Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Have you cheated death?
 nomdeplume
Msg: 9 (view)

Have you cheated death?
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:58:09 AM
Aha.. the great myth.... Death cheated.

Death can not be cheated, it is the one and only predetermined step we will take in life.

To be born is not a surety, however, if you succeed in this, be certain you are eventually going to shuffle your mortal coil..

We may be lucky to avoid but never cheat an untimely trip to the pearly gates but ultimately the big chap in the flowing gown with sharp scythe will be there to greet us ..

You may avoid paying your taxes but Death will come knocking on each and every ones door at some point of his choosing.

Dr Nom - happiness abounds
Now then, where is the number for the Samaritans ?
 nomdeplume
Msg: 4 (view)

Attractive, self assessment
Posted: 7/29/2008 9:24:10 AM
Having read the replies to my original post , I wish to clarify, I have no issue with someone possessing self confidence - especially with their aesthetics.

I agree that we are all in effect "marketing" our selves to prospective buyers (Partners) but
unlike retail goods, we already know what is likely to be inside the "human" package irrespective of the pretty box.

What struck me was the irony of it all, surely, if you are attractive and you post a photo displaying you in all your glorious beauty then you need not state you are "attractive", it just seemed to me as unnecessary, frankly rather vulgar and demonstrating insecurity.

Even if, as one post considered, the attraction to which a profile author refers could be "inner self", there is still no need to state it, for surely, is it not for another to discover our "inner beauty"? or are we all becoming so lonely that we need to blatantly and overtly sell ourselves on the POF market?
Choose me , me me ....oi over here... I AM VERY ATTRACTIVE.

Dr Nom
Damn it's good to be back...
 nomdeplume
Msg: 1 (view)

Attractive, self assessment
Posted: 7/28/2008 5:31:17 PM
Question: If you read a profile and the author states they are "Attractive" or even "Very Attractive", what are your immediate thoughts?,

Do you gaze at the profile photos and think... "Yep not bad" or "in your dreams missus", or "who are you kidding mister" or maybe you consign the profile to the bin having decided the person is conceited?

What do you think? are these conceited individuals, do you consider them insecure, after all if they are secure in themselves, surely, they have no need to re-enforce it with self appraising statements?

Aesthetically, I am a full scale deflection on the "ming-o-meter" but comfortable with it, so is it right for me to consider these as poor unfortunates who are uncomfortable or even insecure with their own aesthetics?

Your thoughts..
Dr Nom
Hmm then again, maybe my own "comfort" is a paradox?
 nomdeplume
Msg: 16 (view)

Ex's Kids
Posted: 11/8/2007 12:04:00 PM
This is exactly the position I find myself in, I have been "Dad" to my Ex's three children for eight yrs - the majority of their lives (now 11,14&15). I understand the OP's anger and the hurt however its not the kids fault. Op, you accepted them into your life, they accepted you as the father figure, what's changed?.. do you no longer love them?, do they no longer love you?... or are you simply feeling pushed out because some other guys is doing his best to establish himself in their lives?. Frankly, so what if he is, it does not matter, he may earn more, be better looking, more fun and lots of other things but as far as the kids will be concerned YOU are their dad. Don't give up on the kids.

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 10 (view)

brake horse power?
Posted: 11/8/2007 11:17:28 AM
The term "horsepower" was coined by the engineer James Watt (1736 to 1819) in 1782 while working on improving the performance of steam engines. He conceived the idea of defining the power exerted by Mine pony/horse lifting coal out of a coal mine. He found that, on the average, a mine horse could pull or lift with pulley 22,000 foot-pounds per minute. Rather than call this "pony" power, he increased these test results by 50 percent, and called it horsepower i.e. 33,000 foot-pounds of work per minute. ( 33000 pounds could be lifted 1 ft in 1 min)

A v8 Engine is an Engine with 8 Cylinders arranged in "V" format of two banks of four
So four cylinders on the left and four on the right slanted so that if you look at them from either end they look like a" V"

Gears, are used to increase or decrease the rate at which something rotates. If a gear wheel of say 25mm is connected to a gear of 50mm and they have the same number of teeth per mm then the smaller gear will rotate twice as fast as the Larger wheel.
look at the gears on a push bike, the large gear with the pedals turns slower than the smaller gears on the wheel.

