Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Firearms and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 2
Firearms and DatingPage 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Always a topic that pits liberals against conservatives... why not just bring up sex and religon as well.

Women inherently don't like violence or anything to do with violence and guns of any type fit into that "anything" category.

Women also have self preservation to think about and a man who carries a gun or who has one readily available could turn violent on her.

I would suggest you take your dates skeet shooting... its fun, its a new challenge for most of them, it shows them there are sporting things to do with a weapon that doesn't involve killing anything and teaching them involves lots of touching and help and patience... three things most women also like.
 flyingiguana
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:44:09 AM

The negatives? An accident. Having it used against me. Having it used against my date. Having it used in poor judgment against an innocent person. Carrying can give someone a sense of superiority, which is a turn-off. Our govt and FOX Noise generates more than enough fear for me, and I don't need my date to create more.

i always hate it when my gun goes off during a date. things get messy...
 gtomustang
Msg: 11
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:53:04 AM
If you feel this much of a need to defend your passion...then yeah, you better get it out in the open on the first date.

apparently, its a polarizer. What defense and a date have in common, I really have no idea. Don't take your date to sleezy places, you're supposed to be impressing them :) Stay aware of your surroundings, don't be macho and walk to your car when strangers are standing about, don't go where you don't belong, and wouldncha know, you tend to avoid problems like most people

To me, a few drinks with a stranger with a loaded gun...um...
 grizzelda
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 6:39:27 AM
As a Canadian I find this thread fascinating!

My point is, the fear seems to be irrational, or simply due to ignorance of the machine.

When I read this point, I have to ask, who has the more irrational fear here? The person packing or the person who doesnt want to be around loaded weapons?

You lost me when you started making comparisons to knife wounds, making claims that gun owners are better at handling firearms that the police and that because someone has a liscence that means they are stable. Sounds like an advert for the NRA.
 solver
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 6:59:54 AM
First to princlyfrog message #3. You have bought into the propaganda, you may even be unaware of it, your statement regarding shooting and not killing anything shouts the "anti" heaped on us by the "anti's". Many of us hunt and consume our harvest.

Second; I have a concealed carry permit, only obtained after TWO armed robberies at one of my business. I put the word out in our community that I was carrying and NO further robberies. Chalk it up to whatever you will, but it worked for me.

Third; to those that would allow a firearm in the home, but require it to be unloaded, trigger locked, hidden, etc., you may as well have a rock instead for all the protection an unloaded gun would give. I am a believer and practitioner of gun safety, (I have grand children)

I do carry, hardly ever concealed, but I feel no additional superiority or power ideas that I do not have when I'm not carrying, lol.

I would carry on a date if I were dating, lol.

Just my humble opinion above, not looking to get in a shoot out with anyone.

Solver
 lets try again
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 9:06:00 AM
with rising crime rates, why would americans choose not to carry? and carrying has nothing to do with putting yourself in harms way...it finds you, we don't go looking for trouble. i for one hope that i never have to use it, yet with the training, i'm confident in my ability to stop a bad situation from getting worse.

for those that think all weapons are "evil" do you want me to ask you how you feel about being helped when street thugs want to cave your head in with a crow bar or do you want me to disperce the thugs? makes no difference to me either way, they can't and won't harm me...i'll protect myself.

another thing to think about, carry or not, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...choice is yours...excerise it as you see fit.
 pokey
Msg: 17
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 9:12:09 AM
you only need a permit to carry concealed.
we used to walk into stores at home carrying pistols on belts.
we left the shotguns in the truck. nobody cared.

my 44mag with a 10 inch barrel is fun.
my 50BMG will be more fun when it gets here. heehee!

there, that'll sort 'em out!
 gtomustang
Msg: 18
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 9:38:10 AM
1) If a knife really wounds better than a gun (I'll debate that, even not using lead bullets), then why only carry a gun? Sounds like someone isn't ready to defend themselves, according to this logic :)

2) Many home robberies occur during the daytime, to avoid the potential gun in the face. But, let's say you do get woken up at 2am...well, let's take a simple test. The last time you got woken by the call of nature...didya hit the bowl? If you turn the lights on, how long did it take for your eyes to adjust? B/c that's what the muzzle blast is gonna do.

Now, if you do fire your gun inside your own house every now and then, you've practiced, and have a better chance in that situation...but how many fire their gun regularly inside the house? I can guess the number...b/c its freakin' LOUD in confined spaces.

