Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Mandatory Voting
 nipoleon
Msg: 15 (view)

Mandatory Voting
Posted: 3/25/2015 12:21:06 PM
Why are Americans so lazy about such a fundamental civic right and responsibility?
We care more about sports than who's running the country.

Here's how you do it....... The football season is suspended until every eligible citizen has cast his vote.
No vote... no football !
That'll get them to the polls !
 nipoleon
Msg: 25 (view)

Why can't we get our politician's to act in OUR best interest?
Posted: 7/17/2014 9:18:46 PM
There are a few politicians who really are in it for the betterment of the public.
Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are the 2 who come quickly to mind.

Unfortunately, the vast majority are only there to serve the interests of their masters who paid their way.
And.... that's not you.
 nipoleon
Msg: 12 (view)

A Rich Guy Warns His Fellows
Posted: 6/29/2014 12:30:28 AM
The motto of the U.S.A. is " E Pluribus Unum " ( out of many, one ) , not Caveat Emptor ( let the buyer beware ).
There are still some people who still remember this.
 nipoleon
Msg: 1 (view)

A Rich Guy Warns His Fellows
Posted: 6/27/2014 6:04:41 PM
Multi-millionaire Nick Hanauer is no dummy. He sees the writing on the wall.

I'd strongly suggest you read this entire piece titled "The pitchforks are coming . . . for us Plutocrats"

And what do I see in our future now?
I see pitchforks.

At the same time that people like you and me are thriving beyond the dreams of any plutocrats in history, the rest of the country—the 99.99 percent—is lagging far behind. The divide between the haves and have-nots is getting worse really, really fast. In 1980, the top 1 percent controlled about 8 percent of U.S. national income. The bottom 50 percent shared about 18 percent. Today the top 1 percent share about 20 percent; the bottom 50 percent, just 12 percent.

But the problem isn’t that we have inequality. Some inequality is intrinsic to any high-functioning capitalist economy. The problem is that inequality is at historically high levels and getting worse every day. Our country is rapidly becoming less a capitalist society and more a feudal society. Unless our policies change dramatically, the middle class will disappear, and we will be back to late 18th-century France. Before the revolution.

And so I have a message for my fellow filthy rich, for all of us who live in our gated bubble worlds: Wake up, people. It won’t last.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/...

I remember hearing a phrase during Occupy, "If you won't let us dream we won't let you sleep". What happens when real opportunity for everyone below $100k evaporates entirely? What happens when people can't find decent paying jobs that they can afford to live on? What happens when people have had enough?
I don't want things to get that bad. I have often tried my best to get out in front of the problem before it gets worse. I don't have the resources or clout to be heard, my lack of money as speech prevents that, but Nick Hanauer does, and he is spelling it out for his uber-rich compatriots, cut the shit out before you unleash all hell on yourselves.
No society can sustain this kind of rising inequality. In fact, there is no example in human history where wealth accumulated like this and the pitchforks didn’t eventually come out. You show me a highly unequal society, and I will show you a police state. Or an uprising. There are no counterexamples. None. It’s not if, it’s when.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/...
 nipoleon
Msg: 30 (view)

Is there any excuse in this electronic age for losing track of a loaded passenger plane?
Posted: 3/31/2014 10:37:37 PM
What do you think OnStar is ?
Or GPS devices that give drivers directions ?

You ever seen that little device " Progressive Insurance " tries to get it's customers to sign up for ?
That's a plug in GPS tracker which constantly monitors every move you make in you car and the data is continuously fed back to the company by WiFi. Go over 80 mph. or drive more than 40 miles away from home and your insurance rates could go up.

Rental car companies have been using GPS trackers for years now, to monitor how customers drive their cars and where they take them. Cross the border into the wrong state too far away and they'll automatically know about it and charge you extra.

Why would the cost be prohibitive for the airlines to put the same technology in it's planes that has been standard issue in cars for a decade now ?
It would be easy to install a data streaming device which would track every second of a flight everywhere a plane went in the whole world.
And, make it so that no one on the plane could get to it to turn it off.
 nipoleon
Msg: 9 (view)

Fake online customer reviews
Posted: 3/31/2014 10:16:54 PM
If the review is too good, it's probably a fake.
If the review is too bad, it's probably someone with an axe to grind.

If you go to the hotel web sites and read the reviews. You'll notice every hotel in existence has good and bad reviews right under each other. First it's the greatest place to stay, then under it someone calls it the worst.

