Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Bias: incapable of objectivity
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 160 (view)

Bias: incapable of objectivity
Posted: 1/22/2019 2:53:01 PM

WOMEN DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY WANT? is without logic is not rational, additionally, the current challenge globally to rise above such limited worldview...

Providing examples of perspective is one way to create a practical discussion. But there are a lot of people that are simply nay-sayers that throw the most recent accusation back into the past posters' face instead of trying to understand it. It's the old 'Active Listening' drill. Learning to comprehend the other side takes a lot more than accusing them of some form of ignorance. I fully agree that a lot of people have a very limited world view, and there are also plenty of people online who feel arrogantly empowered to assume the worst because of their semi-anonymous status in discussion boards like these.

What I feel is the burning reason why this discussion board has legs - goes back to the basic assumption that men are primal and women are intellectual with their selections - and that assumption has been proven wrong before. Men probably will never be as complicated with their decision making process because we're not programmed to be --- but there are a LOT of constantly single women out there still clinging to complex and abstract reasons for their singlehood - that really refuse to try and simple it down.

The KISS principle is Keep It Simple, Stupid - but people would rather rant for pages on being offended about being allegedly 'Stupid' than do ANYthing about keeping it 'Simple'.

Knowing what we want - the struggle is more about NOT being able to cut it down in simple enough terms for others to understand. Or for ourselves to realize.

It's not about owning 100 pairs of shoes that is the problem --it's the refusal to get rid of many of them until there is no closet space left.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 23 (view)

Men with no friends
Posted: 1/21/2019 11:46:16 AM

I moved to a new state and it is not easy to make new friends. The two easiest ways are through a school if you have young children, or through work. I don't have either of those options available to me.

Church is another. Volunteer groups. Professional fraternity organizations and LinkedIn. Meetup dot com. Just getting out and hanging out at local watering holes or the local diner makes connections. Just remember the hard part isn't meeting people - it's getting to trust them - and that's mostly difficult because of what is between your own two ears. "Feeling strange" is a natural instinct - but being able to overcome that is what makes us different from the apes. For people who have the extra time and energy, I'd suggest a part time cashier job at a local grocery store or gas station, or maybe the movie theater. Eventually, you get to meet everyone, even if it is only for 20 seconds at a time. It also kind of forces you to be outgoing and conversational, because jobs like that you really cannot wall yourself off from people.

I live alone, and like the solitude. I spent a lot of my time as a kid taking long walks in the woods with the dog and nobody else. When asking out for dates I frequently roll my eyes at others who mistakenly assume I am desperately horny, desperately lonely or just plain psychotic. The loner is the serial killer, right? Why the hell would you go out to a bar by yourself? People get stuck believing that the way THEY think things should be is really the way they are. What happens when that quiet guy grabs the Karaoke mic and fearlessly belts out a really good rendition of a popular song? Are you shocked? Are you confused? Are you still stuck on the idea that quiet people are all hopelessly shy and awkward?

What bugs me the most is how people arrogantly assume so much crap about quiet people, that even little outgoing actions or connections to others simply don't count towards their goal of a relationship. Their own pile of baggage means they need obscenely outgoing gestures just to grab their attention or prove we care. It's not enough to get a birthday card -- they need a flash mob singing their name at the local mall - and crap like that. Damaged people don't try to fix themselves anymore -- they just raise themselves onto such a high pedestal that nobody else can reach them, and pretend that is better. Why is someone demanding attention seen as better than someone who doesn't? Chemical imbalances in the brain happen on both the high AND low ends. Why is an aggressive a-hole still more attractive than the strong, silent type?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 149 (view)

Women Don't Know What They Want
Posted: 1/20/2019 11:05:03 PM

I know EXACTLY who I am and what I want!!! That's why I rarely any messages.

It's amazing how confident we can be when we avoid the outside world, avoid encounters, avoid anyone that doesn't agree with us, and basically avoid the truth. This online customization of the social media world to ends up warping our own version of reality. This isn't chastising one poster in here - because we are ALL guilty of it to some extent. Being offline doesn't make people immune, either. The less information we allow ourselves to accept and trust - the less connected we become with the rest of the outside world.

Think about where you get your news, where you hang out, where you like to shop, date, school and worship --- and then realize just how much of a bigger world there is outside of that. The less we spend interacting with real humans and the more time we spend texting and posting, the less likely we are able to adapt to reality. We end up in conversations between two strangers so loaded with assumptions that we can neither identify nor tolerate the truth. It's no freaking wonder that the art of discussion, debate and compromise in government seems almost extinct. It's like a couple prize fighters dropped into the ring blindfolded and being expected to still have a good clean bout without any clue who is in the other corner.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 8 (view)

Very Fancy Restaurant for Second Date?
Posted: 1/10/2019 1:32:55 PM
What if the gal is afraid of heights? Do you even know that answer yet?
A case of vertigo would trump ANY time, effort or money dumped into a fancy effort like that.
Know your audience. And that audience is not a bunch of online strangers.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 20 (view)

Living with parents... a turn off?
Posted: 1/10/2019 1:22:04 PM

If men are still willing to date a woman with no job or car just because she's "hot", that's not on the woman, that's on the men who tolerate that foolishness.

"Did you lose your car keys, honey? That's OK - No - no problem. We can always get another car."
- Rob Schneider

If anyone, male or female, does not have a car or job they should not be trying to date.

That's a universal excuse for intolerant people who believe they should not have to deal with reality. Accidents happen. Layoffs happen. It's doesn't mean anyone is obligated to pull their profiles simply because it's inconvenient to your gold digging. You might as well be saying "boob job" or "trust fund" or "swimming pool" instead of Car or Job. Sorry NOT Sorry you have to wait in line for groceries behind someone with coupons.

When it comes to New Years' resolutions - instead of always striving to do something to better yourself, for yourself - maybe it would be better resolving to be a more tolerant person of others than an overachieving douche. Everyone needs a slice of Humble Pie once in a while - and NO, it's doesn't come in Dark Chocolate. The mere idea that you are 'average' and can always do better is ridiculously common and fundamentally laughable.

The "Game" of love is supposed to be played one on one, not based on the peer pressure of a billion other wannabe stars, magazine subscribers and watchers of the "E!" network..
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 1115 (view)

Sitting, kneeling or hiding out in the lockeroom during our anthem
Posted: 1/8/2019 12:07:38 PM

It is a party like no other. It is an opportunity to share their joy - see the pride and gratitude on the faces...

