Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Monkey Shirt Racist? Thread Closed      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ezzee
Msg: 1
Monkey Shirt Racist? Thread ClosedPage 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Well, here we go again. As if we needed more calls of racism agaainst Barrack Hussein Obama, we've got more of them coming out.

Bar Owner's T-Shirt Offends Obama Faithful

* Read Comments
* Print Article
* Email Article
* Larger
* Smaller
Updated 18 hrs ago

Advertisement
Posted By: Michael King
Reported By: Jennifer Leslie

MARIETTA, Ga. -- A Cobb County restaurant with a history of raising eyebrows is at it again. The owner of Mulligan's Bar and Grill in Marietta is accused of waging a campaign of racism against Democratic presidential front-runner Barack Obama.

This controversy is about a t-shirt for sale that compares Obama to cartoon character Curious George.

Bar owner Mike Norman, has a history of being politically incorrect. Protesters on Tuesday said Norman has gone too far this time.

After marching out front, protesters confronted Norman and asked him to stop selling his t-shirts.

Norman said he is surprised the shirts have drawn so much attention, since he said he finds nothing wrong with using the image of Curious George.

"I saw the cartoon on TV, and I looked, and this was the ears and the hairline, and the big smile, and Obama has all three," Norman said.

But the comparison was so offensive to several civil rights leaders that they organized a protest.

"A monkey eating a banana -- that's a historical stereotype of how African Americans have been depicted on a number of occasions," said Rev. Dwight Graves of the SCLC.

Norman's customers came to his defense. They are used to seeing provocative messages on the sign out front -- some of which target illegal immigrants.

"We don't need these things to happen any more," said Adelina Nicholls of the Latino Alliance for Human Rights. "Not with Latinos, not with African Americans, not with any kind of immigrants."

"There is a contingent of folks, red, yellow, white and black, that walk around wanting a reason to be mad, to get their feelings hurt," Norman said. "If I did that, I'm sorry."

Norman said he has sold out of his stack of 50 t-shirts. He was planning to donate the money from the shirts to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. But MDA officials said they do not want Norman's money. They said that their attorneys were drawing up a letter asking him to stop using the name of the MDA in connection with sales of the shirts.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=115877&catid=3

Come on now, seriously? Can't we have some good fun here? It's kind of funny, and well, it makes a statement too. There is nothing racist about this in my opinion. It's just poking fun at a public official and using his freedom of speech to make a statement. Talk about ridiculous.
 Ezzee
Msg: 3
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 3:43:17 PM
Trust me, I read the entire article, and I think it is completely ridiculous. I understand the entire idea and I've worked closely with many people who are diverse, so I know a thing or two about racism and discrimination. Personally, I don't think this is racist, I think this is all in good fun, I do think that there is a long history of people being extremely thin skinned. Even people in my own group of people who are traditionally discriminated against I feel go too far in this kind of activism. There is a point where you have to choose your battles, and I think this is one of the battles that the supporters of Barrack Hussein Obama and other should choose to not take up because it is ridiculous.

I'm fearful of the day that any word we utter has some stigma of discrimination. It doesn't seem too far away.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 4
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 3:52:38 PM
maybe if the owner was black...................................?
 Soul Union
Msg: 5
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 4:26:43 PM

Trust me, I read the entire article, and I think it is completely ridiculous. - ezzee

> Barack Hussein Obama and his followers and hangers-on must be getting desperate. If this is racist, imagine what will happen if he gets into power.
> Best wishes - Soul Union.
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 4:44:12 PM
Amazing that people can be deluded enough to interpret a cartoon picture of a monkey depicting a black man as not being racist.

Of course, these people can fool themselves into thinking global warming is a myth, that two of eash animal were once on a boat, that all the languages came from the tower of babble, and other such nonsense.

Just exercising my freedom of speech to say that you're lying to yourself if you feel this isn't racist.
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 4:56:53 PM
Thanks for missing the point which is... People can lie to themselves.

