Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Dude.. you're shooting empies.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 45 (view)

Dude.. you're shooting empies.
Posted: 8/17/2018 2:18:43 AM
I think we get the point .
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 326 (view)

Random Music - Lets Sing About Everthing
Posted: 8/16/2018 10:55:50 AM
I have five whole teenager free days as my boy has gone away with his dad.It's bliss already. He finished his GSCEs at the start of June and has been hanging around teh house ever since. We've had the builders in since the start of the month so been confined to the one room downstairs. I've gotta go to work tomorrow but then I have sat,sun and Mon. Dunno what I'm gonna do but I'm happy already at not having to listen to him yelling and swearing at his friends on teh x box.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 150 (view)

Random Musings - Talk About Everthing
Posted: 3/23/2018 4:24:48 PM
I went to see ol Rodders a few years back.It was dead corny but a right old singalong and great fun. I wonder if he gets pissed off at never being able to actually sing some /most of his songs on his own?

Birth certificates are not subject to data protection act. Same for deaths, marriages, wills, house deeds.All public records and anyone can get the info. Once I sent my dad's will off to get probate, we never got the original back. It's kept by the government. I just went and searched for it online a minute ago and can get a copy for a tenner. So can anyone if they wanna be a nosy basket.

There's a difference between a copy and a certified copy. Only certified (by a solicitor or govt dept ) copies of documents have any legal standing. Vlad, all the gal in the library is doing is stamping the documents to say she has seen the original document you had ( copy or not) and the photocopy She is not certifying the document as genuine cos she has no way of knowing. Realistically a birth certificate , original or copy doesn't prove who you are anyway. You coulda picked it up off the floor for all anyone knows.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 135 (view)

Posted: 3/21/2018 8:05:00 AM
birth certificates are often not accepted as proof of id these days Vlad. Recently went through the process of obtaining probate after my dad died , then selling his house. Had to provide id about a million times .Birth certificate not allowed( even the original ) for exactly the reasons you describe.....it's so easy to get hold of a copy .
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 48 (view)

Questioning the media message
Posted: 3/16/2018 4:11:41 PM
No idea what to believe really but this is an interesting article

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2018/03/16/killing-diplomacy-dmitry-orlov/
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 88 (view)

earworms
Posted: 3/8/2018 3:41:16 PM
haha under 13s disco. I went to one of them every Thursday night at St.Johns church youth club and every other saturday at St.Michaels church. Didn't have the joy of a multi coloured dance floor though.

Roxy ... there used to be a comp every week at the church disco!
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 85 (view)

earworms
Posted: 3/8/2018 3:29:16 PM
bloody D.I.S.C.O by ottawan.

Had the realisation a couple of weeks back that my attempts at throwing a few shapes now resemble an unfortunate hybrid of soul train and 1980s world disco dancing champs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdNTRNLsrrs
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 24 (view)

Snowmageddon
Posted: 3/1/2018 1:59:32 PM
ach, how I could rant about hospital transport and the seeming complete indifference to elderly and frail patients.But I won't today.

Last night for reasons unknown I decided to take a detour up a very narrow dead end track .I really really wished I hadn't.I attempted to turn round and got stuck between a car and a tree bank. (nowt to do with snow, more to do with narrow).I'm pretty sure the guy who heard a random stranger rapping on his window on a dark and snowy night( I couldn't find the door) did not expect to spend half an hour freezing his bollocks off , directing me back and forward in a million point turn.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 233 (view)

The feel good thread
Posted: 3/1/2018 3:32:05 AM
Tomorrow, over a month after it was sposed to happen and we really believed the sale was gonna fall through , is completion on the sale of my dad's house. And yesterday I went to view exactly the right house for me and my boy , made an offer and it was accepted. Had to have a little drive round there last night and have looked on rightmove a few times to see it 'sold , subject to contract' So so excited!!!
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 48 (view)

Posted: 2/26/2018 3:00:34 AM
my mum used to buy frozen yoghurts from bejam, then boxes of broken biscuits from shoppers paradise next door.

I regularly shop in Iceland. They have loads of good fresh stuff, still a load of unhealthy frozen crap but also a whole load of reasonably healthy frozen crap these days too.

