Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > My beef about PART TIME dads who identify as SINGLE dads      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 packagedealx3
Msg: 2
view profile
History
My beef about PART TIME dads who identify as SINGLE dadsPage 1 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
Everything is perspective. I would ask first of all why you don't call it a single parent's group so that full-time fathers could also join you ladies? I think that side of things is what the first two posts were about, single parent so often means women. And for men that would really want to be full-time dads, being a part-time dad must be heartwrenching.

Here's the thing. I have my kids 24/7, without school I might have wound up on the news by now. My X never takes them for more than an hour or two and the rare times that he has one of the kids spend the night, I mean maybe once a year per kid, it is just the one kid, he says he cannot handle all of them. When I was in a coma, he had to be told to take off of work and take care of his own kids.

Now, I will be the first to admit that he is financially responsible for the kids and in that respect, he does more than many men but he reaps what he sows with the time he chooses to spend with the kids. They are getting older and because he has been a dad when it is convenient for him, they are starting to be children when it is convenient for them, when they have no one to play with.

My kids would go toe to toe with anyone for me but not their dad. He expects respect to be given him when he has not earned it which is another reason he will probably never have it. They respect that he supports them but as a person? Very little loyalty either because they feel that he would not be there when they need him. These dads that open their wallets and not their hearts are the ones that are losing, who cares if they are whiners?
 wanderbaby
Msg: 7
view profile
History
My beef about PART TIME dads who identify as SINGLE dads
Posted: 3/29/2008 11:34:39 PM
I think it's sad that you come here and bash part time dads as well as full time dads. You assume they don't have support group to join, but I've seen some single parents group thru meetup in my area. Don't assume that because some part time dads aren't fully in the kids life mean they all want to be, if your group has had bad experience with the part time dads involved, then I'm sorry but no need to come here and bash others for it, and it's sad that you would assume other part time dads are all bad. It's wrong to stereotype period. I've heard some single moms who had a raw deal in not getting full or more than part time, so everyone has different circumstances. perhaps you need to find another group to bring out more positive than negative. And I hope your kids aren't there to hear all the bashing that your group do.

And to all the dads that posted, I agree, you guys said it well
 SpecialHeartedLady
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/29/2008 11:45:12 PM
Well, OP, I agree with you. I've seen sooo much crap in how men behave. Much of it is cultural. Most of the men don't have a clue what it takes to be a spouse, and that's the first problem. Sometimes it's the women... but in reality, it's mostly men. Research supports that too. It is sad for the few men who do actually want a valuable and vital, stable marriage and family, who want to take responsibility for that. I think often times men think just going to a job is enough, when that's just the tip of it. And that's the beginning of the downfall of most marriages. Women are trapped most often and in many cases, the men are worthless pieces of crap...like my ex and every man I ever dated. Schmoozers... and the court doesn't always see things for what they are, believe me. It amazes me how they can lean toward bad men and take vital decisions from the real family--the mother and children, especially where men who don't do the right things are concerned.. and give it to the male because he's a male. There has to be more than this.

I too dislike the lack of realistic representation of what men write in regard to being single fathers full time... when they are not. I totally respect those that are. I had a friend who was a single father... but he kept having sexual relations with criminal type women and then wonder why they ended up in jail and he was a single father, but he still tried hard.

Just some thoughts I had as I read some of the posts. Experience takes the cake.

Oh, one more thing...my ex is a babysitter when it's convenient for him... says all the time when I ask that HE has to work... never a consideration for us and how hard it is when I have no support whatsoever and all the responsibility of our lives. a real piece of crap he is!
 damage0073
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/30/2008 2:15:01 AM

Single mothers and actual full-time fathers, please share your realities of full-time parenting to offer support and give part-time dads some clarity about what the full responsibility is really like.

I was a full time father for the 10 years me and my ex were together, and by your words, a "part time dad" because I was forced in this situation for a couple years. But now I have my children living with me again, so I guess I am a full time father again, thank god..... pfft....

