Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Clinical Depression and having a relationship
 racenut17
Msg: 48 (view)

Clinical Depression and having a relationship
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:29:17 PM
I am a substance abuse counselor that also deals with co-occuring disorders. Depression is treatable through medication, but also through counseling. It is a very important component for managing depression issues. Good luck to you!
 racenut17
Msg: 66 (view)

Have you ever loved someone enough to let them go?
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:07:43 PM
Yes.....
My ex and I had broke up and he met someone off of a dating site. He knew her for 2 months and married her. He found out later that she had alot of hidden secrets that effected their marriage and relationship. The love I felt for him was truly unconditional in every way. He and I remained like best friends even after we broke up. She was a very insecure person and would not allow him and I to remain friends any longer. I understood and had to respect his and her wishes. I was very sad I was losing my best friend. We did not talk for over 2 years, until one day he showed up at my door and told me what had happened with the two of them. She had gone off the deep end cleared the bank account and split. He had found out that she was suffering from a personality disorder called Bi-Polor. His family and friends all told him to get rid of her. I saw how much he was hurting over her and I suggested that he talk to her and see if they could work through the issues they had. I explained to him that had she been taking her meds like she was supposed to , the behavior she displayed may not have happened. He agreed to have dinner with her and discuss the possibility of working things out between them. They ended up getting back together. As much as it hurt me to let him go, it hurt me more to see him so unhappy without her.
 racenut17
Msg: 131 (view)

Honesty - does it really matter?
Posted: 4/16/2009 11:43:03 AM
It is best to be honest in all aspects of the word. A person that is honest has integrity, trusted by others, they are usually individuals with good morals and values. A person that lies has to keep lying to cover the original lie they told. A dishonest person has no credibility or honor. One of my favorite sayings that I live by is "If you can't handle the truth, then maybe you shouldn't ask the question" ........
 racenut17
Msg: 35 (view)

What is the basic needs of a human being?
Posted: 4/16/2009 11:31:26 AM
Choice Theory teaches us that there are 5 basic needs.....
Love and Belonging
Fun and Excitement
Freedom
Survival
Power
 racenut17
Msg: 134 (view)

Anyone else think Dating someone with a previous Drug Addiction is a BAD idea?!
Posted: 4/16/2009 11:00:06 AM
Well I guess I fall into that catagory of a "Rescuer or Fixer", because I am in my internship studying to be an Alcohol/Drug Counselor. I am also a recovered drug addict. I use the term "Recovered instead of Recovering Drug Addict, because I got clean with the Power of Jesus Christ and my faith is strong! I used for 20 plus years, was one step away from prison and almost lost my kids. I do know that people can change their lives, I am living proof of that fact. In many cases , those that have been addicted and gotten clean are much more productive citizens of society because they have learned how to work on their own character defects and they have learned some spiritual values. A person has to be done with that life of using and the disfunctional ways they were living. Some people believe that addiction is a choice and others believe it to be a disease. If someone had the disease of cancer, would you kick them to the curb, because you were in fear that it might come back? Just a little food for thought......

Show ALL Forums