Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Has your motivation to vote in elections changed as you get older?
 African Baobab
Msg: 47 (view)

Has your motivation to vote in elections changed as you get older?
Posted: 5/12/2009 1:13:38 PM
Today is Election Day in British Columbia. So far there has been no AK47 gunfire, no cavalcades, no police or army helicopters, no pre printed ballots. It's unlike any election I have ever seen before.

Am I motivated to vote? Hells ya ... I do it because I can. Because its my right as a Canadian, because my mother, grandmother, and grandfather didn't have that right. Each time I enter a polling station, I honor my ancestors who didn't have the opportunities me and my children have today.

Go for it! I envy your peaceful democracy and that fact that you can vote and peacefuly exercise the only way that most people will ever be able to use to let politians and goverments know what they want.
 African Baobab
Msg: 19 (view)

If we had tails!
Posted: 5/6/2009 4:12:19 PM
A lot more wine glasses would get wagged off the top of side tables.
 African Baobab
Msg: 5 (view)

Coffee Whole Bean Junkies
Posted: 5/6/2009 4:08:50 PM
In the Loops Zacks Kenya AA makes my day.

You should only whisper the word "beans" around here or else you could set Ms Fartsalot off again. Sssssssssssssh!
 African Baobab
Msg: 21 (view)

Social Anxiety
Posted: 5/2/2009 9:43:48 AM
Too bad. You could have meet Kitty and a whole bunch of other really nice POF people I am told.
 African Baobab
Msg: 52 (view)

Using condoms that have expired
Posted: 5/1/2009 5:06:58 PM

It is prefurable to use condoms that have expired, rather than, useing women that have expired.

Yeah! I hear necrophilia is dead boring.
 African Baobab
Msg: 11 (view)

Social Anxiety
Posted: 5/1/2009 4:42:33 PM
Puuuuurrfect!

Bum Fluffy, do you want to go to the POF pool night in New West on Fridays?
 African Baobab
Msg: 84 (view)

Ever wonder...
Posted: 5/1/2009 3:31:15 PM
^^^^^^
I see that pesky little Elf has been poking through my library again.

I wonder if you would be interested to know that the Vogons have a big doo on this weekend but the Azgoths of Kria have shown interest. That is definitely one step up on the Vogon’s. In fact they are looking for a new leader since their poet master Grunthos the Flatulent died while reciting his twelve-book epic My Favorite Bath Time Gurgles. At a previous recital by Grunthos the Flatulent of his poem, Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in my Armpit One Midsummer Morning, four of his audience died of internal haemorrhaging, but the President of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobbling Council survived by gnawing one of his own legs off.

I wonder if Ms Fartsalot and Grunthos the Flatulent are related? They both have the same interest in poetry and similar names………..
 African Baobab
Msg: 6 (view)

Social Anxiety
Posted: 5/1/2009 3:26:35 PM
Kitty do you have a local Toastmasters Club in your area? I know that is a really scary thought but sometimes dealing with people as an “audience’ rather than having to engage with them personally can be easier and help develop your confidence over time.
 African Baobab
Msg: 25 (view)

Specific and confusing flirting situation
Posted: 5/1/2009 3:13:58 PM
quote] It’s like making a fire. He's the steel, she's the flint, bang them together a few times, you'll get a spark. If the spark develops into a flame, you've got fire. So easy, even a caveman can do it!

Friendleebear you are a riot! I am sending the fire brigade over with a bucket of water.

But I totally agree with Kitty. I have male friendships that I have had for over 25 years. These friendships are exactly that, friendships, they are never going to go beyond friendship and there is nothing wrong with that. But if you want more that with this particular person and it’s not happening for you and you are in a burning hurry, just move on. Stop torturing yourself.
 African Baobab
Msg: 55 (view)

Swine Flu Outbreak
Posted: 5/1/2009 11:38:51 AM
I have often wondered if there is a correlation between the severity of a situation and the amount of time it takes for the jokes to start on the international circuit. Here are two that I received on swine flu this morning:

There is a snoutbreak of swine flu in Manitoba......

You know you have swine flu by the rashers all over your body.....
 African Baobab
Msg: 36 (view)

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?
Posted: 5/1/2009 10:48:36 AM
Good fences build good neighbours - It's a poem by Robert Frost, honest.
 African Baobab
Msg: 80 (view)

Ever wonder...
Posted: 5/1/2009 8:59:10 AM
I wonder where the block thread went? It’s rather like sleeping through an air raid and waking up in the morning and seeing what is left.

I wonder if Debra’s virtual band would have been ready to play at the block party.

I wonder if Bum Fluff will come back. His tail talk was about to go down in the 'anils of history'.