I'm not trying to pee on the parade... finding moments of unbridled joy is always a memorable thing to see.
- The first college graduate in a large family at Commencement
- The welcoming home ceremony for a company of soldiers overseas
- The look on a kid's face when you help distribute Toys for Tots at Christmas, or school supplies to children in a third world country

What is unique about a Citizenship ceremony that really gets me - is how diverse the people are participating. Even a small ceremony a thousand miles away from any coast -- there is every flavor of humanity participating. Multiple languages, costumes, heights, sizes and smells - all in one room, elated to be American.

My point to the former post in this politically - charged thread - is that if people are totally ignorant to how something happens, they will never appreciate it when it does.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 1113 (view)

Sitting, kneeling or hiding out in the lockeroom during our anthem
Posted: 1/7/2019 6:56:16 PM

Everyone should attend a citizenship ceremony, at least once. It will warm your heart.

While I agree that a citizenship ceremony is one of many educational opportunities to teach kids about our government processes, it's kind of like taking them to a voting booth to understand the election process. The average kid in junior high has no concept of the time and effort involved to get to that point. It IS a teachable moment, but not much more than a single moment. People need to understand the application process, the scrutiny, the ridiculous long time it takes, all under the risk of being deported for just about any excuse someone in a uniform wants to cook up. Just like schools attempt to teach about the history of voting and elections laws and the painful development of the rights involved through history, the immigration and naturalization process needs to be framed in an accurate, teachable concept of what it takes to GET to that swearing-in ceremony.
 Sweet_danimal
Msg: 79 (view)

Time wasters
Posted: 1/6/2019 7:23:43 PM

I am sure men have just as many stories about trying to just leave meet and greets as women.

In terms of quantity - Hell to the No.
And I think that's a real sticking point with online or even dating in general. Guys DO get meetups they wish they had not -- no question -- but a real misunderstood point between the genders is the AMOUNT of times it happens.

I hate going back this far to old references, but this is from 2012 - and it is STILL no less true today...
http://jonmillward.com/blog/attraction-dating/cupid-on-trial-a-4-month-online-dating-experiment/

Attractive, tall men who know how to play the game can afford to be un-emotional douche bags because they KNOW women are not even trying to meet anything less. It's like playing the Keno numbers game with 2/3 of the card already filled out. Attractive women also know it -- and tend to play these dating sites for sport, not anything serious. What people won't talk about is where they fall in this Attention spectrum. Many lie or pretend they fit in with the Cool Kids, but the truth is most of us are stuck in the deep dark valley of, "Where do I REALLY fit in?" And the saddest part is that we keep looking at the top of the heap for answers, and rarely EVER look at who is right next to us.

Ordinary, average guys are going to get angry about rejection because their window of opportunity may not open for months, even years -- and then rejections usually happen within hours, if not minutes. Even the least 'fairest' of them all is going to get some attention -- so long as they pee sitting down. There are plenty of guys' profiles twisting in the wind like empty plastic grocery bags for years.

The demand on women's time is just ridiculous because of the volume of crap that is out there. Dozens upon dozens of brainless messages. It's no wonder they don't respond to most - and no wonder that the sheer volume tends to go to their head and create a false level of desirability.

I really wish women had the ability to switch off emotions while reading a lot of the crap messages, but they are wired to take it personally. I really wish guys were born with enough blood to run both heads at the same time, but we're not.

Changing the results of the game falls on nobody's shoulders but your own. We ALL want the Other person to reform a bit to match our demands, but that's a little like getting up before sunrise every morning and expecting it to rise out of the West. We need to change our own stance, our own direction - before ANYthing else can change. Start with the stupid vain restrictions on height and body type in here - and try reading what pops up.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 10 (view)

Living with parents... a turn off?
Posted: 1/2/2019 11:05:18 AM

I’m finding it difficult to find a guy who has his shit together on here.

I find it quite arbitrary where the line gets drawn for having their 'shit together'.

There are plenty of people who refuse to see someone surviving or thriving at a level lower than their own as being competent. The search for upgrades is constant and relentless. Basically, it's a security measure - anyone who doesn't feel good about themselves wants 'better' coming from their mate.

It explains why attractive douchebags and bimbos with abysmal personality traits get constant attention and dates - because faking it until you make it actually works.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 77 (view)

*trigger* Have I broken it off too soon?
Posted: 12/31/2018 9:52:18 AM

I don't care if they are young or old. If they constantly ask for help, then ignore help, and keep on repeating their mistake while whining about it, I am going to tell them they need professional help.

There's a part in there that people neglect to mention as well. The constant allocation of blame on the other party. You can't stop repeating your mistake if you can't see it - and denial often exists in the form of finding blame in others. The only common denominator in your repeated failures is yourself - and SHOULD be the first source to be checked for mistakes.

Your dirty laundry won't fold itself.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 63 (view)

Posted: 12/28/2018 11:01:33 AM

Back on topic: I wish the OP would come back to give us an update on her situation with her ambivalent man.

Check her posting history. No doubt she has a new thread complaining about something else -- or will very soon.

Some have explained it as a desire to conquer. In other words, if they can only make an avowed gay man "go straight"

Or make a Bad Boy become 'Good' - just for her?
Jesus, if I had a nickel for every woman in here looking for a 'challenge' of some sort -- and finding an azzhole...

You can't make an argument for 'All Men' anything -- if you are ignoring everything except what your tunnel vision wants.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 12/23/2018 8:11:40 AM

You have found a man who has excess emotional baggage. It's very sad, but some people have too much. (This could be the reason he's single.)

The same reason many a lady are still single as well.

I think it's kind of funny how people in here reply to posts with 'obvious' issues with eye-roll type replies and bit of sarcasm, but more than likely it's because they themselves had a crush on someone who was a bag of cats. Attraction stumps every kind of personal issue out there, and if the presentation looks good enough, you'll still have a 'go' at it even with warning signs as obvious as a road construction crew. The difference experience brings is realizing what you can tolerate and what needs professional help. Note that I did not say "Wisdom" because a truly wise person knows how to solve problems despite what the situation brings. Many people in here are experienced at bad encounters - but running away from most doesn't make them a problem solver.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 3 (view)

Dismissed Without Warning
Posted: 12/17/2018 1:27:21 PM
Like the other person said-- what you connected with was a Profile, not necessarily a real person.