Look for reviews that seem to be from someone who actually used the product.
Fakers probably never got anywhere near using it.
 nipoleon
Msg: 4 (view)

Is there any excuse in this electronic age for losing track of a loaded passenger plane?
Posted: 3/24/2014 10:26:11 PM
The " black box " is actually an out dated technology.
Today, streaming data can be constantly transmitted to satellites the whole time.
Modern GPS systems are far more accurate than radar and can pinpoint anything within a few feet.
If these 20 year old technologies had been in place on MH370 we'd have the plane right now.

The airlines should have converted to these technologies years ago but of course they probably didn't want to spend the money.
 nipoleon
Msg: 22 (view)

They're laughing at you-- a peek inside Wall Street
Posted: 2/19/2014 11:51:00 AM
It's the easiest thing in the world to tell people how superior they are.
People love it.
There's great wealth and power to be gained from telling people they are the best, race, religion, nation, football team, or what ever you can think of. Great empires and civilizations have been built upon this.

The vast majority of human suffering in the world has come from one group of people, convinced of it's own superiority.
Naturally it comes to reason, that group convinced of it's own superiority must enslave or exterminate all the inferior people.

Ayn Rand made a living writing books telling rich people they were better than poor people.
Libertarians and so called " Free Market Theorists " suckle at the breast of self righteous superiority.
But, do any of them ever try to prove it ?

Just once, I'd like to see a billionaire, who's so superior to everyone else. Some rich guy who's convinced he earned his riches purely from his own natural genius and hard work, prove it to the rest of us.

Give away every penny of your money... go down to Peru and become a scratch dirt farmer... and through your own genius and hard work become the richest dirt farmer there is. You did it before, surely you can do it again ?
Just once I'd like to see that.
 nipoleon
Msg: 18 (view)

They're laughing at you-- a peek inside Wall Street
Posted: 2/19/2014 12:43:11 AM
If only people could understand the complete and utter contempt these guys have for the common American citizen.

They truly believe themselves to be superior humans.
They all pay a lower percentage in taxes than the janitors who clean their toilets, and they think that's funny.
They have completely bought and control all the government in the country, local, state, and federal. Every politician is beholden to them at every level.
They believe themselves to be giants, striding the world, masters of all the survey. Granted by GOD to rule the world.
In their eyes.... WE ARE THEIR SLAVES AND ONLY FIT AS HUMAN LIVESTOCK.
But they aren't as smart as they think they are.

They didn't run the economy off a cliff in 2008, that was only a little hill. The big cliff is coming.
These giants of finance have forgotten that they stand on our shoulders.

This is where you must turn your attention to know whats coming.
What happens when a person dies and leaves $50-$100,000 in unpaid credit card debt ?
Where does Visa, MC, AMEX go to get their payment ?
Are the going after the survivors ? What if there are none ? What if they have no money either ?
What happens when a person has $100,000 in debt and only makes $20,000 a year ?

They have successfully turned America into a nation of debt slaves. That's why they think of us as their slaves.

Believe me, the credit card companies are damned worried about this and it's only going to get to be a bigger problem in the years to come.
They aren't talking about it much now..... but they will.
 nipoleon
Msg: 7 (view)

Is pro wrestling a sinking ship?
Posted: 2/9/2014 12:23:57 AM
Too much talk, not enough action.
 nipoleon
Msg: 32 (view)

West Virginia water crisis
Posted: 1/21/2014 12:41:51 AM
Welcome to the glorious Free Market.
This is what you get when government feels absolutely no responibility to the people and wholy beholden to protecting the profits of the rich.
I wonder how many of those West Virginians bought that crap about lower taxes and creating jobs ?
 nipoleon
Msg: 10 (view)

where were you in 63
Posted: 11/24/2013 12:03:26 AM
The TV coverage of the aftermath was like nothing seen since. Not even 9/11.
After the assasination, for the next 3 days, 24 hours a day, there was non-stop coverage of nothing else on any TV station. There was only ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS at the time and that was all they showed.
They showed every step of the military procession taking the casket everywhere it went. When the casket lie in state in the capitol rotunda they showed all the people lined up and passing by to view it the whole 24 hours.
When Lee Harvey Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby while being transferred, that wound up on live TV and I got to see it happen.
The TV saturation coverage didn't stop until Kennedy's body was laid in his grave.
 nipoleon

alcohol and behavior
Posted: 11/21/2013 2:55:42 AM
That state which is called " drunkeness " is actually a form of self hypnosis.
Yes, alcohol does indeed have definite physical effects. But, those effects are not the cause of the behavior of drunkeness. People act the way they think a drunk person is supposed to act when drunk. This is why some people get drunk on very little achohol and some people need a lot.

