Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > how would you define true love?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WeAre1
Msg: 6
view profile
History
how would you define true love?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
this subject has been done thousands of times - obviously -and it is so easy to search too. search 'true love', search 'love', search 'what is love', search 'unconditional love'.
my thoughts - true love is, basically, love - love is complete and always true - no need to add the extra subjective word for there is no false love. if it's false, it is not love.
so 'true' love is unconditional - with absolutely no conditions.
they say we are love - it is our nature, is eternal and one with everything - so 'true' love to me is when we feel that connection to everything and is not necessarily only found with another person.....most, I think, believe they have found 'true love' because when they are with the other they feel their own love so strongly....but I believe it always comes from within oneself, not from the other person, and is a force and energy and feeling mirrored in the other (sometimes).
 dekomisier
Msg: 8
how would you define true love?
Posted: 3/28/2008 4:23:49 AM
my mom passed away 6wks ago from lung cancer. I massaged her, fed her by syringe, walked her, prayed for her, and took time off a good paying job to take care of her full time. There was a time when I looked at god and I asked if I could die with her and walk her to heaven. Now for me thats love.
 TIBTAB
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/28/2008 6:31:13 AM
I agree with loveoregon except for the "Last forever" part. I think you have to work at it to make it last.
 robfish
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/28/2008 7:06:44 AM
Unconditional love, complete trust, comfort, tingles every time you touch, a passion that never fades, they are your first thought when you wake up and the last before you go to sleep, forgetting everything and just enjoying "the moment" when she is near, the will to do anything just to see her smile, the person you see yourself growing old with.......a love that lasts forever without feeling like 'work'

Hope that all makes sense, its very hard to put into words
 jamesDb
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/29/2008 6:03:52 AM
How would I define true love??? There is only one real deffinition for true love..
I Cor. 13 " Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag and is not proud. Love is not rude, is not selfish, and does not get upset with others. Love doesn't get upset with others. Love does not count up wrongs that have been done. Love is not happy with evil but is happy with the truth. Love patiently accepts all things. It always trusts, always hopes, and always remains strong. Love never ends."
One could only hope thats how true love is, but sadly it's not.
I have been in love very much so, tried to apply these principles, yet know I am only human and fall short. I want to be loved so much, like anyone else. yet I wonder how many really want that.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 6:45:26 AM
Humans expect and demand from others what we are most unwilling to give: unconditional love.

Which is quite accurate if you stop and think about it for a moment.

Although there would be many examples of this in life, here’s just one:

In the recent thread on Emotional Support, many people said it would be a dealbreaker if their loved one were not willing (or presumably able) to provide emotional support for them in a time of need.

I think that also implies “you will support me in the way I decide I need support, not in the way you are capable of providing support”
In other words, that says, or so it seems to me, "you must not only give support, you must be able to give it to me exactly when and how I say I need to be supported, or it won't be emotional support to me and I will dump your azz"

I rather suspect if someone were to say the same thing to them there would be some major protests about it.

I am not sure I know how to define what love is, but I feel it has to start with knowing and loving yourself... and has much more to do with giving, allowing and accepting than it does with demanding and expecting.
 x_file
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/29/2008 7:06:19 AM

A single soul dwelling in two bodies.

I think that also implies “you will support me in the way I decide I need support, not in the way you are capable of providing support”
In other words, that says, or so it seems to me, "you must not only give support, you must be able to give it to me exactly when and how I say I need to be supported, or it won't be emotional support to me and I will dump your azz"

Thanks for pointing this out! Don't we call this neediness? No one who implies, or says this to me is on my to get to know list. Dumping my "azz" it's the best thing that person can do for me. I will even send them a box of chocolates just for doing it.
 makenziem
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/29/2008 8:35:22 AM
To me there's no exact definition of it. (:
 littleaudrey
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/29/2008 9:17:33 AM
I know I love someone when:

I can't sleep without them holding me at night
My heart hurts when I'm not with them
I panic at the thought of losing them
I think about raising children with them
I care if his family and friends like me
I want to see him succeed, even if it takes him from me (a study abroad program in Zimbabwe, Peace Corps, etc.)
I don't want anyone else and have no desire to cheat.

