Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Welfare recipients with money to burn!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 3
Welfare recipients with money to burn!Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

So what your saying here is that people that are down and out for whatever reason, (some are very sincere short term reasons I might add) are no longer entitled to make choices about their lives, like they don't matter. Only those of us that earn a living are entitled to be treated like human beings and there for are entitled under the Charter to make personal decisions....

He may not be,,,but I WILL. There has to be a time when certain types of people MUST be accountable for their actions. There are certain people out there that have proven time and time again that they obviously CAN'T make the correct choices on their own. Do YOU expect ME to keep feeding these people a monthly cheque and have them NOT be accountable?????

And no, we are not talking about people with "sincere" reasons who have come about some short term problems. I believe Tyeee is pointing to the "lifers". You know,,,the ones that are ALWAYS in the lineup every last Wednsday of the month for YEARS.

And what type of "humans" should we be treated them like. Should we treat them like we treat the majority who get up every morning, head to work, bust their bums, bring home their paycheque,make ends meet and maybe get to go "out" to dinner for one evening a month??????? Or should we treat them like "humans" who have no problem holding their hand out, day in, day out, asking, requesting, EXPECTING help, time and time again.

Yeppers, pisses me off to watch that liquor store busier than any other day of the month on those Wednedays. Actually, pisses me off to no end,,,,,especially in these times here in BC.
 Xavery
Msg: 6
Welfare recipients with money to burn!
Posted: 4/22/2008 7:47:04 PM
Here we go again. Walts - most people don't choose to be on welfare. The humane thing to do is help them out. Yes, a few people scam the system, but why punish the majority for the minority?
 silibus
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/22/2008 8:21:38 PM
Hey Tyee, if you think that is bad try this on for size: In Canada a refugee can get from our government almost $2400/month at the same time as an old age pensioner who has worked hard all of their life and whos taxes built this country gets a maximum of
$1024/month. Won't that have you smiling when you cash your pension cheque and you are eating food made from 'who-knows-what' simly because your politicians are in bed with Big Business. I know I am not going to like it. By the time I get to retire I expect to be paying my taxes openly to some corporation and not my government.
(as though there is any difference already)
 bcboy72
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2008 9:17:49 PM
May have to go pick up a cheque just to piss some people off

You won't find your cheque..hid it under your work boots Gon.

And yes, I agree with the majority here, they need to be accountable for the dollars we give them...
It is my firm belief that the "willing and able to get a job" people on the welfare system should be made to report the welfare or city office every morning (mon-fri) at 9 A.M. to see if there are any odd jobs the city/town needs done. IE: garbage pick up, grass cutting, garden tending....etc..maybe some help for the local elderly? See how long it takes for the majority of them to find a real job. You miss a day of checking in, you miss a days pay. Pretty simple.

-edit.."willing" might be a bad term to use..lol
 Merrylass
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2008 9:48:28 PM
Well, then, let's have a 'sainthood test', shall we, for everyone who applies for welfare. Because of course, they've likely been brought up in the best of circumstances, are completely healthy, and are fully emotionally capable of making the best choices for themselves in all circumstances.

Now which one of the people wanting these people to be sterling human beings is willing to step up and offer themselves as examples of the epitome of perfection to be emulated?
 punem264
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/22/2008 9:54:30 PM
One of my ex friend's is on welfare she would rather sit on her duff, smoking and drinking coffee all day. A single mother she was, she was offered help (but refused it) when her son was growing up. So her father matched her income probably still doing it dollar for dollar. Earning $2, 000 a month. The son is all grown up now, Probably supporting her.
 brawcoaly
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/22/2008 10:41:25 PM
And here I work 2 jobs, sometimes three just to stay caught up with my mortgage, various insurances, car payments, student loan payments, food, utilities, taxes etc...the list goes on for all of us.

I like BC boys idea - make them report for work to get paid. That's how it works for the rest of us! I have no problem with people working for their money. I do have a problem with people injecting my hard earned cash into their arms.
 Celticlass2
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/22/2008 10:46:12 PM
Yah...I think the idea of people reporting to work for getting a cheque. But...how about rather than getting people to pick up garbage or other dead end jobs so that we can still know who the people on welfare are as we drive by them on the way to our better paying jobs, maybe our system should be looking at making upgrading and training for better jobs more accessible. Make sure that we also pay benefits ( holiday pay, dental, extended health) while they are doing these jobs so that it makes it worthwhile for them to continue since they may never be able to enjoy the same standard of living as you.

