Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Almost 50 and starting to hate mirrors      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marysingle
Msg: 6
Almost 50 and starting to hate mirrorsPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I think you gave a great answer and rule #1 really gives me something to think about and is something i should be doing.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 7
Almost 50 and starting to hate mirrors
Posted: 3/16/2008 6:15:23 PM
God, yes, I didn't have a mirror in my bathroom for 6 months. Now I have a "skinny mirror" in there--I suggest one of those!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/16/2008 6:27:48 PM

I remember being in my car one day and it one of those bright sunny day and I happened to glance in my visor mirror and the sun was reflecting on me just so, and I noticed for the first time that my neck had started to have this...this...THIS rooster type ugly looking skin if I turned a certain way....damn...I just about died right there...haha!

I'd say :"Hilarious" -- *except* I had virtually the same thing happen yesterday, lol! Was waiting for my honey, and pulled down the visor, AND. . . . I nearly left: who would want *that old woman*? Then he showed, saw me, and his face turned totally radiant looking at me. And stayed that way virtually for four hours. I now know what a banana spit must feel like, being surveyed by a hungry human being ~grin~

Love is a lovely thing. . . .

But stay away from visor mirrors on sunny days. . . . some things are just better not to know, lol!!

*mae* flowers
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/16/2008 8:28:10 PM
...It depends, some days I get up in the morning and feel a hundred years old, then I look in the mirror and my mother is staring back at me. Other days, I can look at my reflection and say, "not too bad for 50 something".... Its all about attitude and lots of sleep haha.

...maeflowers
 ankkka
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/17/2008 7:08:26 AM
You hate mirror...if you don't have anybody to tell you ...how wonderful you are.

Aging for people should be blessing...not the curse.
I'm happy with my wrinkles...and I'm happy that people I did not see for long time...recognize me.
 Celticmist
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/18/2008 6:05:40 AM
I don't call them wrinkles - I call them crinkles. They grew on my face from laughter and smiles, so they make me smile again when I see them. The grey hair is my badge of honour, courage, and humour, that I have lived this long and still enjoy life - as for the pores, try Neutrogena's Pore Refining Toner - it works wonders.
 My I
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/18/2008 8:45:25 AM
I love those distortion mirrors normally fiound at amusement parks. Depending on the mirror I can shape myself to many configurations... I love being in denial.

Maybre I am strange but, I've always been attracted to mature women who show some sign of aging. As of right now I am totally infactuted with actress Diane Lane. There are a few POF profiles that caught my eye as well.

On the other hand I do not seem to be attracted to women who sunbathe excessively... their appearance as they age doesn't look natural. I have a friend who is 45 yet looks 145 years old (sarcasm but you get my point) because of her years in the sun.

Natural aging can make women look very sensual and very desirable... especially when dressed well.
 satx78218
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2008 9:38:54 AM
Most of this thread is about mirrors from the neck up. wrinkles, grey hair, ...

But mirrors provide the really crushing horror stories ... from the neck down!

Is modern medicine really doing us a favor by increasing longevity only to end of with this visual mess?
 Challenge
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/18/2008 6:56:13 PM
I have no issues with mirrors..........they have issues with me.
 ldytrkr
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/19/2008 10:32:36 AM
I too am quickly nearing the top of the hill. Yes I am aging and the wrinkles are there grey hair too. Me and miss Clairol are great friends lol although I dont really care about the grey just wish I was born with the color that she can give me. The wrinkles are enevitable so I am not trying to look twenty anymore am happy looking how I do. I think my greatest asset is my personality and that wont ever get old. So Ladies and gents remember to live each day to the fullest and take it as a gift, yes you might be waking up older but you are waking up lol
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 45
Almost 50 and starting to hate mornings
Posted: 3/19/2008 12:41:33 PM
The glass shiny side isn't supposed to face the wall. Turn the mirror around.
======================================

But that picture is so ugly?!
 fancynanci
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2008 11:14:15 AM
Be good and kind-hearted, and you will learn to love your own reflection in the mirror.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/20/2008 5:22:06 PM
...If you don't like what you see...get another opinion.

...maeflowers
 stevelfun
Msg: 51
Posted: 3/21/2008 4:22:58 AM
You know that you are getting old when......