BTW, I was just as much of a father to my 2 sons when I was only allowed to see them a couple weekends a month as I was before we split up and after they moved back in with me.

Here is some support and clarity for "single mothers". Let go of whatever hatred and resentment you have towards your ex and LET them be a "full time father", not a weekend babysitter and support check for you... Your children are not pawns...

I am speaking from my own experiences and quite a few that I have been witness to.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2008 4:52:22 AM
SlickHandz I have seen that too, where the man seems incapable of separating his feelings for or about the X with the children, which makes no sense to me. You frigging pick them up, you don't hang with the mom and they are your kids, hellooo.

OP, I can understand your comments about your mother's support group but isn't that a huge part of the problem? You are not talking about gender issues, you are talking about your ability to sit around and bash men. Do you not think that adding a man or two to a PARENT'S group might give you valuable insight into men and fathers? I have seen scenarios when a dad or a man was let into a group and you know what, after a while, people forget that they have different sexual equipment and just relate as people. You could always establish bash men Wednesdays and he would know not to attend that day.

When you talk to a wide variety of people, you start to figure out that most people are more alike than not and it is like race issues, if men and women really honestly talked to each other more, maybe we would start to figure some of this out and like another poster mentioned, maybe both men and women would have a clue about marriage or long-term relationships and the numbers of single parents would decline dramatically.

Parents raising kids by themselves is nothing new and it is time that the term single parents really meant single parents instead of primarily referring to single moms. After all, in most cases, if there is a single dad, there is also a single mom. The whole semantics gets shot to shit anyway if someone marries so even though both the parents are singlely relating to the children, mom or dad are no longer single so what are you then?
 brandy_n_3
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/30/2008 9:30:19 AM
I don't have a problem with dads saying they are single dads even if they only see their kids every other weekend, no skin off my nose. But I think many single parents get up in arms for the same reason that I have seen those that are in the army call the reservests weekend warriors and not real soldiers. Sure they are enlisted but it's not a way of life for them. To me ful/time, part/time, weekends only who cares as long as the parent is being a parent and not absent completely.
 happyboi
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/31/2008 10:36:26 AM
Wow, technically, I am only a part-time dad, though, I run into most problems of "full-time" mothers. The only one I don't worry about, is day-care, since my ex has our daughter the hours I work. I have her the rest of the time... less the occasional night she spends with my ex. Talk about a nasty OP.

I would honestly LOVE to find out where specialheartedlady found her numbers about men ruining marriages. In the US, 2/3 to 3/4 of divorces will be filed by women. Many of them, are the "walk-away wife" syndrome. It isn't men causing the problem, it is a lack of communications from BOTH parties.

Just because you chose to marry a jerk, doesn't mean most men are.
 dreamboat333
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/31/2008 11:27:36 AM
Hi Butter-Cup!

Regarding your post wherein you wrote:

"I was at my single mom's group today and we all had a beef about single dad's who lament on the challenges of single parenting, when in reality some only contribute some cash and/or have the kids some of the time."

the family law system methodically and systematically extracts dads from their children's lives, traumatizing the child, breaking down the dad and ultimately this does no amount of good for the mother and her financial reliance on a productive, together benefactor.

"Let's raise awareness that single parenting, even if they have a fully participating part-time parent in the picture do not have it easy and it can not be compared in the slightest to the challenges of being a part-time dad."

I feel that this statement is so broad and general that is really paints way too many good, actively involved fathers with the same stroke as you are illustrating the types of fathers whom you evidently don't like voicing their struggle?

Or is it that you don't like us comparing our struggles to yours because yours are so much more monumental than ours?

A "part-time-dad" is as much a single parent with as many (and typically isgnificantly more) trials and tribulations as the mother (who it sounds like you are trying to define as the "single-parent")?

Maybe just stick with the LEGAL definition that both parents of a minor child in a divorce are "single-parents" and then treat the legitimacy of each single parent's struggle on a case by case basis.

"Single mom's have the hardest time due to challenges unique to being a mother in this society."