I wonder if Ms Fartsalot would have brought her beans to the block party. She was working on some very fine “Ode to a Bean” poetry last night. She could have given a recital at the party.

I wonder if maybe I should go and speak to the Vogons and ask if she give her recital to them instead…………….
 African Baobab
Msg: 301 (view)

What are your fave movie quotes?
Posted: 4/30/2009 9:41:49 PM
"I'll be baak."
 African Baobab
Msg: 216 (view)

What do you find beautiful?
Posted: 4/30/2009 9:36:02 PM

Fluffy pink bunnies, don't forget fluffy pink bunnies and teddy bears....

Yo hoo! Hey Scootch!

You, PhatFat the WaterRat, fluffy pink bunnies and teddy bears, the camper. Just beautiful!
 African Baobab
Msg: 72 (view)

Hugs! Getting and giving them at Plenty of Fish events.
Posted: 4/30/2009 9:20:40 PM
No more lurking in that chicken suit Mister. You are so busted.

Now shake my hand like a gentleman.
 African Baobab
Msg: 29 (view)

Posted: 4/30/2009 6:26:37 PM
One ought to remember when messing with dragons that thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
 African Baobab
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 4/29/2009 3:16:08 PM
I have been very fortunate to have had several mentors over my life time that have dispensed some very valuable advice.

For example, don’t go to court over a principle, only ever go over money because if you loose you will have lost nothing important. I didn’t take this advice, it was an expensive lesson.

I was also advised, out in the bush, not to sit on a rock because there was a snake under it. I guess I would have learnt who my friends were pretty quickly, had I not taken that advice.

And then somebody yelled, duck! But the least said about that the better ……

African Baobab

Specific and confusing flirting situation
Posted: 4/29/2009 1:53:32 PM
Jip! Honesty is the best policy. Go for it and just ask. The worse thing she is going to do is say no - we no longer shoot people for asking questions. (Well not in real life that is, but the threads, now that is different).

Hmmmm Skootch. I don’t know if you should be giving "how too" advice after your last thread. I think that you might find the pile of rocks and the throwers that go with them follow you over here. I hope you have your hard hat with you.

Takes laptop outside into the sun, pulls up deck chair, cracks a cider and settles in for the show. Life she is good!

African Baobab
Msg: 34 (view)

The things you hold firm and will not change.
Posted: 4/28/2009 12:31:45 PM
BumFluff, sticking you head in the sand, would that be the ASS-trich syndrome?

I hold firm on my belief that lentils lead to flatulance and nobody will make me change my mind.

Yes, even organic lentils, before you ask.
 African Baobab
Msg: 28 (view)

Our World
Posted: 4/28/2009 12:18:47 PM
Does the ark have any pigs on it?
 African Baobab
Msg: 5 (view)

Do YOU have spring fever yet?
Posted: 4/28/2009 12:15:12 PM
Help! What indigenous plants should I be planting to attract humming birds? I would appreciate some help on this.

I would also like some directions towards good local bird identification books; I am looking for books that give I.D, habitat, location and food sources. I am also looking for one on flowering indigenous plants? What are you using? I would appreciate some advice. I feel a little lost because your flora and fauna are so totally different in the Northern Hemisphere.
 African Baobab
Msg: 46 (view)

commercials that set ya off!
Posted: 4/28/2009 12:05:22 PM
Canadian adverts I like the diamonds or square shreddies advert, it doesn’t even have to be on TV could be on a billboard we are driving past. It has my nieces and nephew yelling as loudly as they can to out do each other screaming their personal choice of diamond or square. I enjoy it, its really stilly and huge fun, we have had a lot of mileage out of it.

South African Nandos chicken adverts are always controversial and topical, some of the political satire has been superb. You can check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuIZ0sin80c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Aq042KPSg
 African Baobab
Msg: 210 (view)

What do you find beautiful?
Posted: 4/28/2009 11:47:02 AM
Took a long and lazy road trip over the last long weekend. You know those long road trips when your bones melt into the seats you drive so long? .Travelled from the Loops to Vernon – Winfield – Kelowna – Summerland – Narmada – Penticton where we spent the night then on through Okanagan Falls – Oliver – Osseous – Trail – Roseland – Castellan – Nelson – Slocan – Nikos. Spent the night at Nikos, I loved the ferry crossing, which was worth the trip all on its own. Then back through Revelstoke to the Loops.

I have said it before and I am sure I will say it at least once more before I leave Canada, my but your land is beautiful. The natural beauty is astounding and has an emotional beauty all of its own. What fortunate people you are to have all of this right on your doorstep.
 African Baobab
Msg: 39 (view)

Swine Flu Outbreak
Posted: 4/28/2009 11:30:10 AM
“Our numbers may dwindle as many will succumb to the disease and others will adapt to become stronger provided we can maintain out necessary nutrition input. Any weakening factor such as lack of nutrition will give a disease the upper hand. Obviously our mobility (travel) will aid in the distribution of a disease as will the way the disease is transmitted.”