The behavior of drunkeness varies from one person to another depending upon what each individual thinks they should be when drunk.
 nipoleon
Msg: 19 (view)

Is it okay for a woman to lie about her age
Posted: 11/7/2013 12:15:31 AM
Everybody here is older, fatter, balder, and poorer than what their profile would suggest.
And, I have learned to never trust the pictures on a woman's profile at all.
 nipoleon
Msg: 2 (view)

Cleaning lady using vacuum in weird places?
Posted: 11/5/2013 2:53:02 AM
You have a cleaning lady ?
The last cleaning lady I had was my mother.
Since I move away from my parents, I have adopted Quinten Crisp's moto for house work, " After 5 years it doesn't get any worse ".
That's a plus isn't girls ? I don't live with my parents.
 nipoleon

Norton
Posted: 10/31/2013 11:56:11 AM

Viruses can't get into your computer unless they know the Administrator Password.

Actually, they can get into your computer no matter who's logged in.
It's a pretty lazy hacker who's going to be stopped by that trick.
If you're on the internet at all you can pick up malware no matter what you do. As I said before, no anti-malware/virus protection is %100 effective.

The only way to insure you never get anything is to never go online. But, who want's to do that ?
Very few people stay a virgin forever. You can't stay offline forever, certainly be careful of riskier sites but no site is absolutely safe. Not even POF.

Never give up your passwords or any personal information. But, they don't need your password.

You can avoid viruses if you are a little careful with your spams or emails,
or the websites you visit.

That's right.
Unfortunately, one day you will get an e-mail from your own sister, or mother, who you trust and looks absolutely legit, and it will actually be a hacker.
I've seen this.

Viruses aren't the threat they used to be. The real problems today are people who want to use your computer for their own purposes or to extort and coerce money out of you.

One day your computer suddenly wakes up and a voice comes on " THIS COMPUTER HAS BEEN LOCKED ! "
The FBI logo comes on the screen and your told that the government has locked your computer for visiting an illegal website and the only way to unlock it is to pay a fine of $300 or more. Your computer wont boot up normally and you can't get rid of it.
This is called " ransom ware " and it's a fake. It's about a year old and most good anti-malware will catch it now.
Reboot your computer in " safe " mode and restore it to an earlier time.

Hijackware, is a spammer who uses your computer and internet connection to send thousands of spams over the internet. They're whole object is to remain invisible to you.
You may be running this kind of malware right now and not even know it, depending on how clever the spammers programmers are.

Go to C Net or PC World and read the articles and reviews of software.
Get 2 or 3 good free scanners and use them regularly and often.
You don't have to pay for anything.
 nipoleon
Msg: 14 (view)

Norton
Posted: 10/25/2013 2:24:12 AM
C Net has become a really good source for every type of software anyone would want.
They also have very helpful reviews and will tell you the good and the useless.

But once again, be careful when you download stuff.
Go slowly and read everything before clicking. The companies which provide these things love to divert people into other things they don't really want. Some companies will actually hijack you into dowloading something completely different from what you wanted, or even a completely different program.
When you see something that says, " By clicking next you agree to download ( such and such stupid thingy )...... "
Don't do it.

Do you want our new tool bar ?...... no you don't
Do you want our new web browser ?..... no you don't
Do you want our new app ?..... no you don't.

SlimCleaner has a lot of functions which can be very powerful and do things you probably don't understand and probably don't want to do. As a malware scanner, I like it.
If you don't understand it, just leave it alone.
 nipoleon
Msg: 11 (view)

Norton
Posted: 10/23/2013 10:39:56 AM
First off, go to C Net or PC World websites and read their reviews of software before you decide.
Just because something advertises itself as " Top Rated ", doesn't mean it's really any good.

Most free security programs don't offer " real time " scanning.
That is, it scans while you are surfing. AVG, Commodo, and Avast are the most popular of these.
I've found AVG to be good but it's too invasive of your computer. Commodo is good but is pretty complex for a novice user and a lot of it's functions are useless or unneeded.
Avast is almost as good as AVG but it isn't nearly as invasive , you'll hardly notice it's there. However you should run it in " silent mode " or it will drive you crazy telling you about every little thing it blocks.
Don't get the idea you have to activate everything these programs offer. Just turn on those things that you know what they do.

I like C Cleaner and SlimCleaner. They are fast and don't affect anything else on you computer that I have found.
C Cleaner only offers real time scanning if you pay for it. SlimCleaner has no real time function but finds a lot of stuff other scanners won't.
I hate programs which always prompt you to pay to do the complete job and these two don't.

