Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating site      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yaneverknow3
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Lose the sweater :)

Seriously, I consider myself just average looking guy who has had some success meeting people on this site. I am certainly not a smooth talker and can get completely tongue tied sometimes unless the woman carries the conversation :). I had have a couple good face to face meetings with some very nice woman, just not the chemistry I expected yet.
Though my higher age bracket most likely has different expectations on both sides then your age bracket.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 11
Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?
Posted: 3/25/2008 11:39:45 PM
Don't know. You could say it was love at first site, lol!

Took ten months though.

AdrianEsquire
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/26/2008 6:20:49 AM
I agree. On other dating sites women are friendlier and more willing to meet.
 TheLimey
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 7:12:29 AM
I've been here less than a month & have been contaced by at least 40 women...
 AdrianEsquire
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/26/2008 8:08:20 AM
TheLimey -- "I've been here less than a month & have been contaced by at least 40 women..."

Not like that in Ohio, I'm afraid.
 ForeverLong
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 9:29:07 PM
This works better than the pay sites, everyone here can reply to emails. On those other sites you can email a 1000 women and most probably can't reply because they are not paying members. But it probably doesn't matter much since most women don't reply anyway. At least here you know they can if they want to. I used to get dates from here but not a long term keeper. That kind of put a damper on things and I just come here for the forums now.
 Kat90504
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/26/2008 10:34:12 PM
I can't say if it works for me or not quite yet - only joined about a week ago. Have exchanged some emails and talked to just one on the phone and will hopefully meet soon. We shall see what happens.

Honestly I don't see the "real" difference between this site and some of the paid ones I've been on. Like someone mentioned - it just depends on who you end up talking to and feel a connection with. I was on eHarmony for a year and met a handful of guys - none of which I felt a true connection with. I met some from another site that did not control who you were matched with and felt stronger connections with one or two of those men I dated - but again, no lasting connections - hence why I'm still here!

I, like many others, joined POF because it's a free site - I felt that perhaps I was putting too much pressure on myself to meet a great guy and have a great and lasting connection with him BECAUSE I was paying for the site I met them on (if that made any sense).

Hopefully the best is yet to come - whether it be from POF or someplace else!

Good luck everyone!
 latinlady58
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 7:49:49 AM
this site is not any different except that it is free, it all depends on alot of things, now a days people hide behind there PC's. a no thank you , would be nice, if not interested fine.People play games even adults they think the grass is greener on the other side.one person will be chatting with 15 people and be interested in how many..........? probably none looking for games or does not know what they want.So if no one replys to your email go to the next one, keep your head up.maybe to some people this is all fun playing with people feelings, every dog hasd his day.Anyway i have not been on here long but it is ok for me,I have not met anyone that i am dating.I met many, but out of all of them one worth dating but he does not ask.Everyone let us all enjoy the forums and stay busy one day we shall fine our mate.
 veloise
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 8:59:51 AM

I read your profile ...

Me too. Your main photo doesn't show you to best advantage. The one in front of the wall could use some cropping (show more of your face, less of the backdrop). Try adjusting the balance and contrast levels so that your features are actually visible. And smile, dammit!
(You might do a "my matches" search on your fellow men and see how their photos appear. While I like the busy background shots, sometimes it's hard to gauge them; just don't work well as a main profile pic.)

Also, you might have more success by checking a different box to indicate why you're on here. (Mine formerly was set to "long term," and that's what I looked for.)

How about adding more keywords and details to your interests. Cars? What about them? What kinds of movies? Outdoors bungie jumping or hunting or building bike trails or sailing boats or running or walking or ...? (I can refer you to a remarkably complete profile that, ahem, caught my attention.) Feel free to look at mine to see what I'm describing.

Census shows 77,000 people in your town. Must be one or two of them who'd be interested...best of luck to you! HTH!
 BDRT
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/28/2008 8:09:37 PM
I have met a few men from here, but nothing clicked. That's more than I can say about any other site, and real life isn't working much for me either, so I guess POF is still on top. I mostly come and play here on the forums, but as I have said before, not giving up hope of finding someone. I haven't gotten an email in weeks, so it might be awhile before I find him though!
 ItsMargo
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 9:19:00 PM
Well, wouldn't it be the consensus of most of the people here that they haven't had success? They are still here.

There's some of us inveterate forumers who found someone here, so it does work. You only know about us, cuz we didn't leave. (although some of you can't figure out why, lol)

Check out the testimonials, there's people leaving daily because they found someone.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/28/2008 11:18:50 PM

As another poster stated, it's 5 men for every woman, so the women (especially the younger and better looking ones) can afford to be a lot more picky.