Also, who would be looking after the kids while Mom reports to her job shoveling snow or other things? Please don't forget that looking after kids is "real work" and that in our system, women don't get paid for being at home looking after the kids. I would much rather that my taxes go to paying for women to stay home with their preschool kids (especially single Mom's) rather than the kids having to be gotten up and taken to daycare when they are not well just 'cause Mom can't miss a day of pay at her low paying job that doesn't provide any benefits making it impossible for her stay and work at home taking care of the kids.
 Freely Fancy
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/22/2008 11:12:17 PM
Let me share a deeply personal story: Years ago I used to pass welfare recipients lounging in the sunshine as I commuted to work. Yup, I did feel a tad resentful & judgemental at the time. However, much to my mortification/chagrin some years later I found myself in difficult circumstances which led to my applying for the pittance that is welfare. A humiliating & ghastly experience. Blech!
Putting my baby in his stroller I walked 2+ miles to drop him off at daycare prior to heading to work, reversing the entire process at the end of my working day. Why? Because I wanted more for myself & my children. Eventually I did get off that degrading system - tricky - & bought a home for my family.
There are several things I need to express:
1. I always felt truly GRATEFUL that welfare existed to help me get re-started.
2. I am proud of who I am & no longer feel any shame whatsoever about having been a welfare recipient; hence, I am quite happy to be having some of my income tax diverted to those in need.
3. Things are not always as they seem. I kid you not. Ha!
4. To any here who have expressed negative attitudes/opinions about people who collect let me first of all say A SINCERE THANKS 'cos without assistance at that time....??? Shudder,
AND, "Let he who is without sin cast the first st0ne" works for me! How about "Judge not lest ye be judged?" Let's not forget about walking in another's moccasins.... I could go on but I expect y'all get my drift.
Sorry for the length of my response.
Sincerely, Penelope
p.s. I assure you that I never had "money to burn." CHEERS!
 WesternRose
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/22/2008 11:16:18 PM
It blows me away to see the 'stuff' that pple on welfare have...seriously.
My sister refused to work after her fled her abusive husband....she had a lot of healing to do... on herself...the therapy for the kids was electronics... they had the best of the best toys...she continued not to seek work after her children were old enough to attend school...this confounds me.

As for the Call Display...well...again..the sister....she was raped a few years back...and she was given a cell phone and call display as a safety thing...it was a small town and her attacker lived in the same town.... so.. Call Display well...could be a safety feature.

Me?... I am not on gov't assistance... I do work part time, my kids are very young still... making moves to find full time work and affordable childcare.... I make do with what I have.

People need to discern the difference between their NEEDS and our WANTS.
Think about that.
 Walts
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/23/2008 4:18:27 AM
Here we go again. Walts - most people don't choose to be on welfare. The humane thing to do is help them out. Yes, a few people scam the system, but why punish the majority for the minority?

ACCOUNTABILITY is NOT a punishment!!!!!! Having it,,,,which less and less are doing nowadays, is actually a good thing. When you, as person are accountable for your own actions, you start to learn to become a person who is beneficial to our society. And is that not what we,as a society are trying to do for the people on this system?????? Well,,,,isn't it???

Or,,,are we just handing out cheques to appease these people that "have come upon hard times"????? You know,,,to "keep them outta of hair"...or is it that some of us can go to sleep at night not feeling guilty about others, thinking in the back of our heads that we "are doing something,at least".

My suggestion is that yes, it is a great idea(in theory) to help our fellow humans, but I don't believe the way things are now, or before, do anyone,,,,,any GOOD at all. "Handouts" of any kind do not, repeat, do NOT do anything for anyone except for the "present moment". That is all well and fine when it is only a short term problem,,,,thou we are not talking "short term" for many are we???

What you do generate with the system that we have today is people that DEPENDANT on our goverment, us, others, etc to "help" them. It creates someone who is more and more dependant,,,instead of what we really want them to be,,,INDEPENDANT!!!!! All you have to do is look down south during the New Orleans' disaster for an example. The yanks created a society there which was very DEPENDANT on the goverment for help. And when a really big problem came around,,,,,there these people are waiting for "help" from the same people that have helped them all the time before,,,,,yet it never came for many until too late.

Now,,,,,do you blame the people that are "waiting" or "expecting" that help,,,,,because it was always there before,,,,,or do you blame the people that were doing the "helping" and in a true time of need , decided there were others first that need that "help"??????

To the people, which I call fondly, "bleeding hearts" , decide to back up a system of "help", maybe you should really question of how much "help" are you really doing????? Ever hear the saying "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a DAY.Teach a man to fish, you feed him for LIFE." ?????

Personally, I think the system SUCKS. If you have a problem with THAT statement, get in line, get a number, and then get in the other long line. Sooner or later ya can biatch at me.
 Merrylass
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:30:03 AM
The users and the lazy, "I want it all for free while I do nothing" types are the ones we are talking about.

