Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What makes tool boxes smell like vomit?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TradurGurl
Msg: 1
What makes tool boxes smell like vomit?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Soon after I bought my first home (years ago) I realized that I needed a lot of basic tools (hammers, screwdrives, channel locks, etc). So I bought them, plus a nice red metal tool box to put them all in.

I used the tools often, and kept them clean. But about six months after I bought it I opened the box up -- only to notice that it smelled like someone had hurled inside of it.

I asked a guy friend who was helping me at the time what the &&##??!# was up -- and he told me all tool boxes got like this. Including his own -- and it did!

Over the years, I've noticed this smell when others are using tools -- smelled the same thing. I've asked a lot of people why -- but no one seems to know And no one seems to know how to prevent the vomit odor.

Over the years, I have accumuulated even more tools, so I bought 2 more tool boxes -- this time I got the plastic ones. Still kept the tools clean -- but six months later -- smae thing!

But at least I have finally found a remedy -- potpourri sachet! (Also prevents pilferage -- since no guys want tools that smell like flower gardens!)

Anybody out there know? Why do tool boxes smell like vomit? (No wise cracks, please!)

pr0ud p4p4
Msg: 2
What makes tool boxes smell like vomit?
Posted: 5/18/2008 9:58:23 AM
never really smelled my tools. And if i am in my tools box i am generally focused on the task at hand.
 inmortalhawkes81
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:01:12 AM
my question to your question is what are you cleaning your tools with. and look thru your tool box and c if something crawled in there when you had it open and it died.
 Nicky2Tone
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:01:38 AM
Metal + Plastic + Closed Tool Box + Moisture + Grease + Rust = Weird smell.

It's that simple.
 TradurGurl
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:05:34 AM
Nicky -- thanks!
Your answer makes the most sense. No way to prevent except the sachet, Huh?

Hawk --

Nope, nothing dead in the box. Nothing in the box except tools, maybe some pipe dope, WD-40, or chalk line (still in container)

Usually tools don't get that dirty -- so I just wipe off, or rinse and dry.
Aslo, this is somewhat universal -- not just me.

Nicky2Tone
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:09:35 AM

Nicky -- thanks!
Your answer makes the most sense. No way to prevent except the sachet, Huh?

Try cedar chips, or small pieces of cedar. They have a much better scent, and actually absorb some of the odor.

The little bag of potpurri, might actually make it smell worse I'm thinking...
 The Danger Zone
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:12:50 AM
I don't run into this problem because all of my tools have assigned places on my walls.... Sockets, allen wrences, easy outs and out small tools go in wooden cabinets I have built in... Much easier to find what I want and they NEVER leave the property... Period...
 Violet Brown
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:29:27 AM
Well, I'm glad you got your answer. I'm glad you asked this too because I've often wondered myself. Stinky toolboxes are horrible!
 wannaluvjustu
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:33:44 AM
Dear TradurGurl:

The same reason the inside of a Submarine smells. Cuz, it's been submerged too long and all those "smelly" men (in your case tools)
 avalanche325
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:56:55 AM
Improperly cleaned tools, that's what. I clean my tools with brake cleaner before putting them away. If anything my toolbox smells like rubbing alcohol. I also empty out and clean the box every year (and sort through the tools I need/don't need). If you want your tools to smell clean get an old towel, spray some brake cleaner on it and wipe them down before you put them away. Water really doesn't cut it nor does soap. Brake clean will break (no pun intended) down any sort of grime, oil, etc that you get on the tools.
 loveoregon
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/18/2008 11:17:23 AM
Haven't run into this with any of my toolboxes. Mine all smell kind of like oil. Ewww....a puke smell would make do the same.

Maybe it's because I don't make a point to clean them unless they get real noticeably dirty (like the wrench you use when removing the pan bolt during an oil change).

The guy who mentioned moisture would be on the right track, especially if the box is air tight (no ventilation)
 jimi77
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/18/2008 11:24:10 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about I have three tool chest and they smell nothing like vomit or puke. grease, metal, saw dust maybe but not vomit?
 Von Erik
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/18/2008 12:34:35 PM

But at least I have finally found a remedy -- potpourri sachet! (Also prevents pilferage -- since no guys want tools that smell like flower gardens!)

I've owned and been around a lot of tool boxes... only time I've ever had one smell like puke was after a party and sombody puked in one...