Nope. It's not even two to one. (Do a thread search, it's on a bunch of times.)

I *do* understand that if you think the competition is really that fierce, that you may feel better. . . . But it really doesn't do you any good to just *feel* better. Much better to take a look at yourself: because that's ALL you can change.

And just as information: the most successful man I've *ever* known with women (of any height) was 5'2". He just loved women, wholly and entirely, and showed it. It worked.

BWhoUR2
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 1:52:21 PM
I think I've read all of my incoming messages. I, however, do not respond to all.

If someone is more than 10 years younger than me, I don't respond.
If someone's profile doesn't interest me, I don't respond. I used to to say "Sorry, based on your profile, I'm not interested", but then there's a 3 email exchange of why I'm not interested in him based on his profile.
If someone asks for personal email or phone number in the first exchange, I don't respond.
If someone doesn't write a personalized message, like saying specifically what they liked in my profile or start with BWho UR, I don't respond. (Spam)

So...my advice... pay attention to the message you are sending... Also realize there are a lot more men on here than women. (you can test this by doing a search for first MSF with a specific age range and doing the same search of FSM with the same age range.) You'd think meeting someone to spend time with is easy as pie.... it isn't.
 flyingiguana
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 4:09:01 PM
none of them work for me, but at least i can troll forums here!
 fastdogphotog
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2011 7:24:03 AM
First off, I hate bringing back old threads, but that's the way the forums are intended to work, so . . .

Not too long ago, the issue of online dating came up on another forum site where I am active. Several people there spoke rather highly of a certain other free site, so I decided to give it a try. And, boy was I surprised. The difference between that site and POF was like night and day.

Instead of one or two word messages (usually "hi", "hello" or "handsome"), I received well written messages commenting on or questioning something from my profile. And, the women sending the messages actually shared things in common with me. Similarly, while I didn't get a response to every message I sent, I did get a fair number of more responses there than I have here in a long time, and the responses led to at least some back and forth.

Interestingly, and somewhat as a side note, having been on that site for a couple of months now, I have noticed first contacts messages drop off significantly. So, a part of what I experienced probably had to do with the whole "fresh meat" phenomenon. But still, considering the difference in QUALITY of contacts, and responses, it still makes me wonder about the differences between POF and other sites, both free and paid; especially considering there are a LOT of the same people on most of these sites.

Anyone else experience anything similar?
Assuming I am not the only one to notice this phenomenon, what could it be about POF that causes it?
Could it be the sheer size and the perceived number of "options"?
Could it be something to do with the layout and design of the site?
 curlygrl
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2011 3:40:17 PM
^^^^

Thanks for the laugh.

Op- it takes alot of time here and even that may not work.

I would never do this again to be honest. I met a total of
ten guys here - not including the one I live with which
I met on the forums.

Only three I can say were honestly great guys and any
girl meeting those three would be very lucky.

One was in the Airforce.
One was taking care of his sick mom and moved
here for a time.
One was in IT and a band.

The others:
one was married but said he was divorced
one was living with his girlfriend
one was an alcoholic and drank all day
one was shorter than me but was 5'9
one was a cop
one was a cop again
one thought we might be family

Nope. Never again.
 abelian
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/4/2011 6:10:09 AM
I met my fiancee here, despite the fact that I've been single my entire life and was pretty much opposed to ever getting married. I was dating here for about 6 months before meeting her. In that time, I talked to a LOT of women, met quite a few and I had to give some thought to starting a relationship with my fiancee. My fiancee was determined to never get maried again (which is quite funny when listening to her friends and family remind her of that), but she was here less than a month when she contacted me. On eHarmony, she had zero interest in even meeting the guys eHarmony matched her with. So yeah, pof works, but pof like other online dating, requires adapting your style of dating to fit the medium, including developing a thick skin. If for some reason, my fiancee and I were to part ways, I wouldn't even bother dating the old fashioned way ever again.
 OutMind
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/4/2011 12:54:00 PM
To make a sale you have to knock a lot of doors. And as each door opens and you smile and say your thing only to have the door slam on your face, you learn. Next time I will try this, or that, and you LEARN to communicate, to start connecting, to be unique, to disarm. So guys, READ her profile, right there the lady is giving you the keys to her heart. Most of the time it may seem hidden and in code. But it's there.

