Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Reaching a new trend in music?
 twill348
Msg: 11 (view)

Reaching a new trend in music?
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:36:15 PM
Trends I see:

The women have it, they have it waxed, wrapped up, in the bank, whatever. I bought my first CD by a guy in ages tonight, and I thought it was a woman! (Passion Pit, very, very good). And I heard it at Barnes and Noble.

The new artists, and producers, have grown up with electronic sounds, and can now incorporate those sounds inot their music without it sounding "electronic". Katey Perry's album is a good example, all kinds of effects, but it's still good music. The attention to detail is amazing. Same with Lady Gaga. Peaches latest is awsome as well.

The new sound came together for me, while I was watching the tv show "Las Vegas". They always had a band on, and it was very instructive. Big sound, big production, is the new thing.

It's easier for artists to hook up. Brandi Carlisle hooked up with Elton John, and more importantly, Elton Johns arranger. Big improvement for her.

A bad trend, rip-off mp'3s. At lossless prices, too.
 twill348
Msg: 10 (view)

Reaching a new trend in music?
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:20:23 PM
"if something like lady gaga can sell records, there isn't much future for creativity.... "

Lady Gaga ROCKS!!

Contemporize, dude! Her album is very, very good.
 twill348

Wither the CD?
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:14:44 PM
Downloads are a rip-off, they are all in the mp3 format, or the Crapple equivalant. Cd gives you the lossless files. Really, compare a CD song to the mp3, the mp3 is dog crap.
 twill348
Msg: 28 (view)

First-time home buyer.......what is the first step that I need to take??
Posted: 2/6/2010 9:22:58 PM
"justwantono, sorry but you are incorrect. my agent represented both seller and buyer and cut my commision for it. maybe it varies by state law. "

Where, when? I think you got that wrong. No one can represent both parties, when there are competing interests.
 twill348
Msg: 17 (view)

Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/3/2010 5:46:38 PM
I have had good luck with Tri-Flow, a teflon lube.
 Twill348
Msg: 8 (view)

Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/4/2010 4:21:38 PM
"If the distance between A and B gets bigger, time slows down to keep the speed of light constant."

Uhhh, how so?

If A to B increases, the photons take longer to get there. The speed of light is unaffected.

As for time, concepts are unaffected by distance.
 twill348
Msg: 117 (view)

Are we working contrary to evolution as a species?
Posted: 12/30/2009 6:50:49 PM
"So, I would have to speculate, that this is not what our Earthly Existence is about, and would say it possibly follows my beliefs about this Earth School being more for our spiritual development."

Yeah, cause that's how we train kids, by throwing them into a world where every living thing eats every other living thing alive. Fun!! VERY spiritual!! :)
 twill348
Msg: 6 (view)

Time is slowing down
Posted: 12/29/2009 8:00:39 PM
Then I would say, the fact that the universe is expanding, does not mean that the length of my driveway is expanding. Point A to point B does not increase, if they are both in my driveway.
 twill348

Mexico Asks UN for Troops
Posted: 12/26/2009 1:35:51 PM
Mexico can take care of it's own problems. Probably time for another revolution down there.

All this blood is on the hands of those who would make drugs illegal. You are all murderers by proxy. Deny people their human right, to do with there money as they will, harming no one, and this is what you get. I would like to kill each and every one of you self righteous pricks with my bare hands. I could squeeze every last bit of compassion and sense out of every one of you, and get not a drop.

Might be time for a revolution up here, too.
 twill348
Msg: 5 (view)

Time is slowing down
Posted: 12/26/2009 1:12:51 PM
Not an expert, but...

Photons experience time at the same rate we all do- 1 sec/per sec.

It takes the same amount of time for me to get from the top of my driveway, to the bottom, no matter how big the universe is today.
 twill348
Msg: 29 (view)

The lightyear-long rod problem
Posted: 11/28/2009 6:59:31 PM
"All these toys use methods to pressurise the water and not the air to force out the water, the super soaker is the one I play with...with my kids of course."

Ah, but before you used the word "compressed". Pressurised is different.

I am confused by your position on water in brake lines:

"When the brake fluid boils -- especially when there is excessive water in the system -- steam is a by-product. The braking system ultimately compresses this steam and turns it into water. The air separates from the water and before you know it, you have large pockets of air in your brake lines."

