Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > It's all about looks...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NMR-Girl
Msg: 2
It's all about looks...Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Wow. It's my hope that people aren't like that. I know I'm not.

But...you know when you've had enough. I'm sorry.
 kathareeene
Msg: 4
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 6:04:14 PM
huukdonfonix
u r absolutley rite he cant b mad at US cause he aint all that
im not either im not mad at n e one
so chill and good luck
kathi
 indehills
Msg: 5
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 6:10:13 PM
Sounds like Ebenezer Scrooge blaming the rest of the world because he's so miserable.

Three years and only two responses? Either you're the ugliest guy in the world, or your profile made you sound so repulsive or immature that nobody would bother to write to you.

Or when you updated the pictures, you inadvertently switched your profile from hidden to viewable. In any case, you sound like a WONDERFUL catch.
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 6
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 6:18:42 PM
thanks for the experiment and post op.

this sure puts a chink in all the threads debating the subject of looks vs profile content of those who say content before looks regarding men....

good luck to you back in the real world....
 thehowling
Msg: 7
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 6:35:44 PM
I don't think he's complaining or he's being a "scrooge" he's just stateing a fact (at least for him).....the weird thing is a day or two after he leaves there might be a woman looking to send him a message (she saw his profile earlier) but she couldn't get around to messaging him until now but "now" is too late because he just left..i know cause it happened to me.
 iamhal9000
Msg: 8
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 6:56:06 PM
So many men and women on this site are hypocrites. Both sides are guilty of being pic-whores. And both sides are skilled at putting the right words in their profile, yet remaining shallow in their true interests.

It's unfortunate it took the OP this long to come to that realization, and that the reality had to be shown to him in such a dramatic fashion. But, hopefully, he can turn his attention to a quality woman IRL, rather than hoping beyond hope that he would catch someone's attention here.
 kcars17
Msg: 9
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 7:10:27 PM
should of read through some of the forum posts, he would have discovered this after about...ummmmmmmmmm.... one thread...
 lonestardaddy
Msg: 10
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 8:31:42 PM
Tigger, Sorry that this venue didn't work out as you hoped it would ...and that you made the effort that you thought to be sufficient to 'win' some more readers over for how great you are ...even if downloading pics other than your own might say more for the less that you 'resorted' to becoming. How did it go w/ those two people that you did meet from here? One date each ...or did you feel any deeper sort of connection?

In my 1.5 years here on PoF, I've met just one person, and she's a fabulous woman ...other than perhaps feeling a bit insecure, as we all are at times, for the connection that she and I have. She's had her share of abuse ...as I my own. but it didn't stop either from having what isn't going to happen between us.

Better luck to you in your future elsewhere endeavors, but I can testify that it's not the quantity, but the quality that matters most ...and there are many fine possibilities beyond the one who's 'hooked me' from here, but she brings more than just her good looks to us as a couple. Courage and perseverance are among my 'must-haves'.
 Pantherrrrr642001
Msg: 12
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 9:07:07 PM
First off there is no point in replying to the OP because he was yet another one of these upset fishies who leaves a "goodbye " letter and isn't around to read it.

I have been here almost 3 years as well and had one date.
Do I blame everyone else? NO
Do I go out anyhow and have fun at POF events ? YOU BET!!
...and I have made many great friends on here..... hence the reason for staying,...that and I MAY actually find someone to click with eventually. No rush. Besides one of those great friends have friends too....... one never knows??
 nxtdoorgirl
Msg: 13
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 9:26:48 PM
I much rather go out with a guy with "normal" looks than with a model any time.
The good looking guys are so full of themselves is a waste of time.
Unless you are unemployed a midget, bald and have a gut. Do you? Don't think so!
In any case, good luck to you!

xjagox
Msg: 14
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 9:49:08 PM
Yea....don't know what to say dude. I guess you could go to the gym a lot, get a nice tan, style your hair like a celeb, take some shots of ya on the beach....that way you don't have to lie. But if you work on your looks so hard just to get women attracted to you, I have a feeling you will still feel upset on the inside because women never appreciated you for who you were. At least you'll spark their interest with the new look though.

I'm surprized at how many people take this site seriously....yea sure it's a dating site but your main focus should still be on meeting people in real life, don't rely on this site as your only option....but rather something that expands your resources a little bit. Besides, I actually find meeting and dating women in person far easier than hooking up from online sites.
 a heart filled with love
Msg: 15
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 9:58:23 PM
Good luck. I'm a very nice looking man and not getting a whole lot of woman, well maybe you are not trying hard enough, maybe you are spitting more game than real talk when you send messages, and you are right woman are looking for prince charming when them are the one's who hurt you. Some woman like being hurt. A model has many of woman, they are the one's that draw a lot of attention, some woman like other women men.
 nexthyme
Msg: 16
view profile
History
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 10:31:04 PM
I went out a couple of times with a guy that said he didn't get many dates, and certainly not from someone that looked like me... Believe me I am an average gal, that just works hard to look my best.

