Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When someone points out that "you're old"..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
When someone points out that "you're old"..Page 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Every once in a while I will have a younger person, usually women in their mid-20s who I am NOT trying to pick-up, say to me "You're old". It happened here on POF. I was debating someone in the forums when a girl in her late 20s not liking what I was saying started calling me "Old man". How do you respond to something like this? It apparently seems like a put-down but it really dosen't offend me. Am I expected to crawl away in embarrassment because of my age? I really cannot think of how to respond to someone who says this to me as it just seems childish and rude. After all, I would not look at a person in a wheelchair and say "you're crippled". How would you respond?
 ~Scoundrel~
Msg: 2
When someone points out that you're old..
Posted: 4/5/2008 2:06:39 AM
I always reply with something like "that's right, I old enough to have had every thought you've ever had at least 5 times. So, just give up on getting the best of me. I eat kids like you for breakfast"
 ankkka
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/5/2008 3:24:57 AM
If you are old...it is true...you are old.
So what are you doing between young people?

Don't teas me...you are not interested...
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 6:41:37 AM
Every one of the first 10 answers is GREAT! First of all, NEVER crawl away in embarrassment over your age! You KNOW that in 20 yrs....they're going to realize (probably the hard way) that you were RIGHT.
Think of the movie, "Fried Green Tomatoes"...when the 2 young girls whipped into the parking space that Kathy Bates was wating for...they get out of the car and smirk..."Face it...we're younger and have better reflexes"....and as she's ramming into their little convertible and they're standing there screaming....she replies, "Let's face it! I'm older and have better insurance!"
I don't think that I'm all that rare in having been a child who totally idiolized her grandparents. They weren't "educated", and they didn't know much about technology, or math...but I should only live long enough to know the things that they knew! The insights, the experience....things that my grandfather told me 40 yrs ago...and still today, something will happen...and I think....well, I'll be danged....my Grandpa was RIGHT! (Who'da thunk it!)
Not to in any way defend the rude 20 somethings, but just to acknowledge that we (older folks) do also need to be careful to NOT expect younger folks to always learn from OUR experiences either. Sometimes we just need to shake our heads and walk away....realizing sometimes the experience has to be experienced to truly learn it.
LOL! Me, being me though.....I think if someone said to me ..."You're Old!" I'd reply with , "Yup, I'm ugly and mean too!" Meaning that it's all irrelavant to the point.
 My I
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/5/2008 7:23:44 AM

I was debating someone in the forums when a girl in her late 20s not liking what I was saying started calling me "Old man". How do you respond to something like this? It apparently seems like a put-down but it really dosen't offend me. Am I expected to crawl away in embarrassment because of my age? I really cannot think of how to respond to someone who says this to me as it just seems childish and rude

My response:

"But I am still young enough to kick your ass if you ever say that again!"
 kornbluth
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 7:49:23 AM
"…calling me "Old man". How do you respond to something like this?"
----------------------------
Well, one day you'll be old, or you won't.
 SueCat51
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 8:32:17 AM
Look, these young punks will be "old farts" some day too. You don't even have to respond. Just smile, and realize that with age, comes wisdom and experience. I remember when I was 20 something, I looked at every 40 something as being an old fart. Now that I'm 52, I'm sure the folks that would hear me say "old fart" are having the last laugh.
 Miss W
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/5/2008 9:14:46 AM
I just simply tell them that if they are lucky, their day will come too for we are not immune.
 MsMicki
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 9:26:33 AM
I normally tell them you're only as old as u feel.....
then I rub by breasts.....and say I feel pretty good....and walk away.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 9:33:41 AM
Mostly I find that young women can't grasp the idea that they are as completely unacceptable to me as potential love interests as I am to them. I changed a lot of diapers and wiped a lot of noses in my time, and I never want to do it again, with the exception of the odd time dealing with my grandchildren.
 RDtoo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 11:45:06 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I am usually so flabbergasted that someone would say this I get speechless. Now if I was trying to hit on a 20 something I would expect to be called old or something worse. That is why I pointed out that I was NOT trying to pick these girls up. Another of these incidences happened at work where a snotty 26 year old said this to me. I don't think she meant any harm, but I noticed a couple of people trying to stifle laughter so that is why I am looking for good comebacks. I wear a button on my coat sometimes that says "It's not that I am old, your music really does suck". Kind of looking for snappy things like that.
 Celticmist
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/5/2008 8:26:42 PM
" with age comes grace, wisdom, and beauty - with youth comes a smarta$$ attitude, I am glad, I'm old"
 moraima
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 8:31:39 PM
No one has ever said that to me either. I am sure if someone did say that I laugh until I cried. If nothing else my laughter would confuse them.
 RDtoo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 10:13:28 PM
A college professor told an anecdote in a book I read that cracked me up. He was standing with another Professor, a female. Both of them were in their 50s and attending some college function. A young studly male student passed at some point to which the woman Prof said that she wouldn't mind taking him up stairs for a roll in the hay. After a pause she then said "But I really wouldn't care to talk to him, you understand".