Statistically and socially we can all see pretty clearly that this is not, in fact, the case.

Truth be told and what you will find is that, although our group's like AMERICAN COALITION FOR FATHER'S AND CHILDREN, and THE CHILDREN'S RIGHTS COUNCIL, are turning the legal system on it's ear and challenging the change which restores power to the single fathers, still there is a bias in the mother's favor.

Reports detailing scientific studies of The Children's Rights Council reveal that the current state of affairs in the way that divorced mothers are coddled by the system, the system encourages mother's to divorce rather than to work things out.

According to the findings of the studies, wherever a swift and rutheless divorce has been delayed by the presumtion of joint custody, families have worked things out, refrained from divorce and allowed their children the beneift of a unified family rather than a broken one.

"Single mothers and actual full-time fathers, please share your realities of full-time parenting to offer support and give part-time dads some clarity about what the full responsibility is really like. "

There is no such thing as a "part-time-dad". This language does not exist in court, nor in any civilized society, with the exception of those fathers who have been so demoralized by this type of hatemongering and abuse of legal power that they check out in order to survive the emotional land mines.

Maybe you and your "Single Mom's Group" ought to take into consideration tha biological need of a child to have his father in their life and consider a little less dad-bashing for the sake of the children.
 dreamboat333
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/31/2008 11:33:11 AM
happyboi:

Where you wrote:

"Wow, technically, I am only a part-time dad, though, I run into most problems of "full-time" mothers."

First of all, your are a fahter to your children 100% of the time. Don't buy into this "part-time-dad" rubbish.

Notice if they had it their way - we would accept being brainwashed into believing we are fathers only when, their schedules allow -- yet, as you point out - we have as much burden as the oppressor.

"The only one I don't worry about, is day-care, since my ex has our daughter the hours I work. I have her the rest of the time... less the occasional night she spends with my ex. Talk about a nasty OP."

Until the child is 18 years old you can go back in and modify the order to better suite what you believe will benefit the child.

Does your child benefit from a "part-time-dad"... I know, I didn't think so.

The way I look at it - the marriage if over, "good bye and good riddens" but as for the child - man that is your blood line. In that final day, when they are chissling your head stone, remember, will be remembered by your kids and you will be judged in the end by how you fahtered your child.

Do not let the so-called "Family Law" courts grind you down!

I would honestly LOVE to find out where specialheartedlady found her numbers about men ruining marriages. In the US, 2/3 to 3/4 of divorces will be filed by women. Many of them, are the "walk-away wife" syndrome. It isn't men causing the problem, it is a lack of communications from BOTH parties.

Just because you chose to marry a jerk, doesn't mean most men are.
 happyboi
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/31/2008 1:44:28 PM
dreamboat333, I was being sarcastic, to the OP. :-) Honestly, my ex has enough skeletons in her closet, that I could have probably gotten full custody. I have my daughter, usually about 2/3 of the day. I have her, from the time I leave work, to the time I start getting ready for work, the next morning. Her mom has her while I am at work. She works in the evening, so it HONESTLY works out good for our daughter. No day-care, and is always around one parent or the other. I know it doesn't aways work out that well, as a matter of fact, most of my buddies have had it far worse than my situation.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 4:43:22 PM
Part time...full time....single....whatever.

I've been, still am, and will be for some time all of the above. I have had my sons on my scheduled visitations, I have had them when both of their mothers decided to go romp and play like teenagers (one for a year, the other for three years), and I've been single the whole time each of them has been through two husbands each.

Do I say all this to impress anyone? No. I'm just getting a wee bit tired of the "Single-Moms-Against-Men Association" posting garbage like this. Butter-Cup...just look at this fragment from your lead sentence:

I was at my single mom's group today....