No malware scanner is perfect. Even the best wont find %100 of everything.
However, some scanners will find things others don't. That's why I recommend getting 2 or 3 and use them on a rotating basis often.
It's amazing how much stuff gets loaded on your computer after only a brief time on the internet.

Also , be careful when you download any software from the internet. Make sure you are clicking on the right boxes or agreeing to exactly what you want. The next thing you know, you'll be downloading another damn fool tool bar or changing you home page, or getting a bunch of stuff you don't even know what it is and didn't want.
And, don't pay for anything unless your sure you can't live without it.
 nipoleon

Norton
Posted: 10/23/2013 2:28:27 AM
Forget Norton and McAfee, they are both a waste of time.
They aren't very good and they slow your computer down.
Never use 2 real time scanners simultaniously, they will interfere with each other and your computer will slow to a crawl.

Linux is an operating system, like Windows XP is an operating system. It isn't an anti-virus program.
But downloading and learning to use Linux is a good idea for everyone.

Go with Avast free. Unless your the type who likes to go on very risky web sites.
However no matter what you do, sooner or later maleware will get through even the most secure system.

Download the free versions of 3 or 4 virus scanning programs and use them regularly. What one program doesn't catch another will. Speed of scanning, ability to find maleware, and not interfering with your computer are the most valuable factors.

There are lots of anti-maleware programs but C Cleaner, Malwarebytes, and SlimCleaner, I consider to be the best.
Don't pay for anything unless it has proven itself to you and you'd really like the extra features it offers.
 nipoleon

little help
Posted: 10/16/2013 12:21:42 AM
It's not unusual for parents to become obsessed over their newborn's bodily functions.Doctors are constantly reassuring anxious parents because their babies go too little or too much.

The fact is, there is no rule about how often anyone should have a bowel movement. Some people go more than once a day, some people go every several days with no ill effects.

You certainly should not start loading up your baby with laxatives or enemas unless a doctor tells you to.
Laxatives tend to have a rebound effect of what's desired. They loosen you up immediatley but then your body compensates the other way and you become more constipated than what you were.

There's a story about an American GI in the pacific during WWII. He was squatting next to a palm tree to take a dump and a Japanese sniper was shot out of the very tree he was using. The dead body landed on top of him right in the middle of his business and he was so shocked that he never had another BM the rest of the war.
 nipoleon
Msg: 76 (view)

what is best anti-virus program. Kaspersky? Norton?? McAfee???
Posted: 10/13/2013 10:35:10 AM
Personally, I use Avast free for the real time protection.
Be sure to put Avast on " silent mode " or it will drive you crazy telling you every time it blocks something.

I also use Slim Cleaner because it's fast, free and doesn't interfere with anything that I can tell. It also has a lot of other useful functions. I have it set so that it will run an automatic scan whenever I boot up the computer which only takes a couple of minutes. It's open source and they never ask you to pay for anything.

I like C Cleaner which is just as good as Malware bytes and doesn't prompt you to pay. I hate programs which are always asking you to pay to do the complete job.

I also like Advanced System Care which will actually repair things on your computer. The free version is good but I opted to pay for it and it's not expensive, about $25 per year. However, don't be tempted to download all the stuff they offer, most of it is useless.

Remember, there's a difference between cleaning registry errors and fixing registry errors. Almost nobody fixes errors.

I tried AVG and found it very invasive and tended to take over the computer. You actually have to download an AVG remover tool to fully get rid of it once you put it on your computer. Heaven help you if you don't want their damned tool bar.
Comodo is the same way, but I do like Comodo Dragon web browser. I like Comodo Dragon better than IE or FireFox. It's fast and simple without all those add on's.

Don't take my word for it.
Go to C Net, or PC World web sites and read reviews about programs before deciding.
Microsoft essentials never rates very well . I tried it for a while but found it's slow and there's malware that will blow right past it.
The same is true for McAfee.

It's a good idea to have 3 or 4 scanning programs and use them regularly on a rotating basis. What one program won't catch, another will.
But never use more than one real time scanner at the same time. They tend to interfere with each other and your computer will start to crawl to a stop.
 nipoleon

Breaking Bad
Posted: 9/30/2013 12:22:48 AM
I tried watching an episode last year but it couldn't keep my finger off the channel changer button. The pacing is ponderous, rather like an expensive soap opera.
I hate having to sit through a whole hour episode before anything meaningful happens.

I found Mad Men, the Sopranos, and the Lord of the Rings movies the same way.

