Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why am I not getting anywhere?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 2
Why am I not getting anywhere? Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Maybe it's your profile?
Just something about it.
 willowbunny
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Why am I not getting anywhere?
Posted: 4/17/2008 9:15:46 AM
You could try putting a clearer photo on here. It is quite hard to see your face and most people are initially drawn in to a profile when they see a photograph they like.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/17/2008 9:20:33 AM
Right about the pic. That big white ghost does nothing for you. Besides SAYING the pic does not do you justice, post a better pic.
Text read as a bit desperate? to me.
Humor is good, but many a truth is told in jest.

Etxfireman
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 9:36:11 AM
sorry hun, but that is the way it is here in the animal kingdom! we are visual and that sparks the interest. and women are just as bad about not replying or anything.
 wallflower1
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/17/2008 9:44:49 AM
You want to know?
You are sounding too desperate and needy in your profile. Cool it down.
That picture with the cut-out? Agh! Tacky...
Change all of the above. That will help.
What are you saying in your "mails" to the guys that make them delete with no response? That is very important.
 wallflower1
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:16:05 AM
spearheadfish!
She wants help! She's begging to know what can be changed.
Canoeist did a very good job on what she needs to do.
 itechman63
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:24:54 AM
I don't see anything really bad about your profile. Some of us don't have a wealth of pics to choose from and I do like that you did 'white out' the companion. I have some photos I posted before where I've had to do it, but I also would draw a goofy face or dress-up the white area.

I think that the main thing really is just a prolonged "lull" because I don't think there's anything significantly wrong with your profile even if not all it can be. Hang in there.
 wallflower1
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:33:33 AM
Sweets...you wanted to know...and now you are pis*sed.
Great way to show the men what you are like.
So, keep the profile and the pic.
Got any other qestions that you want answers for? For what it is worth.
oh gosh...now you have shown Canadian men that they are dumb. I guess you won't be hearing from them now.
You just keep digging your hole, darling, and right now both your feet and your ankles are in your mouth.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:38:14 AM
Sweets,

We're not saying YOU are desperate or needy just that your profile reads that way.
BIG distinction.
 itechman63
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:42:00 AM

thank you itechman from Illinois! I love american men,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they sound much smarter! LOL

Well then... E=mc squared.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/17/2008 11:50:10 AM
ok sweets.
profile is better. And you blackened the ghost.
Nice touch. Perhaps a littele more cleavage. :o)
 Theonly1!
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/17/2008 12:47:51 PM
You need to take more pictures then. It's not a bad picture of you, but it is a bad picture in general.

The top ten list sounds like it could be anyone... is that really you... it's uninteresting...
 wallflower1
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/17/2008 2:28:14 PM
Hi Willie...I mean...Wonka bar,
She is expressing that she is a strong woman. She's telling the truth in her profile. Isn't that what you men always whine about? We are not honest and put false things in our profiles?
There you go...find a wussie dolly...I mean, simpering woman to match you.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/17/2008 3:24:19 PM
"Yes i am intelligent and know what i want, i do believe that tends to scare men away!"

I don't think it's as much intelligence scaring men away as it is attitude towards intelligence. I work with a lot of VERY smart people. Some are normal...and some throw it in your face. Who do you think is more likeable???

Oh and 'i"? should be " I" especially when discussing intelligence.

Picky? Yup!
 arwen52
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 3:27:49 PM
I just read your profile, which states that you rewrote it in response to comments in this forum. I'm wondering what it was like before because really, it comes across kind of scary. For instance, "If you & I click - watch out!" It sounds like a threat. There's a really good section somewhere in the forums about how to write a good profile. It's got some great suggestions. You might want to read it and/or get some help from a friend, preferably a guy friend who knows you well. Good luck.
 Sparkopassion
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 3:48:22 PM
Hi Sweets :)

Your profile reads very bad, drop the bullet points and numbering as this will make many men myself included pass you by after the first line or two.

I am sure you are a Lovely woman, but i comes across as aggressive and as though you have much pent up anger (which i am sure you dont have)

Focus more on what you would like from a gentleman, and not what you dont want.
Hope this helps.
 Boatguy109
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/17/2008 7:27:15 PM
Don't Panic just improve on it....Thing I look for is someone that seems to be fun laid back and enjoyable to be with....If it sounds to much like an Employee Handbook I kinda think already got one of them don't need another when I get home...Just be yourself be creative and honest guys dig that!....And its hit or miss anyway..luck of the draw...You can write a POF Award winning profile and is still luck if someone runs across it you would be interested in anyway.....keep on truckin you doing fine...just learning by asking......good luck u will be fine...
 wallflower1
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/18/2008 8:00:03 AM

All you men advising her to do this...do that...to her profile! Until it is a perfect profile of a perfect woman. The biggest whine on here by men is that women have dishonest profiles.
This woman is colourful! She had her personality and who she is right in that original profile.
She is aggressive, upfront, quick to anger, overly exuberant, excitable, flamboyant, has her emotions on extreme...but at least she is honest.
I like her. She is not perfect. She is more woman than most of you could handle.
What I find disturbing is that the profile that all of you edited for her is not reflective of who she truly is.
Sweets....be honest. Do what you want with your profile because eventually it will bring you someone who is right for you. Who matches you.
Good Luck!
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/18/2008 8:49:23 AM
wallflower,

no one is doubting that the OP isn't a great person, but SHE asked the question "Why am I not getting anywhere? "
She asked for suggestions. If everything was working out great, if she was happy with that ghost in her profile pic, if she had a great profile she would not have needed to ask that question at all.

Been on this site for awhile and I am wondering why I am not receiving any responses. I have sent out a few "hello" messages myself only to see that they have been read and deleted.
Was it something i said? LOL

everyone tried to help her.
 BlahGrim
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2008 1:56:07 PM
No. People can't really get past looks as a means of first impressions. I used to think they should, but am increasingly becoming convinced that such does serve a valid functional purpose.

It is a good argument against displaying all your information in your profile that it leaves little to talk about in the future. However, internet sites seem to create a channel surfing mentality that isn't as dominant in real world dating. If you don't generate a lot of interest quickly then you will not keep anyone's attention for long. The next profile is simply a click away.
 northeast25
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/22/2008 8:11:01 AM
A lot of people don't get many responses to their emails. It's just the nature of internet dating. You could have a great profile, but if people aren't attracted to your photos. Then they won't be interested in you.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why am I not getting anywhere?