It is all about personality and outlook on life...

The smuck I GAVE A CHANCE since he seemed so very flattered I'd consider going on some dates turned out to NOT be a nice guy. However he told everyone and especially himself he was a great guy, and didn't understand why women would friendzone him...

Ummmm because when all was said and done he acted like a spoiled three yr old, and blamed me for NOT wanting to keep up with his tornado speed of dating me, and bedding me, and and NO THANKS...

A person doesn't have to have super model looks for everyone. IT is all about how fulfilled you really all within yourself. Send out desperate vibes, and even the prettiest people have dating troubles...
 betterlate
Msg: 17
view profile
History
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 10:47:28 PM
What an idiot thing to do! so while you were doing it all right, ever think about writing someone you felt was interesting or were you just waiting for love to be delivered like chinese food?

You know, the only people you were attracting with the male modle pictures were people that are only in it for the superfical, even if you did look like a model you would not be happy being used for what you look like.

Grow up, make an effort and stop being dishonest
 JamesP166
Msg: 18
view profile
History
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/7/2008 10:54:27 PM
I tend to not look at the mans I hope that you understand this about me

but at the women's - - - and some of the pictures simply turn me right off.

She has 5 pictures and not one has a smile - - - what does that say about her - - I go next. Is she fit and attractive, or 100 lbs overweight - -

What does your picture say about you?
Tee Shirt with a beer in your hand, un-keep hair - - are you showing off you toys, Speedboat, fast car. Are you fit or highly overweight.

- - - - are you bragging about being a smart ass in your profile and self centered.

I have checked out a few of the men's - - see who is posting in one of these threads. I can see why many women would be turned off.

Myself, I did not get any interest for weeks and was starting to wonder and now, have a couple that have showed up in the last two weeks, added me as favorites and emailed me - - - Note this is not from my contacting them first - - -

Jim P.
 Lady.Rancher65
Msg: 19
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 4:32:19 AM
I definitely understand the initial writer's point. But 'huukdonfoniks' is exactly 'right on',also. Now, let me give you a 3rd scenario. Just yesterday, I decided to drive a few short miles (it just so happened the guy lived nearby and I located his address after he kept leaving his phone # whenever I would ask for a pix. I finally gave in and called him to let him know I was 'on my way' to meet him at his house. He said he was just getting o/o the shower and that it was a 'bad time'. Well, that 'bad time' could have meant a lot of things so that made me even more determined to put an 'eye' on him. After all, there has to be 'something' for the eyes to see to get your motor revving. (Before I go any further, NO, I was only going to sit in my car (which I did) and face it for a 'quick getaway'...never know, could be a bad dude...and wait for him to come out)...I told him I only needed 30 seconds. (Found out when I got there, he was on his way to work...2 pm weekday). Let me tell you this...my heart was pounding so hard it hurt, after I met him. His eyes made me melt. They appeared to look right into my soul and he would always look right into mine. I kept my cool, though, because I didn't want to drop my guard. After all, I hadn't spent any time with him as yet. We ended up talking for 20 minutes, with him standing out in the cold with only my passenger car door to block the breeze (I thought he would come to the driver's side..and I was staying right there with the engine running (mine, too, ha! ha!) All I could think about on the way home were 'those eyes'. Yes, folks, he also had a sense of humor and he didn't look 60 nor act it. He didn't have as full head of hair as I would like. He will be contacting me today to see if I want to go a step further and go to coffee. (His comment was that he was 'pleasantly surprised'), You can bet I will go to coffee with him for 'another look at him and 'those eyes'. I was determined to have a visual for various reasons. He believed in "personality" first. Usually, that's because they don't consider themselves very attractive. I ended up being swept (almost) off my feet and I almost missed my chance at possibly dating him. Of course, it was 'handy' that he ended up living so close to where I work. That was sheer coincidence!! I was ready to, not totally give up, but to back away from the site for a few weeks to wait for 'fresh blood' to join. I still believe fully in being able to put a face with the profile, first, but I took a chance. THIS HAPPENED ON THIS SITE. We'll see where things go from here.
 Bree44
Msg: 21
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:55:15 AM
Hey , I always felt that it has to be about how they look to ME .. I like a certain look so does everybody, people on pof have issues & many at times , but when a lady or a guy is searching they should be looking at looks that appeal to them , common interest & leave the lies , baggage & tricks at home if you are seeking someone special then act it call or write after you meet , show that your not too busy to communicate, dont talk about how bad past relationships are focus on the present & have recent photos not someone elses , Im sure many people have gonr to meet & the person looks nothong like the photos ,,if they dont have more than 5 then ask to meet with in 2 weeks ... there are fakes , with fake photos too...
I am told im attractive & but I may not be attractive to you .. its like chemistry it has to work or its not a match ..some people think or say its what on the inside that is true but what attracts people is VISUAL, not just men need visual stimulation!
 Noodle29
Msg: 22
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 6:01:09 AM
Hello,

