Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ingridtu
Msg: 3
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Age is a factor when the guy is young in years and still a boy. I'm 19, but I can assure the best lovers I have ever had, have been over 50, and the one that I shall never forget was much older. Older men are so considerate, in all ways, they treat a girl like a Lady when your out, they bring breakfast in bed--and say the nicest things--and are not like young ones who skite about something the don't know how to use..they use their tongues to boast with instead of using them as they were intended..Is it any wonder so many girls like girls

Give an Old Beast any day...Young ingritu
 SarGasm
Msg: 4
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/3/2005 11:22:13 PM
yep.

there's a cute little 19 year old who wouldn't mind getting with me...she's made it OVERTLY obvious on many occasions...

but i just can't seem to get my stupid consience to take a nap...
 abo_ubaid1
Msg: 5
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/4/2005 3:23:10 AM
helloo
how r u hony i like u and wan chat with u online but here no servies if u com on yahoo messanger then we ll chat
my yahoo id is
abo_ubaid1
i ll wait for u
 andthentherewasmeagain
Msg: 6
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/4/2005 3:36:00 AM
age is most certainly a factor. it is much more than a number. how old you are can determine your ability to reproduce, your energy levels, how long it takes your body to heal, how much stamina one has, maturity, experience, focus, goals, etc.. the list goes on for miles. however, these things don't make or break a relationship. naturally, how much of a factor would be more or less related to the age difference. so yeah, it's a factor. but not necessarily the deciding factor.
cheers
illya
 NittanyLion
Msg: 7
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/4/2005 1:33:41 PM
Hey, leave Bill out of this.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 8
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/4/2005 1:34:49 PM
More on point: Age matters in the first few decades, decreasing after that, in my opinion.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 9
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/4/2005 1:57:51 PM

Age is a factor if you’re younger, but curiosity and adventure overcomes the age factor when you are young.

I agree, but there's an older person involved in that equation, and depending on the age of the younger, motives are questionable.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 10
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/4/2005 2:10:24 PM
You are a charming guy. Misinformed, but charming. If you're going to try to make a point, don't make the point that would logically lead to death at age 30. (5 x 20 = 100%, and 100% depreciation would mean certain death.) At least make sense when you insult.

I KNOW!!! My math is incorrect too... I was just making a point. lol
 NittanyLion
Msg: 11
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/4/2005 2:24:57 PM
Grub, you make a good point. I was looking at this question solely from the perspective of under-age, close to under-age, etc. Other than that, I think it's purely a personal decision. If it's a factor for you, fine. If not, fine too. Not hurting anyone.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 12
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/4/2005 7:06:23 PM
Innocent, not in all situations, no... but most of the time I hear people say an "If you love the person it doesn't matter" sort of thing, it's some 32 year old guy who's with a 15 yr old. Yikes.
 Dim_sum
Msg: 13
view profile
History
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/5/2005 12:29:04 AM
When I was 20 I was attracted to men between 40 and 50. When I was 30 I was attracted to men between 40 and 50. When I was 40 I was attracted to men between 40 and 50. Now that I am 50 I find I still am attracted to men between 40 and 50. So in light of my interest in this particular age group I had to ask myself why 40 to 50?

I think for me it's that way for the following reasons:

1. Men look their best during this age
2. They are not so hormone driven and have discovered there is more to life than just
f-----g.
3. They have aquired knowledge and I seek knowledge in all I do
4. They havn't given up their dreams
5. They have a wider circle of friendships from varied age groups that make it fun to be with them.

In saying this you will probably why I posted looking for age 50-70 in my profile. I suppose insecurity to some extent and a thing called "settling". One of my older girlfreinds by 10 years once told me something when I was in my early 40's that now rings truth within my ears. She said when you get to be 50 and you still havn't found the man of your dreams you realize that age is not on your side and you tend to "settle" ...taking a good man with whom you are comfortable and secure around in exchange for that galactic connection.

Problem is I have not found a man over 50 I would date. It is now 10 years since my last relationship and I am so out of touch with the dating thing I wouldn't know where to begin. And sex...well 10 years without it makes you look at life in a very differnt way. Funny thing is in my day to day life right now it is still men between 40 and 50 that ask me out(but I decline). and the older guys never do ask me out. I wonder about that.

My plan within the next couple of years is to get some cosmetic surgery...knock off a few years I hope and work hard at getting fit as I have become less active due to recent surguries and go back to school. In another year as it stands now , my son will have the same "formal" education as I. (grade 8). Remember though that school is not where you learn things..it is just the place that gives you the curdentials that states you can follow orders and are servant material. You must be carefull that school does not rob you of your creativity and individulaism. Learn from those "walk the walk" they know best.

Sorry to ramble off subject. My creative side won over my heart again. I would like to see a post that asks "Is love a thread in a needle , or a needle in a haystack , or is it the bale of hay, or could it be the whole dang barn"? To me it's the needle that the magpie picked up and stored in her nest becuase it was such a shiney treasure. "You know what happens when a lady looks for a needle in a haystack? She usually ends up getting a prick." That's why I prefer the bird's nest.
 cdngirl4u
Msg: 14
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/6/2005 9:00:42 PM
I don't think age matters in a relationship. I've always dated younger men and find them more open, honest and loving. If there is love and caring it is all that matters. I just got out of a relationship with a 25 year old and all was good and still is. Younger guys are where its at, they know how to have fun and please a woman. The older guys just want to fall asleep in their chairs and have naps.
 Mr Bain
Msg: 15
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/6/2005 9:59:50 PM
Age does matter. It's a map and there are certain key junctures.