Sure it's a racist shirt. The uncaring, selfish ones here have made excuses that it's not. This t shirt is reminiscent of Jim Crow era mentality. Which I had assumed we'd evolved out of such a barbaric mindset. Apparently not.
 Ezzee
Msg: 8
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 5:11:58 PM

What's not to get? Ummmm....since when have Caucasians been historically depicted in a derogatory manner as monkeys??! Your arguments are invalid.

Actually, miniwheat, I guess I can spell it out for you, but it is not something I normally share, so you should feel privileged. That and maybe your assumptions will stop. I am actually comparing myself and placing myself into the group as a person with a disability. And we are traditionally discriminated against. In fact, we are still one of the most discriminated against groups on the planet.

Wow I am truly amazed that some people on here really don't get it. The monkey shirt is a racist act. Furthermore just because we have the right to speech doesn't mean that they we should say whatever comes to our mind. Have some self respect not only for yourself but others too.

I have plenty of self respect. I can't have self-respect for others though. That would be impossible. That's like telling me to masturbate so someone else can have an orgasm. Just isn't possible.

However, I'm assuming your saying we should have respect for others, which I have no problem with. Part of the reason I don't listen to much of todays music. I've got better things to do then listen to black people call each other the n-word, listen to anyone turn females into sex objects or call them the b-word and the w-word, including female artists themselves. and just make a total mockery of just about everything.

But that doesn't mean that I have to protest everything. Tell me, how many people like the movie Forrest Gump? If you did, I call you discriminatory against people with disabilities as that portrayed people with disabilities in an unrealistic aspect. The aspect often called a Super cripple.

How many people liked Million Dollar Baby? If you did, I again call you discriminatory against people with disabilities. As she laid in that bed and decided "I want to kill myself." she is being portrayed as useless and not wanting to be a burden, an aspect that is called a Good Cripple.

How many people out there liked the movie Peter Pan? You did? Guess what, your discriminatory against people with disabilities. Captain Hook portrayal of hating people and wanting to do away with people is the final aspect of how people with disabilities are portrayed. It's called the Evil Cripple.

In fact, according to research and media portrayals, by me just bringing up any of these aspects, I am considered an Evil Cripple because I am going against the grain.

But I choose not to say anything against these because I think there are better things I can use my energy on, and I also think that at some point you have to say ok, fine. I may not like them. But I'm not going to stand in someone else's way and prevent their first amendment to say and do what they would like to do. I realize that this is in fun, nd this is to make a point. It's not calling him the N-word. It's saying that I disagree with him and I think his views are like a trained monkey.

Gain some thick skin here people. It isn't a big deal. If you are calling this racist, then I would hope you are also calling the professional sports teams, at least in the USA, racist for their use of Native American logos and nicknames.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 9
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 5:17:08 PM

Freedom of speech is a right! Not a privilege! Are we supposed to compromise our rights because someone reasons negatively? No one should dictate boundaries for freedom of speech.

I absolutely agree with this and the rationale is simple. If freedom of speech isn't protected, those who would otherwise be continually oppressed through harrassment and discrimination would never have a chance to voice draw attention to their predicament.

Freedom of association is also a right, which means I am free to shun anyone who gives voice to the opinion that other human beings are lesser than they--especially on the basis of race.

Providing aid and comfort to racists is, to me, a betrayal of the principles that America stands for. I don't see anything cute or funny about it.

So yes, the idiot who's doing that has a right to say whatever he wants. However, he is not entitled to any further attention from me.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 6:10:04 PM
I haven't seen the images but, I doubt it was actually racist.
Hell have you seen the comparison photo's of GWB and a common chimp? Deadringers

This guy used a copy-righted image though, so the current administration should smoke him legally under the intellectual property laws they've championed
 EpisodeIV
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 6:43:32 PM
So the depiction on the shirt may be racist. A little or a lot. If I saw it I may get a chuckle out of it or maybe not. Don't know. But I do know that as long as people insist it is something to be offended about and continue to jump at practically any chance to get offended and/or upset those items will maintain their power.