On a much brighter note: If one of super viruses misses you there is always global warming. How long can you tread water?

African Baobab
Msg: 9 (view)

Swine Flu Outbreak
Posted: 4/26/2009 9:35:48 PM
"I am not suggesting that I am not willing to go."

Go where?

"George Orwell once said that one of the ultimate horror would be half of the world starving while the other half watches on TV. The only thing is more than half the world is starving and a smaller percentage is watching."

George was right. The only problem is the smaller percentage that are watching have become so dumned down they can no longer tell the difference between real drama and reality shows. Even the news is considered infotainment.

"Do you think if I called myself AfrikaXav it would be easier for me to write about these things?"

Not at all. Neither name changing nor name calling can challenge ignorance, but being aware on what is happening in the rest of the world and reading and following world news on TV can, and it can certainly deepen the levels of the discussion.

"Maybe it easier to talk about lentils and flatulence. What do you think? "

Both lentils and flatulance have their place.
 African Baobab

Swine Flu Outbreak
Posted: 4/26/2009 8:52:04 PM

At the same time, the world is overpopulated and really dirty in some places. It is amazing that there is not some sort of pandemic.

There is and it is killing millions, just not right under your nose, so it’s easy and convenient to forget about the millions that are suffer a long, slow and painful death. It’s called AIDS.

Also, there are far too many people in parts of the world. The earth cannot sustain us all. I am not sure but I think we need to lose several thousand people. I would prefer nature to step in than a war.

What a wonderful and ignorant world we live in when we can intellectualise something like this in a very detached and remote way and forget the majority of the world’s population have to live daily with both pandemics and war? It is not a parlour game or a choice for them. What a luxury to be able to discuss this in such a way that we can imagine and play God.

African Baobab
Msg: 64 (view)

Ever wonder...
Posted: 4/24/2009 11:02:19 AM
I AM a girl. I can write my name in the snow and even go back and cross the T's.

You envious?

Since I drive past it every day, I wonder if Trophyboyfriend lives on Trophy Crescent?
 African Baobab
Msg: 40 (view)

Women issues.
Posted: 4/23/2009 8:07:32 PM

What the heck is "rhino style sex"?
Will I learn the truth on Discovery Channel or do I need to visit a zoo, or go to Africa?

You called?

You could call the Krat brothers, since they are in the back yard.

I don’t know though, sex with a twin horned endangered species could be quite delicate. Then again, would that be a white rhino or a black rhino, their behaviour is completely different. Maybe you should drag this over to the race thread?

My brother had issues with a female rhino; he was working as a game ranger in Botswana and came across a female rhino when he was out in the bush. She was wondering around squeaking, so he mimicked her in answer and she squeaked back. The squeaking went on for a while then she came over to the vehicle and rubbed herself against it, destroying paint and bodywork. In fact she practically destroyed all of the bodywork of the vehicle in her excitement. My brother managed to drive away eventually with her in hot pursuit. I have not heard him squeak back at anything since, including his wife, I guess he had his fill of amorous rhinos.
 African Baobab
Msg: 7 (view)

The squid are taking over!!!!
Posted: 4/23/2009 12:24:28 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm. And squid eat small fish and plankton.

Soylent Green anyone?
 African Baobab
Msg: 49 (view)

Small Claims Court
Posted: 4/22/2009 6:50:36 PM
Kitty congratulations! Your hard work and persistence has paid off. As they say at my neck of the woods, with much admiration, you are a Mamba.

(And dang, before you ask that's from the African side of the woods and not my newly discovered redneck roots.)

African Baobab
Msg: 44 (view)

Small Claims Court
Posted: 4/21/2009 3:49:41 PM
Hellokitty glad to hear that things seem to be going better for you on this issue.

Barking with the big dogs works pretty well, at least they are able to make decisions. Remember you can also go over his head if you need to and go higher up the tree but it is in his interest to sort this out for you amicably.

Work with him and negotiate it out and you will come right.
 African Baobab
Msg: 14 (view)

Telephone harassment by candidates in Election 2008
Posted: 4/21/2009 3:40:54 PM
Nobody has harassed me by phone yet. I am eagerly sitting next to the phone waiting
 African Baobab
Msg: 89 (view)

Your eyes tell so much about you
Posted: 4/21/2009 3:38:02 PM
"I had to look at the bag and learned she was a Yukon Gold... potato."

A fellow veggie.

Your a chip off the old block Cetsahummer. I’m keeping my eye on you.
 African Baobab
Msg: 62 (view)

Did you, or can you have a good relationship with a narcissist?
Posted: 4/21/2009 3:30:15 PM
"Did you, or can you have a good relationship with a narcissist?"