New profiles that get dropped from the system quickly happen for a reason, and usually it's not good - soliciting for sex, spamming the entire network for replies, baiting people into off-site conversations, posting lurid photos - the list goes on.

Since this is a free site, people can fake profiles and join with nothing but an e-mail. As scary as that seems, POF is fairly decent at scanning and dumping obvious fakers quickly.

Any profile that looks not quite right - age and only 1-2 photos that don't match up, sentence structures are odd and spelling of proper names is wrong, content of their profile is generic and way too flowery -- give them half a day before replying. Most fakes will be dumped by POF scanners in a few hours, because their online patterns of solicitation are easy to identify.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 146 (view)

How men mathematically sleep with more people than women
Posted: 12/16/2018 9:50:24 AM

In 2017 had the highest number of cases of syphilis (76% increase), gonorrhea (67% increase) and chlamydia (31% increase) ever reported.

"Percentage Increase" is the biggest load of mathematical baloney ever invented.

If there is one solitary case of one disease, and another person catches it, that's a '200% increase'.

Those numbers pretty much exclusively use short-term numbers as well. A company stock could have grown from $20 a share to $100 in the last ten years, but in this last year, it only rose two dollars, and fell 25 cents in the last few weeks.
So is $20 to $99.75 a '498.75 percent increase' in the last ten years --
or is it an '12.5 percent loss' in the last two weeks, based on the two dollar increase this year.
Depends on the drama you are trying to create.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 22 (view)

Plenty of Pervs
Posted: 12/14/2018 1:42:46 PM

I would have assumed it was because their partners did not want their photos on social media though...

That assumptions sounds like it's based off hanging around a lot of alpha-type males are to some extent, control-freaks. Guys who philander and do things they shouldn't be doing are the types who get upset about that stuff. I would hazard to guess a lot of normal guys don't give a damn about what pics are on Facebook -- aside from anything that could get them into trouble.

Women are a HECKUVA lot more controlling in their social standings and appearances. If you want an alternate perspective - think about this;
Ladies who are trying (and succeeding) at getting into stronger social circles once dominated by males - are refusing to show their man online because it could be read as a sign of weakness - a lack of independence - a less-than-alpha-powerful symbol that they feel compelled to make themselves to get ahead. ANY woman with a home business of some sort shows this front, no matter their relationship - because customers 'feed' off this independence and confidence like it's heroin or something.

I see this stance as sad and pathetic - but not because of what women are doing -- it's because of the stupid cavemen that own everything that force them into those roles. The 'Plenty of Pervs' people keep mentioning - are the dudes (and dude-ettes) who KNOW they hold the attractiveness card, and play it to control the rest of the game. We look to the upper 15% of hot and powerful and confident first - all the time, every time - and they KNOW it. Some of these 'pervs' may not fit the attractiveness mold perfectly, but they also know showing ANY weakness is fatal to success. It doesn't matter if you don't buy into it -- enough people do it for them to continue.

There are endless women out there who have already succeeded in many ways, but because there is still a richer or more powerful douche out there, they believe 'the Game' still means if they are not sucking a man's unit, they should be trying to cut it off. Maybe that sounds a bit extreme, but it is not far off the mark. A divorced woman who has been happy about the custody arrangement with their Ex for years - suddenly flips out and files abuse charges - because they find out their Ex is dating another woman - and appears to be happy in Facebook. That could be an example of why a normal guy may be worried about what shows on social media. Hell hath no fury... but why?!?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 20 (view)

Plenty of Pervs
Posted: 12/13/2018 10:07:27 AM

I just don't understand how you can flirt with strangers when you get to your 30s and up.

The same way you do when you are 20 - except they actually own a vehicle to drive and don't have to deal with rental roommates when they get home.

80% of the men are in committed relationships (either married or living together common-law) but only a third actually wear wedding rings so there's no way to tell.

I debate those numbers. If that were true, then the flip side of that would be 80% of the women are 'committed' as well. Sorry to say, but wearing a wedding band gives plenty of people in public carte blanche to flirt mercilessly because they treat it like a 'Get out of Jail Free' card. If you think guys are exclusive to flirting, I have some swamp land to sell you.

Sometimes I know their first and last names and look them up on Facebook but almost always I then see they are in a relationship.

That's because guys in a relationship actually LIKE showing off their significant other on social media. They are proud of them.
I have plenty of married/committed women as friends on Facebook. They don't post pics of their husbands. Hardly ever. There are more pics of them with their girlfriends/kids/pets/vacation beach than they have of their significant other. Aside from their wedding pics (Which is really a showcase for the woman in the white dress), pretty much all you see of the guy is their annual Fall/Winter Christmas family postcard shot, and that is it. What is REALLY telling is when there is a family pic, and the ladies crop the guy out - and it happens more than anyone would like to admit.

And flirting with the wrong guy will get you in a lot of trouble because their wife/girlfriend might just be an acquaintance of yours.

How is that any different from talking up a guy at ANY local venue? From Walgreens to Wal-Mart, the same thing can happen. Online gives you the advantage of making connections more distant without the travel. If you are only matching online to people within a few miles, you are wasting the one true advantage online dating has - which is closing the distance.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 3 (view)

Why do women have slogan pics in their profile
Posted: 12/4/2018 6:20:00 PM
If you use the main website, Under the "Meet Me" page there is a tab for "Rate Images" --- it's a function created by POF to self-police new profiles since their admins don't have enough people (or refuse to pay enough people) to patrol all traffic in and out of this site. If the main pics in their profiles are obscene, or lack appropriate subject matter (like the slogans you mentioned) the Rate Images review gives you a chance to vote them off the island. Enough bad votes, and changes will be made.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 234 (view)

what is so wrong with a single dad?
Posted: 12/3/2018 6:47:23 AM

Stop contacting me, harnessing, or asking about my family by any means. for the 6th time.

Stop trying to get in the final word, stop calling women who you don't like 'animals' or 'damaged' or other inferior terms, and please realize this forum is an international forum on the internet, not just Minnesota - which means the extent of your controlling dictation does NOT extend past your own login and password. If you refuse to learn to play with others in here, that is on you, not anyone else. You do not need to log in to these forum pages to use the dating service.