Dr Nom
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 167 (view)

Your last words on your death bed would be...?
Posted: 11/4/2007 4:27:41 PM
Who's minding the shop?
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 2 (view)

The stupidness of cats
Posted: 11/3/2007 6:57:12 AM
GG
Isnt there a term for ladies that follow Pu*sy around?

Dr Nom
Now you know I love you so be gentle..
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 6 (view)

Microwave ovens, radiation and mobile phones?
Posted: 11/3/2007 6:54:25 AM
Mooie...
Now you know I am not an advocate of animal testing...the buggers never bring their own pens..

Dr Nom
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 3 (view)

Wait until your father gets home!
Posted: 11/3/2007 6:37:31 AM
Here is my professional view... re: "Is it some kind of psychological warfare played on a child's mind that could affect their future relationships with men/women?...."

Utter bollox... it is all about boundaries... knowing how far to allow them to be stretched and understanding how to react when they are... there is nothing wrong with an ultimate deterrent..if that be the Father figure then fine, but it is how the threat of the deterrent is used and how deterrent responds when triggered.

Frankly, if the threat is made often there are two things wrong..
1: The threat looses impact..
2: Some other issue needs addressing as the need to refer to the threat is being triggered too often and the root cause needs to be investigated.

Dr Nom
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 15 (view)

Intelligent - a self description
Posted: 11/3/2007 6:22:35 AM
"I am also dyslexic...or is that diabetic?" ...maybe both... for the sugar level in alcohol effects my dyslexia... well the verbal type...I keep getting my wucking fords mixed..hic,,

Dr Nom
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 7 (view)

Posted: 11/3/2007 5:13:33 AM
Put or puts?...lol.. please forgive
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 11/3/2007 5:04:20 AM
The ability to spell has nothing what so ever to do with intelligence, in fact, a survey conducted a few years ago amongst those within the 98th percentile found over 50% of these "allegedly" gifted people have poor spelling.....like myself .

As for claiming within your profile to be "intelligent", this is merely a relative statement, my own IQ has been measured at 148/152 which makes me appear intelligent to some and dumb to others....and my spelling... well that's blooming awful, (long live spell checkers).

Dr Nom
Slysdexia Rules K.O.
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 11/3/2007 4:21:48 AM
CZZZ...yep Airwave... something I worked on (previous life)...lol schhh you aint seen me right.... I must concede 3G (UMTS) operates at 2.4Ghz so "line of sight communications" the industries politically correct way of referring to Microwaves.... Could effect those handsets.. .but purely from clarity of connection aspect...it is very unlikely your oven will have any effect, however when you are cooking a lasagne in the oven and it starts ringing and talking to you, remember you need to leave it to stand for 1 minute before operating.

DR N
 Nomdeplume

Posted: 11/3/2007 4:04:17 AM
Cheekerzzz, apols to slip into anorak mode..but Microwave ovens in the Uk operate at 2.45 GHz, mobile phones operate at .8 to 1.9 Ghz dependent upon whether Single, Duel or Triband.

The new UK emergency services system based upon Tetra operates at 17.65Hz, uses pulsed microwaves, at a pulse frequency of 17.6Hz, which is very close to a key frequency of electrical activity in the human brain at 16Hz (our beta brain waves are around 13Hz to 20Hz).

Guess all the police are really going to become brain damaged..