And you know the best part. Some woman out there really, really wants to meet you.
 jujubean52
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2011 1:29:34 PM
I hear from lots of guys but i live in the middle of nowhere so even the guys with planes won't spend a few dollars to fly in.
I don't want to even talk on the phone to men who only like the way i look , but have no interest in common.
I write to everyone who writes even if they look like they escaped from a mental institution and got their photo taken with the first mobile phone they could steal.... but I am not gonna meet them. My compromise is to go to the eventsand if someone wants to get a headstart in wooing me they need to get on the site and get some talking points and then when we meet at our own expense maybe if it doesn't work out just turn your head and talk to the woman on your left!!! i will be attending the 4th annual tubing/camping trip on June 11 at canyon lake, Texas. Would love to have a POF cruise out of Galveston. I like crowds but don't wanna cut my night short to fulfill anyone else's needs or desires. It is just that simple. so there. a woman's point of view. j
 ICtheLite
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2011 10:46:14 AM
FastDog: When I first decided to join a dating site I had no idea what I was doing and paid for a single month on several just to find out what it was all about. I do think there is a difference in the people (not all) on paid sites versus POF. It's kind of the difference between going to the local county fair to walk around for free ...or... making a plan and paying to go to Cedar Point or Six Flags, lol. Sure the county fair can be fun but if not, you can jump in your car and go home at any time. You haven't invested much and you can wait for the next one nearby. Here, I keep my profile hidden most of the time.

You're not the only one, and yes, I do think the number of 'options' is part of it. Those perceived numbers are just that. Because POF is free, there are a lot of people here who are just curious, trying to get over a bad relationship, looking for validation, players, grass might be greener types, married.... for them, free is good and it's easy. There are those on other sites too though, I just think that overall, there are less of them if they have to pay for it. Annnnnddddddd, I could be wrong, lol. JMHO
 fastdogphotog
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2011 6:50:24 PM

I do think there is a difference in the people (not all) on paid sites versus POF.

That was part of what was so interesting - the site I was on was a free site, not a paid site. And, there are a lot of the same people from here on there as well.
 OutMind
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/6/2011 12:50:04 PM
This is what many women have said to me. In here you get like 300 emails in one weekend. They say that is overwhelming and the quality is not that good. They do get a lot of emails on the Paying site, but the quality is better.

In my experience I would say it's 3 to 1 in favor of the paying site. Yet I have had responses from this site.

Another difference is that in some other sites you actually develop a conversation, but perhaps because the women are so inundated with emails most women's answers tend to be less than two paragraphs.
 Genuine_guy_
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/26/2013 10:38:53 PM
Hey OP I used a few different dating sites (OK cupid, Lavalife, and perhaps 1 other I don't remember) before using POF. Lavalife sucked. It was expensive and the number of people signed up was low in my city (Toronto), I never got a single date out of it and probably blew 80-100 bucks. I don't remember doing much on . POF has been different. The sheer volume of people on here is insane. There are literally thousands upon thousands of women in my demographic and city and I've gone on a lot of dates off POF. While most of them didn't turn into a relationship I still met interesting people and had a good time.
As other people said, the people on POF are just like people in real life, so you run into the same kinds of things. If you're just an average joe and you only message the absolute hottest girls on POF and don't get a reply, well, that should't be surprising. If you went up to those same girls at a bar or club do you expect they would flirt with you? Probably not.
There are a few differences with internet dating, though. People can definitely be more picky. Many women, for example, will claim they will only date a man 5'10'' and taller but then they meet a great guy who's 5'7'' and fall for him - in real life. I've seen that happen. But on a dating site that same women is extremely likely to simply look at a guy's profile and say "nope, he's 5'7'', not even going to talk to him". I'm guilty of this too I suppose. On POF I will never message a woman who claims she's religious, as I'm an athiest, but then in real life I have definitely fallen for women who are religious. So I guess I'm saying that yes, people are more picky. But you can compensate for that by the fact that yo ucan interact with people much more quickly on the internet and if you put in the time you can find someone who meets your criteria.
 Truth556
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/27/2013 12:03:50 AM
A lot less single moms on OK cupid and match than on pof. Maybe I should try those 2 sites more instead of wasting my time on this shithole.
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/27/2013 8:42:25 PM
An internet dating site is an internet dating site and they are all the same, even including the same people on them. If it wasn't for the forums to entertain myself with, I would be one any dating sites. I meet more dating prospects out in the real world than I do here.

At least you don't have shills here sending you emails just as your subscription is expiring trying to get you to renew your membership and spend more money.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?