Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you prefer someone complicated, or someone simple?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 that sam i am
Msg: 2
Do you prefer someone complicated, or someone simple?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Simple for sure. But that doesn't mean that we won't fall for the crazy one. We love crazy women.
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Do you prefer someone complicated, or someone simple?
Posted: 3/28/2008 10:47:54 AM
"There seem to be two sets of people: those who are complicated, and those who are not-so-complicated. "

I have the world broken into different categories ... wankers and liars ... but that is a different thread ...

"complicated" is fine as long as there aren't so many balls in the air that life seems to move from one crises to the next. And even "complicated" might mean different things to different people. Does it mean a very wide range of different activities/lifestyle things? Does it mean a person has several relationships they are managing?

When I hear "my life is complicated" from someone, what I hear is something like "gee, I wish things were simpler". When I have heard it, it has almost always been a lament.
 fancynanci
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 10:54:21 AM
I go for the simple guy. A man who is passionate and fun.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 11:39:14 AM
I think someone may be very complicated and yet fall into what you call the non-complicated person because he/she has truly embraced the don't sweat the small stuff attitude. Ever notice there are some people that walk through life as if they are gliding or something, they just don't seem touched in a negative way by anything. It does not mean they are not passionate about things and don't get upset on some level at injustice, etc., you just cannot tell because they are in a state of inner peace.

That's where I want to get and who I would prefer to be with. From your definition, I will always be complicated because I know a lot of nuts that I cannot sever ties with, don't need to be sucked into the whirlwind, however.
 nipoleon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 11:58:12 AM
A complicated life usually means, " I don't have any time for you ".
When the right person comes around, people will find ways to simplify things.
 flyingiguana
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 12:01:37 PM
simple people are too complicated for me
 scorpiomover
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 1:56:00 PM

If this is the definition that you are running with then I'll go with simple... Someone who thinks their own life is complicated is simply failing to cope with it. It's a completely subjective definition: simple vs complicated but you can bet that the person who has an understanding of themselves and basically "knows where their towel is", finds their life simple enough and the other type of person is a walking soap opera with hysterical tabloid media headlines.
I'll go with this. I like interesting people. I don't want more drama in my life. I just got rid of the last lot. I have had more than enough, thank you very much.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/28/2008 2:06:18 PM
I might be a complicated person, as in there's a lot to take in when you start to get to know me, but it's not complicated in the sense that it would affect anyone but myself. However, by far I choose to live a simple life. I just don't stress about stuff I can't control, and I don't like drama or overly emotional stuff. To me, a job, food, shelter, friends and family and good health are the things I'm happy to have, appreciate and focus on. The rest is a bonus.

I'd like someone who has a lot of facets to them as well, but who is laid back and doesn't like to create a complicated life.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 3:27:46 PM
I come complete with my own complications.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 4:03:30 PM
I would prefer someone that is complex, but doesn't live a complicated life(maybe even a simple life). In other words I view complex as someone that considers many things even for a simple problem, they thrive on new situations, the only thing predictable about how they act and think is that you know they have considered&thought through a reasonable number of alternatives.
For me:
Simple people = boring&very deliberate
Simple living = one with out a lot of material stuff & social politics
Complicated living = drama & chaos
Complex people = open minded
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/30/2008 9:53:42 AM
I think *every* human, being, is an amazingly complicated soul. Peeps with "complicated" lives simply tend to be those who haven't yet figured out yet what they need, and how to get it. I've done things in my life that look exceeding strange to many onlookers, but which were simply extensions of me, figuring out how to do what I needed/wanted to do. Some people find that fascinating, others think it merely odd. If I'd planned my life just to have interesting stories to tell at my age, I'd have succeeded. . . . And I hope/plan to have it continue. But sturm und drang? Not much. I'm really not a good mate for those addicted to adrenaline. . . . And vice versa.

ItsMargo
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2008 10:13:46 AM
I live my life based on this "Life is simple, it is people who make it complicated"

I've described myself as multi-dimensional but not very complicated. I'd like to get to simple; as I become more aware, the simpler things are.

To be simple requires effort, discipline and clarity. I admire people who can take complex ideas and express them simply and concisely.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2008 12:38:59 PM

To be simple requires effort, discipline and clarity.