I have never heard of the inate compressability of water casing problems, just the generation of air by the boiling.

I have never seen any system that uses compressed water to do anything, but I have seen many systems that use compressed gas to do all sorts of things.
 Twill348
Msg: 19 (view)

The lightyear-long rod problem
Posted: 11/25/2009 4:40:32 PM
"That's why it didn't make sense for Twinki to backpedal with "ohhhhh you were talking about compressible bodies? I thought you meant noncompressible ones".

Thought experiments often have objects with non-real, ideal propertys. You are the one who screwed up, you did not phrase the question correctly.

I would say, the answer, in the real universe, is unknown..a good illustration of the limits of mathematical reasoning. We need to actually build a light year rod to find out the answer. The same as, how the trajectories of the Pioneer spacecraft are just slightly off...we have to go there, to find out for sure.
 Twill348
Msg: 23 (view)

Evan Chandler Commits Suicide
Posted: 11/21/2009 7:43:21 AM
"If it's implied, then it's open to discussion isn't it? mungojoe, it's your turn to "see above", as in my last 2 sentences. I have as much of a right to my opinion as you do. If MJ's acquittal means "case closed" to you, have a nice day. I have no desire to get into a pissing match with you or anyone else here, thank you very much."

You are conflating a legal definition, with an individual opinion. Any individual can have any opinion, but that opinion, carries no legal weight.

You stated, that MJ was not found innocent by a court. That statement is incorrect, in the legal framework. He WAS found "innocent".

Some would take this legal definition and run with it...that is up to them. But your statement, was legally incorrect.
 Twill348
Msg: 4 (view)

Take back control of our taxes
Posted: 11/21/2009 7:36:10 AM
"In your post, you've lost sight of the fact that the people making the decisions are those that have been elected by you... the people. I'm more likely to be part of a legal protest than to take part in something of this nature..."

Wrong on so many levels.

For instance: "In your post, you've lost sight of the fact that the the King is your appointed Sovereign, and therefore, your Godly ruler...over the people. I'm more likely to be part of a legal protest than to take part in something of this nature...

I'm sure you were a big help during the revolution!

"Legal" only gets you so far. The ratification of the Us Constitution, for instance, was an illegal act, punishable by death.

The elections are rigged, the laws oppress rather than help. Do you really think the powers that be will just stand aside while you take away their rice bowl? There comes a time, when violence is the only option, and overthrow is the only thing that can work.
 Twill348
Msg: 14 (view)

College- A Dream Deferred.. Once Again, Penalizing the Poor
Posted: 11/21/2009 7:25:58 AM
'It's all about the student, stop blaming the school. "

Sheez. Lame. It takes two to dance.

Or: It's all about the junkies, don't blame the pusher. It's all about the johns, don't blame the pimp!

The schools are pimps, opushing a product just like any other business. no morality involved.
That contract you signed is worthless. If they go out of business, or just can't aford you in a year? What then? Life is not certain.
 Twill348

Evan Chandler Commits Suicide
Posted: 11/20/2009 8:29:31 PM
"ACQUIT: (uh – kwit)
1. to relieve from a charge of fault or crime. (The jury acquitted her, but I still think she's guilty.)
2. to release or discharge a person from an obligation.
3. to settle or satisfy (a debt, obligation, claim, etc.)
4. to free or clear oneself: He acquitted himself of suspicion.

Anyone spot the word INNOCENT anywhere in this definition? I don't."

Depends. What country you in? The innocence is implied.

In America, one is PRESUMED innocent before conviction. Therefore, an acquittal, is, indeed, a return to the state of innocence. Therefore, MJ was found innocent. This is Amercican law, other countries just hang you. :)
 Twill348

College- A Dream Deferred.. Once Again, Penalizing the Poor
Posted: 11/20/2009 8:21:44 PM
College, education, is still in a bubble right now, been overpriced for years. Since the endowments are not paying right now, YOU get too!

Four year schools are a rip off anyways, way more hat than ranch. The lack of degrees for the middle class, will only show how stupid and useless most degrees are anyways. :)

Add to that, that technology is making a lot of jobs obsolete, and lack of education of people who can't find work anyways is not that pressing a problem.
 Twill348
Msg: 40 (view)

How can you prove soul exists after death?
Posted: 11/20/2009 8:06:42 PM
You need to define life, then death, then soul.