On the old tv series "the Lou Grant Show" a 22 year old was trying to seduce Ed Asner to further her career. When he figured out what was going on he told her "My dear, I am too old for you. For us to have a decent argument I'd have to explain both sides of it to you".

Hmm, I guess Ed Asner came up with the snappy comeback I have been looking for.
 RDtoo
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 11:16:27 PM
Greeneyedmisfit, that last line you wrote would be another good comeback.
 Wunderkindt
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:19:47 PM
“Your powers of observation are astounding … Anything else?”

“Yes, I’m old and you’re immature … What’s your point?”
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:51:04 PM
I think I would tell them: "Aging is the toughest thing you'll ever do. Maybe if you stop whining and toughen up you'll get to be old too." Sometimes saying nothing is the best, just roll your eyes and smile.
 prof48
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/6/2008 9:00:47 PM
I tell them "yes and I'm still alive." If they want to learn from experience rather than me, they probably won't make it. If you want to look good when your my age better to learn from prior travellers. Those with more scars can teach you more.
What kills me is when my daughter complains that she is getting old. She's not yet 20.
 My I
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/6/2008 10:56:11 PM
The last young guy who called me old ate some humble pie. The conversation went like this:

Me, "You look like you're having a problem... can I help you?"

Young guy: You're too old to understand any of this."

Me, "Try me."

At that the boy continued (sarcastically), "I am trying to reinstall windows xp pro using the 6 floppy disks I have created. I get to the repair screen and then hit a blank cos I have no idea what the command should be to get it to work. I have spent the last 3 hours working thru article after article and just seem to be going round in circles!!"

I smiled... looked him in the eyes and said, "That's simple! When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below (This is where you stopped in your post) . This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

This should help.... Is there something more challenging I can help you with?"
 MacKevinized
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:43:26 AM

I was debating someone in the forums when a girl in her late 20s not liking what I was saying started calling me "Old man". How do you respond to something like this? It apparently seems like a put-down but it really dosen't offend me. Am I expected to crawl away in embarrassment because of my age? I really cannot think of how to respond to someone who says this to me as it just seems childish and rude.

Seems the question is about how to deal with immature insults.

1. You can memorize immature counter insults and insult their inexperience.
2. you can ignore the immature insults
3. you can give longwinded lectures about manners and communication
4. you can make inappropriate sexual advances
 RDtoo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2008 9:56:44 PM
Talkingmale, we had better not live that long. They are predicting social security will run out in another 20 years. Nothing like a bunch of homeless centurians.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/12/2008 1:40:49 PM
I would say, "I am old; you are stupid or, at best, ignorant. Even trade."

I would much rather be old than dumb.
 feedem
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 5:16:40 AM
I would much rather be old than dumb.

Dumbness.......todays dumbness is yesterdays intelligence, I'm so far behind the high tech generation.....my old world did not operate under computer conditions....instant messageing was'nt available.....I did'nt know inflation would eat up my savings....so, now an IRA is the answer........and of course, faster cars, younger women and more money............
 abelian
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/14/2008 2:28:40 AM
I was debating someone in the forums when a girl in her late 20s not liking what I was saying started calling me "Old man". How do you respond to something like this?

Tell her when she knows what the words ``faux pas'' mean to look you up and if she isn't too old for you, you can discuss your age during her first dinner date somewhere nicer than Burger King.
 itechman63
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 7:38:27 PM
I got a comment of being old not so long ago and I laughed that they'd still be working after I'm retired. "I'll show you my scorecards from the golf course every day".
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When someone points out that "you're old"..