In high school it was great fun in auto mechanics class for some of the guys too piss in somebody elses tool box...

Mine are still opened up in the floor of my front room next to my bike, they stay "aired out".
Posted: 5/18/2008 12:37:40 PM
I sniffed both my tool boxes and they smell like motor oil only. Maybe it's because both of mine are hot pink? One is about 2 years old and is always closed, especially during the winter, but it's just a faint oil smell.

In the house I have a tool drawer and I did sniff it and there was a very faint odor of cedar from years ago, that's it, but those tools are used around the house and don't often get involved in messy fluids.

But I do have one pine cabinet that smells like someone, err, mistook it for the toilet bowl. All the kitchen cabinets are made of the same pine, but for some reason, that cabinet has the distinct odor. I do have a floral-scented thingie in there so now it smells like floral piss.

(A carpenter told me it happens to pine on occasion)
 Ms Tude
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/18/2008 12:41:38 PM
never really smelled my tools. And if i am in my tools box i am generally focused on the task at hand.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH nice come back!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw - my tool boxes smell like - well, grease and tools.
 loveoregon
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/18/2008 12:52:40 PM

after a party and sombody puked in one...

That was my first impression......got any enemies OP? Parties at the house with intoxicated guests roaming about? .....Maybe the restroom was taken.

Disclaimer: The above is not meant to be a smart-a$$ remark.
 nocatchyname
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/18/2008 12:53:53 PM

If your box is all metal though I'm not sure where the smell comes from, perhaps the paint, fittings etc.

perhaps the tools themselves, rubber handles, slight (not noticeable) rusting, almost anything can cause awful smells. Ever drive by a plastic or rubber factory of some sort...the smell can be quite overbearing if you aren't used to it.
 joejoe82
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/18/2008 1:47:49 PM
i've had some screwdrivers in the past that the plastic handles on them would smell funky when it got warm
 laughinglibra
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/18/2008 1:49:11 PM
^^^^^ DaveB951, I've never had any problem with the tools I use....

- use 'em
- respect 'em
- clean 'em
- store 'em

Nice to hear the tips on if my tool box gets smelling like vomit.... sachet, cedar chips, baking soda... but so far my tool boxes have never stunk like that.
 NoMexShrek
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/18/2008 4:02:35 PM
Never had my toolbox smell bad.. Just a hint-o-oil/solvent/grease.

Now if you spill limited slip additive in the toolbox, that stuff stinks.

I guess I would just put a thin pan of Hoppes #9 in there and the smell would be better.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2008 4:37:03 PM
'Cause they're not cleaned. Things need cleaning. Besides, if you don't check your tools out every now and then, they end up rusting on you. It's important, 'cause when you need them, you don't usually have the time to go and get a new one there and then.
 LowAcapella
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/18/2008 5:11:03 PM
All tools leave the factory with a light sheen of oil on them to prevent surface rusting. Vegetable oil is cheaper than petroleum oil, so cheaper tool manufacturers use it to cut costs.

Put a biodegradable substance in the dark long enough, and bacteria will eventually find it, and begin to eat it. What you're smelling is bacteria poop.... Otherwise known as rancid oil.

As mentioned above, brake cleaner solvent will remove all the vegi oil. Then mist with WD-40 before you put them to bed.

NEVER expected to need that bit of trivia on a singles web site lol.
 quo_vadis
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:01:21 PM
original poster,
the number one cause of foul odour in toolboxes would be poor quality rubber with high VOCs (volatile organic compound) such as you would find in rubber mallets or hammer handles bought at discount tool stores such as harbour freight or walmart or princess auto.
my mallet is a urethane deadblow hammer bought at a specialty tool store. none of my tools have rubber handles. my toolbox sees daily use in my profession and i have had it for twelve years, it has always smelled like hickory.
anything made of rubber will offgas horribly if it is made from poor quality rubber. avoid these, and your toolbox will smell just fine. good luck
 antonioIII
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:01:45 PM
I'd be pissed of some woman put that flower smelling crap in my tool box.......
 wannaluvjustu
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:22:17 PM

I'd be pissed of some woman put that flower smelling crap in my tool box.......

We could always put Vinegar and Water "Douche" in your tool box...I mean, it really doesn't smell like flowers but will clean your "tool" box...
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What makes tool boxes smell like vomit?