Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: What about honesty? Should we do anything?
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 8 (view)

What about honesty? Should we do anything?
Posted: 1/12/2014 7:41:04 AM
I'm not surprised you are sleepy. Sure is quiet in here lately.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 89 (view)

Gold Fish required now to see sent message status???!!!!
Posted: 12/6/2010 7:23:07 PM

To see if any user has Read or Deleted your messages you need 1 goldfish credit which works out to about 8 cents. 1 goldfish credit will unlock this feature permanently for all messages you have sent.

This place sucks now. I wonder whats happened to their page view revenue?
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 2 (view)

Homeless asking for Money....
Posted: 10/27/2010 9:12:56 PM
I never give them money. Food might be a good idea.

Up here the better ones will clean your windshield for your change. I wish they would just get a job.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 34 (view)

What are you listening to while you post?
Posted: 10/21/2010 6:41:37 PM
I may have posted this before - Pacifica was at Folk Fest a couple of years ago.

youtube = yoPgCScowjM
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 10/5/2010 8:31:11 PM

Life is bare, gloom and misery everywhere
Stormy weather, just can't get my poor old self together
I'm weary all the time, the time, so weary all of the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzZ20q7QC8
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 69 (view)

Burqas etc.....What is your opinion?
Posted: 9/8/2010 5:01:12 PM
Pretty boring over done topic.

No wonder the forums have died.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 1 (view)

What on earth are the big fish thinking?
Posted: 6/22/2010 2:33:14 AM
I just got this message...

You can not view or reply to messages until you update your intent below.

When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?

This site is really sucking big time now.

I have no intent to update my intent with the 5 choices offered.

See you later.

Why can't you fix the formatting problem?

Old News

When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?

Forum Page Width Formatting Issues ONLY - Post Here

Closed Thread - Redundant

Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 51 (view)

A CURE for MS !!
Posted: 5/10/2010 4:53:59 PM
They should be trying it out and publishing the results.

As I write this , I am watching the show W5 on TV. There appears to be a Dr. Zamboni ( no jokes about hockey rinks please...this is serious) who has discovered an astounding treatment that could actually CURE MS! Do you know anyone with this disease??

I know a number of women with MS. It would be great to put it behind us. And Manitoba has very high rates of it.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 28 (view)

Firearm registry? here's some statistics...
Posted: 5/9/2010 4:56:57 PM
I'm in favor of all guns in Canada being registered.

Three top police groups came together Thursday to defend the long-gun registry, even as the Conservative government called on three retired officers to speak against it.

The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, the Canadian Police Association and the Canadian Association of Police Boards came out against a private-member's bill that aims to scrap the registry.

The heads of all three groups — representing police chiefs, frontline officers and the boards that employ them — said perceptions of the registry are dated and rife with misconceptions.

A little grandstanding by the Harperites with guys who retired 10 years ago doesn't sway me at all.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/its-police-vs-police-as-sides-trade-shots-in-political-battle-over-gun-registry-92993594.html
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 4 (view)

The recent Times Square bombing incident - Terrorism ?
Posted: 5/3/2010 9:24:03 PM

A Person of Interest is being sought...

It sounds like they are looking for a banker.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 42 (view)

Release Bernie on compassionate grounds?
Posted: 5/1/2010 12:50:28 PM
I read a book review written by the guy who first figured out Madoff was a scam. He had a hard time getting anyone's attention.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/after_hours/lifestyle_products/article.jsp?content=20100412_10025_10025
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 18 (view)

FOX AND ABC NIXES LANE BRYANT LINGERIE AD
Posted: 4/29/2010 8:37:53 PM
As Trent Reznor says:

TURN OFF YOUR TV!
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 62 (view)

Music that rocks your soul
Posted: 4/24/2010 6:08:01 PM
No Diggity

You tube = ZlQFOgZMtow
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 14 (view)

Firearm registry? here's some statistics...
Posted: 4/17/2010 11:20:57 AM
Could mean that gun control works.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 29 (view)

Posted: 4/16/2010 8:51:49 PM
Ron Sexsmith - Cold Hearted Wind

Some morning you may find yourself alone
And there’ll be no warning
Should the wind of change start blowin’

