Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I thought it would be fun to learn something new!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mator13
Msg: 1
I thought it would be fun to learn something new!Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Since so many of us read these forums in order to learn something, I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we share something that we have learned in years gone by, either from somone who has had an influence on us, or from an experience that we have had. I'll start...
I learned from my Uncle Rich that, when you are making a PB&J sandwich, one should NEVER contaminate the jelly by sticking the peanut butter knife in the jelly jar! Always use a spoon to get the jelly out, and then you can spread it around the bread.
It's funny how I think of that every single time I make a PB&J sandwich.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 2
view profile
History
I thought it would be fun to learn something new!
Posted: 4/3/2008 10:00:05 AM
Always stand before you flush.
 oddandy
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/3/2008 10:23:19 AM
To cure the hiccups: Drink a glass of water "upside down;" put your upper lip on the back of the glass (rather than your lower lip on the front,) lean progressively forward, swallowing water as you go. Bend forward as far as possible while continuing to drink. Works every time, learned it from my granny when I was a kid.
 nipoleon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 11:24:33 AM
Didn't you think of scraping all the peanut butter off the knife onto the bread before putting it in the jelly ?
Either that, or you can lick it off first.
 trillium0
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/3/2008 12:09:24 PM
How does putting the toliet lid down help stop the spread of E.coli?
 jst_a_mskgn_grl
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/3/2008 1:45:24 PM

How does putting the toliet lid down help stop the spread of E.coli?

Every time you flush, there is a spray/mist that comes up from the toilet just as most of the water leaves the bowl and spreads throughout the bathroom. It lands on the ceiling, the walls, the floor, the toothbrush, and can spread throughout the house. . (Ick).

absolutely TRUE!

Which is why you should not only keep the lid down when you flush, but also keep toothbrushes, etc., in the medicine cabinet for those who don't close the lid!

As for learning something new... cut your fabric sheets in half. That's all that is needed and then they last twice as long!
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/3/2008 3:40:15 PM
Hairspray is great for static cling too. And if you get some ink on your clothes, spray them with hairspray. When you wash them, the ink will be magically gone!
 Frau Blücher
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/3/2008 10:48:35 PM
Rubbing a dryer sheet on the inside of your skirt or on your hose will also prevent static cling. As a plus, your hind end will smell like a summer breeze!
 Rainsands
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/4/2008 9:42:40 PM
We got rid of fleas in the house by spraying the cats and the household with a solution of 1 part original formula yellow listerine with 1 part water. The fleas dislike the smell of the eucalyptus and menthol essential oils in the formula and it sure beats the price of anything you'd pick up at a pet store.
 FatBottomGirlie
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/5/2008 6:31:56 PM
To stop a nose bleed apply pressure to the underside of your tongue. There's a major blood vessel that runs under your tongue and by placing a wadded up paper towel or cloth there you ease the blood flow and your nose can clot easier. It beats leaning your head back and having it run down your throat. Ew, I hate that!

To beat a migraine get in a tub of hot water, the hotest you can stand, while putting an icepack (frozen veggies work great) on the aching area of your head. I get migraines and I swear by this!
 Limestone_Lady
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/5/2008 6:55:00 PM
Coca Cola is the best toilet cleaner! Leave it in the bowl for 20 minutes for a peachy clean toilet.

The best way to sanitize your toothbrush, is in the dishwasher!
 mator13
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/5/2008 8:44:26 PM
Regarding the nose bleed, you should never lean your head back. In addition to swallowing blood, you can also aspirate it(inhale it)...not good.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/6/2008 10:18:40 AM
There IS a Miracle Cure for ALMOST everything that "might" ail you from depression, anxiety, obesity, failure to be able to sleep/get good sleep and dozens of others. This Miracle Cure MIGHT allow you to toss away SOME or ALL of the various pills you are popping. Just how much money might that save you?

It is called EXERCISE and I am speaking of the Aerobic variety, preferably for a 30 minute stretch or longer if possible, most days of the week. It will do wonders for your ATTITUDE. It will also most likely prevent you from getting sick and picking up every virus and bug that comes along from your family members or coworkers.

Better, faster, deeper sleep, less sickness, a better attitude, a good start to maintaining/losing weight, a longer, healthier, more productive life, more money in your pocket. The list goes on and on...
 FatBottomGirlie
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/3/2008 11:12:11 PM
Use hairspray to get the ink from an inkpen out of the majority of clothes.
 Lacquered
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2008 4:19:03 AM
peppermint candies, work well as cough drops and for sore throats and are much cheaper (as a matter of fact peppermint has great curative properties)

hairspray only works for ball point ink not gel ink

moth balls repel most bugs, spiders ants ect...... you just got to be able to stand the smell
LOL

I've heard the thing with the toilet........ eww, like the coke in the toilet suggestion as coke will clean all kinds of things.

Anyone got a good cure for earmites in cats as the medicine from the vets is getting expensive!!!!
Dreams
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/4/2008 4:40:01 AM
I swipe out my cat's ear on my own with a Q-tip to get some of those mites out. It's not a cure, but it helps him immensely. Your vet will show you how to safely do it.

Moth balls are good at keeping neighborhood cats away too...cats hate the smell of them.
 _JAFO_
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/4/2008 8:29:16 PM
When detailing my car I use a soft 1 1/2 inch paint brush to get the dust out of the air vents. It works well in the house to dust tiny areas also.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2008 9:22:00 PM
The best way to get skunk smell out of your dog (or anything else) is by washing with a solution of one large bottle hydrogen peroxide mixed with one box of baking soda and a little dish soap. Works a ton better than tomato juice!

