Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Instant Manifestation = I don't understand my man      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~FLEETER~
Msg: 2
Instant Manifestation = I don't understand my manPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Ever hear the phrase...Having your cake and eating it too?
It appears your boyfriend has 'manifested' for himself...an ideology that allows him to sample whatever flavor of cake is offered...leaving you to sweep up the crumbs. If he in fact does believe this mullarky you are nothing more than a manifestation too and therefore do not exist either.

Since he appears to have a somewhat skewed sense of reality....well not the typical norm...Have you wondered...if he should impregnate you...would the manifestation of that reality end your relationship...or would he do the right thing and help you parent his non-existing child? Either way...there is always the manifestation of child support imposed by the manifestation of our legal system. Twenty one years of paying for that i daresay would lead to a reality all of it's own.

While he appears an interesting case study in self-centeredness...are you sure he is YOUR manifest destiny?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Instant Manifestation = I don't understand my man
Posted: 3/28/2008 7:09:49 AM
I suggest that you turn around to him, and tell you that if he thinks the whole world is a manifestation of him, then you agree with that totally and have adopted it for your own. So you have concluded that the whole world is a manifestation of your mind, including him, and you aren't having sex with a manifestation. You want a real man.

When he points out that everyone would be a manifestation, so you can't have sex with anyone, you can just answer that it would be unfair to not have sex with someone who believes and acts like he's real, just because he's not real, because he really doesn't do anything different than a real man. So you are going out to have sex with someone who acts like a real man.

Put it simply to him. Act like a real man, and you'll act like a real woman. Keep with the BS, and you'll sleep with other men, but not him, ever.

This guy is a smarta** and an a**hole. If you ask me, you're better off without him.
 father3
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 8:34:17 PM

Explain to him gently that you didn't really kick him in the nuts, because you don't really exist. It was simply an experience his subconscious (or perhaps his immortal soul) decided it needed to have, and so manifested for his greater good.

I couldn't have come up with a better solution if I had searched my mind for weeks!

It boggles the mind why such posts are posted in a science/philosophy forum. Why do non-scientists feel the need to validate their pseudo-sciences with people of a science leaning, and post here?
 AwP
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 8:41:10 AM
His philosophy is flawed. If you are just a manifestation of his, how do you manifest your own emotions and hypothetical cheat-mates? You would have to be a real person to do your own manifesting, which means other people are real too. He's trying to have it both ways and the logic doesn't work. He's a dumbass and probably a selfish one to boot.

It boggles the mind why such posts are posted in a science/philosophy forum. Why do non-scientists feel the need to validate their pseudo-sciences with people of a science leaning, and post here?

Where does the OP claim it's science? As you noted yourself, it's science AND philosophy. This mindset of the OP's man qualifies as philosophy, flawed as it is. Why do people who can't philosophize feel the need to vent on a philosophy thread?
 ~FLEETER~
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/29/2008 1:09:57 PM

Where does the OP claim it's science? As you noted yourself, it's science AND philosophy. This mindset of the OP's man qualifies as philosophy, flawed as it is. Why do people who can't philosophize feel the need to vent on a philosophy thread?

for the same reason....

non-scientists feel the need to validate their pseudo-sciences with people of a science leaning and post here

...because they CAN...
 JustDukky
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/30/2009 5:09:42 PM

He said that if he did go and sleep with another woman, that if I felt pain from his action, then that would be my problem, since I manifested the pain.

I'd be inclined to tell him (in the presence of a couple of not-so-imaginary burly cops as witnesses) I'd rather live in and manifest my own reality than share what is to me, the nonexistent, but hurtful illusion of his. I would then say goodbye and express to him the clear understanding that your incompatible realities will never intersect again.

He sounds pretty self-serving and has created a f*cked-up philosophy to accommodate his selfish desires that allows him to evade his moral obligation to respect the rights of others by claiming they don't exist, thus keeping his abhorrent acts off his conscience by pretending it's only a dream anyway. The man is IMHO, an immoral, selfish, "slick talker." Don't be taken in by his BS and don't trust him not to be violent if he doesn't get his own way.

When you walk out (as you should), I wouldn't want the guy anywhere near a weapon; he might possibly be so lost in his delusions as to believe some of them, so PRUDENCE , CAUTION and SELF-PROTECTION are absolute musts in any dealings with this potential nut-job. He is so self-serving that walking out could place you in physical danger and he is not to be trusted in the least to simply "live & let live", so govern yourself accordingly, for your own sake.

For GOD'S SAKE DON'T ASSUME HE'S HARMLESS and don't expose enough of your back when you leave for him to stick an "imaginary" knife in it.