The easiest way to deal with internet trolls is to ignore them. That's not just advice for Lion, but everyone else in here feeding his ego with responses. The focus of this thread is dealing with perceptions about dating a single dad -- so stick to the subject matter, and the thread will continue. Stop feeding this flamer, please.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 18 (view)

Why Office Air Conditioning is Sexist
Posted: 12/1/2018 11:35:05 AM
I really wonder if this story has been given 'Legs' because there are a bunch of Baby Boomers in their later years with bad internal thermostats still out there in the work force. I have seen plenty of miscellaneous news stories crawl through my feed suggesting it's a 'trend' across all subjects when the subject matter is pretty blatantly put out there by either Millenials or Boomers - the two largest demographic groups. As a Gen-Xer, I know my generation has one of the smallest populations out there - and stuff that I see as an issue is often brushed off like dandruff by 20-somethings and the semi-retired. Their votes and TV ratings carry the day, so I fully understand the media kissing up to them - but it doesn't mean I have to care.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 464 (view)

A man's actions are the key variable that determines whether a relationship survives or fails
Posted: 12/1/2018 11:26:15 AM

The emphasis should be on doing God's work (caring for the poor, the sick, the downtrodden) rather than conversion. Like Mother Theresa who with her order cared for people regardless of religion and did not set out to convert them. But help must be wanted, not forced upon.

I can't help thinking THAT truth is more Darwinism (Evolutionary) thinking than ANY organized religion wants to admit.
Identify a need, and adapt to it - and people will come.

Men adapting to women's needs may very well mean being the caretaker while Mom earns the bread -- but you cannot force a total evolutionary change in patterns of thinking in the same way. We are clever apes, to be sure - but still apes. Someone getting delusions of grandeur and walking into a death trap is pretty much how nature takes care of itself. No different than trying to build a jet pack in your backyard or self-medicate your way to health with some tree leaves. The smartest eventually survive.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 214 (view)

Posted: 12/1/2018 11:10:19 AM

I am not sure what a clearer evidence more than this, POF's moderator and other members need, to prove for them you are a stalker.

Reading your profile is not 'Stalking'. It's out there in the public domain. Just because you don't want someone reading it does not means you get to declare a label on them and make it stick for the rest of the world. We all have our own control over our own perceptions. You don't.
--------------------------------
I think that kind of alludes to what other people decide about dating a single dad, or anyone else in here - they have an idea of what they WANT their match be like, but most don't really have a clue what they SHOULD be like. They want the control to make the specific decision based on their fantasy traits, not necessarily what is practical or realistic. The ultimate power in here, online, is that decision to date, or not - beyond that, we are all really just victims of the truth. You are not the King or Queen of your domain in real life - not even close - yet we act like we are in here.

A dad being a parent may seem to be good for a single mom, but the caveat is the lack of time and scheduling to actually date. There are married men out there with children who have no freaking idea how to raise or discipline kids, and there are plenty who have never had children, but are part time guardians for foster kids or a babysitter uncle that really know what they are doing. Some men (and women) keep themselves absurdly busy with far too many hours at work or in the gym even though they have no kids and could easily make the time. Each and every situation is different.

We use the internet to toggle our decisions down to yes/no markers on points that can really be irrelevant. Do you NEED a guy six inches taller to feel secure? To be comfortable, do you NEED a woman who is half your size? In a practical, survey-type way the obvious answer is, 'No' - but we STILL cling to that fantasy ideal - because the internet allows us to imagine way too many possibilities. That's why the most attractive 15% get 85% of the online 'attention' - because in some way, we still all think we have a shot, or worse yet, DESERVE a better match than the last one.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 427 (view)

A man's actions are the key variable that determines whether a relationship survives or fails
Posted: 11/26/2018 1:37:37 PM

I'm talking about MAJOR , LIFE-ALTERING MISTAKES THAT CAN NEEDLESSLY THREATEN YOUR LIFE.

Like - crossing the street? Eating a grape? Driving to work? Daring to go out on the lawn to get the newspaper in January in your bathrobe?

People get killed for all kinds of willy-nilly unexpected, unplanned reasons. Life happens. You cannot stop it.
People who think that self-control and self-guidance is the only way to reach planned happiness are usually the idiots who get blind-sided at 9 am on some idle Tuesday morning.

Getting on a plane has risk. So does climbing into a roller-coaster. So does pumping gas at the local petrol station. People who run or jog every day still keel over from sudden heart attacks.

People who commit heinous assaults and other such crimes are MOST likely someone who is considered a friend or relative or acquaintance with which you have ALREADY exercised some degree of trust. That is NOT dependent on gender or how many risks are taken outside the normal operations of everyday life.

The high school boys in Baraboo, WI were waving at the camera last spring for a prom photo, and ten months later they are getting death threats from unknown internet trolls - along with their classmates, girlfriends, teachers and even local law enforcement. Who the hell saw THAT coming? You? Yeah, sure - riiiiiight. Hind sight being 20/20 makes that future prognostication a piece of cake to figure out.

Life-altering events happen ALL THE TIME. I can decide right this second - that a year from now I want to look like Schwarzenegger did in his Mr. Olympia days. I might die tomorrow trying to achieve that goal - or I might succeed. But it won't EVER happen if I don't accept the risk. Too many idiots out there spend their lives avoiding risk and pain and not enough time realizing it takes a lot of aches and pains to succeed at damn near anything. Sitting online on these dating sites is a lot like sitting on a street corner waiting for a handout - and then getting mad when someone gives you a quarter instead of a $20 bill. Realize your own absurdity sometime.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 14 (view)

What is the latest name-calling Buzz Word you have heard?
Posted: 11/24/2018 9:18:15 PM

About the only way to deal with people like that, is confronting them with your own demands. If it doesn't set well with them, they will go their own way, solving your problem.

It is simply amazing how many singles out there still believe they can DEMAND respect instead of earning it. I've been on more than one first date that I wished I had a mirror I could put up while they are giving their soapbox speeches. I really hate the idea of stooping to their level, but with some, anything less - they consider acceptance. For the people too far gone, becoming like them further enhances their theory that ALL people of the opposite gender are 'that' way - they simply refuse to see the world in any other light.