Dr Nom
 Nomdeplume

Posted: 11/3/2007 3:46:00 AM
The simple answer to your question is no.. not really, it wont get damaged, certainly not as much as placing it inside the microwave and turning the microwave oven on. RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) and EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) are emitted by all electro/electronic equipment...we are simply cooking our selves very slowly

In the mid 1970’s extensive research was undertaken as to the potential risks involved in exposure to low level microwave radiation. As a result, in the US the allowable level of leakage of a microwave oven was set at 1,000 microwatts per square centimetre at a distance of five centimetres and 5,000 microwatts per square centimetre thereafter.

There are only two ways to test the level of leakage, one is to get a technician suitably trained and equipped, the other is to glue lots of lab rats to the side and see how long they take to glow or die.

Dr Nom
Always here to help
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 94 (view)

Do you read peoples profiles?
Posted: 11/3/2007 3:24:41 AM
Profile reading is a sport.... I utterly adore it... I especially love those full of contradictions they make for such good titter... " I wuld lik aprtner who is artikalat" ...classic..

Or the wonderfully termed,
"I am easy going, non materialistic, non judgemental, all I want is a well off man with a nice car , good job , no baldies or fatties and I don't do black"

However the ones that make me cringe are the Sad and lonely ones... Now we have all been hurt at sometime and we all carry emotional scars but for crying out loud...don't make your self a target.... "I have been hurt in the past, no players please"...that's definitely going to keep them away... ..

It is impossible for profiles to give anything but a small insight to somebodies personality, but they do give just enough to either entice you or drive you away..

As for mine...read it... its obvious I am an assole... emotionally scarred, deeply disturbed, high materialistic and devoid of good intent ...damn its just so accurate..
Dr Nom
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 25 (view)

Save Our Bacon...And Sausages.....
Posted: 11/3/2007 2:07:21 AM
Hams, I have now totally refrained from consuming any food stuff that I have been warned is likely to harm me and guess what .... I starved to death...
From beyond the grave
Dr Nom
 Nomdeplume

I need help please
Posted: 11/3/2007 1:54:08 AM
"I've been up 22 hours now, so maybe it's that dillusional time of night "..

Have you considered that you may have only been up for 2 hours and am suffering time distortion, a side effect of "Negative hallucination" , consequently, no matter how hard you look for the button you mind tells you its not there.

I often use Negative and Positive Hallucinatory techniques with ladies, negative to remove the inches life has added to my waist and positive to add the inches God forgot to give me else where.

Dr Nom
Life is so short... like most men..
 nomdeplume
Msg: 138 (view)

~*~Nottingham P Party! 3rd November 2007 Walkabout, Friar Lane, Nottingham~*~
Posted: 11/1/2007 5:41:22 PM
I do hope you all have a great time, for those who have never attended or are a little shy and worried about going on their own... please Go, these do's are "fan bloody tastic", you will have a wonderful time with great people in secure surroundings...

Wish I was going...then again..maybe I might just turn up...

Love to all
Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 18 (view)

Favourite words
Posted: 11/1/2007 4:34:54 PM
SMEG..as in the name of the fridge manufacturer... always causes a school boy chuckle
Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 14 (view)

Odd numbers
Posted: 11/1/2007 3:31:06 PM
I have an even number of children but they are some what Odd themselves.. does this count?
Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 13 (view)

Would you date someone with Tourette Syndrome?
Posted: 11/1/2007 3:25:25 PM
I once met a girl on a train who I diagnosed as suffering a variant of Tourettes, known as Mute Tourette's Syndrome, my diagnosis was confirmed after only a few minutes spent examining her long legs and short skirt, when she passed me a note that said "F**K OFF"..

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume

Favourite words
Posted: 11/1/2007 3:12:36 PM
Niggard, Misogynist, and of course Cacophony ,
Refer to someone as either of the former and a Cacophony of discord is what you will hear as a response.... lovely

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 51 (view)

Define Wild Sex
Posted: 10/13/2007 3:00:06 AM
I recall...a long long time ago....zzz ... I met at a young lady party, After a few glasses of wine she confessed a fantasy of hers, which was to be tied to the front of a car and ..well you can guess the rest...anyway, I had a RangeRover with Bullbars, and a set of handcuffs in the glove box....(strange but true) , so it seemed rude of me not to allow her to fulfil her fantasy... gosh what a gent...