Like with all other solutions to a problem...try 'em out before you get into that problem. You may find the solution causes new problems, so you need a different solution....
 a12004h
Msg: 22
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 4:52:31 PM
Since your a Texan,

The Texax stats on permit holders. Google is your friend.
# Licensees were 5.7 times less likely to be arrested for violent offenses than the general public - 127 per 100,000 population versus 730 per 100,000.

# Licensees were 14 times less likely to be arrested for nonviolent offenses than the general public - 386 per 100,000 population versus 5,212 per 100,000.

# Further, the general public is 1.4 times more likely to be arrested for murder than licensees, and no licensee had been arrested for negligent manslaughter.

You can relax less than 2% carry in Texas.

So only about 1% of Texans men carry.

Some Licensees are women.

You chance of meeting someone who carries is about 1 in 100.
 CLASSIELAD777
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:35:03 PM
Those Airsoft guns SCARE ME....... I was at a small party once and one of the guys had one and was shooting cans off a fence post with it...... No Problem..... He asked me to try and I said they scared me.... he said try it anyway.... BTW HE HAD PAINTED THE TIP BLACK OVER THE ORANGE !!!!! ...... So I raised it and poped it dead center.... Why was I scared???..... Simple.... How did I know IT WAS A TOY !!!! ....I reached into the neck of my tee shirt and drew out a loaded .45 Colt semi auto from my chest band..... With 8 in the clip and 1 in the pipe ( I didn't****it as I pulled it)...... I told him that if he had pointed it at me, I would not have known it was a toy...... Ergo.... I would not have known until after..... See what I mean!
Yes.... I am licensed to carry in many ( 26 ) states and I always carry at ALL TIMES..... EVEN ON A DATE..... The one girl above said she would not date me because I carry... I tell all that I do.... That BULGE in my pocket is not what they think!!!! Back to her.... We are out..... walking.... holding hands.... maybe kissing and 3 Punks come up.... (a) I wind up on the street, robbed, stabbed, dying, and she, getting beaten, and Raped over and over OR (b) We are fine.... 3 are on the street..... Lady its your choice.... a or b... Its happening more and more..... I live in Florida and I think the # of CCL holders is about 1 in 10.... Crime is down..... Bob
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 24
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:36:21 PM

Freud did say that an irrational fear of weapons is a sign of sexual and emotional retardation.

Okay, I don't know everything Freud ever wrote, but this sounds like utter bullshit to me. It doesn't even sound like something he would say about anything.

You talked about not wanting to get into a political debate, and then characterized the Brady Bill as propoganda.

You're unhappy because your choices limit your dating pool. Good.

If you were on here complaining that your dog fighting hobby limited your dating pool I'd say the same thing. If you want to get laid, get rid of the guns.
 CLASSIELAD777
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:37:42 PM
**** = I didn't pull the hammer back to the rear and locked position.... Bob
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/8/2008 9:16:02 PM
^^^ "Seriously...Id never date a guy who carried a gun or allow one in my house. Simple. Frankly...you dont need it unless you live on a property & need to cull pests or belong to a professional shooting club."

Kyn, you are right, there are major differences in our societies regarding this issue. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but have to ask....based on what you mentioned about it's necessary to (or acceptable) if you live on property and need to cull pests. So, if I understood correctly, you're saying it's okay to use a gun to protect your property by eliminating the pests? Laws here state the same thing, only property isn't restricted to 'land' or livestock. It includes personal property. What is in your house, your vehicle, on your person. It is still your property and those who wish to take it away (the pests, if you will) often, are armed to some degree and willing to take by force. If the playing field can be leveled somewhat, well....I guess that's where we disagree.

Respectfully,
~ds~
 SwampHunter
Msg: 37
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/9/2008 7:22:05 AM
I plan to join a shooting club here locally, and take lessons. I will get a laser sight as well....that way if I miss them with the bullet, I can blind them with the laser. No, wait...if I am blinding them with the laser, the bullet should go right between their eyes, right?

I think that's terrific :) I got my ex-wife a "Lady Smith" - a lightweight 38 caliber revolver with a built in infrared laser sight built in. All you do is pick up the gun, and once you grip the handle it puts a red dot wherever the bullet is going if you pull the trigger.

I've made certain every single woman I've ever been in a major relationship with has a pistol, is proficient with it, is well trained in gun saftey, and is completely comfortable with it. I want to know she can defend herself and the children in the home whenever I'm not there.

Mark
 SwampHunter
Msg: 38
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/9/2008 7:34:52 AM
By the way - we have a city here in Georgia not too far from me called "Kennesaw". In 1982 the city passed an ordinance requiring every head of household to have a firearm. It was later amended to exempt conscientious objectors, felons, mental cases, etc.