But some reasoning can help.

For decades now, scientists have been trying to create life, by mixing up all the crap on the planet millions of years ago is a tube, then waiting for a politician to come crawling out.

It ain't worked.

It could be, that there is more to this life thing, than just chemistry. Something we don't know about. Just a thought.

You know, just because one may survive death, does not mean happy happy joy joy. All the communication with the dead so far, shows them to be in a state of brainless, babbling idiocy, and that's on a good day.
 Twill348

Is it Time to Bring the Troops Home?
Posted: 10/30/2009 10:35:54 PM
"So you dimiss the fact that Pakistan has over 100 nuclear weapons as a component? "

On 9.10, it seemed not to matter at all! Now, since the military is desperatly seeking any excuse to stay in Afghanistan, it's NUCLEAR WAR!!!!

Always start with the premise that the General is lying.

"So it's emotional? At least that relieves us of having to make rational decisions "

Since when is emotion not rational? We live in a world, governed by emotional human beings. To ignore emotion, would, be, irrational. Or do you think, that the military guys watched the 9.11 attacks, with the thought, "Gee, this is really gonna totally screw up my weekend"? Are the jihadists not motivated by emotion?
 twill348
Msg: 8 (view)

Is it Time to Bring the Troops Home?
Posted: 10/29/2009 8:13:14 PM
Looking at it as rationally as possible, time to clear out.

So, why does the military want to stay? It seems irrational.

Perhaps, it's not so irrational, as emotional.

9/11 happened on the current militarys watch. It is a stain on their honor.

To expunge that stain, every Taliban, and every Al Quaeda, must die.

Since that is not possible, the military needs to do the next best thing, stay in Afghanistan, the nation that launced the attack, for a generation, so that none of the Taliban can return in their lifetimes. They will die in exile, hunted, living in caves.

This, I beleive, is much of the militarys reason for staying to fight in Afghanistan. So of course, it looks irrational.

There is another componenent, and that is China, and communism. The Afghanistan occupation is also very much a covert action against China. Or, at least, to keep an eye on China, and help certain people in China, who want the communists to go away. It's convenient. It's also an unresolved issue, from the Vietnam war, which was also really a war about China. The US won that war (oh, you thought we LOST? :) ), so certain people may try the tactic again.

I predict, Obama will move towards a withdrawal...and then...something...will happen, to make that withdrawal impossible for the short term. This will happen again and again. It will be a kind of coup, the military simply will not leave. It's emotional.
 twill348

Fear of Generic Pop Music Taking Over...
Posted: 10/2/2009 10:12:19 PM
I forced myself to listen to pop radio for a while a year ago, and I'm glad I did. It's not so bad, if you are lucky enough to find a station you can stand.

I never would have heard of Katey Perry, Lady Gaga, otherwise. Tha's some good music. The rest just goes in one ear and out the other. :)
 Twill348
Msg: 33 (view)

Kola Superdeep Borehole aka (Well to Hell legend)
Posted: 9/12/2009 10:26:10 PM
"We do now have electromagnetic heat shields,"

We do? I can find nothing about this on the web, do you have a source?
 Twill348
Msg: 13 (view)

Colloidal silver
Posted: 8/20/2009 3:29:39 PM
There is mild silver protein, which is used for an eye wash for newborns, and any topical treatment for infections or sores. So much for silver "not working".

Best water filter I ever had, was one with a silver disc, that was one fine filter.

I heard a guy on the radio, years ago, selling MSP (mild silver protein). The particles in colloidial silver are too big, the ones in MSP are bonded to a protein, making it MUCH smaller. Smaller is better. Anyone know where I can get MSP?
 twill348

I could use a good mathematician here...
Posted: 6/19/2009 2:40:29 PM
"Start at the North pole. Head due South in a straight line for 100 miles. Make a right turn 90 degrees. Continue for 100 mile and make a right turn 90 degrees. You should now be heading north for 100 miles to a place where you originated from. You just made a triangle with more than 180 degrees in it. "

Not an expert, but I don't think thats right. It depends on how you define "triangle".
 twill348
Msg: 9 (view)

I could use a good mathematician here...
Posted: 6/19/2009 2:34:26 PM
"And as an addendum, speaking of dimensions, how many are there beyond the obvious 4"

What is a dimension? If you can define that, then perhaps the question can be answered.