Here's my current plan for navigating the map:

Single:

24-35: PLAY! Have fun, get laid right and left. Get the ladies while they're young and vibrant, live it up!

36-38: Officially start looking for a wife. If the search takes less time, then the map will reflects it.

Married:

38-90: Have children, watch them grow, show them the ropes, give them money to get out of the house, show your wife how much you love her.

Divored/Widowed:

90-94: Write a book on what you've learned in life. Read all the books you said you would read, but never got to. Seriously, when is a better time at this point?

95th birthday: Go down to Puerto Rico, have a fling with a sexy teenage girl. Stay there until you die.
 CROSSFADE
Msg: 16
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/7/2005 1:16:48 AM
Often times its not only a factor.... but a law
 YamIhere
Msg: 17
view profile
History
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/7/2005 1:01:32 PM
Yes, age is a factor. My ideal woman is over 80, has more dollars in millions than years in age, is on her death bed with no living heirs and wants to marry me!
 Raven34
Msg: 18
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/7/2005 6:36:34 PM
I used to think age wasn't an issue......when I was 19 I had a two year relationship with someone 10 years older and when I was 22 I had a one year relationship with someone 16 years older......now that I am older though I prefer to stay closer to my own age range. That's just my opinion though and if it works for others more power to them.....
 guymariano
Msg: 19
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/7/2005 6:46:26 PM
no
 NittanyLion
Msg: 20
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 6/13/2005 4:37:56 PM
And by "woman" you mean "adult," I assume, so I'll generally agree.
 nightfly
Msg: 21
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 3/4/2007 6:21:27 PM
I read somewhere that who we are personality wise is pretty much set by the time we're 25. And I've found it to be true so far. So, after that, anything goes. It's important to keep in mind where you are in your life's plans however. If you're done having kids, don't want any, and your potential mate thinks otherwise, you'd better pass. Too many older guys (yeah, my age) have already done the family thing and expect young women to forget about having kids, and that's not fair. I haven't had kids yet, so being single again, I'm pretty much at the same point a woman at 30 is. Ready to settle down and get married (eventually; too many 30 something women want to get married RIGHT NOW and have kids RIGHT NOW before the biological clock winds down). Would I have kids, at my age? Well, yeah, maybe with the right person, but not in the first few years of marriage; that time should be about us. And after one divorce, I'm going to be real careful about who that will be.
 want to travel
Msg: 22
view profile
History
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 3/5/2007 12:43:34 AM
My parents had a tweenty year gap between them,i have never met two people more in love,
my mom wanted a career and so did my dad, they decieded that all the domestic work woul be shared, from changig dipers to houswork, everything was 50/50 between them, and having an older father who was youthfull and open was the best situation for us the kids
 MB58SC
Msg: 23
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 3/5/2007 7:57:29 AM
It's a factor in all relationships. Whether or not it's accepted, that's all dependent upon arbitrary limits.
 PickyProfessional
Msg: 24
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 3/11/2007 2:27:16 PM
it's not a factor per se, but most people aren't interested in dating someone where there's a wide age gap. (i know i'm not, but whatever floats your boat is great.)
 alijoe29
Msg: 25
view profile
History
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 3/12/2007 8:40:51 AM
as much as we all like to think that age does not matter~~sooner or later in a relationship, it does matter. someone who is 15 to 20 years older than you~~does have different taste~~down to something as simple as music.

there are some age different relationships out there that probably do work. i have seen more that ended up not working. good luck~~i hope it works if this is what you want.
 cloudthree
Msg: 26
view profile
History
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 2/5/2008 6:11:05 AM
Never ever was for me. I always looked and acted at least 10-15 years younger than my actual number. My comfort zone has been 45-60 and it works!!

One of my best relationships was with a lady 23 yrs younger that I met at her age of 22. We still are fast friends, date, when we can as she moved for a career advance.

It is how you feel about each other, that is the engine that drives you. Our lives are so short that isn't happiness with mr. or mrs. right the real goal??? Seize the moment and make it work!!!
My spin for what it is worth.
 dessertguy
Msg: 27
IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?
Posted: 2/5/2008 1:06:45 PM
Sadly, yes, age is , all too often, a factor. But it shouldn't be. It only is a factor if anyone lets it be.

As anyone can see from a lot of the replies above, there are many instances where relationships with large age gaps were still happy and successful. Yet most people will still cling to preconceived notions that they have to find someone close in age to have a happy and successful relationship.
From what I have read, statistics show that in the US, most people marry someone within 5 years of their age, and yet, the divorce statistics prove that marrying within 5 years is not a gurantee of success, so therefore, that should not be a primary factor in the decision.
Age is what it is. We are all individuals. We are not absolute representatives of our particular age group. Yes, we may, and some of us do (not me, though ), fit the stereotype of our age group, but we may not. But the other person won't know if they treat everyone as just that number that they are, and fail to get to know the individual.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > IS AGE REALLY A FACTOR?