Ibuprofen becomes a 'food group'.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/21/2008 9:09:56 AM
....Hmmm, I just recently switched to Ibuprofen. * mental note to self* add Tylenol to shopping list.

...maeflowers
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 5:23:05 PM
Ok well a little advice.. don't look into a mirror bending over.. only look into a mirror when you are lying flat on your back buahahaahah rofl... Now THAT is why I don't get on top.. oooops did I say that???
 HereN916
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/21/2008 6:59:59 PM
I have found one thing to help: just remember when you get on top, stay in the sitting position..............
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/22/2008 9:43:27 AM

I guess i'm lucky i wasn't much of a looker when i was younger...
and the 'on top' comment...once there, keep looking at the ceiling...never down (where gravity falls!!!)

....That reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend. We were talking about Mel Gibson at the time and she said, "Oh Ila, wouldn't you just love to be looking up into those beautiful blue eyes of his?"......My response, "yeah, I don't think I'd want to be on top and looking down"

...maeflowers
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/23/2008 9:54:33 AM

Candy, I LOVE that...............so true! I still feel beautiful inside most of the time but I sure don't look it anymore! At least not in my opinion!

...Thats "your" opionion. I think you look fantasic. No, seriously, I do....you have an infectious smile and a very youthful look about you. Never would I have guessed you to be 58.

...maeflowers
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/16/2008 6:12:07 PM
...My son-in-law says that you know how the daughter is going to turn out just by looking at her mother...and he says he lucked out. He's been my favourite son-in-law ever since haha

...maeflowers
 clasact
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2008 7:05:25 PM
I have no problem with mirrors. I use them frequently to make certain everything is STILL where it's supposed to be......and it is ......for the time being.
However, there's a certain inner beauty that shows on the outside as one ages and all the things learned over a lifetime. When I look at that face staring back at me in the mirror I see and produce a big grin and think.............."If they ONLY knew what was going on inside of my head". ~snicker~
 arwen52
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 7:31:30 PM
If I had known that 55 would look and feel this good, I would have done it sooner! I do not color the grey or even use makeup, but I'm in good shape, usually smiling, and guys young enough to be my kid tell me that because of it they think I'm attractive. I feel much better about my appearance than when I was younger, probably because I feel much better about myself.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/17/2008 9:52:55 PM

One of the downsides, to my LASIK surgery, is being able to see MYSELF clearly, first thing in the morning

...Oh good grief, looks like that might be a question I may need to ask on the first date,...."you didn't happen to get lasik eye surgery did you?"

...maeflowers
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/19/2008 12:16:42 PM
...we all see different things when we look into a mirror and we are our own worst critic. I have good days and bad days depending on my mood, my health and how much sleep I've had. And your right, sometimes people can breathe life into us, their good for our ego and good for our soul. Just having someone who "cares" about you makes a difference in how you view yourself.

...maeflowers
 PosterChild4Ugly
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2008 12:51:16 AM
Well, maybe the mirror isn't the "friend" it once was but ...

The Mirror©

Sunshine shoots through the windows and fills the house with grace,
Ricochets around the room and finds my weathered face.

Standing at a mirror I see refracted light
On wrinkles, lines and eyes of mine reflected to my sight.

The youth that once looked back at me
Has gone – I know not where – in vain I search the glass, and find: No … it isn’t there.

Instead I see the wrinkles – they are stress of many years
Produced by times of doubt and my unfounded fears.

My eyes see lines and furrows as they track across my face
Hard times are buried there as my eyes complete the trace.

At the corners of my eyes I see a pair of old “crows feet”
They’re etched there forever from those times my life was sweet.

A lifetime full of memories comes bouncing off the glass
A memory consumes me - as I feel still more time pass.

In the Winter of a lifetime, ‘tis memories that come to stay
Oh, thank God I have them – pray they never go away.

I turn from my glass mirror – that used to be my friend
As thoughts of those reflections I try to comprehend.

My face it is my diary of experience I’ve had
And then I tell myself: “You know … those lines …
they really aren’t so bad.”

j. hogan clark - 2001
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Almost 50 and starting to hate mirrors