Things like that. I'm engaged to someone I met on Match and feel this way about him.
 WeAre1
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2008 9:01:49 AM
forgot i wrote this 11/11/05...love and true love as i believed it then...(sorry it's long)
What is love?
Is it the light that shines when two people see the divine
in each other?
Is it the sense of peace in your heart and soul
that you never want to let go of?
Is it the feeling that sends you reeling
with thoughts of a sexy meeting?
Is it release from fear and really being all here
to feel the divine within you?
Is it seeing another, could be your father, sister, mother or brother,
and know you really are family?
Is it wondering when you'll see each other again
with a sort of yearning that takes hold?
If you are ill with a cold,
is it wrapped up in bed with chicken soup
and someone stroking your forehead?
Is it hearing a hummingbird
fluttering so fast you can hardly see it,
hovering near you, with its magical greeting?
Is it falling on the floor laughing so hard
you really are gonna split your sides
and never forget this feeling?

What is true love?
Is it that instant spark that just ignites
with so much light?
Is it passion beyond all reason
that's there, any season?
Is it seeing that shine in the eyes so bright
and really lights up the night?
Is it a sudden knowing this one is special
and means you'll keep growing?
Is it sleeping like a baby in the arms of your love
letting your dreams mingle together?
Is it feeling a sense of so much contentment
beyond all resentment?
Is it feeling the beat of your heart so strong and true
when they come into view?
Is it hugging another, truly a brother
who's come to rescue you?
Is it all of these things and so much more?
things you've never felt before?

Who knows for sure?
But something in me believes it exists
and is really the path to lasting happiness.
And maybe it hasn't appeared just yet in my life I've traveled so far,
but there's more to come, all the unknown and the fun
when one is open to reach for a star
that has suddenly shone  when you're alone,
and something deep down says, pay attention!
This is not just a passing infatuation.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/30/2008 9:28:49 AM
Humans expect and demand from others what we are most unwilling to give: unconditional love.

Well put, margo...

True love is that feeling one realizes didn't exist until the next true love shows up, which, in turn, falls short of the next true love that is found in the produce department, which also is perfect until.... ad infinitum.... er, ad nauseum....
 Indigo rose
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/30/2008 9:51:31 AM
Experiencing true love is like a drop of water after years of drought blah blah blah..
When you put your special persons feelings,comfort,and well being above your own I guess that's true love.
But I KNOW love is Infatuation and after you get that crap outta the way it
becomes a sense of security which is often built by trust, comfortability, and excitement.Well not so much excitement after awhile.
 singdiva78
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2008 10:19:16 AM
Truly loving someone means giving them the ability to destroy you and trusting them not to. Think about that seriously, it can apply to every "love" relationship you have. Whether it is with a parent, a child, a friend or a lover. Giving 100% of yourself is love, getting 100% from someone else is being loved back. Love with reckless abandon, the only things you regret in life are the things you didn't do or say. I really believe you can never love too much, even if it is given to the wrong person or misguided love, heartaches come and go, people come and go, the only thing that can go wrong is if you lose yourself in the process of loving someone else. If you can keep yourself and who you are in tact at all times then you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by loving as much and as deeply as you can. Sometimes that love won't be returned because the other person is just not capable of loving you the way you love them and that is the time when you have to love yourself more than you love them and walk away, love doesn't die it only changes. That may only sound like a bunch of cliches, but they are cliches for a reason, they are true.
 sunsetviewer
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/30/2008 10:41:03 AM
Of the definitions I read in this thread mykytyzn does the best in my mind to define true love.

I used to facilitate grief groups and found myself envious of those who grieved the most intensely because I felt they had just lost, as far as this world is concerned, the object of TRUE LOVE. This was something I urgently desired, but hadn't found yet.

I think the description in the Bible which most clearly describes true love for me is Ephesians 5:25, which tells husbands to love their wives as Christ did the Church, which he GAVE HIMSELF FOR.