Whatever "Side A" does, "Side B" must decide if they wish to be offended by it... or not. Likewise for what "Side B" does. "Side A" must then make a choice. That goes equally for "Sides" C, D, E... X, Y, and Z. And if one "Side" gets offended, then other sides must decide if they want to get offended as well. But it all comes down to giving power over to the offensive "Side" to continue to offend. If they really want to evolve then the offended side will stop giving the power to offend to the offenders. The often or constantly offended will stop reinforcing the action of the offenders with their reaction and the offensive behavior will eventually be extinguished. The same behavior will no longer have the desired effect or get the hoped for reaction if the goal is to be offensive.

I believe we've pretty much played all the race cards out of the deck. It's time to continue our evolution and mature beyond being so easily offended. I think Mr. Obama provides a prime example. He seems to be the last to be offended by such things. He is evolved and mature enough to not so easily give that power over to anyone and everyone who wishes to stick a burr under his saddle. That is one of the reasons I'm for Barrack Obama, Barrack H. Obama, Barrack Hussein Obama, Mr. Obama to be our next president. We need a leader like that. I am certain he will not think any of us to be unpatriotic to disagree with nor make fun of him in virtually anyway. I seriously doubt he will be easily offended by much of anything. We need a leader like that. Someone who can and more hopefully will continue to listen to what "We the People..." think about what our government, that was designed to be serving us the people as a whole to begin with, needs to do to facilitate our pursuit of happiness and reasonable security. And by not being so easily offended himself, he is likely to be less offensive to others around the world.

If anyone or anything has a cause to be offended perhaps it should be the monkey. Being compared to a bunch of humans who should know and act better than they do is unfair to the monkey and others in the ape families. I don't even call my ex a beech because I feel it is an unjust put down to dogs. But even if I did call her that I know not one dog who would be offended. We still have a lot to learn from the other animals in the kingdom.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 6:56:58 PM
To all that say the T-shirt is not racist, I dare you to don it and walk a block through Harlem.
 Ezzee
Msg: 13
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 7:00:31 PM
This coming from someone who has a sexually derogatory slur within her user name? Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't you say?
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 7:32:31 PM
Ottawa for it to be racist there must be "intent" .
That doesn't mean others may not misinterpret what statement is being made or just in general be oversensitive. But one is not responsible for anothers' perceptions now are they?
And Bush really is a deadringer for a chimp but I have yet to hear a single chimp complain about being compared to a decidedly moronic example of humanity.
 Eric2008
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 7:40:15 PM
Just because somebody says something is racist doesn't make it so msg 18.Is it because it is in print?Just because a racist southern reverend says its racist? Al Sharpton who doesn't pay his taxes?
Obama has big ears that stick out and he likes to grin.Get over it.Maybe everybody needs to get over themselves.It's a joke.Did you cry racist when Obama said his Grandmother was an ordinary white person.Do you cry racist when a black comedian talks about white stereotypes?
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 7:59:47 PM

This coming from someone who has a sexually derogatory slur within her user name? Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't you say?

Chicklet is sexually derogatory? I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out... I think.

And how about you? Besides being ezzee, are you cheap too? ;-)
 Ezzee
Msg: 17
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 8:05:30 PM

And how about you? Besides being ezzee, are you cheap too? ;-)

Only if you want me to be.

And no, Miniwheatswheatswheats, she was talking about me, and only me. If you would like to have a discussion about disability, I'd love to have one though. As I mentioned before, I could point out things that most people take for granted that are considered discriminatory.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 8:11:54 PM
Case in point

Chicklet is sexually derogatory? I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out... I think.