I lived my childhood on a council estate(bar the first two years which were in a caravan) and it was absolutely fine. To be fair, my home town being a new town was one massive council estate really.It's a large majority student housing now.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 44 (view)

Posted: 2/25/2018 4:03:59 PM
totally love skippy.Got 3 dvds of all the episodes that my son watched over and over again when he was little. Don't remember watching them at all when I was a kid, though my mum used to be adamant that I had.

And the littlest hobo.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 141 (view)

The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 6:56:57 AM
I just learnt how to do a j turn!! According to youtube, its easy once you know how. So I'm off down Sainsbrys car park to try. ( where I once did a double 360 degree turn in the snow and somehow managed not to injure myself, the car, anything or anyone else.)
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 116 (view)

The feel good thread
Posted: 2/7/2018 3:02:40 PM
my lawn is about 10% lawn, the rest is moss, dandelions, thistles, clover, and bluebells .The bluebells arrived about 5 years ago, just a couple, now they cover the front at the right time of year and a few have sneaked round the back. No idea where they came from. I've cursed the 'lawn' at times over the years , forgetting and walking on it bare foot and getting thistled. But I will be moving soon and I'll sorta miss it. Most of the houses I've been looking at have postage stamp gardens. I don't feed the birdies cos I have cats.One can't catch a bird to save his life but the other is a demon.

Today's feelgood factor. I had a great big fry up for dinner, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans and fried bread. Haven't done that for ages.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 8 (view)

Holiday 2018
Posted: 1/9/2018 10:00:02 AM
New Quay and around is gorgeous. Sat for ages watching the dolphins in the bay.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 424 (view)

Brexit...is far more important than our $70 trillion economy leveraged to over $2 thousand trillion dollars
Posted: 1/9/2018 9:54:13 AM
why do cars lose their value so quickly? In the months before he died my dad gave me his car cos he could no longer drive and I was driving him everywhere anyway . It was new August 2015. I had to find out it's value for me to insure it just over 2 years later, this summer gone and it was 'worth' only just over half what my dad paid for it. I read somewhere that they lose 10% the minute they are driven away from the garage. You've gotta be a bit of a mug to buy a new car outright.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 14 (view)

You and the site
Posted: 1/6/2018 12:34:57 PM
Joined here in 2009. Been here on and off under different names since. Haven't been on a date in years but it's not like I've made any effort. Just been chatting with friends and have decided on the spur of the moment that that will be my new years resolution. Go on a date.I'll give it till, ooh this time tomorrow , till I change my mind about the effort.

To answer teh question.I don't have a cut off point. If I were putting a lot of time into it , maybe I would. And you never know who could be round the corner ( or not!)
 flossiescratchwood

Christmas & Boxing Day 2017
Posted: 12/28/2017 5:06:49 PM
Well christmas day was a day to remember.Stayed at son's granny and grandads, the outlaws. Ex Father in law decided to launch himsself down the stairs.Copious blood spillage, a worrying few minutes before he responded properly, lying face down, arm at a very weird skewiffy angle. Ambulance called , me and mother in law rest of day in A and E.Got home 9/9.30pm. FIL stayed in overnight, returned Boxing Day with a big fat nose stitched all the way up the middle, two terrific black eyes and a badly dislocated shoulder.

Not sure how the paramedics concentrated with all the grandad, grandson banter going on....3 lairy lads ...who's your favourite grandson, what's your PIN grandad, you're in our safe hands grandad. Did the job , distracted him a bit till the gas and air and morphine kicked in!

Boxing Day was somewhat of an anti climax after that peformance.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 86 (view)

Bitcoin - just how bonkers is it..fifty years of fiat..the young can neither afford a house or a pension..with worse to come..
Posted: 12/23/2017 6:09:25 PM
bloody hell I had a ford cortina mark 4 in 88/89. Bought it for 115 quid and sold it for 50 18 months later. I just looked looked on ebay and they're going for 6000!

It was like driving a tank. And there's surely not an uglier car in existance.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 6 (view)

Factoids
Posted: 12/7/2017 4:12:13 PM
fish can live on land.