Being rejected a thousand times before, or being manipulated by just one bad relationship - still doesn't mean you deserve better from the next person.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 1 (view)

What is the latest name-calling Buzz Word you have heard?
Posted: 11/21/2018 9:25:09 AM
Not to make this too sexist, but I have waaay too many female friends in Facebook, and they just LOVE calling Ex's by names.
Ex friends, Ex spouses - it always seems like there is yet another way to cruelly identify these people they no longer like.
This last election cycle brought the extreme name-calling out of the dusty attic for even the most calm and cool of customers as well.

The latest name I've seen used more than once is 'Malignant Narcissist' -- which seems to be an over-the-top blanket term dumped on anyone who refuses to put the other person first.

What I find Ironic is most of the people doing the name-calling are usually showing strong traits of the name themselves. What have you heard?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 188 (view)

Posted: 11/6/2018 1:22:18 PM
Who are you voting for as Attorney General?
Why?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 5 (view)

Why Office Air Conditioning is Sexist
Posted: 10/31/2018 11:30:26 AM

From what I've experienced, men have a higher tolerance for temperature in both directions.

Tolerance in the sense they won't complain. Women whine about a lot of things, just simply to have something to talk about. It does NOT mean it is "intolerable".

In the video link the women use the term "Absolutely Freezing" a few different times. Sorry, but they are not talking about 32 degrees F, or zero C. It's a gross exaggeration of a temperature setting that's more or less where it has always been in the last 20 years. A few work places have lowered their standard temp by a few degrees for save on energy expenses, because changing temps from 72 F down to 68 F can save absurd amounts on money in the colder months.

Something else that has happened in the last 50 years is our workplace is losing personal space. Smaller, tighter cube farms, smaller offices, community work spaces are becoming more prevalent than ever. What that means is a lot of forced air ventilation and quarters so cramped the air conditioning needs to still be cooling and de-humidifying the air even in the wintertime.

I work an afternoon shift where half of it is spent in a crowded office noon to 5 pm, then spend a few hours in an office by myself as an aid for production personnel on 2nd shift. Climate settings DO change in the evening - some rooms they even shut down the ventilation altogether. Temps can fluctuate more than 2-4 degrees - more like ten or twelve. I keep clothes layers and a fan handy if I need to change my comfort - but the one thing I do NOT do - is complain. People of a certain character like to voice their opinions first (and loudly), THEN do something about it after they realize nobody will rescue them. I don't think that 'whiny' gene is exclusive to one gender - but it sure seems like it sometimes.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 2 (view)

Interesting things people say in their profile
Posted: 10/30/2018 11:32:52 AM
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14691007.aspx
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 10 (view)

Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 10/29/2018 3:03:06 PM

I'm on here because I refuse to pay money for matching.

Why not? Have you got something more important to do with your money? If you can’t afford it, that’s one thing. But if you can, and just refuse, then (IMHO) you’re just limiting yourself.

I was on paid sites for a while - on Match for about three years. My conclusion is the people using these universal paid sites are cut pretty much from the same cloth - hell, nearly 70% of them are the exact same people -- the only difference is the loftier expectations that come with paying and expecting more. Reality does not change. It's still the same menu. It's kind of like ordering ten chicken nuggets at McDonald's and expecting fourteen because you are willing to pay a dollar more. There is no requirement for them to give more than what is on the menu.

Speaking of a better way to spend my money.... mmmmmmmm...

People paying insane amounts for matching thru singles groups are paying for the adventures, or having dates with all expenses paid - that kind of thing - they are vetted from the 'ordinary' because of their extremely high prices, but it still doesn't mean their character or intelligence is better just because their wallet or fashion sense may be.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 7 (view)

Time wasters
Posted: 10/28/2018 8:49:27 PM
I fully agree with previous posters that waiting/expecting the guy to 'make a move' from a hint just isn't practical. Be OPEN with people online about what you think and what you want to do - if a guy can't get a hint sitting next to you, how the hell are they going to figure out context and motivations from a half dozen texts?

I categorize people by 15% attractive, 85% are the rest.

The 15% get 85% of the attention from everyone, so therefore, you are just another face in a crowd - and disposable. Both Men AND Women play the field in that way. A lot of people in here take offense to the mere suggestion that you should be looking for someone less attractive - that blind obsession with making the 'most' of life and 'never' settling -- but if you want to improve your chances, that is EXACTLY what it takes. A good soul and a great partner are not always found in shiny packaging. Decent people don't have to match your wish list 100%
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 10/27/2018 10:42:45 AM

Your answer kind of really explains why you've had problems with relationships. You've never been able to understand how to respond to women.

I've only had two long-term relationships. One was dating and marriage for close to fifteen years, the second lasted almost three years with a woman long-distance who had AD/HD and just became too unbearable over time. Everything else I have run into was pretty much a one-and-done date - a lot of snap decisions made in the first fifteen seconds, sometimes over the phone or even because of something I said in a text. I have tried to make it work with all kinds of train wrecks, and the bottom line that kept me around was the effort the WOMAN made to get to know me, to please, me, to try and make me happy. Even if their methods were seriously flawed, I understood the effort and stuck with it.

Sorry, but it is not always how men respond to women - it's how selfish women get after being taken advantage of - or being taken care of too well.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 4 (view)

Plenty of Fakes
Posted: 10/26/2018 6:34:58 PM
Matching people with ANY dating service is a mathematical long shot - it only takes a handful of 50/50 decisions to whittle a list of thousands down to one or two, and the women are playing the same game. That means your odds combined are probably less than being hit by lightning. And carrying a 1-iron around doesn't increase your odds with the ladies.

Just because you might have found a connection a couple times through other channels does not mean the site doesn't work for others. I'm on here because I refuse to pay money for matching. There are other free sites as well, and I have been there, too. You still need to get out and have a life of your own.

Best advice - be humble. Your status in here, your opinions, your life - for most in here - is less important than their pet goldfish. Realize no matter how good you may sell yourself, many simply are just NOT buying.

Next advice - be positive. You get more attention with sugar, not vinegar. It's very tempting to use these profiles like a blog detailing your experiences, but the next average Jane stumbling upon your profile does not know, and for the most part, will not care what happened before. All they are looking at is your present tense of mind and the perceived potential to be a partner.