Here "Chicklet" is a brand of chewing gum. Maybe she meant that, or maybe a derivative of "chick", yet no matter her intent was not to marginalize on sexual grounds or to stereotype in any way I am sure........ Yet someone already has managed to take offense. The person responsible for the offense is the OFFENDED person, they are the only one able to have any control over their feeling of offense. If you can't say something because you may offend someone then no one would be able to speak at all.
 Ezzee
Msg: 19
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 8:25:15 PM
Just to clear things up, I really am not offended by it. I was just pointing it out. I actually have never heard of Chicklets gum. I guess I learn something new everyday. I was just pointing it out as one of those things that could be brought up. Hopefully no hard feelings towards tht poster.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 8:28:50 PM

Ottawa for it to be racist there must be "intent" .
That doesn't mean others may not misinterpret what statement is being made or just in general be oversensitive. But one is not responsible for anothers' perceptions now are they?
And Bush really is a deadringer for a chimp but I have yet to hear a single chimp complain about being compared to a decidedly moronic example of humanity.

Hiya, Toonz! Long time no see. :-)

You make a good point re. Bush. He certainly makes chimps look bad.
 Lario
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 8:28:57 PM

Miniwheatswheatswheats on 5/14/2008 657 PM
Subject: Monkey Shirt Racist?
Message: THANK YOU get_mad_baby....I give up on this thread, its almost as if they just skipped over my posts where I QUOTE exactly from the article why its Racist.
Here, I'll even quote myself:
What's not to get? Ummmm....since when have Caucasians been historically depicted in a derogatory manner as monkeys??! Your arguments are invalid.
Stop mentioning the George Bush cartoon, that argument is invalid.

Yes... Only Miniwheatswheats opinion counts 'round here...
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 9:02:36 PM

I hope they don't see the cartoon where Obama is dressed like a woman, or the one where he is throwing rocks at a white guy wearing an American flag on his jacket, or the one where he is in serious conversation with a jackass.

How is that racist? I don't see it.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 9:52:54 PM

since a monkey was used to describe george w. should everyone assume...

I think everybody knows G Dubya is a buffoon already.

Obama hasn't had a chance to do anything Presidentially stupid yet (nor has Hilary). Let the (wo)man make a few stupid decisions in the White House before we roast (her)him? Let (her)him prove (her)his stupidity first?
 markybolton_OP
Msg: 24
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/14/2008 10:20:12 PM
Why do you have to degrade this issue into reverse racism? Whitey??? You are white and then you turn around and speak about white in a derogatory manner expecting it to occur sympathy for whites??? Then you go off into this liberal vs conservative bs which has nothing to do with the situation??? Are you that much of an idiot???
Do you have any brains???? You know, I am an ex-veteran and a card carrying member of the ACLU who believes in the right of free speech. I do believe the bar owner has every right to publish and sell the shirt and see no harm in him doing it. I also do agree, I have seen W. Bush in animal caricatures so I feel Obama has to weather the storm. Those who give a double standard for him versus Bush are equally as much as idiot as you!
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/15/2008 3:25:08 AM

You're race horribly mistreated another race, in the lifetime of people still alive. Suck it up princess, thats the reality we live in.

To not see the extreme racism of this statement is mind boggling. One is guilty because of his RACE or what his RACE did to another RACE. Grow up and leave behind the sandbox mentality.

A PERSON ridicules another PERSON by comparing them to a monkey.
Is this racist? Not a chance, it might be rude but it is not racist. So to say it is racist only if the target of ridicule is a visible minority and the person making the comment is of any other race however is racist.
 markybolton_OP
Msg: 26
Monkey Shirt Racist?
Posted: 5/15/2008 4:42:01 AM
hEY CharlesEdm,

Maybe I am going blind and old but who is this Country_Gal youare referring too??? I don't see her in this thread? Did she delete her posting????? Would have been interesting to see you debate!
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Monkey Shirt Racist? Thread Closed