Well gee whiz.....were y'all watching Oprah too? Could you NOT find a more biased group to draw conclusions from?????
 Sweet_Romance
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 5:05:47 PM
Well i am in the predicament to disagree with you there. My situation is I am in the middle of a divorce, and this year he got shipped off to iraq, now i am a single mom 24/7 with 2 special needs children. For a man to admit he needs support is a huge step, so for someone to come to your support group should be commendable.
Also about all those men and women that are married and are forced to live a single parent life because of the war in iraq, those people need our help, our support and our encouragement. Do you have parents in the military in this support group? For these people are not by choice are single parents!
There is a wide range of possibilities to each person that is a single parent and why they are a single parent.
Maybe give the guy the benefit of the doubt first.
plus for most men that maternal instinct isn't there, they have to work extra hard to be a mom/dad role. For most of us women it comes second nature. I have a few friends that are males that are in the single dad role and they do a super job trying to be there for their kids, emotionally and financially.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2008 5:17:30 PM
^^^ "Also about all those men and women that are married and are forced to live a single parent life because of the war in iraq, those people need our help, our support and our encouragement. Do you have parents in the military in this support group? For these people are not by choice are single parents!"

Leslie, I agree with most of what you stated. However, there is no longer a draft for the military, therefore, anyone enlisted did so by 'choice'. Some volunteered after the war started to do what they can for what they believe and hold dear....dare I say protecting the freedom and security of their families. Others were already enlisted when the war began. But, it was all of their choices to enlist.

And you are very correct....the soldiers AND their families deserve our support, appreciation and gratitude.

~ds~
 Sweet_Romance
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 6:33:48 AM
MalibuiSteve---"She recently went out of town for a couple of days and had a guy who I've never met stay at the house with the kids. I was more than a little uncomfortable with this, but there was nothing I could do. Legally speaking, he was a qualified babysitter"

Hey here in Cali, you have every right as a parent to have first choice to babysit your own kids. My ex has to give me the option that if he is working and can't have the kids to let me babysit my own children, as a parent I have that first right. It is my legal right and his legal right to watch the kids if one of us goes out of town. Maybe you should look at your legal papers again or ask your lawyer so that in the future you know where you stand

Me personally I would never let someone that I hardly know babysit my kids, they are both special needs, so I am more so overprotective.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 1:26:09 PM

Buttercup,

If your children's father takes them every other weekend and pays child support do you consider yourself a full time mother? Or just part time?

I'm curious what the abacus is here for measuring one's ability to qualify as 'full time' under these standards you are describing.

I consider myself a single dad -- but, my son also very much has a mother. She works 4 days on and 2 days off and she has him on her days off. If you get technical it's probably a 60/40 split with me having my son more; but, I'll never try to argue that she isn't still very much a single mother.

I don't dispute that single parenting is tough -- but, by your very words any single mother that has the help of the father isn't truly a full time single mother.

unfortunately too many mothers abuse their status as primary caregiver and prevent their kids from seeing their father more regularly. Fortunately my son's mom isn't like that and we are both extremely involved in raising our son.

And anyone that tells me I'm not a full time dad because he spends a couple of days a week with his mom isn't worth my energy.

Now there you go with logic and reason. Don't confuse her with the facts........her mind is already made up.
 Park_Guy
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/1/2008 2:12:08 PM
Single mothers and actual full-time fathers, please share your realities of full-time parenting to offer support and give part-time dads some clarity about what the full responsibility is really like.

So wait, Single mothers and Single fathers aren’t that same then? So a single mother immediately implies that there is no assistance whatsoever from a ex or others?

Maybe it should have been "Full-time mothers and full-time fathers, please share your realities of full-time parenting to offer support and give part-time PARENTS some clarity about what the full responsibility is really like.

Still then, just because I don't have my kids 100% of the time (I have them 50%), and have some great parents and friends that I can call on once and a while (babysitting maybe), I don't know what full responsibility is really like? lol... I'm sorry, but that’s just laughable.

