Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Need recipe - low sugar or sugarless jam      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LanSir
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Need recipe - low sugar or sugarless jamPage 1 of 1    
Try using a combination of unflavored gelatin and corn starch, or one of the two (depending on how firm you want it to turn out), or Google "sugar free jams and jellies recipes". Cooks.com usually has all kinds of recipes, and I found this page with a few more pages that follow it:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,sugar_free_jam,FF.html

Good luck
 floridianfun
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Need recipe - low sugar or sugarless jam
Posted: 5/5/2008 6:19:25 PM
If you take apple juice, and simmer it until it is reduced down to a quater of its original volume, this should be a really good sweetner without adding anything else
 Scorpianfish
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2009 12:10:04 PM
Just wanted to drop a line thanking you folks for the info on sugar free jam recipe's. This year I am going to can/jar some produce and make some jams. And yes Spleende and htose other chemical sweetners are not good for you.

Thanks again
 Belle Requin
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/29/2009 1:37:59 PM
Adding apple juice instead of "sugar" is not going to help a diabetic much. The sugar content is still going to be incredibly high.

That being said, I've recently switched to using xylitol in most of my baking, and it is diabetic friendly (more so than agave nectar, which while being better than "sugar" for diabetics, can still increase insulin). I've subbed it straight for sugar a few times, with stellar results (cheesecake, whipping cream, nut torte, icing) and the package said great for jams.

Use your normal recipe, but sub xylitol for sugar.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 5:58:53 PM
Has anyone tried any of this new Stevia product? If it can be used like sugar..you should be able to make a freezer jam very easily with it. We've already used half and half sugar and Splenda in some strawberry freezer jam..and you could hardly tell the difference.
 roxanne1652
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2011 3:06:57 AM
Oh, my! It's been awhile since I've weighed in on anything . . . .

I recently bought a canning book, "Put 'Em Up!" and the only pectin called for in the recipes was Pomona's Universal Pectin.

Being me (can I hire someone for that job?), I googled and ended up buying a package for under $2. OK, yeah, I bought 8. Takes some research to get it at that price, though (not sure if I'm allowed to share that information).

Anyway, it approaches the gelling thing in a whole different way . . . there is an envelope of calcium powder that you dissolve in water and another envelope of pectin powder . . . I would welcome some scientist to explain how it works.

ANYWAY!!! My point being . . . apparently it sets jellies and jams up without sugar being a consideration. The instructions give one leeway to use honey, artificial sweteners or sugar to taste .

Truly! I would like some scientific input!

Thus far, I have made strawberry jam, creamsicle jelly (not a fan favorite) and carrot cake jam (the jury's still out on that one) using the Pomona's and still haven't used up the contents of the first box I have tried. They say that there isn't any expiration date and it lasts forever.

Honestly, I am not trying to sell this stuff because I don't know if the jam lasts for any length of time without all of the sugar I've normally used, but everything seems to have gelled OK with minimal sugar.

I would welcome any input from anyone who has used this stuff, because I had never heard of it before I bought the book . . . oh, heck, I never understood how the regular pectin worked (AND, for the record, the regular (EXPENSIVE) pectin wasn't all that, anyway!).

Jam fans?

Rx
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Need recipe - low sugar or sugarless jam