There are qualites, realities, of existence, that some have labled as "dimensions". But those are concepts, not realities. The word dimension is a description, it is not the being, the totality. Hence, I would posit it to be a meaningless question, in this context.

In other words, please show me the beach ball that is missing a dimension.

Also, people often confuse "dimension" with a row of data in a database.
 twill348
Msg: 80 (view)

Are we our body or our mind?
Posted: 6/16/2009 5:56:54 PM
The link you posted:
"Lasers Used To Induce Gamma Brain Waves In Mice"

It's an article about using light to stimulate neurons.

So, what's your point? Because the article has nothing to do with what you were posting about, although it does lend a false aura of authority. Emphasis on false.

the other links are obvous BS. I read REAL SCIENCE. You should try it!! :)
 twill348
Msg: 77 (view)

Posted: 6/15/2009 5:46:18 PM
"Science has now proven that consciousness happens in a much higher vibrational medium than the physical/material mass of the body. "

Really? Can you show me where it says that, like, on Science Daily? Cause I read it every day, and I missed that.
 Twill348

Prophesies and Predictions
Posted: 6/12/2009 8:57:06 PM
People will stop beleiving in global warming and start beleiving in the next incredibly stupid thing.

Increasingly, econmic problems will be shown to be the problem of too many people for too few jobs. An economic system based on growth will become unworkable.

The notion that work is needed for self worth, will fade away. Most people will not be able to produce anything, leading to all sorts of social problems.

A minimum standard of living will be established in the developed countries. Borders will be closed. Those nations that do not close their borders will cease to exist as nations.

In the developed countries, IQ will raise 50 points on average, due to new medical advances.

True, self aware AI, based on brains on a chip.

Troops will not be sent abroad to fight wars; rather, missles will be sent, with targeting information supplied when needed. National security will become something you can buy. Wars will be short and horrific.

The Islamic problem will fade away, too few young men will be born to Islamic nations to keep up the supply to the cause.

Some Arab, or Muslim, countries, will accelerate away from the others, and the others will be horrible examples of backwardness and depravity, even worse than, say, New York or California.

An explosion of options for the energy problem, which will also fade away, seen as the greatest example of mass panic over nothing in modern times.

Bullets that can take out a room, hand grenades that can destroy a city block. Conventional missles as lethal as nuclear.

Planet wide, interferomic waveweapons, able to destroy anything anywhere instantly.

Better shampoo.

A cure for most cancers.

Magnetic transmission of electricity, planet wide, recognizing Tesla as the greastest genius ever produced by humanity.

At the end of the Mayan calander, I will laugh so hard.

J.J. Abrams will be killed by outraged Star Trek fans.

No time travel.

No "extra" dimensions discovered.

Digital computers will be seen as toys, analog computers will be all the rage.

Communication with the dead, will be established, but discovered to be useless and futile. Death will be feared even more, as the death of intellect, except for J. J. Abrams, whose intellect died while he was alive. Immortality will be the goal of the next century.
 Twill348
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 6/12/2009 8:14:16 PM
"Does this mean they're gonna outlaw private central banks and introduce (finally!) a social credit monetary system ?"

Well, that's how they do it on Jupter! :)

On the other hand, they also have kids fend for themselves until age 15, so maybe not.
 Twill348
Msg: 58 (view)

Posted: 6/12/2009 7:56:22 PM
"We have to consider the possibility that one's body is an illusion, as is the illusion of self. How could we possibly know that we aren't only software running in a virtual reality simulation in a computer somewhere in "reality" {or inside yet another simulation (nested virtual realities)}

In point of fact, we would never know whether or not what we consider body & mind , or what we consider "life" & "soul" are any more than a series of bits (or qubits) being processed. Seen from this (plausible) perspective, one is forced to consider whether or not we exist at all."

We would not know, until "God" told us so.