Um. No. Wrongo. Try rereading the OP. It's a rant about how 'people on welfare' spend their money, period. No distinction was made about whether they 'deserve' welfare or not. Just to remind you, here's the OP's question:

Should welfare recipients have the choice to spend tax payer money on what appear to be non-essential things that others cannot justify spending the money on?

Now, would you care to rescind your rant at me?
 Celticlass2
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:50:25 AM
Conrats for being "been there, done that" and getting your "butt outta there" Panther !!! You are such a prime example of how our system works...but I'd recommend losing the judgmental attitude. It's great that we have a system in place for if we ever lose our jobs, become disabled etc. But for the grace of God go I. You're wrong about the free dental coverage as well and presccriptions are covered under Fair Pharmacare now which everyone registers for regardless of their being on assistance or not.
 jetty65
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/23/2008 10:47:10 AM
Should it go to the US system of food stamps?

I know many welfare recipients are also working "under the table" and are renting out rooms in their rented house(not claiming this money of course), this is wrong and not what the welfare system was meant for.

In our present economy there are lots of jobs out there, really few people need to be on welfare. You can raise two kids on minimum wage. I did it. Well 9 per hour but close enough. I did not have a car I walked to work. The kids were with me 60% of the time . I did have cable TV(no internet), Cell phone(no landline) was able to pay my rent, cable , cell phone bill and Hydro bill every month. And my kids were fed.

People deem necessities are not really necessary at all. Welfare is intended to get people back on their feet if something happens that knocks you off them. Its not supposed to be a career.
 jetty65
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/23/2008 12:02:01 PM

Sure some did.. but I kinda got why they didn't disclose income. We took every damn dollar they made

while I agree that they should get some benefit from making an effort, they should be able to keep some or have it accounted some how . There are some that actually make substantial amounts under the table or renting out their extra rooms, some even making more then a middle income person. These are the ones that bother me.

"Socially Unemployable".
its my understanding that these people do receive a larger assistance

There are lots of reasons for people on assistance and I don't think the OP is intending that welfare be abolished by any means,

Emphasis should go on more social housing, frankly I would love to see a welfare system where a home is provided and the rent is deducted from their cheque , this will avoid homeowners from getting stiffed on their rent, I know of several people who spend their lives moving because they are always getting kicked out, cigarettes and beer and pot were more important then paying the rent. This creates a horrible situation for any kids having to always move. If these people are stabilised it will make a big difference.

The single mothers and single dads out their, their biggest problem in rejoining the workforce is child care, where there are day care centers available, finding over night care for those whose careers require them to work these shifts is near impossible.

I know of families that have kids that are unemployable or just unemployed living at home, but once they reach 19 they are no longer a tax deduction, so the parents have to foot the bill for their kids or they get put on the welfare roll.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/23/2008 12:32:45 PM
Quite the touchy subject there OP... WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a hard time formulating an opinion on this subject as it is what it is.
Abuses exist in all facets of life and any system will have it's success's and failures.
I think we tend to forget that some of our poorest still exist at a substantially better level than others in other countries.

If you can work and get paid, then it's quite simple, go to work.
If your ex is a deadbeat and you chose to have 6 children with them, go to work MORE.
If you are unable to go to work, then in a way I guess you are lucky because everyone that is working pays into a system that helps you (be it enough or not.. I would say that something beats nothing all the time).

For me personally, if I have built my life to a point where I can **** about my car payments, then I can **** about my car payments.... I won't because I do appreciate that I have a car, but I will if I am getting screwed on the interest

Not a Communist myself so if you don't get what I get, that's your f-in problem, DO something about it... Thats whats cool about our system, there is opportunity if you want to go after it.
 bcboy72
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 2:46:06 PM
As Walts said, it is all about accountability. I am sure, or would like to think, anyone receiving the benefits, and using them legitimately(and lots do so), would be happy to be accountable for the free money they are receiving. It is the people abusing the system that the majority of posts are directed at.

If anyone is truly ready/willing/able to work, they can find a job.

Quit picking at the OP for the topic, that is my job.
 Xavery
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/23/2008 4:29:49 PM
^ agreed...few people in this forum could survive a day or my on the streets....including myself....so stop the BS people, and give the homeless a break. You act like it a choice. Who would choose that kind of lifestyle? I dont see any teens sitting in school aspiring to be street people.

I have heard it said that many people are just a few pay cheques away from welfare. Think about it.
 jetty65
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:00:32 PM

well if I ever end up on it I would probably become a street person ,and a thief ,and turn to booze and drugs or anything i could get my hands on to get through the depressing day..just get wasted ..why not ? I would be to broke to get a job or live anywhere .

