Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Porridge- where can i buy plain simple porridge??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 robertpaulson
Msg: 12
Porridge- where can i buy plain simple porridge??Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
^^^ Health/natural foods store^^

I recommend Red River cereal, with some penut butter, rasins, and crushed walnuts.
 HB2
Msg: 13
oatmeal....how do you take it?
Posted: 6/9/2005 11:14:16 AM
I use the impoted Irish oats from health food stores...it's a lot heartier....
raw brown sugar/organic butter and sometimes raw wild honey
 WeekendHuntressKatelynn21
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/9/2005 1:38:55 PM
hotbush.. I'm so there! I want my oatmeal that way!
 Caryll
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Porridge- where can i buy plain simple porridge??
Posted: 6/12/2005 9:22:15 PM

To my knowledge it is called Quaker (brand name up here)Oats...find in most grocery stores, or bulk stores.

Just add water, a little salt, let it cook.
Serve with brown sugar and milk.
 Caryll
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2005 9:25:53 PM
Porridge-where can I buy plain porridge???
Red River cereal is not porridge and the same with Cream of Wheat

All are hot cooked cereals.
 daynadaze
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2011 11:06:55 AM
I like the little packets with the fruit in it, I add a little Splenda.

I use to like it with brown sugar and milk, but not so much anymore.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 20
oatmeal....how do you take it? With leeks?
Posted: 5/4/2011 11:46:29 AM

I like mine with peanutbutter.
He likes his with leeks, salt and pepper.

Anyone ever try oatmeal like that?

^^^No, I haven't.

I don't like any condiments on mine. Plain oatmeal w/fat-free milk, and fresh fruit. i.e. blueberries, strawberries or raspberries
 DoubleParked
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/4/2011 2:51:30 PM
Add some canned grapes to the oatmeal. Fiber plus fruit and some sweetness. Maybe a little milk.
 TooShadows
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2011 6:17:36 PM
If you're not worried about cholesterol: When I was a youngster I learned from my Polish grandmother to fry bacon fat quite crispy and add that to my oatmeal,along with brown sugar and condensed milk,cream or milk.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2011 12:51:07 PM
when the children were still at home and I was doing my "Mommy thing" and COOKING oatmeal, I would go the whole route, start with old-fashioned slow-cooking oats ... and add chunks of raw apples, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, pecans, brown sugar ... while it was cooking ... finish it off with a little blob of cream ...

now that the kids have flown the coop, I open one of those little packages and pour in hot water! my favorite instant oatmeal flavor has dates, raisins and walnuts! yum ... I DO sometimes add cinnamon to that ...
 vbxtc
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2011 2:39:52 PM
I usualy add nuts, dried cranberries and frozen blueberries, sometimes cinnamon, sometimes maple syrup.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/9/2011 2:44:33 PM
Old fashioned oats, thick steel cut, barely cooked so there is no gluten goo.

I like them straight from the bag over ice cream or yogurt. Dip a banana in it as you eat it. As a major ingreient in any bread/cake item.

I like ton toast it crispy, sprinkle raw sugar and cinnamon on a layer and pop in oven. Yum.

My guinea pig LOVES the oats.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/10/2011 11:21:57 AM
Irish steel cut oats are the best!

I like mine with a little milk and brown sugar.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2011 7:20:38 PM
I eat 'em raw...with ground flax seed, a banana and rice milk. (everything organic)
 karma1160
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/14/2011 7:29:32 PM
I think the peanut butter would be good in the oatmeal, but I will forgo the maple syrup.
I buy this product called: Lavish, it is dark chocolate oatmeal
I eat it warm, you have your fiber and your caffeine all there.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2011 12:49:43 PM
another way I use oatmeal is to add it to ground meats as a filler in meat loaf! I also add it as I'm making bread ... I use raw oats sprinkled over a thin coating of butter to keep my complicated cakes from sticking to the bottom of the pan ... last time I made lemon bars, I used quite a lot of oats that way, mixed with sliced almonds ... because lemon bars are delicious but sticky little things ... I add a lot of butter and brown sugar to raw oats, microwave them ... mix it up ... then sprinkle on top of coffee cakes before they go into the oven ...

see? no matter how BAD FOR YOU the end product is ... if you add oats or sliced almonds ... you can claim that it's healthful ...

MiamiDreams
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/17/2011 5:46:06 PM
I like my oatmeal lumpy.
 ~1happywoman~
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/21/2011 12:57:04 AM
Mmmmm.......fresh cream (I'm in New Zealand) and brown sugar. Just a little heaven after milking the cows on a cold morning!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2011 8:37:32 PM
I don't care for COOKED oatmeal at all. I love it raw, with cold milk, and maybe some maple or boysenberry syrup for a touch of sweetness. Cold!! Yum!
 jojoaus
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2011 2:35:20 AM
Oats, cooked in half low fat milk and half water, with a little extra milk poured over to create 'porridge islands' and sprinkled with dark brown sugar... OMG I'd eat that for ANY meal :D
 SAguy_06
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2011 6:28:37 AM
I eat oatmeal all kinds of ways. Mom liked hers soupy with cinnomon and raisins, Dad like stiff, plain with Banana cut into, Plain with Banana and Honey is my fav.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/24/2011 7:25:49 AM
I can't do soupy, but I can do oat milk. Whenever I can borrow one of those insane blenders that get every single grain, well cooked oats, a pinch of salt and cinnamon, and blend. Chill. Good *milk*.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2011 9:50:49 PM
Cooked in the thermos!

Old fashioned oats. Dried fruit, all sorts, added, with or with out brown sugar/honey.
Use to cook on stove top - good.
Then switched to microwave - low power, 7-10 minutes, still good but a tad more convenient.
Then I discovered the thermos: 2:1 water to oats, dried fruit on bottom, add boiling water, go to gym or swimming or get a couple of hours of work in, return and enjoy perfectly cooked oats. Works for me.

works for some other grains as well. I think this has worked for quinoa. Brown rice was a no-go.

Up here we have an oat mix from Wheat Montana - 7 grains --- chewy.

Don't be gruel, TK.
 Snappy_Turtle
Msg: 37
Please tell me you are lying about the peanut butter
Posted: 6/10/2011 4:56:52 AM
I love me some oats. I won't touch the packets though. It'd be like reaching for a fresh tomato and finding a slice of sun-dried. NO.

I grind them in a blender as a replacement for bread crumbs.

Eat them raw in a bowl with milk and diced green apples.

And to cook I let them soak in boiling water, although nothing so fancy as a thermos. I stick some boiling water in a cup w/ nothing else added -- 15 minutes for chewy, 5 for extra-crispy.
 Vannili
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2011 9:23:15 PM
I take mine with condense milk or fresh milk and white sugar.
I don't like the instant oats , I like mine the old fashion quaker oats.

PS the chinese eat with salt and they beat raw egg in it, I don't care for it very much but I ate it just to be polite.

Msg 31: oh yes that is the best, I forgot about that, a friend have tasted me that, and I love it.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Porridge- where can i buy plain simple porridge??