Last advice - show some character. Using vague terms like 'Adventure' means nothing - you might as well call yourself 'New' and 'Improved'. Don't just say you like Ice Cream - name a flavor. Don't just say you like Movies - throw a couple titles out there. You have far too many pictures of your face that look like a row of mug shots - get a pic photo bombing a celebrity, or in front of a local landmark, or using depth of field pretending to 'eat' a Burger King sign in the background. Use humor. Be yourself. Just avoid the obscene gestures and molesting farm animals. Those photos NEVER work. Don't ask me how I know that. ;)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 10/26/2018 6:10:12 PM
This sounds more like whining.

Women want to feel empowered to take over traditional male roles like Head of Household, Breadwinner and other Alpha decision making and status marks. Good for them. Just keep in mind, doing such doesn't mean you can force a guy to take over the bulk of the beta emotions and carry FEELINGS and conversations the way women have genetically for a millennia. Guys can't reprogram themselves to talk non-stop on the phone for hours on end, cry during kleenex commercials, spend way too much time deciding where the sofa goes, and feel a mad compulsion to buy automotive accessories simply because they are "ON SALE". Guys can change diapers and wash dishes and fold laundry, to be sure - those household tasks can - and should - be interchangeable - but the way men/women think, speak, and translate ideas is STILL a Mars/Venus kind of interaction. Expecting a guy to carry the load of household tasks is no big deal - but making him empathize what kind of 'feelings' you get once a month - you might as well be explaining it to the dog for all the good it will do. Understanding each other is still going to take a lot of effort, and reading stories like this should not give anyone an excuse to take a shortcut.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 16 (view)

Using different names?
Posted: 10/26/2018 5:53:08 PM
The last long term relationship I had was about four years ago. The only evidence a woman was ever in the house is a few pink disposable razors and a pink travel-sized can of shaving cream in the medicine cabinet that are probably five years old. Visitors and relatives STILL find them on occasion. I tell them if you are not going to use them, leave them for the next needy soul that needs a trim.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 4 (view)

Using different names?
Posted: 10/24/2018 1:44:45 PM

Just wondering why people choose a different name..

In a word... Google

It's just far too easy to find someone with the same identity markers across websites - and the composite knowledge from a few of them is all that is really needed to find out far more than they want you to know.

The same pictures used across sites is easily the worst crime. A nice, smiling professional photo in here will more than likely e on a couple other dating sites, their LinkedIn page, and Facebook, to name a few. Using the same nickname or alias does happen, but not as often.

If I see the same mugshot in here as on something like Tinder, and the nicknames are at least similar (say, "Jen_1973" and "JGirl73") it proves to me - they are a legitimate, congruous person and not afraid to allow someone to at least know their first name. It gives them a bit of credibility. If they list their profiles by a legitimate name, but use a totally different name on another site (say, "Tammy" and "Michelle") - that leads to suspicion that EITHER name is honest - or that they are capable of being truthful. You can argue anything you want about internet security - but a lie is a lie - just like someone fibbing about their height or age - and we CAN be skeptical about them until proven otherwise.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 137 (view)

oh, they know--and they're certain they don't want it from you
Posted: 10/23/2018 2:39:23 PM
Bearcat is history. Looking at the last 25 posts in these forums, all he did was spam his MGTOW video links in all kinds of threads. I'm surprised someone didn't catch and report the dude a week ago.

I still take the stand that more people know what they do NOT want than what they actually do. Make a list of both - see which one gets filled up first. Maybe it's time to check that list again and realize it's not about the items themselves - but maybe how you tolerate them.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 2 (view)

Invasion of the Hexadecimal women
Posted: 10/22/2018 2:28:02 PM

These look like computer generated accounts.

Eureka! You figured it out. Geeeeeeenious!

But, sorry to all those conspiracy nuts who want to blame the POF mothership for their online problems - but these fake accounts are the works of spammers and con artists, not POF itself. If you bother to entertain a conversation with one of these fakes online, you quickly realize all they want to do is glean your personal information - email account or phone number - which usually means drawing you OFF the POF site as soon as possible and communicate with the Cons directly.

POF has absolutely no reason to pull you off their site -- they want you online searching, so your participation feeds their click dollars.

POF has search and destroy algorithms set up to find these phonies, but since it is a free site, it is free to create any account - they can only REACT after the creation to the fishy actions taken by certain accounts, and block the URL's at their source - which means a phony can get online and try to reach out for maybe an hour or two before the ban hammer strikes. Most any account in here with a weird name or photos that just don't fit - a good rule of thumb is wait an hour, and see if they disappear. Time heals all wounds, and wounds all heels - unless you are the President.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 92 (view)

How men mathematically sleep with more people than women
Posted: 10/22/2018 2:14:58 PM
To be clear, Men's Rights Movements are NOT MGTOW. Mens rights, like women's rights, are about using the current system to create change through laws and regulations and public awareness.

MGTOW is about guys who have holed themselves up in their own little worlds where they can't be wrong. That's why most of their protests are online, where people can stay at home and be the lords of their own domain, sitting behind glowing screens, filtering out everything except what they want to hear.

The sorry part is, a lot of other political and social movements are becoming the exact same thing. A lot of people sitting at home choosing to watch, read, communicate with, and order online exactly what they want, and really don't give a damn about anyone else. If you want to affect change, real change - you still have to get out there and realize what the rest of the world is like. Part of that is not believing stupid assumptions made about dating relationships in here, or over-the-top assumptions about the other gender without some sort of homework. It doesn't take much research to realize when someone is full of crap, but it's just amazing how many people are simply too lazy to figure it out. Or don't want to.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 15 (view)

POF is Sexist against Men
Posted: 10/19/2018 1:25:24 PM
Dude - it's a profile on a dating site, not a blog. Nobody is going to heed that much gobbledeygook no matter how poignant or brilliant you may think it is.

Book smarts has never equaled social intelligence. A complaint in this forum is not the same as a full page ad in a nationwide newspaper.

Lesson ONE - learn to be humble. Your opinion matters about as much as mine does, which is only slightly more than the goldfish on the desk in the office next to me.