I have not experienced this yet, but am very willing and desirous of giving all of myself to a lady, who will give herself in exchange to me! I don't mean that either will change unless they want to, but I like the post which talked about giving to another because we want to, and not reserving, or resenting that giving in any way. I do believe true Christians are most able to do this, because only God is perfect in love and can help humans come as close as possible to this example. At least that is the way I now see it.
 slady52
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/30/2008 10:49:56 AM
True love to me is the willingness to set your partner free, if that is what they desire.
No matter how painful it is for you. It is being unselfish, wanting their happiness and knowing when it is time to let go.
 Jaasker
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/6/2009 12:42:23 PM
I think John Beckwith from Wedding Crashers said it well..."True love is your soul’s recognition of its counterpoint in another."
 gracengracie
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/6/2009 1:05:58 PM
I just received a proof of true love.....
True love is putting yourself on 2nd row to safeguard your loved one.
Sacrifice your feelings or desires in order to keep your loved one out of danger. or trouble.

This in ONE example of true love.

I am happy I was truly loved.
 kpooks
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2009 1:07:43 PM
I think I've gotten a taste of it, and it's very nice. Involves self-sacfifice. But you get to take sometimes too. It's very nice.
 TopChuck
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2009 3:49:20 PM
It depends on what you mean by love. ("It depends on what 'is' is." (Bill Clinton).)

Commonly, when that question is asked it refers to the noun 'love'. That is, the state of being in love. There are many good definitions already posted, here. Those boil down to a state of caring more about another person's welfare, than one cares about one's own. That's an unconditional state, because no 'condition' causes it and no condition can destroy it.

However, those who said there's no definition are also correct. Emotions defy definition. Feelings come from within us, without logic. Words used to render definitions are descriptive and logical and never truly define an emotion. We respond emotionally, without logical reasons. We can apply logic afterwards. We feel an emotion and then explanation goes to the cause, which refers to some action. But initially emotions arise without being evoked by logic.

That leads to what we really want to know about 'loving' relationships.

In romantic relationships, what we seek isn't the noun, but the verb. We want to 'be loved'. Being loved is conditional. We usually won't continue loving another, if we aren't being loved, ourselves. We never 'fall out of love' with someone with whom we were 'in love'. (Remember no conditions are involved.)

We do stop 'loving' though. If we aren't being loved, we ultimately stop actively loving the other person.

Now that we've sort of defined our terms, let's focus on the verb 'loving'.

Ask yourself what it is that makes you feel loved. How are you treated that makes you feel loved? Then find out what you do that make that other person feel loved. (They probably won't be the same elements; the same criteria. However, the elements may be similar among the genders.) Keep in mind, we're not defining, we're only identifying actions that evoke the emotion of love.

And, there's the trick. We're never going to truly define 'true love'. If we find out what makes the other person feel loved and let them know what makes us feel loved and provide that in exchange for them providing for us, we will be in a loving relationship. We will have learned to love. ("The greatest thing you will ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.")

It's been my observation and experience that in a loving relationship, sometime after the habit of loving has been entrenched, we find ourselves "suddenly in love". It's then that we also realize that defining that most wonderful of all human emotions isn't necessary, but learning how to evoke that emotion and enjoying that emotion in a loving exchange is.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/6/2009 5:38:11 PM
When you love some one so much that you CAN live with out them, ala' Casablanca.
 Pinoy Brian
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/6/2009 7:28:58 PM
True Love cannot be defined by one person to another. Each person's individual view, definition, desires & needs are different from all others, even if in the smallest details. No one person truly sees love in the exact same way as another. This is why so many relationships fail. This is why so many last for years & then fail, your needs change, how you love changes, and how you see & love each other changes. The relationships that do endure got it right the first time, or, stay together for other reasons. What you need out of love and what you give towards it are completely different from everyone else.
 DVD777
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/6/2009 7:49:06 PM
True love is not a feeling ;
it is a choice and a decision.
 declan33
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/16/2009 6:09:31 PM
We all know that true love is a souls recognition of its counterpart in another.I do not believe that their is a thing called true love,have given women my heart and was thrown in the bin.I would love if their was but feel that it is just a term
 minako79
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/16/2009 8:12:35 PM
is a lost cause :P which it is..
 CheezyChick
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/28/2011 12:29:58 PM
No definition of words can express true love....you'll know it unquestionabely, when you feel it.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > how would you define true love?