Cold hearted wind
Is blowin’ in the face of love
But I’ll take it to a place I know
Where the cold hearted wind don’t go

Been brewin’ ever since the world began
It could mean the ruination
Of your best laid plans

Cold hearted wind
Is moving on from every side
Dividing all goodwill has tried
To mend and to unite

You wonder if it’s gone for good
As I ponder that unlikelihood
Oh, if only wishing could
Just keep us from harm’s way always

But I feel it like a train rollin’ down the track
As it calls for you
To entertain these thoughts so black

Cold blooded storm
May turn the warmest heart to stone
And leave a trail of toppled hopes and dreams
Where the cold hearted wind has blown

Cold hearted wind
Is blowin’ in the face of love
But I’ll take you to a place I know
Where the cold hearted wind don’t go
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 15 (view)

Low tax rate! 9% on $75,000?
Posted: 4/13/2010 8:55:29 PM

Ah Tommy Douglass, national hero of Canada.
Think of the lives his bravery saved.

Amen!
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 104 (view)

Profile cliches: My friends and family are important to me!
Posted: 4/4/2010 9:05:26 PM
Bucsgirl says"
bad boy - still thinks the Fonz is "cool"

Love your posts. The mayor of my town - Sam Katz - just gave the Fonz the key to the City.

That transported me back to the 70's.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 5 (view)

Frustration with my sons mom
Posted: 4/2/2010 2:29:05 AM

Every other weekend and one evening during the week for "school age children" is standard visitation.

Actually with my friends and given the popularity of divorce - 50/50 custody is much more common now. Thats what I have.

The "standard" downplays the importance of having a Dad in a kid's life.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 3 (view)

Frustration with my sons mom
Posted: 4/1/2010 7:04:26 PM
I agree with Ms. When

You only have him a small amount of time. Hopefully you can get to a place with him where he will tell you why he pulled the fire alarm. That is more important than punishment. Communication is better than judgment.

Part of teaching is listening and understanding where your pupil is at.

Good luck Dad
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 23 (view)

Obama signs anti-smoking law
Posted: 3/18/2010 7:31:17 PM
Message 10

[Quote]"Guys who smoke get less pussy")

LOL

That might convince some smokers. 8 years since I quit.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 4 (view)

Think Laws Against Texting While Driving Are Necessary? Read This!
Posted: 3/9/2010 7:49:48 PM

I'm stunned. I can't believe the ex-husband let her actually leave the house before shaving her legs.

Well at least the ex was trying to be helpful in the situation. Except it wasn't her legs she was trying to shave.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 14 (view)

Still waiting for that maternal instinct **not feeling it**
Posted: 3/7/2010 3:31:14 PM

if you don't have children there is something wrong with you?

Nothing wrong at all. I have really liked having children in my life. They are teenagers now and fine people.

Don't let other people judge you in a negative way.
 Fort Garry Dark

looking for some good wigs
Posted: 3/4/2010 7:54:16 PM
I've always like Earl's Hot Wings - with celery.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 6 (view)

Jim Bunning
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:18:28 PM
As a Canadian - I'd never heard of this guy before. It sounds like he got enough people p.o'd that the GOP caved. Good on them! Bring on health care America. A bipartisan America could be a great nation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/us/politics/03cong.html?hp
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 746 (view)

Curling Rocks
Posted: 2/26/2010 4:59:00 PM
Its the 7th end of the women's gold medal game at the olympics.

Time for some Weakerthans:

Now the lounge is full of farmers for the 7:30 draw
Teammates all left before they had to buy a round
When they pull the 50/50 and I've lost again, I'll go
Maybe have one more brown one for the snowy road
All the championship banners going yellow on the wall
And my name when it gets closer to last call

So Elvira brings my bottle, hold it up and let it bend
Figures of two rinks battling an extra end
And I'm peeling off the label as they peel a corner guard
Dance down the sheet to the tune of "Hurry, Hurry Hard"
And my popcorn squeaks with the question, wonders why I'm not at home
Where you wait beside a silent telephone, doodle circles within circles all alone
Have to stop myself from climbing on the table full of empties to yell:

"Why, why can't I draw right up to what I want to say?"
"Why can't I ever stop where I want to stay?"
I slide right through the day, I'm always throwing hack weight
Right off, no never never ever ever
Right off, no never never ever never
Right off, no never never never ever
Right off, no never ever never ever
Right off, no never never never ever

Now the senior bonspiel winners circa 1963
Are all staring, glaring disapprovingly
From their frame in that old photograph at me
And I know you're out their waiting
For an answer I can't give you
so tell me,

"Why, Why can't I draw right up to what I want to say?"
"Why can't I ever stop when I want to stay?"
We roll right through our years
We drift right through our months
We slide through our days
I'm always throwing hack weight
Right off

Up by 1!
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 47 (view)

Why are cell phone plans so freakin expensive??
Posted: 2/20/2010 3:48:56 PM
My son's student plan phone was promoted as $20 a month - its $45 a month really.

He lost it. I paid $100 for insurance when I bought the phone - went back to the store today - they will give me a credit for $100 on a new phone. That is giving me my money back. How good is that for insurance?

It seems the best way to replace his phone is to find one from the same company through "friends". So he is out on the web looking for one.

I'm disappointed with the financial aspects of cell phone plans.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 40 (view)

What's Cookin' ....Good Lookin'?
Posted: 2/18/2010 7:24:50 PM
Sloppy Joe's

My kids love it. I think it repeats on me.
 Fort Garry Dark

Blue Bombers 2010
Posted: 2/10/2010 8:27:29 PM

Will Westwood put a smile on his face....quit being tight arsed....and lighten up this year?

Tempt - I am looking for some major turn around with the Big Blue - but I'm not really expecting miracles.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 21 (view)

Is honesty really the best policy ?.
Posted: 2/7/2010 3:12:32 PM

Is honesty the best policy?

I was taught that. Its easier to remember the truth in the morning.
 Fort Garry Dark

Blue Bombers 2010
Posted: 2/6/2010 5:52:43 PM
Okay its like a whole new team running the Bombers. Blank 2009 out of your mind.

Time for a new thread on the team.

I think LaPolice will be a really good force for them. Bauer is gone - so is Mike Kelly. Lapolice got Saskatchewan to the Grey Cup last year. I hope he can do that here too.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 97 (view)

What frugal things do you do to save money?
Posted: 2/3/2010 9:05:43 PM

I used to buy bottled water, but then I started buying it by the galon. Frankly, having to recycle all those bottles was a pain. It seems overall cheaper to buy it in galons, anyway. I can get a galon of drinking water for around .74c USD.

Tap water here is quite good and healthy and a fraction of a cent a gallon.

No bottles to deal with.
 Fort Garry Dark

Workers Comp?
Posted: 2/2/2010 8:15:20 PM
I don't know of any loophole, but talking to WCB should clear that up pretty quick.
 Fort Garry Dark

Workers Comp?
Posted: 2/2/2010 7:39:26 PM
I'd say she should report it.

If the police attended and this person has a record of attacking other people they should be stopped. No way that can be considered part of the job - maybe a hazard on some jobs, but no reason to allow that behavior to continue.

I think any judge would laugh at the suggestion they should "suck it up" when the injury requires surgery.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 7 (view)

We're all equal under the law. Unless..........
Posted: 2/1/2010 5:20:19 PM

I thought we were all supposed to be treated equally under the law ( hence the old expression "justice is blind" ). Apparently I was mistaken; it appears if you're a Manitoba First Nations chief the rules are different for you.

Hey its not just if you are a chief.

Drunk cop crashes motorbike, gets fined
Blood-alcohol level nearly three times legal limit

His blood-alcohol level was nearly triple the legal limit. He was driving his motorcycle into oncoming traffic. He crashed into the median, injuring both himself and his helmetless female passenger.

And he walked away with a $1,500 fine, a one-year licence suspension and continued employment as a Winnipeg police officer.

The facts of Const. Daniel Aminot's August 2009 guilty plea to impaired driving and sentencing have not been reported until now. But the case is stirring debate about whether police officers should be held to a different standard than other citizens -- and forfeit their badge if convicted of a crime.

Officially, Winnipeg police will only tell the Free Press Aminot remains on "active duty" since the conclusion of his case. Given the fact a judge took away his right to drive until this coming summer, it's presumed he's behind a desk.