After a short drive into the country, we pulled into a field, by miraculous coincidence she became handcuffed to the bullbars and a nice fun time was had by both.... until... I discovered in my haste to get my trousers down/off, I had lost the key to the handcuffs.... Wild was not how to describe the look on her face...more like sheer terror... she definitely swore wildly and with some skill I might add.

After some 20 fruitless minutes franticly searching for the key, I thought there was nothing to be done but call the fire brigade and suffer the embarrassment...oh Nooo did she not want that option...it turned out she was married and her husband...yes...a local fireman..

I did eventually find the key..

A pretty wild night if you ask me..

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 356 (view)

wot famous , person have u been told u look like,
Posted: 10/13/2007 1:13:34 AM
Apparently I remind women of "Babe" the little piggy..
.. basically pink, cute, short, rotund, and ugly as F8ck.

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 49 (view)

Define Wild Sex
Posted: 10/13/2007 1:00:17 AM
I heard that wild sex was taking your partner from behind and hanging on after telling her you had F8cked her best friend earlier that day.

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 21 (view)

Anything you wish you were able to do but can not?
Posted: 10/12/2007 11:49:04 PM
Learn how to communicate with / understand the opposite sex..... or view the second coming of Christ.... which ever is more likely

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 93 (view)

Have you ever dated an English guy/gal?
Posted: 2/21/2007 7:09:49 AM
Having noted delightful ladies across the pond are rather fond of an English accent, I happily offer my lingusitic services for absolutely no charge to any lady whom would wish to engage in earnest and intelligent discourse with an Englishman.

Dr Nom
At your service
 nomdeplume
Msg: 26 (view)

euthanasia- your right to die
Posted: 2/19/2007 2:59:08 PM
I just dont get what all the fuss is about..

Youth In Asia....let the buggers go there, it keeps the streets here clear and safe

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 50 (view)

Valentine's Birmingham Meet Night 17th February 2007 - Pictures & Comments Thread
Posted: 2/18/2007 4:41:03 PM
It seems you all had a fantastic time, which is great to hear...

sadly no one missed me..boo hoo..

Well done Laine and Possie... another fine "Do" under your belt..

love Nom
 nomdeplume

would you date a woman with more then 1 child by different fathers?
Posted: 2/18/2007 4:32:32 PM
I dated one, then married her... She was 24 White Canadian with two chineese boys and a Beautiful little black girl... Ok so eight yrs later we are not together... But I still adore the kids.. and as far as I am concerned .they are all mine...

Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 21 (view)

does anyone understand why women jump from one man to the next to the next to the next
Posted: 2/17/2007 2:25:49 AM
GG..it is rare I disagree with you...but..

They do it because they can.

>>>>I can kill people but I choose not too

They do it because they don't want to be alone

>>>>What is wrong with a circle of friends....

They do it because they want sex on tap.

>>>>Women can get sex on tap without the need to have a man around 24/7

They do it because they need to have somebody in their life to validate their own existence.

>>>>Not so... I have yet to meet a woman who needs someone to validate her existance, every woman I have met is quite capable of surviving on her own merits.

They do it because actually they are an extremely desirable person had they have people queueing up to be with them.

>>>>Simply because one is the subject of adoration is little or no reason to be leaping from man to man... it simply displays a lack of self respect and distinct lack of self control which is both demeaning to the lady concerned and allows the masses to label her .

Dr N
 nomdeplume
Msg: 28 (view)

Are you immune to love
Posted: 2/16/2007 1:40:56 PM
mynameisfizz...... hmm and I thought I was cynical....

well miss.. I am aware of at least two people who found love knocking on thier door...one married the postman and the other...the Bailiff !