When your calf cramps up into a knot, pinch your upper lip HARD and the cramp will quickly disappear.

Oh, and mythbusters checked out the toilet spray/toothbrush theory, and indeed found e-coli on the bathroom toothbrushes, but also on toothbrushes stored everywhere else you can imagine, including a separate room. I guess the lesson is to just brush and not think too much about it.

Dave
 _JAFO_
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/5/2008 10:25:26 PM
ok ... ok... I'm a NERD

The Debt, Revenue, Budget for each administration.

Here's something I compiled today. I've given the websites as reference so you can check my math. (I've been known to error)

I was curious if it's true the Republicans outspend the Democrats. Some factors like the S&L bailout in the Bush I administration, the hi-tech boom in the Clinton administration and the war during the Bush 11 administration are key factors. Now I'm curious to see what the value of the dollar and government employment per capita was during each administration. Anyone have those figures?

Reagan over 8 years combined (annual average)
Debt During Term: 1,604.4 (200.55 annually)
Revenue During Term: 5,751.2 (718.9 annually)
Total Money Spent: 7,355.6 (919.45 annually)
Percent Spent 127.9%

Bush I over 4 years combined (annual average)
Debt During Term: 1,207.1 (301.78 annually)
Revenue During Term: 4,169.7 (1042.43 annually)
Total Money Spent: 5,376.8 (1,344.20 annually)
Percent Spent: 128.95%

Clinton over 8 years combined (annual average)
Debt During Term: 1,262.7 (157.83 annually)
Revenue During Term: 12,372.8 (1,546.60 annually)
Total Money Spent: 13,635.5 (1,704.44 annually)
Percent Spent: 110.21%

BushII over 7 years combined (annual average)
Debt During Term: 3,200.2 (457.17 annually)
Revenue During Term 14,637.0 (2,091.00 annually)
Total Money Spent: 17,837.2 (2,548.17 annually)
Percent Spent: 121.86%

Each successive administration spends more per year. The Clinton administration spent more money than previous administrations, but also received more revenue during his term (50% more). The same is true with Bush II.

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/#usgs302
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt_histo5.htm
 MrTwistedPersonality
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2008 11:19:05 PM
Well, it will take me a while to compile my list, but I can leave a few tidbits:

Childproofing equipment can be a healthy safety standard, but is the bane of all reparations in an attempt to fix them. (Me using a slot screwdriver to bypass child-protection lever on my laser printer. On a metal-framed table… While sitting on a metal chair. I didn’t get launched, but needless to say, not the best way to do repairs)

Never saran-wrap the toilet or put baby oil on the seat when female relatives are visiting.

Never tease a chain-smoker about commuting twenty miles to get their nicotine addiction while they are driving. (Sore arm and almost a long walk back)

College: The best four to five years of my life… Gone.

Your standard stuffed pillow increases up to 25% of it’s original weight due to dustmites and their fecal matter after a year, and

It’s never an outright lie if it is an explanation full of half-truths.
 nipoleon
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 2:45:42 AM
If you work in a store where you swipe credit cards through a magnetic reader. After a while, the heads in the reader get dirty and won't read the strip on the credit card.
There is an easy and quick way to clean the heads.
Take a dollar bill and fold it over a credit card or similar piece of plastic, then run the bill through the reader across the heads . The bill will clean the heads and your credit card swiper will work again in a jiffy.

A quick way to count the money in your cash drawer.
Count the bills first starting with the big denominations keeping count in your head.
Any idiot can do that and you will have a whole number once you get down to the $1 bills. Then add your quarters, add your dimes and nickles together, then your pennies.
A good cashier should be able to count at least a $200-$300 cash drawer in no more than a minute.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/6/2008 7:28:53 AM
The shutting of the toilet bowl is a huge pet peeve of mine...because of the stuff that flies around from a flush! Ew! I saw a show on 20/20 or 60 minutes where they did an experiment with blue dye and special lighting...it was everywhere! JUST SHUT THE LIDS, DAMNBIT! LOL

Newspaper is the best thing to clean glass and windows with...and you can do such with good ole fashioned soap and water, with no streaks or lint left!

Seems too obvious, but most people spend three times the amount of time needed in cleaning their homes! If you just spray your elbow grease jobs ahead of time (tubs, showers, dusty furniture, oven, etc) and do the other tasks first...these just wipe away quickly when you get to them! (and the theory behind those in between shower, shower sprays!) Another obvious...clean from top to bottom!
 **Tee**
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/6/2008 5:07:32 PM
Never, ever put normal dishwashing liquid into a dishwasher....unless you need your floor washed also, then its ok...
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/8/2008 3:59:38 PM
Bounce sheets [original smell] are an insect repellant.
=====
D'oh Jungle you beat me to it now I have to think of something else. ARGH!!

Um, ok, here goes:

You should always read ALL the posts before adding yours so you don't duplicate what's been said.

Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/8/2008 7:46:50 PM
Don't ever put your purse on your kitchen table or countertop again. It has been studied, and there is more ecoli found on purses than there is in some toilets. They think babies in shopping carts have a lot to do with it.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I thought it would be fun to learn something new!