Police Chief Keith McCaskill declined a request from the Free Press to comment about the specific process followed in this case.

The case was originally set for trial later this year, only to be brought forward and placed on a docket with dozens of others last August for a sudden guilty plea and sentencing.

That helped it escape media coverage and public scrutiny -- until the Free Press learned about it last week.

Aminot, 45, is hardly the only police officer currently on the job with a criminal record.

But Rod Sudbury, a former Winnipeg police officer who is now vice-president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, said the facts of his case are especially troubling.

"His (blood-alcohol) reading was very, very high," said Sudbury.

Aminot had spent the evening of May 7, 2007, on a date with a female friend. He was two years into his policing career at the time. The couple shared two carafes of wine at a Corydon Avenue restaurant, then went to The Keg on McGillivray Boulevard for more drinks. They left just after midnight on the back of his motorcycle -- with Aminot turning west on McGillivray while driving in the eastbound lane, court was told

He avoided hitting oncoming traffic but crashed into the centre median after travelling a short distance. His girlfriend was thrown off the bike, striking her head on the ground. She suffered a concussion, along with road rash and various cuts and bruises. Aminot was wearing a helmet and wasn't seriously injured.

Police requested a blood sample from Aminot nearly three hours after the crash.

"He was making a number of statements, most of which were rambling, given his impaired state," said special Crown prosecutor Robert Tapper. However, Aminot agreed to submit to the request. "Ya, I gotta do the right thing," he told police.

Aminot's blood-alcohol level was .20. The legal limit to drive is .08. Tapper said it was likely quite a bit higher at the time of the crash.

"He has no excuse for being on that bike having consumed alcohol. He feels absolutely horrible for what he's done. He has learned an unbelievable lesson," defence lawyer Richard Wolson told court.

Aminot has not had a sip of alcohol since that day and has come to grips with the fact he had a serious drinking problem, said Wolson.

He has also found religion, attending weekly church services, and has started doing volunteer work with groups such as the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

"I am truly sorry for what happened. It's totally not like me. It's been a life-changing experience for me, for the better," Aminot told court.

Provincial court Judge Marvin Garfinkel noted there was case precedence for a real jail sentence -- but agreed to go along with the joint recommendation between Tapper and Wolson for the financial penalty and licence suspension.

"A police officer facing an impaired driving offence is going to face consequences far greater than the fine the court is going to impose," Garfinkel said.

Mike Sutherland, president of the Winnipeg Police Association, said he supports the decision by police executive to keep Aminot on the job.

"Police are not perfect. Police are going to make mistakes. It's going to happen from time to time, but we do the best we can. But we are human and with humanity comes those types of frailties," he said. Sutherland said Aminot sought the help he needed and wants to now "do the best he can." He said the inability to drive will not affect Aminot's job.

"There's lots of roles in the police service you can fulfil without having to drive," Sutherland said.

"Believe me, we have a lot of need in a wide variety of areas that don't require any driving."

Former Winnipeg police chief Jack Ewatski raised eyebrows back in 2001 when he suggested any police officer convicted of a crime should be fired.

"If somebody intentionally goes out and breaks the law and they're convicted, then they should lose the privilege of being a police officer," Ewatski said.

However, Ewatski conceded each case would be viewed "on its own merits and all the circumstances surrounding it."

Sudbury said MADD would welcome a blanket policy -- especially concerning drunk driving -- that would see officers lose their job if found guilty. But he concedes that likely could never happen.

"If you're not going to take away everybody's job who is convicted of impaired driving, then you probably shouldn't do it for one category," said Sudbury. He notes some police officers -- such as Derek Harvey-Zenk -- "fall on their swords" and resign following a conviction.

In Harvey-Zenk's case, he killed a woman while driving recklessly.

-- with files from Gabrielle Giroday
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 11 (view)

learning a new language????
Posted: 1/30/2010 1:13:34 PM
The New York Times has an article on learning a second language today that suggests the Rosetta Stone is a great way. www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/technology/personaltech/28basics.html?em
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 7 (view)

Income, ??
Posted: 1/29/2010 8:49:17 PM

dark wears white socks too

I'm wearing white socks right now. But I've put the sandles away until it warms up a bit.

