Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Do husband`s and fathers have constitutional rights like everyone else?
 lipot
Msg: 5 (view)

Do husband`s and fathers have constitutional rights like everyone else?
Posted: 8/6/2008 5:25:28 PM
I have a question about the whole issue being that I am Canadian and while we have the same problems with questionable restraining orders and due process, we don't have ingrained into our constitution gun legistlation. So is the problem these questionable restraining orders or not being able to own a weapon? Or the whole arguement around domestic violence and what constitutes domestic violence? Or as one person brought up, is it that someone is going back to the old religious concept that a wife and children are little better then property?
 lipot
Msg: 43 (view)

Canada deports U.S. deserter who opposes Iraq War
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:01:15 AM
Big Shrek, the UN is eventually going to say what the US and UK want due to the fact that both are permanent and VETO MEMBERS of the main council and security council. To add to the fact that the US has openly ignore international war crime tribunals and has openly given it's major political and military leaders retoactive immunity for war crimes has me concern. But then as a liberal, I may be mistaken. But then I also was lucky in that when I was involved with my country's armed forces as an officer I manage to avoid the first Gulf War and decided to leave before 9/11 and my government order troop deployment to Afganistan in support of the US war on terror. Yet the connection between Afganistan and Iraq is lost to me.

Oh, FYI. The US does not make up the bulk of the UN forces, and usually ignores the UN call for "Peace Keepers" preferring to act independant and claiming to be "Peace Makers". It might help to keep the peace if the US and the other permanent members of the Security Council quit selling MWD's and other weapons to these people. Colonel North just brought to light what has been known for years.

While I don't agree with deserting from a post, it may be the fact that there was no legal option availible for that person to leave. We don't know all of the situation around this case and the reason for him to desert. I know that there are somethings that would of made me desert and none of it is fear.

Captain GirlyGirl does have a better idea then most of the people in this case. This is a question of law at this point. And while I disagree with Stephen Harper's policies, I am supporting this decision for deportation based on the grounds that if we can show we follow the rule of law and other country's legal proceedures that we can bring the biggest group of international law breakers either to trial or at least get them to change their ways of dealing with the international community.
 lipot
Msg: 36 (view)

How do you feel when a man puts their children last..
Posted: 7/10/2008 4:44:22 PM

Men sell their soul for a piece of arse ... their children are way lower down the list.

Then I must be crazy as I have refused such things to be with my child. But I also know what you mean as the mother of my child left me for a guy that only uses the fact that he has a child to pick up. To some women, that is more appealling then having to deal with a dedicated dad with an ex that is always going to be there.
 lipot
Msg: 40 (view)

Why Has the Price of Food Shot Up and What Does It Portend?
Posted: 4/19/2008 9:58:55 PM
Has anyone else thought that the problem may have nothing to do with mega-corporations, weaken governments, or poorly thought out alternative energy plans? I would thought that since most of the world's wealth is sent to the US and US foreign policy has a negative impact on most of the world, that maybe the world is just getting sick of it. OPEC is a group of countries that supply most of the world's oil but some of the key members did not like the US invasion of Iraq, an action that was not santion by the UN which was establish to help prevent such things. Iran is taking steps to develop nuclear power but is using an US/Soviet design reactor which can irradiate weapons grade plutonium. Yet there is talk of attacking them instead of offering to replace such reactors with Canadian Candu reactors which cannot make radioactive weapons. So let's look at it so far. The US with the help of Britian, attacks one OPEC country and threatens another. None of these countries spend billions of dollars on their military. (Got to keep those $1 million/day carriers going.) So how would you respond. By increasing the price and decreasing the production of the one thing that the US needs. And the response is exactly as expected. Energy crisis and food crisis, stuff that can be avoided. Governments have more power then expected. But it takes the people to push it. Want to save money on gas but still need to drive daily? Look into all avenues for options. Electric cars are still out of reach for most people as well as hybrid but other countries have found solutions. (Look at the European Smart Car or the Japanese Kei cars.) If you own your own home, look into solar panels to offset your power consuption. Worry about your city's tap water. Buy a water filtration system and install it either just on one sink or on your main line in. Or even a filter jug. Most people tend to forget about the chemicals used to make the bottle for their bottle water or the power consumption needed, plus the shipping. And bring about the biggest change, force the mega-corporations to fight for your business. Avoid Wal-Mart, Shell, Mobil, Texaco. Find that small no name gas station or store. Yes you will pay a little more with everything I stated but the dividends will be such that it will help the enviroment, cut your energy costs, and make everyone out there realize that global war and profit mongering won't be tolerated. And vote for someone that WILL cut some of the worst spenders in the world. The Pentagon's budget. Forcing the world to do what the US wanted caused this problem. Take away the method to do that will go along way to reversing this current problem with food prices and fuel costs.
 lipot
Msg: 3 (view)

