Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: profile review - let's play a game!
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 14 (view)

profile review - let's play a game!
Posted: 10/17/2009 9:03:43 PM
blonderoses - That's exactly how I imagine a perfect meeting! haha. I think my profile does say what I want it too ;)

So I've edited it. Taken out the bullet list (gasp!) and made a series of short paragraphs (I had to compromise somewhere) and tried to rephrase a bit to avoid using "I" as often (which is pretty hard when writing a profile about yourself!). The info is pretty much the same with a few small additions/deletions.

Hopefully it reads better now :)
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 10/17/2009 8:15:50 PM
SeekAdventure - Though I appreciate your logic, what about the same logic but reverse?? If I switch to a paragraph format I may potentially exclude guys who are attracted to bulleted lists and really miss out !! hehehe. I'm thinking of living on the wild side and switching to a paragraph for a week or so... just to see if there's a difference ;) Though I do have a date tomorrow... what if he's a bullet-lover and cancels on me when he sees I've switched sides??? GAH! The pressure is almost too much to handle :)
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 10/16/2009 10:02:05 PM
It's funny how much controversy there is around bulleted lists! As 'artsy' as I am, I'm analytically minded and appreciate order. Which is the reason I'm attached to my dear bullet list. I figure POF is like shopping and it's nice to see the specifics laid out in an orderly fashion. Could you imagine buying a computer and having to read through specifications in paragraph format?

Regarding econclown's comment that a bullet list is "a good way to tell people you don't know how to write". Thanks for the comment but I'll have to disagree. I could always post a link to my publications if people want a sample of my writing... it's a thought.
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 10/16/2009 9:05:00 PM
sorry, new to posting on the forums. I thought my last post would appear under "goofy_smiles" message to me. I guess not?

So I'll just write everything here -

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It’s so funny how ‘outsiders’ (ie. not me/close friends) see something completely different than what I think people would see. A good learning experience!

To address comments in no particular order:

I didn’t realize that the picture of me in the plaid dress made me look old and frumpy?! Haha. I love that picture (and that dress). Woops. I tend to dress a tad on the vintage side of style.I’ll find a different one for my primary photo!

Halftimedad - you had me worried! When I read ‘dissapointing’ I actually got quite sad, until I read the rest of your post. Thank you for not burning me :) I can live with 'adorable'. I used to hate being 'cute', now I embrace it.

DenverSky – really good points. I hadn’t realized my profile came off ‘anonymous’. I will definitely take out the generic stuff and add more qualifiers about the kind of guys I’m interested in. It's funny how clear the image in my head is...

Privat33r – you’re right about the carpet bombing. I bet the 80% I don’t have anything in common with are those who use those tactics. I tend not to respond to emails that don’t have something specific to me in them. And yep – I’m going to put more thought into qualifying the kind of guy I’m looking for.

GQsunset – yikes! Frumpy and nerdy?! Well half of that is true :) I embrace my geekiness and am looking for someone similar… so that’s a fine observation. As for frumpy, I’ll re-examine my photos…

DatingMatingRelating – I had nooo idea I was being negative in my profile! It’s funny, that’s my number one turnoff in a profile. I’ll fix that. The shirtless pic comment will likely stay though… unless I can find some other polite way of saying that anyone who has that kind of mentality should kindly not bother messaging me (because it is a deal-breaker).

Well, thanks again everyone for the feedback. Looks like I have some editing to do!
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 10/16/2009 8:36:50 PM
I got rid of the photo with the blacked out faces. Thanks.

I’m torn about the bullet list. I love when people’s profiles have bullet lists! So organized and makes skimming much easier! Having said that, most of you said that’s a no-no. So I will see how I can reconfigure it to have no bullets but not a wall of text....

Thank you for the kind descriptors. Adventurous, competetive, and academic would definitely be me...

I know some guys prefer demure girls, which I'm not, so I wanted that to come across in my profile. I think it did. Thanks for the feedback :)
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 18 (view)

Help Please
Posted: 10/15/2009 10:56:43 PM
First, I'd hardly even call you "BBW". Second, curves are fantastic. For every guy that I've met who likes lanky women, I've met one who likes curvy women. Embrace it and love yourself. Make sure you're healthy and treat yourself right... and guys will be in to you.
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 10/15/2009 10:53:55 PM
Hi everyone!

I love reading through other people's profile reviews and decided it was about time to get mine reviewed. I go through periods of good responses/connections and then slow periods... I figure this is pretty typical. Of the messages I get, I'd say 80% are from guys that I feel I have nothing in common with. So now, the question is - am I not portraying myself how I think I am (or are they just having the same problem)!?

So, I have a fun game for you all!! After reading my profile tell me a couple adjectives that pop to mind. Doesn't matter what it is (within reason!), just whatever generalization/impression/images you have about me after reading my profile. A kind of word association game ;) I just figure it would be a good way to get an idea of how I'm making myself come across and whether I need to change my profile to better represent who I am.

And of course, any general profile feedback is encouraged!

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)
 bluesunshine29
Msg: 78 (view)

Does this make me a cougar?
Posted: 10/15/2009 9:43:15 PM
Why on earth should you care? I'm sorry your friend made you feel insecure about it.

My mom said this to me once - 'love is hard enough to find, why put any boundaries on it'

Though I think taking that statement too literally would be a mistake, I think in general it holds true. If you like him then go for it. And anyway, if you didn't guess his age then other people probably won't either.

Show ALL Forums