I'm not going to try and keep track of, let alone use all the PC parental epithets that get thrown around, There are single moms, single dads, we're all single parents, else we'd be married parents maybe. Even a woman that only see's her own children once a month is still a single mom. I almost take offence to the term "part-time" do I love my kids any less than you? I don't think so. Do I only care about my kids 50% of the time? Not a chance. Do I have different challenges and issues with not being the only parent and having to try to deal with multiple houses, parenting styles, schedules, travelling and the issues that entails? You bet.

Sorry if this comes across as a rant, but if a "single mother" is not equivalent to a "single dad", and he has to be a "full-time unsupported by anyone else all alone dad", then do we need to start defining the number of children involved as well? does a 50% part-time dad with 2 boys under 10 years old equal a full time mother with 1 daughter that 16 years old and visits her dad every other holiday? Where does it stop?

I'm a single DAD. I'm single because I'm not seeing anyone or married, and a DAD, well cause that’s what my kiddo's like to call me.
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/1/2008 3:07:01 PM
50% custody would solve all this bull. No more child support, everyone carries their own weight and feels better about mastering their own lives.

You also get 3 days away from thekids a week.
 Sweet_Romance
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 5:30:59 PM
Hi Steve, I saw your profile your daughter is gorgeous and looks just like you
I am glad you had your peeps help you out on that. My ex got shipped off, so this year i am a single parent and going to school. So I see so many people on here angry with the who does more attitude. I think quality over quantity should matter you know.
You can be a parent in the same house, just being there and not really being there, just tuned out.
 Park_Guy
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/2/2008 12:05:25 AM
In that scenario, with the 50/50 split meaning no custody is exchanged, I agree that its quite unfair. Living in Canada, although a determent to my income, I like where the law is starting to go, it just needs to go further to adjust for the time that is spent with a child. It’s not the best yet, and outside the 60/40 relationship it’s all or nothing from what I understand, but with your scenario….

Say I was to have a 50/50 arrangement, and I was to earn $100,000.00 a year, my child support to my child would be $880 a month.
If my x was to have just taken a job earning $30,000.00 a year, her child support to the child would be $245/month.
So the net outcome is that I would owe $635 to my child/month in support. I believe that’s fair. I further think that any decision should vary based on how much time a parent gets to spent with their child beyond the 60/40 limit. I also think that lets say 5 years later, my x, although capable has decided that she just wants to live off the money I pay in support to MY CHILD a month, that considerations should be made. The biggest thing I can suggest is that child support should not be paid to the other parent, but rather possibly in trust to the child, and subject to review if required to make sure the money is being spend appropriately.

I also think that any considerations on support should be directly influenced by the parents current situation and income status. If my x was not working, but was married to a multi millionaire, I should not be expected to pay the $880 a month, the fact that her lifestyle and access to funds should factor in. Not that I should get any type of payday or reimbursement from her status, but possibly since she has the ability to support our child due to her availability of funds and current lifestyle should factor in to considerations about the total support to be paid to the child.

Again in your example, say the parents earned the same amount, $100K for arguments sake. A father having his kids every other weekend…. Say a month has 30 days, he sees them alternate weekends, so 6 days a month? So 20% of the time? Based on that, I think that based on the 100K income levels, the mother, should be responsible for 20% of $880 a month, and the father should be responsible for 80% of 880 a month, so the father should be paying ~$700 a month in support. I don’t think that strict numbers, 50% limits etc. are proper, and although it requires a bit more math, consideration should be make with regards to who’s doing what, and how much time they spend doing it.
 damage0073
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/2/2008 2:56:14 AM

Scenario: Man keeps his 9 to 5 job. Woman takes a lower paid job with fewer hours on the evening and weekends to make the 50% custody arrangement work. So he makes $50 000 and she makes $25 000. The man and woman have 50% custody and no money is exchanged. So Dad takes kids to theme parks and movies and eat take-out but with mom they eat weiners and beans and no school field trips. This so called "equal" arrangement can't work and is selfish on the high income earners part

I say the Joyce arrangement fairly and evenly distributes the "quality time" by giving one parent every second weekend and one evening a week with support payment made to the primary custodial parent. S/he who does "the dirty work" of child rearing is the single parent who hopefully has the support of a part-time parent or daycare or family to avoid burn out.

