Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Steam room & Sauna      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mae B
Msg: 1
Steam room & SaunaPage 1 of 1    
Having found out I am allergic to the chemicals they use in the hot tub at my YMCA, I was wondering if I can get the same muscle relaxation benefits from using the steam room?
I've read up on the benefits of steamrooms and saunas regarding circulation and "sweating out the toxins" but I really have a hard time with my legs if I can't soak in a hot tub or bath after my cardio.
Any personal experiences or preferences?
 Mae B
Msg: 2
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 4/22/2008 8:23:37 PM
What it is I'm told that gives me the lovely full body rash from the neck down is Bromine.
I can be in chlorine pools, and have been in other hot tubs before at our timeshare in Florida, as well as backyard hot tubs of friends.
I had wrong assumed that because the YMCA was such a high traffic area they would use chlorine instead of bromine in their hot tub. My father had this sensitivity and my son does as well, which is absolutely ridiculous because the main reason they use bromine is because people are generally LESS sensitive to it than they are to chlorine.
Thank you all for your advice.

ladymercury
Msg: 3
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 9/12/2013 7:44:58 PM
Sauna definitely promotes sweating and has been used since time immemorial for shelter and warmth from the elements, for mothers to give birth in a clean environment and for ritual. There is no better feeling than the soft wind on your skin after a sauna; it brings the body to a place of complete oneness with great spirit and soothes the hard-working mind. It is a joyous feeling.

I'm not so certain that you will have the exact same feeling as you would in a spa or hot tub, or in a sauna in the woods, but it will relax your muscles and release tension for sure.

I'd love to hear how you've done so far with the sauna.
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 9/15/2013 4:43:48 AM
Epsom salts will relax your muscles in a warm to hot bath and if you want the room *hotter* to sweat turn on a space heater or drink ginger tea.

Grated ginger tea will make you pour sweat esp if you add cayenne to it.

Exfoliate before a "sweat fest" so as not to clog your pores.

The go sit out back in a thin robe and thong to feel that cool wind afterwards.

Remember of you have certain heart/blood pressure/lung/ other medical issues a hot sauna is something to discuss with your DR.
 RenaiMan
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 11/3/2013 10:38:11 PM
Yikes, this discussion sure makes me miss my sauna! I built a nice one in 1992 and used it every other day for years. The hottest I've seen it was 200 degrees (F), but I usually enjoyed it at about 170. After 45 minutes to an hour of meditation I would leap out into the cold basement and straight into the shower while turning on the cold water. People upstairs always laughed at my screams.

But sadly, for the last 7 years my expensive sauna heater has been stored in the garage where I reside now. I'm supposed to sell it to a friend when I build his sauna someday, and I'm looking forward to getting rid of it because of the cost of electricity. I hope in the future to build a sweat lodge using a wood-burning rocket stove instead.

Yes, a sauna can be very effective for eliminating toxins. It's also a great de-stresser, and even a meditation refuge.

Gosh, I miss my sauna.
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 11/4/2013 2:40:18 AM

Yes, a sauna can be very effective for eliminating toxins.

^^^^^^Not really, you just feel better when you sweat.
Most of it is in the mind and thats good for you also, so I get it and think they are fine for most people.

BUT
All sweat contains the same ingredients( water, some sodium and chloride, and to a lesser extent, potassium). You do lose electrolytes when you sweat, and perspiration contains only TRACE amounts of any type of toxins.

If you really want to detoxify your system, you'd be better off by making sure your liver and kidneys are operating in tip top shape, since it's these key organs ........not your sweat glands that need cleansing.

If you want to lose toxins, cleanse your liver and kidneys through a proper diet and herbs that includes good fats.
Lose excess fat that can store toxins.
 DragonBits
Msg: 7
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 11/4/2013 5:18:30 AM
One bit of caution about dry saunas. (I don't think steam rooms actually get very hot.)

A year ago I spent more than an 1/2 hour in a pretty hot steam room. The coating they put on glasses, anti-reflective / anti-scratch coating, melted, ruining my glasses.

Recently, a 6 weeks ago, I leaned back against the wall of the sauna, I got a circular burn on my back likely from a metal washer.

Sometimes I see people bring in cell phones, I got to wonder how many will fail from the heat?
 April1963
Msg: 8
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 11/4/2013 7:03:07 PM

A year ago I spent more than an 1/2 hour in a pretty hot steam room. The coating they put on glasses, melted, ruining my glasses ...Recently, a 6 weeks ago, I leaned back against the wall of the sauna, I got a circular burn on my back .....Sometimes I see people bring in cell phones

Really? I meant rrreally???..lol....Man,I wonder if you ever have touched the iron with the finger When is connected to know if it is warm ,hot or cold...hehe.

Okay.On topic,

Any personal experiences or preferences?

I don't like the steam rooms,they do not make me sweat the way I like..but I love to enter the sauna when I have finished my exercises routine to sweat more and so to clean the pores of the skin.It feels good after....
 ladymercury
Msg: 9
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 11/5/2013 7:35:41 PM
There are several ways to take in the sauna and, again, it really does depend on your preference. My childhood home did not have a bath, only a sauna. We had a sauna at grandma and grandpas, at camp and on the lakeshore where the boat was kept. Saunas everywhere! Yes, eventually we did get a shower and bath.

Some of the features of a sauna are the benches (lauteet), stove with rocks (kiuas - dense, igneous rock works best), wood (generally birch but any good, dry wood will do) and löyly (very difficult to translate but commonly understood as steam). In some cases fresh birch leaves are formed into a whisk (vihta or vasta) and gently beaten on the skin to promote blood circulation. The whisk is dampened with water and sometimes on the heated rocks to make the sauna more aromatic. The whisk will last for a long time if hung upside down on the sauna wall and dampened before and after each use.

Swimming, dunking in the ice or rolling in the snow form part of the sauna routine if in nature. Wonderfully refreshing. At times sausages (makkara) are placed in foil on the rocks to cook while enjoying the sauna. Once all is said and done the sausages are eaten with a cold, refreshing beer. Look up to the sky and admire the great spirit. Breathe in, breathe out.

End with the best sleep ever.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 10
Steam room & Sauna
Posted: 11/9/2013 5:17:17 PM
In my experience, the steam room or sauna do not replace the relax of the hot tub at the end of a work out. I have, however, learned to adapt, the Y is too far from where I now live so I go to a local gym that does not have a hot tub. I Shower there when I am done and come home and soak in a hot bath. As good as the hot tub? Nope but better than the steam room or sauna.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Steam room & Sauna