BUT...we WOULD know, that there is a reality, an ultimate reality, that contained that computer that we are "running" on, and stuff, and that we are still a small part of that reality. So, I don't think this scenario really proves anything, since reality is still real, even if our experiences are not!

In adition, thee seems to be the notion floating around, that computers have "copys" of things inside them. This is wrong, a misunderstanding of how computers work. Suffice to say, there are no "copys" of anything, in any compurter on this planet, unless they have "magic boxes" I'm not aware of yet.

To Art: You are much more patient than I. I ran out of pearls to cast before swine a long time ago! :)
 Twill348

Posted: 6/12/2009 4:28:50 PM
Cancer in mice will be found to be caused by men in white lab coats.
 Twill348
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 6/12/2009 4:26:10 PM
"In addition to that, our society has developed in an unsustainable way and I think we are starting to reach the breaking point of how long you can exist with poorly built systems. Instead of fixing our systems, we have created more and more and more rules to try to compensate for their faults instead of dealing with the actual problems. "

This is because, in a time of rapid scientific progress, it makes no sense at all to fix existing systems. Better to use them to failure, then build a new, better system. So your point is wrong, this is a sign of adaptability, not failure.
 twill348

How Good Do You Have To Be To Get Into Heaven?
Posted: 6/11/2009 3:38:42 PM
The question is kinda meaningless, because we don't know anything about Heaven.

According to the Bible, EVERYONE gets into Heaven, if they repent, at the last Judgement. So it's easy to get in. The question is, into what?

Heaven must have status levels, so if your just scape in, you get a crappy job and no pay. But, if your great, your'e rich, and don't have to work! Otherwise, what is this useless, stupid existence for?
 Twill348

Is morality a product of evolution?
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:30:44 PM
"The article also points out: The review also shoots down the idea that religion is necessary to make people choose to engage in altruistic behavior — or do something that benefits others at your own personal expense. Religion has no monopoly on good behavior."

That sounds prety iffy. Where did they find the "religion free" humans to study this on? Sounds like overreach.
 Twill348
Msg: 18 (view)

Natural Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrom
Posted: 6/2/2009 3:09:12 PM
Check out the SHINE protocol, by Jacob Teitelbaum.

Second the candida theory...heard this guy on the radio, says that folks who take the SHINE for sinus problems, also get cured for IBS.
 Twill348
Msg: 9 (view)

any suggestions to get rid of tennis /golfers elbow
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:42:03 PM
Hyaluronic acid. Get the NOW brand, it's cheap and good. (Quality matters in this stuff)Be sure to take it for at least a month.

Hyaluronic acid is the clear fluid in your eyes and joints, provides the cushioning.
 Twill348

Most adults never develop intellectually past teenagers.
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:34:26 PM
"A human today does not reach full intellectual maturity until the age of about 25 years old"

I read that it was 35, concerning the abilty to predict how others will react to something you may do. Coincidentally, you can't be President (US) till your...35!
 twill348
Msg: 41 (view)

Advertisement for Black Dating Site
Posted: 5/12/2009 7:20:52 PM
"The primary reason for a Black dating site (which BTW OP..isn't only for Blacks) is that White people have decided that they won't date Blacks because of their skin color.
Imagine that?"

Nonsense. Were you at the meeting? I did not hear "point of order" from your corner! You need to attend the rallys more often!
 twill348
Msg: 39 (view)

Posted: 5/12/2009 7:18:33 PM
"A month after the city won a discrimination lawsuit against a "Men Only" gym, a "Women Only" gym opened up less than 3 blocks from the site of the (now permanently closed) "Men Only" gym.

Justice isn't always fair. "

It depends on the law. I know a guy, very slight, worked out on the light machines. But then the club put in a "ladies" room, and put his machine in there. So he went in there to work out. The ladies complained...too bad for them, a letter from a lawyer straightened that right out, not legal in that state! It can work both ways.
 twill348
Msg: 38 (view)

Posted: 5/12/2009 7:12:05 PM
"you're assuming that there is a 50/50 split in races in this country, which simply isn't the case. any dating site is primarily white, because this country as a whole is primarily white. turn on the tv and look for black tv shows, and you probably won't find many of them... "

WOW, someone doesn't watch much tv!! :)
 twill348
Msg: 57 (view)

Towards an Agnostic Faith
Posted: 5/8/2009 7:12:39 PM
Oops...how did that happen? The page did not refresh! It's not my fault!! WHY GOD, WHHHHYYYY11111
 twill348
Msg: 56 (view)

Posted: 5/8/2009 7:07:26 PM
"Agnosticism seems like the only sane choice. With atheism you build this brick wall around yourself to keep out these little bubbles of religion that keep popping by to ruin your day. Both atheism and theism are types of cages. Only the agnostic dares to straddle the two barriers and declare both to be shells of limitation and captivity."