Blennies.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 58 (view)

Does anybody actually enjoy living alone?
Posted: 12/5/2017 4:20:53 PM
roll out some puff pastry, spread it with cranberry sauce and sprinkle with bacon bits. In the middle put ya brie or camembert.. Cut,twizzle, plait , fold, whatever your pastry .Bake .Pull off bits and dip it in the cheese.
 flossiescratchwood

does she want to go out?
Posted: 12/4/2017 11:27:45 AM
No

flossiescratchwood
Msg: 18 (view)

The feel good thread
Posted: 12/1/2017 4:41:07 PM
It was my birthday today and it was a total non event on the whole. Felt like crap as well. And I fell asleep this evening too by accident instead of going out.

My son though , when I got home from work, had laid a trail for me( like I used to do for him on different occasions when he was little). One prezzie on the computer keyboard, with a note under it telling me where to go next , sending me in all directions around the house to find others. I have to say I was a tad alarmed when one note said 'lift up the toilet seat lid'! He'd covered the loo in cling film and put a note on top thank goodness.

A collection of lovely things to eat. And I think the most thought he has ever put into my birthday
 flossiescratchwood

Angela Lansbury - Common sense she wrote
Posted: 11/29/2017 5:21:40 PM
I'm not sure that Angela Lansbury is making much sense with that quote at all. A woman's level of attractiveness shouldn't have ANY repercussions.

The article however makes a lot of sense.

Some men are getting a richly deserved comeuppance and if it makes one bullying idiot think a bit more about his behaviour then that's a good thing. But as with all things there is a balance , there is a middle ground and it seems to be sadly lacking. Some of these guys are being thrown to the wolves and crucified with zero evidence.

I can't quite get my head round some of these women making claims of x, y or z ' touching' my knee ( or in one case brushing so gently she wasn't sure if it was a touch or not) It is very easy to make it known that it is unwelcome, without being rude or with being rude if the guy is thick or persistent.Surely not every adult woman can be that delicate a flower that they can't deal with that? And surely the rest of us needn't be QUITE so outraged that some bloke dared to touch some woman's knee? Jeez, if no one ever touched anyone's knee ( or something similar) no actual relationships would ever get off the ground would they?

It does make sense to look out for yourself. Ideally no woman should have to think how to best protect themselves. And all men should be able to control themselves. Unfortunately that is not the world we live in and if I had a daughter I would do my darndest to make sure she got that message. Obviously that is not to excuse or condone any man who harms a woman because actually there is no excuse.

The atmosphere at the moment is horrific. I am all for women being believed but right now that seems to be the ONLY option on offer in some quarters without any tiniest consideration of the overall picture. There was an incident recently involving the daughter of someone I know. Her and her ex ( they are both 11) had an argument and he shoved her against the wall. My instinctive reaction was that this was schoolyard argy bargy , which obviously needed to be sorted out but that's the extent of it. I didn't say anything initially and then watched the responses pour in , telling the mother to report it to the police, it was violence against women , it needed to be recorded cos it would inevitably happen again with this boy and there would be a paper trail and on and on. An 11 year old boy and they want him to have a police record. Then someone made the perfectly reasonable suggestion that the other side of the story should be obtained before going any further. Absolute heresey ..... the only important thing was that a girl was believed. The boy was being hung , drawn and quartered by all and sundry.

I would not like to turn back the clock to my school days and teenage years when some completely unacceptable behaviour went on and no one ever did a thing about it. It was disgraceful what most of the girls in my school had to put up with for a few years before the boys grew out of it. Not me, I was far too aggressive and wild tempered for anyone to mess with me more than once but some of the meeker girls, my sister included. So I am glad that these days that type of behaviour is not tolerated. On the other hand as the mother of a 15 year old boy I am scared for him and his friends as they attempt to negotiate this bloody minefield where the slightest wrong word or touch could lead to a complete shitstorm.

This stuff is quite hard to say without being accused of being some sort of apologist. Which I am not. In any way shape or form.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 6 (view)

The feel good thread
Posted: 11/27/2017 6:13:04 PM
I went to Budapest ! I went for a day ( trip from Austria) many moons ago and said I would return. It has taken me well over 20 years . Two years ago I was going and then crap happened. Last year, the day before , I discovered my passport had run out. So this was third time lucky. And I loved it again.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 389 (view)

Vote deleted please...NO!
Posted: 11/22/2017 2:46:52 PM
The giant's Causeway was on my list of places to visit for many many years. Few years back went. We were sitting laughing at a wedding party who were there for photos.....all the women tottering their way over the rocks in their heels. Then I stood up and went nose first down the Causeway , rolled and bounced over and over till I almost reached the sea. I can remember with total clarity every bounce thinking right , this is the last one, next one's gonna smash my skull in.