Shared Parenting
Posted: 12/31/2006 6:23:10 AM
I have just finish a full year of shared parenting with my ex. And for some people it works. I know that for me though it has been tough since my ex believes that everything should be on her schedule and placing. Because of this I have to reside in a more expensive part of town then what I can easily afford plus not take advantage of the fact that I have an old and close friend who owns her own daycare and would give me a break on the cost. For those that have made it work, I applaud you. But for me, I would find it easier if my son was with me full time. It would be easier for me to taylor my work and school schedules and even a social life. I have tried the switching weekends but my ex makes a big deal unless she wants it. The most important is that something needs to be given by both people or your child/ren will suffer needlessly.
 lipot
Msg: 9 (view)

Failed marriage under 30
Posted: 12/30/2006 3:22:51 PM
I just turn 30 this past October and just waiting on the papers. I have since discover that people that normally go through this either had experience or have some sort of distructive nature. My ex started on this site well before I did and is following in her biological fathers footsteps in a string of unfilling relationships. As for me, I did learn that my lack of knowledge in reading people brought on alot of unneccessary hardship to myself and for my son. The only good thing I can honestly say about my ex is that she loves our son even if she chooses not to look at the damage. With divorces becoming easier to get and people living longer and having to work more to make ends meet, I am surprise with marriages lasting. And maybe the problem is that we are no longer willing to compromise anymore, either.
 lipot
Msg: 5 (view)

Fighting parents vs. one parent
Posted: 10/22/2006 1:55:02 PM
I know from personal experience that it is not always the case. My ex was the yeller but I did my fair share as well. Yet my son was doing better when we were together then now. I know that sounds strange. The separation help us out more then him. (Her even more then me.) Yet I grew up in a home where such stuff happen. I will not glamourize it, it wasn't pretty. But my parents got help. And that help my siblings and myself. I know that there are programs out there. Both people have to be willing to get the help. And after that look at separating. Once a child is born that child should take priority in everything. Including our own ideals and dreams.
 lipot
Msg: 47 (view)

Why the number of single parents ??
Posted: 10/9/2006 6:44:41 AM
Then here is a real question. Who decides what is a bad relationship? I worked to support my wife and son at a job that was stable but not high paying. Then at this time last year she told me that she was going to see other people. I never beat her, nor abused her. Never cheated, rarely went out without her. Yet that was undesirable. My parents have been married for 30 years and by any of our standards, my mom should of walked out. Everyone wants to blame society or television. But we are society. Yes there are lots of truly valid reasons now days for single parents to exist. But if we want to stay the exception and not the rule, we better step up to the plate like our grandparents and great-grandparents did for our parents and show that there is different levels of love and all sex is just one type, not the best type for people that are not committed to one another.
 lipot
Msg: 19 (view)

ever hold your child and cry as if they were gone?
Posted: 3/8/2006 1:41:36 PM
I have the unfortunate understanding of losing a daughter to natural causes and almost losing my son because of my ex-wife's need for control. So I am always holding him and crying because I do not know what will happen next. It is always hard when someone else's decision can take your child away from you.

Show ALL Forums