Being narrow minded requires the same.
 godliketoaster
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/30/2008 3:03:13 PM
I like simple. But I want a level of complexity. Its gotta be a good balance.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 5:51:17 AM
There's complicated, and then there's needlessly complicated, like someone who makes mountains out of molehills and sweats all the minor issues that crop up in their life. Complexity is a good thing to me, someone who has diverse interests and is capable of intelligent thought, and who knows when simple works best.
 WeAre1
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 7:05:20 AM
First you called it complicated and not-so-complicated.
This seems far more realistic than the duality of complicated and simple...which, as others pointed out, complex is really the other side of simple.
I have actually never known someone who is simple....all people seem to have issues to varying degrees, especially those who's lives are longer, or with more challenging life experiences.
It seems to be more about how you handle the challenges and in what manner you act that can simplify or complicate things.
I found my life was quite simple until I joined forces with another and then, suddenly, it was very complex and both of us seemed to lose our inner peace. What had appeared to be resolved in each of us, but wasn't, was brought to light.
So, it can change and nothing is absolute. Take two 'complicated' people and it's bound to create lots of learning opportunities! So, would I choose simple if I ever found someone simple? Nah.
 WesternRose
Msg: 52
Posted: 4/4/2008 4:56:09 PM
I vote for Uncomplicated...cos...well they can work themselves up to the 'Complicated' state at some point...and you can both prevent that from happening if you choose to.
The Complicated People...well they are a loss cause...no going back to the Simple and Uncomplicated life... my thinking is that a lot of them enjoy the drama and the attention of having a Complicated Life... and it is all they really have outside of their kids and lapdogs.

so....hell ya...give me uncomplicated and life will be good between us.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/17/2008 2:42:25 PM
Oh Gawd I love complicated!
Simple is so ho hum and mundane!!!

I want a complicated, moody, brooding, alcoholic, Irishman EVERY damn time!!!!!

Seriously.
Can I just advertise for that and get me one?
 screenangel
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2008 5:08:17 PM
I prefer someone interesting, with depth of character, complex, but NOT complicated! I detest people who try to complicate my life and bring unwanted drama to my stable existence! Crazy "drama" is SO boring! I have better things to do with my time than entertain complicated people.................
 daynadaze
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2008 5:21:32 PM
I'd have to know the person, I mean is he complicated because he leads an interesting life or is he full of bull and complicates everything because he's a jackass? Is he simple as in easy to understand and get along with or an idiot with no thoughts beyond the next football game & how much beer to have on hand?|
 jadegreen
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2008 9:22:25 PM
I've been with complicated guys and they will mentally exhaust you... It is refreshing to be with someone that is just simple sometimes...And it is especially nice after you've been with that mr mentally exhausting person for a while...But on the other hand sometimes i don't like men than view things too simply...so my answer is...hmmmm....i dunno....
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:20:06 AM
I strive for proportion in my existential goulash, so I lean towards those who are a bit of a melange, someone who leads life with a very light touch, who displays a brilliant spectrum and steps through her inner prism knowing that behind all her refractions lies a single beam -- herself.
 Vannili
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 7:11:00 AM
I prefer none of those but" Alive And Kicking...
 anastasia78
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 6:18:15 AM
I'll choose someone that has a bit of both. I agree with your ideas.

It is important to be simple for certain things.. agree that you cannot change some things.. but know that you have the ability to think deeply into an idea, activity, action and break it apart and find out what it is made up of, what you can do to make it better, the ability to change things.. I am technically minded... so complicated things make me revved up and I appreciate people who can do just that... try to understand life.

People who are simple infuriates me.. They accept life for what it is and does nothing to make it better.. Although I am a bit simple.. You can be simple for some things that are just that simple and cannot be broken apart.. or cannot be altered.. or changed..

Complex people are great because they tend to bring all the complicated things and make it work. The air of sophistication and know it all tend to make them a tad bit snobbish.
 MikeWM
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 6:54:49 AM
This is kind of a "complex" question

Someone complex but uncommunicative is just complex, whereas someone complex but very open and communicative will be "simple" and the same applies to less complex people, where even a quite uncomplicated person who isnt open and communicative will be "complex" to understand as its going to be mainly guesswork with them

But I would have to sit on the fence and say something between the two extremes as you can (IMO) have too simplistic and too complex (often just a sign of instability and a lack of any real core behind their personality) so I would prefer someone who is capable of "rational" complexity where needed, but who is honest and open about their views so that theres no actual complexity there because you'd "know" rather than having to guess or intuit their outlook on things
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you prefer someone complicated, or someone simple?