That aside, absolutely loved the whole of that coast...wild and beautiful. And dark hedges... found them sort of by accident from looking at a leaflet.Didn't know about them and only found out after they are famous cos of Game of Thrones.
 flossiescratchwood

The uncool music that you like
Posted: 11/20/2017 4:17:27 PM
I started off this evening in a fairly reasonable manner on youtube but it rapidly deteriorated into Barry White, Beejees, 'love is in the air', 'you'll never find another love like mine', 'can't take my eyes off you, Frankie Vallie , a stack of pretty terrible disco. On the way , listening to this old bunch of corn came across this flash mob which is very distinctly totally uncool but really made me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nECapfjJLig
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 134 (view)

The way women reject a dude online...
Posted: 10/29/2017 4:03:06 PM
fuck ...it's ALL bloody boring. Which is why no one else wants to join in. It's not just 10ky who has driven everyone else away from participating. There's a few here need to take a long hard look in the mirror cos they don't realise just how stupid, boring, mad , pedantic, full of themselves and full of shit they are. And/or....take your pick.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 30 (view)

At the cinema
Posted: 10/10/2017 5:50:38 PM

Looking forward to Kingsman-The Golden Circle

I wouldn't bother if I was you. I was really looking forward to seeing this after the first one .Thought it would be a good antidote to the stress I've been under recently. Half an hour into it I would have been quite happy to leave...stayed to the end and it didn't get any better. Biggest pile of messy poop I've seen in a while.Soooooo disappointed.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 13 (view)

At the cinema
Posted: 10/2/2017 5:51:28 PM
Spent much of the summer hols re-watching old action movies and thrillers with my son.

I love the aliens, predators and alien vs predator films.
years ago before anyone even thought to put them together, I did.

The main feature of the summer was just this.The boy decided we needed to do the lot. I'd seen all the aliens except the prometheus and covenant but of the others only predator, not 2 and 3 nor alien vs predator. I have to say the 2nd alien vs predator film is one of the most ridiculously funny thing I have ever seen.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 30 (view)

Weird crush people you shouldnt fancy. But you do
Posted: 8/28/2017 5:03:30 PM
Joe Walsh ..he of The Eagles and other bands. He's a bit old now though.

And Paulo Nutini...and he's a bit , well young. Not weird though really.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 60 (view)

Natural anti-cancer remedies
Posted: 8/14/2017 4:05:57 AM

As bleak as it may seem, cancer and other illnesses actually cause positive effects as well as negative effects. It motivates people and binds them together where they might have simply drifted along through life, and changes their way of thinking........... Life has reasons.

When my mum died of cancer in Feb 2015 I would haven't agreed with that....a year down the line I thought slightly differently.It did change me massively. I wouldn't say life has reasons though...there is little that can counteract what she lived with for 7 years and nothing on earth could counteract on the pain my mum went through towards the end There simply is no 'reason' for that suffering good enough.

April last year when my dad had his bladder removed due to bladder cancer and April this year when he had radiotherapy for a return performance I failed to see the reason but accepted there were probably causes earlier in his life that led to this. I guess you could say that these two examples make me KNOW the importance of living now and not when it's too late.

Now my sister is undergoing chemo for stage 3 ovarian cancer and the chemo is not working. She is 48 and at this moment we really don't know how long she has. For many many reasons I owe it to my sister to lead the very best life I can. But no, there can come from this absolutely no positive.....only heartbreak for her, her husband, her stepdaughter, me , my son and all the other many people that love her so much. There is NOTHING in this world worth this and there is NOTHING good that can come from it. She continues to live well, at the points in the cycle that she can and we continue to have fun together while we can and we are making the very most of her time we can...cos bar a miracle it seems right now very limited.

I'm wondering what life's 'reason' for this is . I can't see one and however it changes or motivates or binds people together I don't imagine I ever will. It is random and shit.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 278 (view)

More pages than Shrimpy wanted
Posted: 7/12/2017 3:59:11 PM
haha try .... when we saw that pic of the so called wild cat me and the boy decided it was the big fat ginger **stard who lurks around up the allotment and shits in the carrot patch.

oh wrong picture...there's one floating around from just a few weeks ago....'big cat' caught in someone's headlights . Looks distinctly like the big fat ginger bastard and looks highly unlikely to have more than a nibble at a deer's ear.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 269 (view)

Posted: 7/6/2017 12:59:27 PM
blimey a woodpecker...brave cat ( or stupid) !!!