Seems like you blame religion for everything bad in the world. But what about all the good religion has done?

When the Spanairds conquered South America, they just wanted to work all the natives to death. but the Church intervened, saying that even savages had immortal souls, and thus had to be saved. The Church saved many lives then.

The Church both destroyed and saved Greek philosophy, without which most of us would never have even been born, since science came from the Greeks, along with a system of government that functioned without God, allowing Man to finnaly think for himself. Kudos there!

I see religion more as a natural phenomenon, to be endured until we come up with a pill to cure it. Until then, just apply ointment daily, and keep it under control. Most people are just barely holding on, without the social cohesion that religion provides, they would just go batwhack crazy.

I myself have toyed with inventing a new religion, a step up from the old models we got today.

Unfortunetly...I fear it would mean world war III. Religion is not something you attack head on, you got to work the flanks, and wear it down. SCIENCE is the best way, for now. Keep up the science, the rest will follow.
 twill348
Msg: 55 (view)

Posted: 5/8/2009 7:02:43 PM
"Agnosticism seems like the only sane choice. With atheism you build this brick wall around yourself to keep out these little bubbles of religion that keep popping by to ruin your day. Both atheism and theism are types of cages. Only the agnostic dares to straddle the two barriers and declare both to be shells of limitation and captivity."

Seems like you blame religion for everything bad in the world. But what about all the good religion has done?

When the Spanairds conquered South America, they just wanted to work all the natives to death. but the Church intervened, saying that even savages had immortal souls, and thus had to be saved. The Church saved many lives then.

The Church both destroyed and saved Greek philosophy, without which most of us would never have even been born, since science came from the Greeks, along with a system of government that functioned without God, allowing Man to finnaly think for himself. Kudos there!

I see religion more as a natural phenomenon, to be endured until we come up with a pill to cure it. Until then, just apply ointment daily, and keep it under control. Most people are just barely holding on, without the social cohesion that religion provides, they would just go batwhack crazy.

I myself have toyed with inventing a new religion, a step up from the old models we got today.

Unfortunetly...I fear it would mean world war III. Religion is not something you attack head on, you got to work the flanks, and wear it down. SCIENCE is the best way, for now. Keep up the science, the rest will follow.
 twill348
Msg: 54 (view)

Posted: 5/8/2009 6:47:03 PM
The definition of atheism is that God does NOT exist. It is a positive affirmation about the existence of God.

Lateley, there have been those, who for some reason or other, seem to think that not having a beleif, at all, is equivalent to atheism. I wish they would stop this. A lack of beleif, is not, in any way, a positive affirmation.

I don't know why these people do these things...atheists must be very, very lonely. :)

Please, atheists, stop trying to paint us free thinkers with your atheist brush. We don't belong with you, or stand with you.
 Twill348
Msg: 20 (view)

Jesus was a Socialist
Posted: 5/7/2009 3:46:43 PM
"It always baffles me that so many christians are hard-core capitalists when the religion was founded by someone who was clearly a Socialist/Pacifist. "

What does socialism have to do with Pacifism? Geez, talk about conflation!

"SOCIALIST
"Give to all those who beg from you"
"If someone steals your coat give them your under-coat"
"It's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven"

I don't see the word "socialism there, do you? You are seeing what you want to see, not what is there.

"PACIFIST
"Love those who hate you"
"If someone strikes you, turn the other cheek and let them strike you again"
"Do not resist evil"

Open to interpretation, to say the least. One problem is, since Jesus is not around, no one can ask him what he was smoking that day, or what he really meant by that stuff, since it is insane.