Following that ordinance, it has been claimed that residential burglary rates dropped by 89%, though that number has been disputed. Personally, if I were a burgler, I think I'd want to stay clear of Kennesaw.

Mark
 Steampro
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/9/2008 10:53:31 PM
Aaaa yes...another non-emotional thread to think about...

Ask yourself this:

Would you go out on a date with someone that had been pre-screened by the police and found to have never been in a mental institution, under emotional care, had never had any domestic violence charges filed against them? Maybe, maybe not. But wouldn't it be nice if you knew this BEFORE you went out with them?

If you are the type of person that feels guns should be outlawed, please move to Washington D.C. Their you will find all the violent crime you can handle. If that doesn't suit your needs, there are plenty of communist countries that forbid their citizens from owning fire arms. Australia’s and England's crime rate soared when fire arms were confiscated......but remember....you'll be safer their...less guns.

Something else to think about:

Fire arm deaths involving children, from a statistical viewpoint, include "children" up to age 21! (As reported by the BATF)

As you may have guessed what side of the issue I'm on here, but remember this; YOU are responsible for YOUR safety. The police are a REACTIONARY element. Once the crime has taken place, the police react. They have no legal obligation to protect you. All the people that feel guns should be outlawed should remember that the Carry Concealed Weapons laws have also given YOU more security because a criminal doesn't know WHO has a gun, so they assume that you do as well. All the statistics have shown that violent crime goes DOWN when the number of fire arms, in the hands of law abiding citizens, increases.

You may not like people exercising their right to carry a fire arm, but you are safer because they do, and people who carry a fire arm are more likely to come to YOUR rescue if YOU are in danger of a violent crime.

Just my 2 cents worth.....
 Lacquered
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/9/2008 11:39:07 PM
I got a 9mm and a Sat night spec. (law enforcement edition) nice
but I miss my 44 that was stolen many years ago!!!!! :crying:

Lets go shooting!
Dreams

Guns dont kill people, people kill people!!!!

Edit: ^^^^ scratches river off list of possible date, shucks, licensed concealed to carry too...
 debbywebby32
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/10/2008 11:06:35 AM
What Bout Chicks that Carry?
It is unfortunate that I live in WI. and we are Not allowed to carry. As a criminal justice major it would be wise to learn sooner then later how to shoot. Sunday i took my first safety class offered by the NRA and shot everything from revolvers to semi-automatics. It was my first time shooting, and i did considerably well. It must be in my blood, my dad has had guns all my life, to say he is a collector would be saying it mildly, he has over 60 and he hunts as well as completive shooting , he has a title of "expert" shooter, and my brother is a sharp shooter in the army. I can not wait until i am good enough to compete. I see a 9mm in my future. I would definitely carry a gun after knowing how to properly and safely use it. Many times i had to do bank runs carrying thousands of dollars, me a blonde female in not the best of neighborhoods would gave me a little piece of mind.
I would most definitely date a man that carries, good to know that i'd be safe and protected. More manly then the soft pencil pushing men that normally ask me out.
 mikebalko2
Msg: 60
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/10/2008 11:44:29 AM
"the Supreme Court of the United States ruled years back that the police have no duty to protect you as an individual, but rather protect the State from the People, and that the People are responsible for their own welfare."

Why exactly are citizens continuing to accept to be taxed in order to pay police officer's salaries then!?
That is extremely disturbing but at least they were up front about it. Here in Canada, even if you have NO criminal record and NOTHING comes up in the background check you still can't get a carry permit even if you have a license to own a hand gun. You have to keep it locked up in a box with a trigger lock on the pistol and transport it in the trunk of your car when you go to the range!
 veloise
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/10/2008 12:05:41 PM

...Some of us believe in being upfront about our lifestyle... I'm one of the former, as it seems to be a barrier these days and I like to get things like that out in the open. ...

Get it out in front first thing. (This is why I rode my bicycle the one mile to my last first date; if it's gonna be a deal-breaker, don't break any hearts along with it.)
 TraderAshAOL
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/10/2008 1:03:55 PM
Interesting Post... ;)

1. No

2. It's extremely sexy to me. Nothing sexier than a beautiful, soft-spoken lady discharging a 100 round double clip in 6 seconds. Since I'm legally not allowed to own an air rifle because of a misdameanor battery charge 16 years ago for defending myself when I was young and stupid (well stupider LOL) It would make me feel awesome, safe, protected to know that my lady still has the right to discharge a clip to protect us and our family. And if she is a bad shot, I can just unload the clip for her and give her the MAC back after we are safe. (damn those parafin tests LOL ok I'll let her take the first shot ;)

3. Well I might tell a bad joke and then she gets pissed and threatens my manhood and then I have to beg her to keep it. LOL Guns work both ways.