I came downstairs to a still warm crow lying on it's back the other morning. I was astounded.The crow was nearly as big as the cat and there had obviously been a kerfuffle in the hall going by all the feathers. The cat is a tiny boy really.Very strong and muscular ...tiny but mighty. He also has bought home a rat and rabbit recently.Come the apocalypse , he won't starve. The other lad only manages moths and will be following him around saying can I have a bit please? Most probably so will we.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 264 (view)

Posted: 7/5/2017 6:33:07 AM
think my record number of goes around a roundabout is 6. Was a bloody big one though so we didn't get too dizzy.

Not too fond of my cat at the moment.He had been disappearing for a few weeks, out all day just coming back for tea. Didn't know what he was up to...thought he was probably visiting some of the old ladies on his rounds and stayin a while.( he gets treats from them) .Weekend just gone we discovered what he was up to...over the course of the two days he brought home 4 baby blackbirds.He had obviously been staking out the nest , waiting for them to fly or fall out.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 137 (view)

Corbyn - time to go ?
Posted: 6/4/2017 6:24:51 PM
I can't attest to the truth of everything written in this article cos I just don't know but anyway....

http://johnpilger.com/articles/terror-in-britain-what-did-the-prime-minister-know
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 32 (view)

A metric to gauge a man's s3xual prowess
Posted: 6/3/2017 12:20:19 PM
sometimes it just aint happening....for whatever reason orgasm isn't on the cards. There's nowt much worse on those occasions than some bloke who thinks he HAS to keep going till it does. No matter what you say they don't listen. The words 'it doesn't matter' seem like a red rag. Their pride and ego won't let them accept that.Meanwhile you're thinking for ****s sake I could really do with a bag of salt and vinegar crisps and a curly wurly right now.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 47 (view)

Music that stirs the soul
Posted: 5/19/2017 5:25:18 PM
Aggers...clicked the link and that Modjo song ... songs down the side Daft Punk..one more time Sophie Ellis Bextor-murder on the dance floor, Stardust....music sounds better with you , DJ Rui da Silva- Touch me and Air ....sexy boy.None what you'd call soul stirring but all remind me of a bloody good summer. Youtube obviously remembers how often I must listen to one, then the others!!
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 11 (view)

Travelling alone
Posted: 5/15/2017 3:00:54 AM
love going on hols on my own. First time I did it I was 16 and flew to Finland to stay with a penfriend. Didn't contact my mum and dad for a fortnight even to say I got there safely. Well I did try once and the call didn't seem to work so blithely carried on enjoying myself regardless.

Two summers ago my boy went off to Switzerland to scout camp for 10 days . I realized I hadn't had a single holiday without him since he was born( apart from a few weekends with his dad when he was little and before we split) so took myself off to Sweden. Flew to Gothenberg and drove up the west coast and into Norway , doing a mix of camping, hostelling, guest houses and airbnb. Twas great. Just being able to sit and have a coffee and look at the view without a restless boy dragging me to my feet the second I took my last gulp was brilliant. Since then I have made a point of getting away without him and it's usually on my own.

There aren't that many people , however much I like them that I would consider going on holiday with.Me and the boy go away with my sister and her husband for a few days sometimes and just me and my sis have gone away occasionally in the past.Other than that a couple of friends is all and then it's tying down a date. Much much easier to suit yourself.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 21 (view)

Your favourite sport? What and why?
Posted: 5/13/2017 2:56:32 PM
I was pretty good at most sports when I was young. But I detested most of them. That's not quite true ..I am so not a team player.Once you were 'forced' to play for the school all the fun went out of things.I just liked messing around. Mostly enjoyed gymnastics and trampolining..did those from about the age 0f 7 to 17ish and once I got to secondary school high jump and javelin and running, even cross country. Really enjoy a game of squash but haven't played it in years.

