Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Uptown Girl      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Thatguy67
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Uptown GirlPage 1 of 1    
I guess you guys are referring to Billy Joel? Its ok to type his name.

I liked "Under Pressure" & "Allentown" way more than anything else he's done.

surfguitar1
Msg: 5
Uptown Girl
Posted: 11/20/2008 8:48:17 AM
Although he's a fantastic piano player and a expert pop craftsman, he represents what has got to be the most insipid type of so-called rock and roll. I think only Paul McCartney is somehow worse.

(As an aside, "Captain Jack" is a guilty pleasure of mine. . . .)
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 6
Uptown Girl
Posted: 11/20/2008 9:30:11 AM
Great music, great lyrics, timeless stuff, and lots of fun...but the best is yet to come. Billy Joel is a bona fide classical musician and writer, and I truly believe he'll be remembered with the likes of Beethoven and Chopin after he's gone.

My favs are "Allentown" (I always loved the gritty blue collar feel of that tune),
"Downeaster Alexa" (same thing but with a more Martha's Vineyardish feel), "Goodnight Saigon", "Keepin' The Faith" and "Movin' Out".

However, I could listen to all his stuff constantly, it never gets old for me...plus he and Donovan are the only two who ever wrote songs about women who's names are similar to mine.. so points for that too hehe.

I've heard he's the nicest man you ever want to meet usually, but can be the polar opposite once in a while depending on what he's doing/what day you catch him on.
 drac36
Msg: 8
Uptown Girl
Posted: 11/26/2008 12:02:13 AM
I remember this song because it was (I think) 1983-84, New Years Eve...Casy Kasem was hostig the first ever radio/tv broadcast of the top 100 songs of 1983. Michael Jackson had Billie Jean, Thriller, Beat it (excuse me while I barf) but BIlly Joel was right there too. He is such a songwriter. I've met many uptown girls...now we call them princesses and barbie dolls...were they that way in 1984? Probably. Valley girls.
Like, whatever. Grody to the max. I have to leave this post now so I can apologize to the gods for being an 80's child.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Uptown Girl
Posted: 3/29/2009 8:27:09 AM
Joel is on tour again with Elton John. They're hitting the road for parts of the next 2 years.

good guitar player
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Uptown Girl
Posted: 3/29/2009 7:42:08 PM
Well said surfguitar..

read a RS interview with him and he was trying to show how punk he was at the time and raging on about how pompus things like yes zep and floyd were. he did not stop to think he was A major target of guys like Lydon and Strummer. he just joined a new fad by putting on a pink coat . He came across like he was the keeper of the soul of rock, when he is more a pop adult comtep artist. lover of 50's music but more pat boone than Bo Diddly or link wray
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 12
Uptown Girl
Posted: 3/30/2009 7:31:51 AM
I liked the Chipmunks' version better.
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 13
Uptown Girl
Posted: 3/30/2009 7:32:07 AM
I liked the Chipmunks' version better.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Uptown Girl