Lesson TWO - Any complaint, compliment or critique about ANY person in here can (and will) be taken as a personal offense. Because the context of the reader will not match the context of the writer. And the context of the reader is all that really matters.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 61 (view)

dom dom dom dom....dom dom dom dom...
Posted: 10/19/2018 10:54:56 AM
www.npr.org/2018/10/18/658442355/times-journalists-puncture-myth-of-trump-as-self-made-billionaire
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 57 (view)

Is it Obama - or the black man - that is hated?
Posted: 10/18/2018 12:11:00 PM
Anyone notice how much of the conservative anger is directed at people that are NOT white males?

Hilary Clinton / Barack Obama / Nancy Pelosi / even Sarah Palin - even after some of these people are out of office, far removed from current politics - people still pull quotes and they STILL get heat. People still have anger towards Jesse Jackson and Geraldine Ferraro, for chrissake. Where is the heat on Al Gore nowadays? On Joe Biden? John Kerry? People can proclaim until they are blue in the face that the reason they are complaining is the 'politics' of certain people - but in terms of sheer volume of 'blame storming' - women and minorities are constantly fixed into the eye of the hurricane.

One of my Congressmen in MN is Keith Elison, a black and a Muslim - and hated vehemently by all conservatives from the moment he was elected. They have been calling for his head on a platter ever since the rumor he was involved in domestic abuse. After fighting to keep their divorce records confidential, a conservative news outlet and the local paper forced a judge to release them. Turns out HE WAS THE ABUSED, NOT THE ABUSER, and both parties were ashamed of what had happened. After months of name calling and vitriol from news outlets, conservative politicos and domestic abuse victims -- the silence is deafening.

www.startribune.com/keith-ellison-divorce-file-shows-no-abuse-allegation-against-him-by-ex-wife/497840751/

People can creatively cut down opponents without an inkling for anything bigoted or racist - and in the past couple of decades have seemingly became experts at it - but in terms of sheer volume of demonizing remarks against opponents, IMHO it is without question many, many conservatives out there cannot stand the idea of a woman or minority having ANY kind of power over them, whether real or perceived, shared views or not. I can't even call it sad. It's pathetic.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 23 (view)

Guys searching for you on FaceBook, etc., without asking & before you have met
Posted: 10/18/2018 11:01:46 AM
Even being Friends on Facebook doesn't always reveal the full truth. I have several married women as Friends that constantly post photos of themselves on Girls Night Out, or at events with their kids - but have next to nothing in there with their Significant Other. Sure, someone has to hold the camera to take pics, but who posts what is usually up to the owner. Why are there not more pics with the hubby? What is going on? I really wonder sometimes if they take a step back and realize what other people see. One family Christmas photo a year is not exactly what I would consider a happy couple.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 122 (view)

Posted: 10/17/2018 3:19:58 PM

I think the problem is that women know what they want but think they can't get that so try to settle and then they realize certain things can't be compromised.

I want a guy who is kind and cares about me. Looks-wise, I want someone taller than me and of medium or larger build. Not a fussy eater and likes the food I cook (I'm a good cook and I love trying new recipes and a variety of different ethnic cuisines). Its important to me to find a guy who has an interest in being heathy, including eating better and exercising. Bonus points if he likes hockey, rugby or soccer. And he has to be good with kids. And he has to like sex.

Math exercise: Just general assumptions, not researched facts...
------------------------------------------------------
All other factors being equal - say, 1,000 potentials
1) Likes to have sex - Obvious majority - say 98% - probably a little generous, but...
98% of 1,000 = 980
2) Taller than 5' 8" - since 5' 10" is median height - about 66%
66% of 980 = 647
3) Medium or larger build - so not overweight or underweight - about 40%
40% of 647 = 259
4) Interested in being healthy - eating better - and exercise - three points in one, but assume more than half are still O.K.
60% of 259 = 156 (rounding up)
5) Not a fussy eater - more than half
60% of 156 = 94
6) Like your cooking - no offense, but women always think they cook better than they can
45% of 156 = 71
7) Good with kids - HIGHLY subjective - 'having kids' would be 50% - being 'Good' - substantially less
31% of 71 = 22 (probably a generous percentage)
8) Sports fan of your choice - say more than likely, but not everyone
78% of 22 = 18 (rounding up)

That little paragraph chops 1,000 people down to 18. Seems like 18 would be do-able, right? But what about the guys' checklist, too? They have a few deal breakers. It certainly wouldn't take much to hack that 18 into several decimal points below "1". My point is that knowing what you want doesn't mean THAT is what is going to be available. There is absolutely nothing out there to prove those 18 guys would even care that you exist, much less want them.

Having a wish list is cool - gives us goals to strive for - but there is a point when you gotta realize what is possible and what is just - that little kid circling every-other toy in the Christmas catalog - hoping Santa will deliver. Men AND women are both guilty of this pleasure - and just because the catalog has grown as big as the internet itself, doesn't make those choices any less childish.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 13 (view)

Guys searching for you on FaceBook, etc., without asking & before you have met
Posted: 10/17/2018 2:49:56 PM
It is insanely easy to find the identity of someone online, and it doesn't take any software or skills more elaborate than knowing what to look for on Google. Usually it doesn't take much more than a first name or phone number or a photo. Similar links for Divorce records, LinkedIn Profiles, Instagram - the stuff is there, and easily accessible. People really need to accept that the data is out there, and free to search, and easy to find.

I find sharing texts with someone over the phone - their phone number is tied into their Facebook account - as is mine - so the second I create a phone number in my contact list -- their face pops up as "People You May Know" in Facebook. It's stuff like that where people don't even need to try to work at it - and still get labeled as a 'stalker' because other people are just stupid about privacy settings.

As far as actually searching or Friending a Facebook account - well, to put it bluntly, people lie. They may call it 'privacy' or some sort of lawyer-like legal description, but basically - it's about control. What people put out on these dating sites - indeed, what people create and release to the public on their social media pages - is just an image of what they WANT others to think of them - not necessarily the truth.

The deliberate avoidance of revealing information is somehow NOT considered equally sinful to supplying false info, and yet, it can steer people into totally wrong impressions very quickly. Finding out their hidden stuff they reveal only to their 'friends' usually makes a clearer picture. And pictures are usually the part that tells the truth - more than anything else. Just one single family picture can show more information than most would discover through a month of text messages, or in two years if you are communicating with a real control freak.