Loved skiing when I was a teen, early 20's but haven't done it since and probly never will again. As an adult the only things I have done for any time are ...climbed for about 15 years but gave that up years back due to too many injuries, kayaked regularly for 4 years whilst at Uni and then again with my son when he wanted to do it.Still really love sea kayaking though I only get to do it a couple of times a year at most. Have phases of getting on my bike but don't really think of that as a sport...it's mostly just meandering around the lanes and cycle paths.Running is the only thing I do with any regularity though that has been out of the window for a couple of years now. Most days lately I keep saying I will start tomorrow!

Watching...like loads really when the mood takes me. Have always been keen on rugby and my son plays now so that's something we can enjoy watching together ( I occasionally force myself to go and watch his team but mostly just wait for him to come home injured) .Still like watching cricket....been watching that since I was tiny. Sat with my dad last Sunday and watched a match between England and Ireland on the telly.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 10 (view)

Occupations
Posted: 5/8/2017 6:50:39 PM
I had a Saturday/holiday job in a fish and chip shop for years when I was a teenager. Every Saturday when we finished me and my friend would walk round town a bit spending some of our wages. Everywhere we went people would sniff and say can you smell chips?

Not sure any particular job would be a no no. What I really can't stand though is people who whinge and whine about their job endlessly, absolutely hate it but yet do nothing about it. For God's sake have the guts to get up and do something you at least vaguely enjoy. Either that or shut the feck up about it.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 3 (view)

Recieving gifts
Posted: 5/3/2017 1:18:11 AM
I think giving presents is often more about the giver than the receiver.

A long time ago my sister and I decided no presents for birthdays ,Christmas etc. Just prefer spending time with her. And that goes for everyone really. I'd just rather them , than anything else. Its so often difficult to get presents right even when you know someone well. Saying that, my son is learning to sew at the moment for his DOE and the first thing he made was a little pouch bag for his aunty and she absolutely loves it ...put to use straight away.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 34 (view)

Music that stirs the soul
Posted: 4/29/2017 9:00:12 AM
not a huge fan of these but this song is an absolute joy .It's no wonder Hibs fans have taken it as their own .It's one to sing loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmELS03_4So&list=RDZmELS03_4So#t=0
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 14 (view)

Your best cold remedy...
Posted: 4/20/2017 6:27:55 PM
I've never eaten a Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle. But I have consumed 2 cartons of sugar free sweets in as many minutes ( more than once I'm sorry to admit) and I'm guessing the effects are similar.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 23 (view)

I'd like to get to know you more...
Posted: 4/20/2017 4:18:11 PM
I work in libraries .Which is a lot more fun than it sounds. My days can include baby rhyme time for 50 sprogs plus parents, sessions as an IT tutor, visits to homeless hostels, school assemblies and class visits to the library, mad hatters tea parties, visits to ante natal and post natal groups, family learning sessions making books, puppets,musical instruments, allsorts, reading challenges, storytimes ( next one is a pyjama party where the kids leave a soft animal in the library for a sleepover ) , children's book group, coding club, helping train volunteers for the community libraries, staff training, attending local fairs and shows and a bunch of other stuff I probably forgot. Besides all that I really do love the traditional library stuff too...love books and love helping people choose and find books . And love working on the enquiry desk ...you never know what you're gonna get asked to find out. It's the job I've had the longest and it still surprises me that I'm still there!

I have also just begun as an adult and family learning tutor working for the county council.Initially I think probly taken on mostly because of my IT teaching but I wriggled out of that cos I only ever did that by accident not design and it's really not my favourite thing at all. So I'm teaching art ( plus whatever else I can come up with or get asked to do) . I'm winging it a bit but you gotta take the chances. I've already decided I'm going to be branching off and running my own stuff.

And after years and years of procrastination , brain freeze and a big block of some sort I've started over the past 6 months producing some sort of art every day , even if it's only a wee scribble and I'm planning to start selling.Ha ...if anyone will buy that is.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 11 (view)

Your best cold remedy...
Posted: 4/20/2017 3:18:53 PM
Don't often get colds...didn't get one over this winter and spring so far. One time I started a horrible cold and I ate 8 cloves of raw garlic.Killed the cold stone dead.Didn't do my belly much good though.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 34 (view)

Can you be arsed to arse around?
Posted: 4/20/2017 10:44:31 AM
defo in the can't be arsed camp. Probly in the more than can't be arsed camp , verging on neglect camp. I totally can't understand the 'cos I'm worth it' idea. I'll eat tasty food, buy myself books, music, plants and art materials, occasionally buy myself something nice to wear, spend money on going places and doing things cos why not? or if you like cos I'm worth it. But pampering and preening and sloshing around in oceans of potions is completely meaningless to me.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 36 (view)