We all make choices in our lives and some people make bad ones. I have collected welfare , very briefly and once received a food voucher. I was very gratefull for the help. Did I get all depressed and go on drugs and booze and live out in the streets? No, just kept my head and realized things will get better and they did.

Its not the governments job to provide drugs and booze for people, but it is the governments job to provide centers to help drug addicts and alcoholics, retraining centers , relocation money , social housing and help people that are down on their luck. Many schools have a hot lunch program , some even have a breakfast, these are very valuable assistance programs that need attention.

Why are disabled peole collecting welfare, shouldn't they be collecting a disability pension totally separate from welfare.

Another poster made the point that are poorest of Canadians are far better off then many other people in other countries. For this we should all be grateful.
 bcboy72
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:13:57 PM

And one things for goddamn certain, I am tired of those close minded people that offer advise to a situation they themselves have never personally experienced first hand.

Get the fvck off that soap-box and walk a mile in some-one elses shoes before you pass judgment on the entirety of their lives.

Wore the shoes for quite a few miles...got a job, and gave back the shoes. Never smoked then either. Watched many people like the lifestyle free money (even the minimal amount of a single male) offered..and never leave it. They had choices.

if I ever had to go on welfare

So, "mr. holier than thou.." if you haven't been there..you are commenting why?
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:43:47 PM
While I think the welfare program is necessary for many, I have had close acquaintances abuse the system & I do take issue with that. Regarding the dietary allowances, I knew someone who went vegan in order to lose weight about 10 years ago. But instead of buying fresh produce & cooking her meals, she claimed the additional allowance for her 'special diet' to purchase ready-to-eat vegetarian foods so she wouldn't have to cook. I was under the impression that this added dietary allowance existed only for those who had certain illnesses or were terminally ill.

She lost a ton of weight & complained to me that her breasts had become saggy. When I saw her several years ago, she flashed her breasts at me & said "Look what I got!". She had undergone a breast reduction & lift & said that welfare paid for the cosmetic surgery because she told them she couldn't work due to the back & neck pain from having large breasts. In confidence, she admitted that she just wanted them to look perky to fit with her new trimmer figure. She hadn't worked a day in at least 8 years prior to her surgery & she has only recently taken on a job cleaning someone's house 2 hours per week. She lives alone in a 2-bedroom subsidized apartment & still remains on welfare even though she is capable of working regular hours. I must admit that I was irate when I discovered that welfare was forking out money for recipients to have non-urgent cosmetic surgery.

I also knew a young gal in her early 20's who lived on welfare & collected child subsidy for her two children who were in my daycare so she could go back to school. She slept in every day, brought her kids to me close to noon for a few hours & only went into school when she felt like it. She was later hired by the Bay but never showed up for the 2-day training session. When I questioned this, she said there was no point to her working because she could stay home & collect $1,200 per month from welfare which was play money for her because her live-in boyfriend was making $26 per hour in his full-time job & he was paying all their household bills. Welfare didn't know about her boyfriend & was therefore paying for this 'single mom' & two kids to 'rent' their 3-bedroom rancher. I am all for having able-bodied welfare recipients report for work early every morning & take any job they're able to do.
 Walts
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:26:41 PM
Some of you should read what you are writing cause it's freaking hilarious.

Scarey,,,but still freaking hilarious.

I'm starting to become a bigger and bigger Darwin fan every day I live.
 Walts
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:43:44 PM

What are you saying Walts???

Just a sec,,,,,,

nope, never read THUMPER in my post. Actually never read a name at all. I did read "some",,,,,and I am still scared.

What I DO know THUMPER is I DON'T know it all. As you, I know cheaters, yet along with it I also know a few that do NEED welfare for a period of time. The crap that is flying around on this topic, is just that crap. That goes for both the pro and the con comments. I could go and pick apart quit a few posts, but personally why would I????? I know it would be lost on those that typed those posts. Kinda funny huh????

And not the "ha ha" funny either.
 Celticlass2
Msg: 52
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:04:15 PM
We're forgetting though that the biggest "welfare bums" are those that are able to avoid taxes because they are able to find loopholes and save $$$ because they've got it to play with. The truth is that most of the wealth in Canada is controlled by less than 10% of the people. Is the alleged scamming by people who are at the bottom end of the income scale, such a crime in the whole scheme of things?
 johnny7103
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:04:41 PM

well if I ever end up on it I would probably become a street person ,and a thief ,and turn to booze and drugs or anything i could get my hands on to get through the depressing day..just get wasted ..why not ? I would be to broke to get a job or live anywhere .

hey people on welfare have to be perfect human beings they are ours to mould.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Welfare recipients with money to burn!