Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Home wine,cider & beer      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hoarydragon
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Home wine,cider & beerPage 1 of 1    
The past couple of years I have experimented with making my own drink.I am extremely fond of the folk drinks of the early farmers.
Pumpkin wine is close to a chardonnay.Very fun to make.
Green corn stalk beer was strong due to the cellulose structure of the stalk.
Open vat Belgian style beer , my family and friends drank everything I only got 4 bottles out of 24 cases.
Cider , not the fresh pressed apple juice you swill with yeast doughnuts at a mill but the true still cider of 3% . The worse thing I did was to add sugar ( priming) to the cider to create a sparkling beverage, too coarse as the fermentation reactivated. Makes a wonderful cooking cider especially in apple butter.
Red & black currant wine ,the best- a great summer drink
Ginger beer that is not your children's soft drink.Mine delivered a punch.
Kvass -Russian small bread beer-love the taste .Coke had to purchase a kvass plant in Russia as fermented soft drinks are the desired beverage not carbonated sodas.
So has anyone else experimented with the home beverages ?
 fireguy69000
Msg: 2
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 3/31/2008 8:08:20 AM
One of my friends makes an awesome apple wine. I think I had 3 galsses once. It's still foggy. LOL

I'll have to get him on here. He can use my ID. Not sure his wife would approve.
 canoist
Msg: 3
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 3/31/2008 8:34:59 AM
Yes!
I'm a amature vintner. I pick the wild black raspberries that grow around here in the middle of the summer, and make a delicious wine. I like a dry wine with a strong flavor of the berry.
I've also fermented grapes, highbush cranberry, service berry, mullberry, and am about to begin a batch made from mango!
I like the challenge of working with the living yeast, complex chemistry, flavor, and picking the wild fruits.
Mmmm.
 dude/2
Msg: 4
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 3/31/2008 8:40:02 AM
Yep !!...I have a small book published in England...its full of many beer, wine, and cider recepies.... cant be sure but I think its from the early 1930s....
As for the wine, this man made wine from everything immagineable !!!.... he had about five recipies of dandyline wine.... Golden-rod wine, rhubarb wine parsnip wine,.. and all the many fruits that grow on bushes in England ..... I tried a few , but did`nt have the knowledge and equipment the author had ... as I was just a kid ....
The ginger beer I was paticularly interested in... because as kids my father took us to0 a special place in OLD montreal...i think its still there ....They sold ONLY hot-dogs and ginger beer, which was served from a tap !!!.... we even went there when it was 20 below zero...evertime someone opened the door alll the steam would bellow out, looking like the place was a fire !!!....The ginger beer had a wonderful bite to it , and it fizzed in your mouth !!!...it had a lemony ginger taste to it.... a lrge stein was .25cents and the dog a dime....
I`ll try to find the book mentioned and keep you posted ....
Good old days.....
 hoarydragon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 3/31/2008 9:51:18 AM
Dude that be the Montreal Pool Room est 1912 and serving the best dogs in the city.
 nebula22
Msg: 6
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 3/31/2008 10:01:08 AM
I grow my own raspberries and blackberries to make wine..
I also make wine from pineapples and whatever else I can get enough of..
I like a sweet wine that has been aged for at least a year..
The higher the alcohol the better..
They say that my wine is dangerous because you can drink it like coolade,, Then it knocks you off your feet..
 ItWasOnlyALime
Msg: 7
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 3/31/2008 8:26:10 PM
My parents own a small apple orchard that they don't do much with. We pick the Jonathans when they're in season, and brew up hard cider by the 50 gallon barrel. The year before last, we did 100 gallons total, which after you've filtered it and syphoned it and whatnot, leaves you with maybe 80 gallons. The alcohol content it roughly equivalent to most wines (we added some sugar prior to fermentation, fermented it to dryness, and added no sugar afterwards), but we keep it in 5 gallon soda kegs under CO2 pressure, so it's lightly carbonated. My Dad likes adding a TSP or so of maple syrup to each mug, but I actually prefer it straight out of the keg.
 jeta
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 3/31/2008 9:21:16 PM
Maple meade

you are going to make a small quantity of this brew, I sugget that you follow this recipe fairly closely.
Ingredients:
3--1/4 pounds, maple syrup
7 pints, water
1/2 teaspoon, acid blend
3/4 teaspoon, yeast energizer
1 campden tablet
1 package, Red Star champagne yeast
Procedure:
It'll take about a day to really get fermenting, and should go like crazy for 4 to 6 weeks. Rack off the yeast sediment at that time and then re-rack at least 3 times at 3 month intervals. It'll be ready to bottle by 9 or 10 months of age, but the longer it sits, the mellower and smoother it becomes.
If you want to try this in a 5 gallon batch, use (in 6 gallon primary):

1 1/2 gallons of maple syrup
4 gallons water
2 tsp acid blend
4 tsp yeast energizer
1 campden tablet
1 pkg Red Star champagne yeast
 vbxtc
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 5/11/2008 9:49:34 PM
I've been making my own liquers for about 11 years. This recipe was actually one of my first attempts at making alcohol, but my only shot at wine making. For those interested I adapted the recipe from "A Witch's Brew" by Patricia Telesco. For those who like to experiment, the book has many "different" alcoholic recipes. This one promotes health and good fortune. The reception from friends and family was overwhelming. It's a lot of work, but worth every drop.