How did you decide to become a parent?
Posted: 4/20/2017 10:34:56 AM
I didn't. Wanting children , that yearning others describe never happened to me. I only ever considered it in passing and then thought nah. I'd been with my son's dad 13 years, we were sort of trying and then I sorta changed my mind but by then I'd sorta got pregnant . So we sorta got on with it. Can't lie ...didn't find baby and early childhood plain sailing for many reasons.He's 15 now and great company ( most of the time !) Would I do it again in my next life? Yes....he's brought so much good and richness to my life and the whole thing of being a little persons parent changed me for the better.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 20 (view)

Education? Is it worth it?
Posted: 4/11/2017 2:56:24 PM
I have a degree, masters and PGCE .My qualifications were needed for roughly 10 years. The last 17 years they have been surplus to requirements because I haven't done jobs that asked for a degree. Were the qualifications a waste of time? No, I got a good ten years out of them before I decided I didn't want a career in anything or much responsibility at all really. I've been lucky....still managed to have interesting jobs.And now I have by sheer chance, good fortune and winging it a bit managed the start of hopefully something that WILL be a new 'career'/way of life and something I should have done a long long time ago. I do value the education in that it forced me to think critically.....and also I got some brilliant field trips out of it.

My son is 15 in a few days time, in Year 10 and has mocks when he goes back after Easter. He's a clever thing and his 'aspirational' grades are all A /A* ( actually under this govt it has become some numerical system of grading now which I have yet to get the hang of) Whether he will get those grades is anybody's guess.In class he works, out of class i.e homework, revision/study time he does sweet FA. He's had plenty of detentions and had to attend homework club and study hour.He's got to the stage where he has to revise for exams and not just wing the bloody things. I just have to trust he will pull it out of the bag when he needs to.

For a good few years he had his heart set on becoming a vet. I would have backed him had he wanted to do that but gave a huge sigh of relief when he changed his mind. There is so much competition for so few places and the grades they ask for are so high. And the course is so long. I really doubted he would have the stamina for that. For the past year he's now been decided on marine biology ,oceanography or zoology and I will encourage him all the way in any of those. There's not much better than having the opportunity to study a subject you love. I won't particularly encourage him to go to any University to do any degree for the sake of it. I think there's little point if you're not doing something you love
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 25 (view)

F uck it, let's just talk about motorbikes
Posted: 4/11/2017 10:49:07 AM
sitting in my garden with a coffee first thing, sun shining...or not! with the cats.Late afternoon after school and work too. Picking strawberries in the sun, belly laughs with my sister, floating on my back in a warm sea, sitting outside your tent as the sun goes down, doodling in my sketchbook, listening to something and realising you know every single word and had no idea ( most recently ABC ..the look of love) , matched betting....seeing my accounts inch up just a wee bit more every day, just a small thrill!
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 42 (view)

Do yuo feel caged in a relationship?
Posted: 4/11/2017 7:18:28 AM
Not in the right one.

I've had only one long term relationship, my boy's dad and that was alright until it wasn't. There were ways we weren't right for each other and frustrations but in hindsight I could have done something about those and that I didn't probably meant that it suited me not to in other ways. I guess I had someone to 'blame' for the things I didn't do but meanwhile I felt safe and secure.He himself never stopped me from doing anything I wanted to. I could kick myself now of course , that I wasted opportunities but I no longer blame him.

I think this is teh crux of many peoples frustrations and caged feelings. They don't have the confidence to go and get exactly what they want in life. Meawhile they use someone else as the crutch, reason or excuse for not doing that. Suits them really. Until they wake up.

I don't agree that it's strong people who get caught in relationships with narcissists or controllers. Its possible for anyone in moments of weakness or when they are vulnerable.I got caught in one a few years back.Lasted just over a year and when I ended it I just felt what the **** were you doing ?What on earth possessed you to get involved there? I never wanted to from teh start and then I just somehow did.The manipulation was there. Learnt a swift and harsh lesson Other than that if you're in a string of relationships with these types of people you really need to examine yourself and that target on your forehead that says victim and work out what YOU are getting out of the status quo.

Show ALL Forums