However this schedule of some dads, every second weekend, may make a relationship work for the kids but is not the same as the harder work of day-to-day parenting... ( I can only assume, as my baby's dad is absent.. comments anyone?) Imagine getting two weeks off every time you worked two days at a income producing job... that would be part-time! How could that parent feel the pinch of single parenting with a bi-monthly visit?

wow, just wow.

There can be many different ways to do an equal parenting arrangement, apparently you can only think of one that suits your arguement, one that contradicts itself. In this little scenario you came up with, kids are in school, yet mom has to work less hours and dad is working 9-5. Apparently, they couldn't both work 9-5 jobs(while children are in school), both make good wages, and both have equal time with a week on week off type of arrangement.

Furthermore, every other weekend is not an even split of "quality time". It seems to come down to the money. This is very pathetic, it only shows how the all mighty dollar means to you compared to children having a equal time and a meaningful relationship with both parents.

BTW, I was as much of a single parent when I had weekend visitations as you are.
 damage0073
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/2/2008 4:33:38 AM

I disagree with your view of his post. I didn't take his post as saying "this is how all relationships work." I read it as "here's one example of how things might work." To me, he was displaying a concern for both the financial aspect of raising a child as well as spending quality time with both parents. I view this as showing that the "all mighty dollar" is not overly significant in his eyes.

However, this is only my interpretation. Only he can tell us what he really meant. (By the way, personal attacks and the use of harsh language such as "pathetic" are really unnecessary and take away from what could have been a powerful argument.)

The pathetic remark was meant in general, not meant to be directed to any one person. I apologize if anyone took offence. Poor punctuation on my part.

I disagree with your first paragraph about the all mighty dollar. 2/3 of her post was about receiving support, and in my view, stiffing the non-custodial parent out of quality time. Also, her scenario is completely flawed. Based solely on the children being in school, in her scenario, mom could have a 9-5 job but doesn't and should deserve a support check. Just my take on it...
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:15:31 AM
OP: "S/he who does "the dirty work" of child rearing is the single parent who hopefully has the support of a part-time parent"......"Single mothers and actual full-time fathers, please share your realities of full-time parenting to offer support and give part-time dads some clarity about what the full responsibility is really like."

OP, I think much of your argument is lost due to your insistance on these labels you keep throwing out there. If there are two households, each parent is a part-time, single parent, irregardless of how much visitation or parenting time is involved. You are not a "full-time parent" unless the other single parent is 100% out of the picture or, both parents are in one household with the children.

So, rather than asking others to "share realities of full-time parenting", you should be asking for sharing of different parenting situations by single parents, regardless of who was awarded primary physical custody. Or, change your labels to "participative", %ages of parenting time, etc.

JMO

~ds~
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:31:42 AM

single fathers do get treated like crap

Nonsense. I get people all the time who say things like "OMG wow so AWESOME" etc because I'm a single dad

I believe he meant "part time fathers" which we know to be fathers with limited visitation.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 7:41:21 AM
Okay, I'll try one more approach.

Parent (noun): those to whom offspring are born....mother/father.

Parent (verb): to act as or be a parent to someone....love, teach, safeguard, discipline, feed and provide care for....

Full-time Parent (noun): one who parents (v.) exclusively without any participation in parenting from another.

Part-time Parent (noun): one who shares parenting (in any combination of participation) with the other parent.

Single Parent: one with offspring, but without a spouse.

~ds~
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 5:13:43 PM
^^^ "it's pretty hard to replace mom. That sadness lingers much longer than it does when dad leaves"

Deuce, may I ask where in the h...e...double toothpicks you gathered this profound data from???

carolann: "Whether a man has full/partial or joint custody most good men are dads 100% of the time. They don't stop loving or thinking of their kids just because Mommy won in court."

Well said....much appreciated.

~ds~
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > My beef about PART TIME dads who identify as SINGLE dads