."

To upload a JPEG for a particular website, I would look for its guidelines. If these don't specify a maximum dimension—height or width—then I would look for good pix on the site and right-click for Properties. Then I would make my JPEG fit within those limits. If you find, say, 300 pixels to be the maximum height and you send a pic that's 400 pixels tall, then it will be compressed by somebody/something else, and not by you.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Photography