Can people be exploited or intimated by that kind of information? Sure. If they don't understand that it was gained online with a simple Google search, it can be as scary as hell trying to figure out how they know -- but that fear is NOT THEIR PROBLEM - it's yours, for allowing them to get under your skin from something as benign as a Google Street view photo of your house. The internet is a helluva lot more than just the tiny porthole you log into every evening after work, so it's time to learn to use it as an asset, not something to fear.

All that being said, boasting about searching or revealing extracurricular explorations is usually a huge social No-No. Only azzhats lacking intelligence and courtesy do that kind of crap. Keep that to yourself, be polite with your assumptions, and give the other person a chance to reveal themselves comfortably. What you dig up is more for YOUR peace of mind that it ever will be for anyone else. It usually doesn't take too long for a phony to reveal their true colors anyway.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 112 (view)

Posted: 10/16/2018 2:48:46 PM
Knowing what you want - People know they want to be 'Happy' - but how many people know exactly what it is that makes them 'happy'?

Knowing what you want in the abstract doesn't mean you know the path to get there. Not even close. People are guessing - wildly bad sometimes - on how to get that feeling.

Happy
Sated
Secure
Healthy

It's all generic terms - like 'Improved' or 'Better' - and it really means nothing if you cannot elaborate past the abstract, and totally means nothing if you refuse to evaluate past mistakes made by your own decisions.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 45 (view)

The End Of Obamadom &c
Posted: 10/15/2018 2:43:54 PM
A quote from a comedian in the 1980's when Reagan was still President comes to mind...
"You can't blame the President for everything that's wrong with this country. That's like blaming Ronald McDonald if you get a bad cheeseburger."

Every circus needs its clown, so we can laugh at their predicaments and pain. If you are still angrily hunting down someone who retired from the Big Top to prove a point - that makes YOU the one being laughed at now.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 54 (view)

6 Classes of Single Moms
Posted: 10/15/2018 1:50:53 PM
Type 8 Mom -
Has a professional degree in a high-paying field, such as doctor, laywer, marketing executive or real estate. Married to her job. Makes loads of cash but doesn't know what to do with it, because she has no free time, not a lot of friends and does absolutely nothing for volunteer work. Probably has some past baggage or abuse issues as a child but refuses to do counseling, thus the over-achieving and vindictive personality. Ends up spending her surplus dollars paying for lawyers to keep her Ex out of the picture with frivolous abuse filings and uses the court system to manipulate him completely out of the kids' lives because she is 'Mom'. Raises a couple kids who end up hating her because they realize at about age 15 how much of a nut job she truly has been, and that the housekeeper she hired (off Dad's alimony payments) has been more of a Mom than she ever could be.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 43 (view)

The End Of Obamadom &c
Posted: 10/15/2018 1:38:26 PM

"Sure you can talk about my country's politics all you want...... but if you started characterizing people about their tolerance levels based on whether they were democratic or republican (i.e., like Searle)....then you would simply show yourself to be another know nothing prima-donna as Searle has shown himself to be."

Shhhhhh. The act of union was carried out by James v1. A Scot. But you folk from texas have not got much knowledge about anywhere else in the world eh? Although hundreds of your counties are named after Scots.

And with the last line... yet ANOTHER Prima Donna has joined the group! Welcome to the ME parade!
Now that everyone has signed in, where is Alex Trebec to preside over this motley crew? I hear the theme music playing now...
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 30 (view)

The End Of Obamadom And, Obamaland
Posted: 10/11/2018 1:59:41 PM
The stack market plunge of the last couple days -- in about six months will be blamed on the people that haven't been elected yet this November. I'm sure of it. Can't be the fault of the people in power now, right?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 28 (view)

The End Of Obamadom And, Obamaland
Posted: 10/10/2018 7:01:00 PM
I find it curious how many remarks and claims against Obama have no frame for time passed.

Lehman Brothers filed for Bankruptcy on September 15, 2008 - the lead event in the Great Recession. Bush was still President, and Obama had not even been elected yet. The man didn't inherit a block of clay to mold into a prosperous nation in January of 2009 - he got a steaming cow pie. Spent most of the first year trying to clean up the sh1t after it got spread far and wide. Funny how ten years later, people are still trying to throw manure in his face when he isn't anything more than a registered voter in the D.C. area. It's time to figure out that creating a demon out of an ex politician makes about as much sense as complain about a bad meal from Sambo's restaurant (defunct since 1982).
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 443 (view)

Do nice guys finish last?
Posted: 10/10/2018 6:24:39 PM

But, no, according to you, women don't deserve respect.

ALL Human beings totally deserve respect. What they don't deserve - is attitude. And bad assumptions. One bad flake doesn't have to ruin the whole cereal bowl, just pick the thing out and work with what you have.

What really bugs the crap outta me is this total demonization of ANY person, group or demographic that even has the appearance of not fully supporting someone else's agenda. "If you are not FOR us, then you are AGAINST us," kind of crap. It has totally replaced any kind of decent or skillful debate, negotiation or compromise. That is NOT a trademark of a civil society - it's a mark of a selfish one. Just because I stay silent to listen to both sides does not make me a freakin' enemy.

Being a white male does not mean I raped women during Viet Nam, doesn't mean I had controlling interest in Enron or Lehman Brothers, or voted 'For' some of the more hideous laws regarding abortion, tax breaks for the rich, or stupid voting regulations. I was Nine years old when Reagan was elected, and got shot. I barely even remember the passing of Nixon or Hubert Humphrey. I certainly don't have control over political decision making beyond my One vote - which is all that most really have.

Talk to me in a civil or friendly tone, and I just might have some ideas that could make a real difference -- label me the azzhole right away, and I will more than likely do something to live up to THAT label. That's not just about political leanings - it's everything. Treat me a like a potential rapist or abusive husband without even finding out my name, and just take a wild guess how engaged or interested I will be in YOUR life. This quiet guy at the end of the bar reading a book could have saved your life if you were choking, or being beaten behind some alley by your drunk boyfriend - but since the need never arose, I'm now the ENEMY?!? (Or more than likely, assumed to be a serial killer) Snarks breed and feed MORE snark.

Geez, there is a point when you have to stop and smell what you have been shoveling around, or more presently, what you have been forwarding thru Facebook from mysterious sources.

Nice guys don't need hero worship to feel good about themselves - but they also don't need to be sh1t on with the baggage of a thousand bad encounters.

Show ALL Forums