Not if it means I have to put down my mirror in order to do so.
 African Baobab
Msg: 8 (view)

men with long hair?
Posted: 4/18/2009 8:58:53 AM
Well looked after longhair rocks!

But listen to Raiderfan, she has laid it out for you.
 African Baobab
Msg: 40 (view)

Touching....what are the rules?
Posted: 4/18/2009 8:53:05 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^“What "Signals" do we need to recognize?”

If you can get through the six rings of barded wire, the crocodile infested moat, the claymores, manage to touch my mind with your wit and humour and our electronic barcodes match. You still want to wait for a signal?
 African Baobab
Msg: 82 (view)

Your eyes tell so much about you
Posted: 4/18/2009 8:37:55 AM
I love these threads. First it was what my couch was saying about me (I chopped it up for firewood), then I found out my pets had plenty to say about me (I sent them to the SPCA). Now I find out that my eyes have been telling you all about me.(Noooooooooow!). Frankly I am sick to death of all of this subterfuge. Just ask me yourself.
 African Baobab
Msg: 3 (view)

Small Claims Court
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:55:33 PM
Negotiation beats litigation every time.

It might be better if you explored every avenue to negotiate out the problem even if you use a mediator or attorney to speak on your behalf before you get near a court.
 African Baobab
Msg: 12 (view)

not redundant last pst 2 yrs ago= jerks
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:48:06 PM
I heard that there was a glass of whine on the go in this thread.
 African Baobab
Msg: 11 (view)

I really WANT your opinion. No reply will go unappreciated.
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:46:14 PM
"What do you gals think about and what do you feel when you first click on a guys profile... for the first time if I didn't make that clear already?"

You obviously didn’t read the disclaimer as you signed on because if you had you would know that you agreed to totally suspend all thought and feeling the moment you did.
 African Baobab
Msg: 10 (view)

Women in groups, how to approach 1
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:30:10 PM
Tricky, very, very tricky! What you need is a large butterfly net, then sneak up on the group and wait patiently, poised ready to pounce. The moment the green light starts flashing on the lady of your choices forehead – pounce. And there you have it, capture complete.
 African Baobab
Msg: 85 (view)

dateing an older woman.
Posted: 4/15/2009 2:30:48 PM
If she is friends with your mother then don’t even try. If not, all is fair in love and war and even if the only thing she does is roll around of the floor laughing asking you if you are serious, you will have made her day.
 African Baobab
Msg: 25 (view)

How long did it take you to stop looking at profiles/message ppl and just go forums?
Posted: 4/15/2009 2:20:57 PM
About 3.2 seconds and that includes the time it took to make the cup of coffee that I belly up to my pee cee with to read this stuff.
 African Baobab
Msg: 65 (view)

Should I just be a lesbian?
Posted: 4/15/2009 2:18:45 PM
Ahmm, the OP has long since left the room. The purpose for resurrecting this thread is...?
 African Baobab
Msg: 14 (view)

Am I Wrong??
Posted: 4/15/2009 1:42:25 PM
Nothing wrong with talking to her, just dont send any money EVER. No matter how good the story is.
 African Baobab
Msg: 217 (view)

People, of our age, alone...what do our pets say about us?
Posted: 4/15/2009 1:23:27 PM
I have threatened mine with a trip to the SPCA if they say anything bad about me.
 African Baobab
Msg: 66 (view)

hardest life lesson...
Posted: 4/15/2009 12:51:01 PM
Learning that no matter how much you willed it or how much work you would do to fix it, that some things are completely and irretrievably broken and cannot be fixed, no matter what you do. The difficulty comes in discerning when something is broken, at what point to try and fix it and at what point to walk away.
 African Baobab
Msg: 10 (view)

Largest Wal Mart in Canada being built in Victoria
Posted: 4/15/2009 12:30:26 PM
“Does anyone have a link to any animations that might show what it's going to be like when it's done?” No sorry.

I can’t think of anything worse than a giant Wal-Mart. Number one: I HATE shopping. Number two: One of the reasons I hate shopping is having to deal with the obnoxious people who work there and Wal-Mart employees seem to have specialist training at surly school.

Bring back the local Mom and Pop stores please!
 African Baobab
Msg: 4 (view)

I am sick, but why are you running away?
Posted: 4/15/2009 12:22:40 PM
Have you asked him? Could be that he is so used to you being independent and getting on with things that he has no idea that you’d like a little TLC right now.
 African Baobab

Instant Messaging Feature Disabled
Posted: 4/15/2009 12:16:11 PM
Good riddance. It was just an annoying intrusion anyway.

Show ALL Forums