Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Current good reads....bestsellers or obscure titles?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 1
Current good reads....bestsellers or obscure titles?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Okay, lyrical dared me to start this thread and i'm never one to not meet a direct dare!

several threads have discussed various books to understand some of the current events, media, politics, economics, etc being discussed on a daily basis.

i'm just wondering what reading material people are picking up these days to get their "current events" fix? and what are the best reads you've come across that you can share with those of us who would like to keep up with the current events threads that keep popping up?

please try to keep your suggestions topical to the threads presented on the current events section. can be fiction or non-fiction. also, please please do not present lists of titles of just the iraq/bush topics. books about those topics are fine but let's not make it exclusively about that.

thanks to all who post!
 GenJackRipper
Msg: 2
Current good reads....bestsellers or obscure titles?
Posted: 6/1/2005 2:23:50 PM
Confessions of an Economic Hitman
 Willy D Style
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/1/2005 2:59:09 PM
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Biting political commentary in a SF setting. Does a good job of describing our current military and society to an extent.

Lies My Teacher Told Me. Can't remember the author, but it's a great book on how history is being distorted in the US classroom.
 shannanigan
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/1/2005 8:02:20 PM
I'm afraid the only books I've read lately are the Series of Unfortunate Events
and The World of Suzie Wong by Richard Mason. (which was interesting
after my trip to Hong Kong)

Not very current event oriented....
 robertpaulson
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/1/2005 9:03:53 PM
Robert Kaplans Books "Warrior Politics", "The Coming Anarchy" and "Balkan Ghosts".
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/2/2005 10:13:53 AM
omigosh! how have i gone through life not having read these titles? i am a voracious reader (or thought so) and i've only come across 2 titles that i've actually read. i am going to have a very busy summer!

keep up the good work please.....and if possible...could you add a bit about what the book is about? sometimes the titles don't give an indication? thanks!
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/3/2005 9:26:27 AM
thanks lyrical. i'm going to have to check that out in my local lib.

my reading taste of choice for current events is the economist but haven't subscribed this past year given a relocation, death in the fam, and just overall craziness with moves and such. however, i will be subscribing yet again as soon as i move to my new house.

i will admit that i often find that i don't have a good enough knowledge base for some of the countries political/economic goings on discussed in the economist to really understand some of the complexities of the issues. reading some of the titles listed here may help me with that. i hope it's a good source for others to pick up some good titles to read, too!
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/3/2005 11:51:48 AM
trewq - i've actually read the emperor's new clothes...and i read some essays by patrick moore (one of the founders of greenpeace who now works in the forest industry) and he has written some interesting things about hemp, too...

for instance, to grow the equivalent volume of hemp to make the amount of paper that we currently make from wood fibre would require far more arable land than makes environmental and economic sense. it's actually more environmentally friendly to use wood fibre than hemp fibre to make paper. (at least as we currently use now). check out his web site for more info.

hemp does have its uses but to consider it the renewable resource touted in herer's book doesn't seem to make all that much sense. wood is actually a better renewable resource when used in the right way and managed sustainably. of course, there are other fuel sources - ie. solar energy is way more efficient that wind, etc. i've had some of this info corroborated by scientists working on alternative energy sources and other authors.

herer's was a good read, though and eye opening about some things.....i just like to question everything i read (perhaps, too much so!)

will definitely have to check out the creation of world poverty. i am incredibly interested in the IMF and world bank...their creation, the principles they use to govern their economic policy, history, and overall impact on the global world as we know it.
 Coati
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/4/2005 4:11:45 PM
How about "It'll Never Happen Here" by Sinclair Lewis.

Old book, written in the thirties. About the rise of a fascist power in the States. I found it to be pretty chilling, actually...
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/6/2005 10:59:50 AM
majmike - thanks for the list. definitely will add to my reading list...

aloy - will look those authors up. some of the most amazing reads about contemporary "history" is well researched fiction. so it's all good...

lyrical - a picture! your face is as lovely as the poster you are! it's nice to put a face to the person i've admired for so long...

coati - you're back! wondered where you went off to. where do i know sinclair lewis from? will have to look him up - i'm sure i've read some of his stuff although i'm not particularly familiar with the title you recommended.

for what it's worth...i'd like to add an author who may be a little dated but he's amazing! he connects historical events - science, politics, economics, religion, literature, art...everything and comes up with how all of those things have led us to where we are now.

His name is james burke - and he's done lots of things for the bbc. a couple of his books include "the day the universe changed" and "connections". he has always struck me as a truly renaissance man.

and it goes without saying (if you've read my profile) that i think machiavelli's the prince is a must read. you can still see today's political machinations in what machiavelli wrote nearly 500 years ago.
 Frrosty
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/6/2005 11:17:51 AM
Anyone read "Shake Hands With the Devil" by Romeo D'allaire at yet?

That will be my next real read.

I am wondering if it is "breaktime" reads, the type of book I wil wish to research while I read, or the type of book which I will stick to the whole damned weekned until it is done.

Feel free to tell me in my personal mail if needed too.

Thank.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/7/2005 11:39:24 AM
I've read Guns, Germs and Steel - great book definitely worht reading. And King Leopold's Ghosts - all about the Belgian Congo and the horrors of colonialism in Africa.
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/9/2005 1:40:47 PM
here's a few more to consider:

noam chomsky - hegemony or survival?
he takes critical look at american foreign policy specifically as it relates to the war on terrorism. interesting arguments and will lead you to want to read more on the subject. he suggests some other books to read as well...(which i haven't gotten to, yet!)

natan sharansky (sp?) case for democracy: the power of freedom to overcome tyranny
interesting perspective on democracy and global governance...

john perkins - confessions of an economic hitman
some may say it's fiction but i think it has a liberal sprinkling of non-fiction. it's a quick read, not great literature, but fascinating look at how corrupt american corporations/gov't really are and the impacts in how the us big business deals with foreign affairs.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Current good reads....bestsellers or obscure titles?