So love can and does appear from anywhere....

Dr Nom
Cynical but hopeful too

PS: Tactileguy ...Mark, nope I am not going to the Brum Do....
hope you all have a great time and as we who have attend these before know...
love often blossoms at these get togethers..
 nomdeplume
Msg: 23 (view)

Are you immune to love
Posted: 2/16/2007 12:58:04 PM
Love is a rather strange concept, search for it and you will never find it, yet when you least expect, it can creep up and smack you in the face.

One of the issues with getting slightly older is that you become cynical and have a tendency to hold back hiding your true feelings, especially love, for fear, that should the truth be known you may lose what you have worked so had to obtain. Yet if we “go” with the flow it may just blossom.

True love does not (usually) come with the sudden impact of the WOW factor...this is normally left to that fickle phenomena “physical attraction.”… Agreed there is usually some form of attraction in the first instance but relationships built solely on “looks” rarely flourish, where as those developed slowly with mutual interests and desires become long standing.

I doubt any of us are Immune from love, it is just that some have yet to realise love for what it is and that is different for everyone.

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 9 (view)

Midlife Crisis - Have Had One, Having One, Waiting Hopefully?
Posted: 2/15/2007 10:04:51 AM
SJS.... I married a younger woman, I often wear bike leathers and have done since I was 18...then a gain I do ride a bike, I dont have any piercings or tattoos but hey I am only 46....

Guess once my Aston Martin arrives as my penile extention, rather than aimlessly chasing young girls, I can go back to just admiring them from the comfort of my Parisian cafe table, in the realisation that I can do everything and anything I want as I dont care what other people think, or what fashion I am wearing and because I can afford to...

Midlife crisis...a myth perpetuated by the fearful youth...fearful that some bald middle aged chap is going to nick thier girlfriend off them.....

Dr Nom
Been there, nicked the girlfriend and paid the bill.
 nomdeplume

Chaos theory
Posted: 2/15/2007 9:51:32 AM
Steve N : Re Chaos theory...Cause and effect.. All extrapolate nicely to The Gaia hypothesis (Sir James Lovelock).

(Source Wiki)
It is an ecological theory that proposes that the living matter of planet Earth functions like a single organism, Today the Gaia theory is more commonly referred to as earth system science, and is a class of scientific models of the geo-biosphere in which life as a whole fosters and maintains suitable conditions for itself by helping to create an environment on Earth suitable for its continuity..

IE: The Earth is a self regulating organism..... I am a great believer that the earth WILL ultimately remove anything that puts it in danger...such as man...

Hmm nice thought for a Thursday evening..

Dr Nom
Best get the bike out for a blast before those bloody butterflies make it too windy
 nomdeplume
Msg: 5 (view)

Places Positions
Posted: 12/28/2006 6:09:43 PM
Anywhere, Anytime, so long as I am not alone...

Nom
Happy New Yr to all
 nomdeplume

Where are you spending xmas?
Posted: 12/22/2006 11:58:20 AM
Right then...I'm off..got a flight booked Luton to Larnaca Cyprus leaving at 22:45 this evening...

Where ever you choose to spend xmas, May yours bring much fun,joy and happiness to all your families and friends....may your new year be all that you wish...cheers all...

Catch you next year....

Nom
 nomdeplume

Practicing your faith
Posted: 12/22/2006 2:39:24 AM
I am Jewish but I dont practice as I am already good at it.

Happy Hannukah
Nom

May your god look upon you with joy and happiness
 nomdeplume

Birmingham Xmas Bash success
Posted: 12/17/2006 1:42:01 AM
If you made it to the Birmingham POF Xmas bash last night (sat 16dec) ...then your xmas got off to a great start... over 350 people attended, the concensus was..all had a fab time.