"My question is, how do people justify the whole "Christian right" "Bible and a gun" thing, when it seems to me that Jesus (in all likelihood) would have chased them outta the temple with a big stick"

This is why you need to see what is there, as opposed to what is read into things by your own mind. Your question is valid, just not on this planet.
 Twill348

Sustainable living in modern society
Posted: 5/7/2009 3:37:42 PM
"The Muslims of Muslim Spain (Andalusia) were experts on Greek philosophy, especially Aristotelian philosophy. But they did not see any contradiction between Greek philosophy and religion. Neither did Christian scholars."

Hmmm....this guy says your wrong about that.

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/2495

His point would be, that the Byzantine Christians really preserved the Greek philosophy, and that Muslim interest was peripheral at best. Also, the Muslims ignored Greek governmenteal theory, as it ignored God, and was a government of Man, without God, and was thus blasphemous.

When the Byzantines fled Constantinople, it was because they didn't feel safe being with the Muslims. It could not have been that great a relationship.
 Twill348
Msg: 28 (view)

Posted: 5/7/2009 3:31:44 PM
"So basically what you're getting at is that everything that happened in Europe around that time had nothing to do with the Black Plague and would have happened anyway."

Absoloutly. You know, people dying, is not news. It changes zip. New forms of government, society, that's change you can beleive in! The whole point of the advancement from the Papal states to the Princly states, was to aquire more territory, and tax more people. If anything, the Black death only slowed that process down a bit.
 twill348

Posted: 4/30/2009 5:03:30 PM
""What's clear in English history, is that until the Renaissance, there were a lot of civil wars. The Wars of the Roses, and many others, made it almost impossible to trade, unless goods were protected by private armies. So most trade was done between warlords, who were the nobles of the time. So most people had no money to trade, and could not afford any education either, and only the nobility had trade and education. But as England slowly became ruled stronger and stronger by one king, and those wars were stamped out, it became increasingly less important to have private militia protecting traders, and so more and more ordinary people could trade. By the time of the Renaissance, there was no need for traders to be protected by soldiers. So trade become the most important factor, not military force, and that allowed scientific developments that helped trade to be taken up by more and more traders, and the same was true of scientific developments that helped professions that depended on knowledge, rather than if your family had an army."

But why did that happen? Thee were reasons for that. The King of England did not rule larger areas because he wanted to, he did it because he had to. With each new increase in war making technology, comes a coresponding challenge to the existing governments. They must get the new weapons to survive, and the new weapons cost more. Therfore, kingdoms must expand, to spread the cots of war over larger areas.

In addition, new weapons means new tactics, which may mean more troops are needed, thus, the need for a larger population base, and a loyal one as well.

So, when I said that the Greek scholars came to Italy, I was also meaning that the cannons also were the cause of the renaissance. Without the cannons, the city would not have fallen. Indeed, the cannons made city walls obsolete, making legal and state control of territory esential to security. The Pope could never provide that kind of security.

"and as they conquered the countries that were once ruled by Greece, and still had many Greek manuscripts, these Muslims took great care to preseve them, and understand them. So the Muslims kept the knowledge of the Greeks alive, during the Dark Ages of Europe."

Well, one time a Christian apologist made the claim to me, that Greek philosophy was kept alive by the Christian monks. I suspected that that was not the case! :)
 twill348

Body types and self delusion...
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:41:27 PM
"Stating one's height and weight won't tell the whole story either. First, many will put down a lower number than they actually are and secondly due to weight distribution, bone structure and body fat percentage, two people of the same height and weight can look dramatically different and wear different size clothing. "

Who cares what women look like in clothing?

Height and weight is honest, anything else is code for FAT.
 twill348

The WHY of Gravitation.
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:29:11 PM
An alternative theory to the whole "space/time" nonsense (no one has ever proven the existence of time, at all, other than as a concept in peoples minds) is the quantum pressure theory, which states that the pressure of quantum particles causes objects to cast shadows, or areas where there is less pressure. Thus, in this shielded area, objects are not attracted, rather, they are pushed together since the other side of the object is not shielded.

No need to worry about warping rubber sheets at all, clean and simple. It does require one to beleive in the constant creation/decreation of particles, but since it has been proven, beyond all doubt, that creation of particles occured at least once in the history of the universe, it has some credibility.

Show ALL Forums