Not sure why people are scared of guns, it's the bullets that worry me. LOL

One thing that I feel is interesting about this fear is that the reason most people are so affraid of guns is for one reason. THE SOUND. Why do you think owning a silencer is 25 years on the inside mandatory minimum in my state???

If silencers were legal, there would be a lot more love and respect among people and the world would be a better place. LOL I know that sounds funny but let's put it on the table for open debate. I'd enjoy hearing opinions on both sides of the issue.

I know that in the UK, cops aren't even allowed to own a gun and they have very few gun related deaths every year. Also Isreal and the Swiss have very few gun related deaths each year because every male over the age of 18 is required by law to carry an automatic weapon. (These facts are from my memory so check them to verify accuracy).

In the USA, some people have them and some people don't. And we know how many deaths happen here, seems like you can go either/or, but our way doesn't work.

We had a very sad case in CA where 3 black men broke into a white man's home who was a family man and was a pretty large drug dealer and they beat and tortured his family with a bat. The guy pulled out a shot gun and shot and killed two of the guys and the other guy ran away and escaped.

So what was the debate over this one??? They charged the 3 black guy with two counts of 187 because his actions caused his buddies to get killed. The white guy who shot them wasn't charged with anything.

So this poor retard decided to rob somebody (they only had a baseball bat) and now he is looking at double life in prison.

I think he should be charged with beating the guys kid half to death and B & E, too bad the guy runs so fast cause he should have been executed. But since he was a good runner I think he should get a lesser charge. LOL

TraderAsh@aol.com
 Anokagrassland
Msg: 70
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/10/2008 1:24:43 PM
I 'm fine with my date being armed.

In my life I've known more women that carry then men that carry. At least of folks who admit to it. I've carried at times when I thought the situation warranted it. Not for my own protection but that of the people with me. Namely my children.

As far as changing the constitution? Well, "they can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!"

Politics? I'm a right wing, conservative, bible thumping, pro life, lifetime member of the NRA and an environmentalist. Actually not as unusual as it sounds.

-Chris
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 78
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:51:35 PM

Here I would be careful in making presumptions that absence of psychological records indicates a person is mentally stable. Mentally stable enough to obtain the license doesn't necessarily mean mentally stable in other aspects within the parameters of being able to sustain a healthy relationship. I've dated men who carry and have been quite mentally stable. Conversely, I've encountered a couple of individuals who carry concealed legally and had the mental strength to responsibly handle the weapon, yet put them in a relationship? Anything but mentally stable (the weapon itself was not handled irresponsibly by either).

Cops being a perfect example of this...

First to princlyfrog message #3. You have bought into the propaganda, you may even be unaware of it, your statement regarding shooting and not killing anything shouts the "anti" heaped on us by the "anti's". Many of us hunt and consume our harvest.

I'm a country boy who grew up hunting, I own guns and have a permit to carry a concealed weapon (however, I rarely do). There was nothing anti- in my comment. I was simply providing a method of overcoming objections that some dates may raise by providing an activity that is fun, educational and works around what turns most women off... the killing "poor innocent animals".

Third; to those that would allow a firearm in the home, but require it to be unloaded, trigger locked, hidden, etc., you may as well have a rock instead for all the protection an unloaded gun would give. I am a believer and practitioner of gun safety, (I have grand children)

Unless you are properly trained in CQC (close quarter combat), having a loaded gun in the house is far more dangerous to the occupants of the house than it is for an intruder. There are enough statistics to make your position undefensible... in fact virtually all police departments advise against having a loaded gun in the home. Regardless, your comments are more about a policitcal statement than about firearms and dating.

I think the absence of comments from women who aren't pro weapons speaks for itself.
 Steampro
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/10/2008 5:55:00 PM
Hippychic....

If I may follow your logic.... you are also not a member of the press, so I guess you do not have the right to free speach either.

I'm sorry that you lost a member of your family to a "phyco" with a gun, but remember, it was the "phyco" that took your family member, he could have used a knift or a garbage can for that matter.

Maybe if you or your family member had a fire arm to defend yourselves with, today might be different for you....

I'm sorry for your loss....

Just my 2 cents worth.....
 simmering59
Msg: 80
Firearms and Dating
Posted: 4/10/2008 7:36:06 PM
As long as ur not a felon, I have np with u owning weapons. You can have it in the car, I dont care but if ur strapped, NO
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Firearms and Dating