Congratulations, to Miss_BBW (Lannie) and her team, Jadd, Mike Bradley, Pants on Fire and Posh Vic (apols if I have missed anyone), for yet another superb evening.

The entrance format was slightly different this time, required a few minutes of queueing but all seemed to understand the need to ensure those that had signed up got in.

Me, I had a great time, meeting up with pals old and new, oh yes, I apologise for my dancing, if I barged you off the dance floor, I swear, its my dyslexic feet they do not understand a word I tell them.

Already looking forward to the next one..

Happy Xmas and a merry new year to you all

Dr Nom
Good Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

nomdeplume

Men - Mere fashion accessories
Posted: 12/9/2006 7:19:23 AM
As the OP, I would like to point out the thread was a tounge in cheek referance to the relative "value of men to women"...... About £50..lol

Nowt to do with height really...

Nom
 nomdeplume

Posted: 12/9/2006 4:58:46 AM
Little lady
Why 6ft..how high must your suitor lift you?... will not an inch do?... :)

Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 26 (view)

Fox Hunting - Your Thoughts
Posted: 12/9/2006 3:50:17 AM
Charliedontsurf ....
1man+1gun= 1 dead fox..an excellent idea...

however I much prefer..
1man+1gun+30rounds= 30 dead rich fat drunken fools on horseback..

much much better :)

Nom
Intolerance.. a wonderful thing...
 nomdeplume

Tonight
Posted: 12/9/2006 3:44:49 AM
Then why not do both...

Show up at the family do.....when they have drunk the booze and granny is sipping the cooking sherry...slip out the back into a waiting taxi and go boogie...

Nom
I have a cunning plan...
 nomdeplume

Posted: 12/9/2006 3:39:36 AM
Since when did men become fashion accessories?

Reading through the profiles of numerous ladies here, it suddenly became clear to me that women actually choose men who match thier shoes !.

Let me explain... here is a typical line from a ladies profile...

"I am 5'9 and I want a man 6ft plus"

When asked why.. It was because the ladies like to wear high heels and dont want to look "down" upon thier partner, which of course is all rather nice and darn descent of them... until you consider, thier choice of partner is actually being dictated by thier preferred footwear...

So chaps.. you are worth less to a lady than a pair of £50 shoes with 2" heels.. how comforting is that :)

Nom
Vertically challanged at 5'9" (without heels)
 nomdeplume
Msg: 11 (view)

A mile too far?
Posted: 12/3/2006 2:35:10 PM
I already pay for my right to travel.... the receipt sits on the left hand side of my window screen.. its called my TAX disc...

Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 17 (view)

The most expensive prezzie
Posted: 12/3/2006 2:32:50 PM
"The most expensive prezzie"....
An engagement ring for my ex wife , made to her design, costing well in to five figures.
Appreciated by her only when we split... purely for its monitary value.

I have since learnt..saying " I love you" and meaning it, has by far greater value.

Nom
 nomdeplume

quantum leap
Posted: 12/3/2006 2:24:57 PM
Interesting concept.... for me 24hrs as Milton Erickson MD would be superb...
Erickson is deemed the father of modern Hypnotherapy... 24 hrs of him would be a kin to a lifetime of training and research... fantastic.

Dr Nom
 nomdeplume
Msg: 8 (view)

Unknown life insurance
Posted: 11/29/2006 11:34:02 AM
I really can not see what the fuss is about !

Company's invest a great deal of time and effort to ensure the employees are trained to undertake thier specific role irrespective of how unimportant memebers of the public view it.

Training costs, as does recruitment, why should a Company not look to recoup some of these costs in the unfortuante event they lose an employee?.

Nom
 nomdeplume

Xmas ...ba humbug....
Posted: 11/26/2006 11:44:05 AM
Oh please I am going to puke... this is not about religion despite the subject, it is about the hypocrisy of the moment..when people decide to be caring for a few days and forget about it all other times...

Nom

Show ALL Forums