Well I have to agree on two sides. I agree that "looks" are stronger than anything else for when we look for someone. It's part of who we are and how humans work. And I really have a hard time believing that you have never gone after looks more then anything else. If you haven't, then you're the "only" expection in this world, because everyone else has done it, including yourself. So don't let your anger out at others, for doing something you have also done.
At the same time, it's sad that we are being led by looks more than anything else. There are alot of people out there who are average or below average then the pretty girl on a cover of a magazine and they are not given the same opportunity. So my guess as others have also said is, that there must be something else that people did not like about you and/or your profile for you to have that poor success here.
There are worse problems out there. So put a band-aid over and move on. Life does go on.
And yes I can relate to you quite well.... I'm quite petite and I have no been given the same opportunities here as the average girl might have(due to my height). Yet, I've lived to put up with it and kept trying. I loose more by giving up than trying.
 kissfanhere
Msg: 23
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 6:10:13 AM
hey.thats a good idea,but i want you to do this,cause you proved little on the looks thing.put those other good looking photos up there,ok,and change your profile saying you smoke, drink often,2 kids,and your recently seperated ,and looking to DATE.i bet you get the same amount of emails,this proving looks only,not personality.you might have to change that photo right.im a good looking guy too.when i tell them i dive truck,now its staight days,and weekends off.better than shift work. once i say that,poof,they are gone.my case its image, not looks.too many gamers and very picky overated women here.they need to look at themselves.let me know how you made out.
 kissfanhere
Msg: 24
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 6:11:56 AM
hey.thats a good idea,but i want you to do this,cause you proved little on the looks thing.put those other good looking photos up there,ok,and change your profile saying you smoke, drink often,2 kids,and your recently seperated ,and looking to DATE.i bet you get the same amount of emails,this proving looks only,not personality.you might have to change that photo right.im a good looking guy too.when i tell them i drive truck,now its staight days,and weekends off.better than shift work. once i say that,poof,they are gone.my case its image, not looks.too many gamers and very picky overated women here.they need to look at themselves.let me know how you made out.
 Bit-O-Class
Msg: 25
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 9:16:08 AM
I'm an attractive lady that lives in a large urban area and I contact men from this site. I believe in being proactive and I've met a lot of terrific people. One thing that I've found is that often photos don't do the person justice. I try to meet the guy pretty quickly so I can tell if there is potential. Looks are changed when the personality comes through. A vibrant smile and warm conversation can make a very average looking guy evolve before my eyes. I believe you have to meet to judge personality too. It's too easy to scam people with an email, and most everybody is getting good at putting up a decent profile. When I put myself out there and take the risk, I get good responses. Good luck to all of you.
 durga~devi
Msg: 26
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 10:13:03 AM
attraction... it's about attraction. We all have preferences. In response to "kissfan"... it's not the job but the "brains" I am attracted to. There is a man in the southern U.S. that is on a spiritual site, a trucker, that spells like crap (and that is something that bothers me) AND he has the most fabulous mind and deep insight. He is a person I am grateful for in my life. I have a man in my metaphysics class who is "homely" by many women's judgement and if he weren't married I would be courting him... I love his mind. He has so much going on and and can articulate his great knowledge and share. It's not all about looks. I always ask myself, could I greet this face in the morning over coffee? There are very few I have met that don't fit that criteria. There are lots of people on this site, as in life, that are less than "real" and less than "honest". That's okay... it's just the way it is. I have met some fabulous people through this site... men and women and am grateful to call them "friend". I have met with some very interesting "characters" through this site and have been grateful to see them in the rear view mirror. Haven't found the person who I will spend my life with ... yet. When the time is right... it will happen. Until then... make contact, make friends. Enjoy life.
 annam617
Msg: 27
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 10:21:11 AM
i have to agree with u, we live in a very shallow society....im sorry
 essex23
Msg: 28
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 10:44:58 AM
GASP!!! I can't believe it!! I won't!!! Look take precedence over personality, heart & soul, and one's ability to make someone else feel loved and cherished?!!? What has the world come to?!!?

Seriously though.....it took you 3 years to figure out that 90% of the people on this site are about as shallow as a rain puddle in the mid summer heat of the Sahara? Man...I figured that out after 1 day on here.....and I've been on here a little over a year now. Doesn't stop me...I figure eventually there will be someone who thinks like I do and that looks are an 8, the heart & soul are the true 10 of any person.

Looks are just "window dressing" to everything else.
 thehowling
Msg: 29
It's all about looks...
Posted: 4/8/2008 10:56:34 AM
Guess he was just thinking people were more evolved in their thinking when chosing a "partner"..and he got brought down to reality...he's just guilty of thinking the best in people.
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > It's all about looks...