Honeysuckle Wine
4 Cups honeysuckle blossoms
1 gallon water
6 Cups sugar
Juice and peel of 2 oranges ( I like tangerines)
1/2 package wine yeast

Briefly rinse pollen and dirt from blossoms and place in a large crock. Heat half the water to just below boiling, then pour over petals. Allow to sit until blossoms turn almost translucent. Strain and and rewarm slightly, then add sugar, orange juice, peel and yeast. Pour into a fermentation container with a lock and let set until the liquid becomes clear. Strain out fruit, bottle and store in cool, dark area for use.

Tips:
Collect blossoms when "ripe", after the nectar has formed in the bottom (mid-May thru August). Do not pick blossoms next to a roadside unless you like the taste of car exhaust. I figured out that it takes roughly 15-20 minutes of steady picking for every cup. If you have kids, this is a great family project.

Finding good oranges in the middle of summer can be tough, it's the off season for here and South America. Use the best you can find.

This wine will be slightly carbonated, but I'm guessing if you use champagne yeast you could make your own bubbly!
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 10/6/2008 3:05:41 PM
this year is mostly mead after getting 60 pounds weight for a bout £55 :)

strawberry mead, ginger and apricot, rosehip and metheglin soon :)

generally 3.5 lb honey for medium sweet, plus 2-3 pounds of fruit
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 11
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 10/6/2008 6:14:07 PM
These are the best that I've made so far;
Cherry (acerola) Chardonnay
Blueberry Merlot
Crenshaw melon wine
Walnut Liquor (Turkey-Day and Xmas fav.)
Cranberry Liquor (Turkey-Day and Xmas fav.)
Pistachio Liquor (great anytime, especially for a Martini!!)
 touchthemud13
Msg: 12
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 4/28/2009 9:52:30 PM
I have both blackberries & raspsberries that I'll make cordials & liquours from. I have also made my own Bailey-Irish Cream, Kaluha, different fruit flavoured liquours, {gingered pear was divine!!!! } and chocolate liquours. After some experimenting, I started making my own flavoured extracts, vinegars and other goodies like brandied-nut praline sauce and espresso-cocoa hot fudge sauce for ice creams. Mmmmmmm!
 stonemesa
Msg: 13
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 4/29/2009 2:56:14 PM
Making beer and wine is old stuff for me but 7 months ago I tried my hand at making a Melonmel. I used 12 pounds of honey and 12 pounds of Marion berries. OMG is this stuff good
 stonemesa
Msg: 14
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 4/29/2009 3:02:50 PM
One of my friends made wine from rhubarb. I really enjoyed it and wish I could get more.
 susiedawn
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 5/19/2009 6:18:45 AM
Awsome Recipes.
 mik1950
Msg: 16
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 5/20/2009 7:59:45 AM

One of my friends made wine from rhubarb. I really enjoyed it and wish I could get more.

dude...rhubarb wine is a staple in most home wine making books...that and dandelion wine...try planting your own rhubarb...it requires no care what-so-ever...you only need to contain it cuz it will spread...
dandelion flowers make a nice wine too...
my uncle used to make it all the time...he over-amped it tho...4 or 5 glasses of it and "lights out"...very potent stuff
 outdoorsfuninsun
Msg: 17
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 5/21/2009 1:18:26 PM
homemade wine: I used to make it way back in the day with my Father, the nice thing is you can make it as strong as you would like. just set it and forget it!!!
 42 L F Everything
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 9/5/2009 11:22:07 PM
The Key to making good berry wine is patience. Don't take it out of the secondary fermenter to soon. While there are additives to speed things up I have always found that if you are fermenting to a dry wine let it sit for several weeks after it stops fermenting and let it settle on its own.

If I have access to enough berries I will try just about anything and some combinations can be great as well. Was pulling choke cherries out of the freezer a couple of years ago and emptied them into the primary and accidentally added a bunch of Saskatoon berries. Mixed it up and fermented it and it made an excellent wine. Now since it happened by accident I do not have a recipe. Have enough of each berry this year to try it again and record the amounts. I estimated at the time it was about 60/40 mix of choke and Saskatoon berries. Once I have the results I can post.

With the downturn in the economy home wine making is on a comeback.
 Cool_November
Msg: 19
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 1/8/2011 4:52:00 AM
I got a home brew kit for christmas once and decided to give it a shot making some home brews.I made a mistake when adding the water because the directions where for a 19 litre carboy and mine was a 24 litre(I think, was long time ago).Anyway I added way to much water and the end result after fermetation was a beer that had 0.09 percent alcohol or something rediculously low like that.
Still tasted good and refreshing tho.....:)
 ksf123
Msg: 20
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 1/24/2011 3:09:17 AM
Several years ago I made authentic mead. At first is was very sweet, non-alcoholic. But later on it became carbonated and fizzing. The last time I tried it I saw mist/swirling smoke/gas at the top of the container and it fizzed out all over the place and tasted like hardcore alcohol that made my tongue and throat go numb. Yuck! I also made a few medieval recipes: they tasted really awful. That was the end of my journey into medieval ages beverage and food making. I also have the recipe for ancient egyptian mead (using barley water and a sifting process) but I don't like beer and the process is quite messy and time consuming. But the ancient egyptian foods I made were fantastic and delicious.
 carleyrenee1
Msg: 21
Home wine,cider & beer
Posted: 4/21/2015 8:53:48 AM
do you know how to make a homemade fruit tingle???
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Home wine,cider & beer