Just a moment - that is not entirely true - My sandles are still sitting by my kitchen door. I use them when I fire up my BBQ - and maybe tomorrow I'll be back in my white socks and sandles BBQing something!

There are some good times to look forward to.
 Fort Garry Dark

Income, ??
Posted: 1/29/2010 4:40:51 PM
They will use that info for their marketing.

We should all probably put the lowest choice because it really is privacy invasion.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 13 (view)

Jesus Rifles in use in Iraq and Afghanistan...
Posted: 1/19/2010 8:33:34 PM
When former Prime Minister of Canada Cretien decided to not take part in the Iraq war he said it could be the "Clash of Civilizations". Reading this thread that appears to be a valid assumption.

America should bring its troops home.
 Fort Garry Dark

When do you accept that you're going to die?
Posted: 1/17/2010 10:22:26 PM

Then you wake up with a jolt, rather horrifically, with someone giving you CPR and water pouring out of your mouth. It's quite the contrast with what came just before.

I love waking up with someone warm and naked next to me. Your experience sounds relatively horrific compared to my life.

I accept that I will die one day. It is the one thing that we all have in common. My dad prepared well - I hope I am able to do the same.
 Fort Garry Dark

Something old, something new...
Posted: 1/16/2010 1:56:50 PM
I think I'll get myself a bucket.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 6 (view)

not practical fashion trends and the arab look is fashionable now
Posted: 1/14/2010 5:32:15 PM
There's a lot of scarves around in Winnipeg at this time of year. Is Calgary usually pretty warm? Scarves are pretty practical I think.
 Fort Garry Dark

Does not wish to talk to you
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:56:22 PM
Thank you Eagle. I've changed that now also.

Damn, she looked pretty nice too.
 Fort Garry Dark

Posted: 1/12/2010 7:47:35 PM
Frankly - I'm not sure I'm getting it.

I changed my e-mail pref.

Now I can't find the profile I was interested in anyways. Arghhh.
 Fort Garry Dark

Posted: 1/12/2010 7:24:29 PM
Thank you Chardy,

Well I might take "Other" with the right woman. I'll change that setting for now.

Enjoy

EDIT After looking at my profile, I have "Must not be looking for Other Relationship " selected.

Funny thats not what you see.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 26 (view)

Posted: 1/12/2010 6:43:12 PM
Where have all the cowboys gone? - Paula Cole

Why don't you stay the evening
Kick back and watch the TV
And I'll fix a little something to eat
Oh I know your back hurts from working on the tractor
How do you take your coffee my sweet
I will raise the children if you pay all the bills

Where is my John Wayne
Where is my prairie son
Where is my happy ending
Where have all the cowboys gone
 Fort Garry Dark

Posted: 1/12/2010 6:27:39 PM
On a couple of profiles, I'm getting a message: "does not wish to talk to you, and is not looking for what you are looking for. Return to your inbox."

Her only restrictions are

Must not be looking for Other Relationship
Must not be looking for Intimate Encounter

which I'm not.

Is there something I'm missing so that I can contact these women?
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 33 (view)

Could you ever trust someone you met on a dating site?
Posted: 1/10/2010 3:36:30 PM
Pheromones don't last nearly as long as trust should.

I think that meeting people on a dating site is a very normal thing. Its a great way to get introduced to potential partners.

It takes some time before you know someone enough about them to trust them.

Karma get your mind out of the gutter. The young lady is about to tell any tales here.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 27 (view)

Tips for an Athiest who will be attending midnight mass with bf & parents
Posted: 1/8/2010 11:31:49 AM

If I'm lucky enough to share every christmas eve with him for the rest of my life, I would happily do it the same way every year.

I'm glad everything went just fine. Good luck to you.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 1/7/2010 10:38:19 PM
Elvis Costello - What's so funny?"

So where are the strong?
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.

Youtube - watch?v=-3ZXdvN3orA
 Fort Garry Dark

Blue Moon
Posted: 12/30/2009 12:25:24 PM

I heard long time ago on a talk radio, you look at the moon and say..

blue moon, blue moon, blue moon
fill her up, fill her up, fill her up.
Then make your wishes silently.

Darn and I went and filled up my tank yesterday! :(

Show ALL Forums