KEEP YOURSELF SAFE AND GET OUT!! is my advice.
 JustDukky
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/30/2009 5:34:11 PM
His hypocrisy regarding the baby is the tipoff that he is totally inauthentic and is merely using the philosophy, not living by it.
 bulls eye annie
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2009 6:39:05 PM
Then "unmanifest" your boyfriend.......therby unmanifesting the "pain"

Then "manifest" a boyfriend who exercises, 'right thinking' and 'right action"

......... for every action there is reaction
.......... for every cause, there is an effect

there ARE CONSEQUENCES...........DUH?

Annie
Posted: 9/22/2013 9:20:19 AM
Oh this thread is funny as hell.
 Coma_White
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2013 2:16:05 PM
I find it hard to believe that some people would fall for this fuzzy logic. You're either in a monogamous relationship or an open relationship. It doesn't matter what kind of backwards personal philosophy you have. Of course people will be upset if you break their trust.
 Walts
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/30/2013 5:06:21 AM

I find it hard to believe that some people would fall for this fuzzy logic.

I think you gotta go out and meet more people Coma. It does take all kinds, and from my experience there are, all of them, plus a few more. I'm actually starting think that I wouldn't mind seeing a couple hundred zombies one morning walking towards me. I don't care what people "think" or "believe" but, that doesn't mean I can't tell them I "believe" they are phucked in the head. I don't think telling the OP's "friend" would help him very much though, cause to him, he would have just "imagined" the words of my expression.
 Coma_White
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2013 1:35:26 PM

I think you gotta go out and meet more people Coma. It does take all kinds, and from my experience there are, all of them, plus a few more. I'm actually starting think that I wouldn't mind seeing a couple hundred zombies one morning walking towards me. I don't care what people "think" or "believe" but, that doesn't mean I can't tell them I "believe" they are phucked in the head. I don't think telling the OP's "friend" would help him very much though, cause to him, he would have just "imagined" the words of my expression.

I agree. There are a lot of strange and gullible people out there. The boyfriend in question doesn't even make any sense. He believes that everyone he meets is a "manifestation" of his imagination and doesn't exist. First, there is no evidence that this is true. Secondly, if I create or "manifest" a character like Super Mario, he exists physically in electronic form, in media, as a plastic toy, and on paper, etc. I hope no one is falling for this guy's gibberish. A person that you can see, hear, touch, take photos of, etc, definitely exists.
 Coma_White
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2014 11:59:18 AM

9. Which you choose is your own business, but you MUST accept that it's only one of two possible and equally likely choices.

They're not equally likely. If these people only existed in his imagination, other people wouldn't be able to talk to them, touch them, or take pictures of them. Does that also mean that he imagined his mother and father before he was born? It's just some double-talk so the OP's boyfriend can cheat on her while trying to sound smart but failing.
 Coma_White
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2014 8:30:45 PM

If those people only existed in his imagination, then other people would also only exist in his imagination, and the pictures taken by them, information exchanged, when he is not present there. All in his imagination.

Imagination is not the right expression. Imagination carries a meaning of imagery guided by the self. There is no hint of that here. It is better to talk in terms of perception.

Weather the pictures others take of others, is not a matter of imagination, but perception, once you look at these pictures. Whether the pics are right in front of you or not, what you see is still not more than what you can perceive. What you can perceive consist also of what you do perceive. But you have no way of telling whether your perception is of reality or just a stand-alone thing.

Can you imagine or sense anything, or perceive anything before you were born? Certainly not. But after you start to exist, then you can have perceptions of people who were supposedly born before you. You don't have to perceive them before you were born, as your birth is not at all perceived by you, and you have no memory of it.

I get what you're saying, but it's all just word play so he can cheat on her. There is no proof that everyone exists in his imagination, but no one else's imagination.
 Coma_White
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2014 11:57:20 PM

There is also no proof that somebody exists in reality other than himself. "There is no proof that everyone exists in his imagination, but no one else's imagination." The second part follows naturally from the first part: if he is the only one, and everyone exists only as his perceptions, then everyone else does not exist in reality, and therefore they can't have an imagination (and can't have perceptions).

That's a lot of assumptions. We have to assume that he's the only one that exists and we're just part of his imagination. I don't think they should base their relationship on theories that probably don't hold and truth.

I am not sure that the OP's boyfriend said what he did so he could cheat on her. That is an inference I could not in good conscience make. It sounds to me more like an accusation made with no grounds, and believe me, I'd been tripped from dating literally dozens of women because their social milieux talked them out of dating me, by spreading lies, sometimes vicious and voracious lies, about me, for no sound reason. People are full of prejudices, and they shape the world in their imagination to fit their prejudiced views rather than change their prejudiced views to fit how the world actually appears to them.

No, he's making excuses for wanting to cheat on his girlfriend. He's basing his feelings about the relationship on a theory that has no evidence supporting it. Look at the nonsense that he says. He says that it's okay for them to cheat on each other because those people don't exist, but he would leave if she got pregnant with another man's baby. Why wouldn't be just imagine that she's not pregnant if that happened?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Instant Manifestation = I don't understand my man