God ! Will these people please shut up and do something here !
Isn't Tosh.O on yet ?
 nipoleon
Msg: 8 (view)

Terrorism is not an enemy, its a tactic
Posted: 9/8/2013 10:37:36 AM
The question isn't, " Is America a great country " ? Of course, America is a great country.
The pertinent question is " Is America as great as it could be " ?
Is America as great as it should be ?
Is America as great as we brag that it is ?

When I look the American people, I see fellow citizens.
Some people look at the American people and see, winners and losers.

America will never be as great as it should be as long as some Americans make money from the suffering of
their fellow citizens.
Any American who profits from polluting the air, the water, or the land is a traitor.
Any American who profits from the ignorance and gullibility of his fellow citizens is a traitor.
Any American who profits from other Americans sacrificing their bodies or their life for their country, is a traitor.
Any American who misleads other Americans through propaganda to suffer needlessly is a traitor.

It's not a matter of equal opportunity. It's also a matter of not standing in the way of others from fulfilling their opportunity.

An American who preys upon his fellow citizens for his own profit and aggrandizement is the lowest of humans.
An American who excuses these things as some " natural law of survival of the fittest " , I hope they get exactly the country the think they want.
 nipoleon
Msg: 4 (view)

Anyone else prefer college football over pro?
Posted: 9/4/2013 12:52:30 AM
I would rather watch any college football game than the best pro game ever played.

College football has a greater diversity in the quality of teams and greater diversity in styles of play. It's always interesting to see how an inferior team will try to play against a superior one. College teams have unique personalities.

Sure, the talent level in the pros is greater but they are all pretty much the same in playing style. There are only a handful of players in pro football who really stand out and are worth watching. If two pro teams exchanged uniforms at half time, how long would it take most people to notice ?

College football is much more colorful and the traditions of the teams more interesting.
College teams are not going to move to another city that builds them a stadium. Some colleges have been playing each other every year for over 100 years ! For some tradionaly mediorcre teams, upsetting a favored rival is what makes their whole season worthwhile.

In order for a college team to win the national championship is almost certainly has to go undefeated. It's very rare for a college team to become the champion with even one loss. This makes the whole season like sudden death.

It's not unusual for a pro team to win the championship with several losses during the season. It's only necessary to get into the playoffs so the teams don't play with the same intensity every week.

These are only a few reasons college football is better than pro football.
 nipoleon

My dog keeps attacking my cat!
Posted: 9/3/2013 12:08:09 AM
It's also possible the dog is jealous of the cat and regards it as competition for your affection.
 nipoleon

If Tom Cruise put together an Expendablestype movie
Posted: 8/29/2013 12:02:56 AM
Forget those wussies.

Use, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, and Humphry Bogart.
 nipoleon
Msg: 25 (view)

Should the government supply disposable diapers to the poor who qualify for public assistance?
Posted: 7/31/2013 1:11:37 AM

Too many people don't trust that such programs will be administered intelligently and logically, and so they demand that restrictions and directives be added, with the idea of preventing the few people who really don't need help, from getting any at all

This is an important point.

We get so worked up over a freeloader getting a free lunch, we'd allow 1000 people to starve.
 nipoleon
Msg: 636 (view)

Tebow Time
Posted: 6/20/2013 12:41:46 AM
I don't know what the Pats are going to do with him.
Maybe he could be the 1st string place holder ?

The Pats have no use for a glorified option quarterback with shaky passing skills.
He would be much better as a backup in San Francisco or Carolina.
 nipoleon
Msg: 13 (view)

Uhm.... yea.
Posted: 6/17/2013 12:41:42 AM
Certainly, one of your neighbors must have seen who it is by now.
You need to ask around.
 nipoleon
Msg: 3 (view)

True innocent or guilty
Posted: 6/2/2013 12:55:22 AM
The primary reason for government is to provide justice to the citizens.
Whenever someone commits a crime against us, we appeal to the government for justice.

If one person kills another innocent person, capital punishment is one of the ways the government executes justice.
If the government kills an innocent person, why isn't that murder ?
If an agent of the government, uses the resources of the government to kill an innocent person, why isn't that murder ?

If the government kills an innocent person, where does the victim find justice ?

I don't have anything against capital punishment in itself.
But, I think we should have a guarantee.
If the state executes an innocent person, the lead prosecutor should be tried for murder.
Afterall, they actively and in premeditation pursued the killing of an innocent person.
There's no excuse for an innocent person being executed.
 nipoleon
Msg: 85 (view)

what is Warp Drive, and how should space travel work????
Posted: 5/26/2013 7:05:26 PM
Actually, a warp type space travel is possible but not in the way it's described in Star Trek.

First, you have to be able to manipulate gravity. Or rather, bend space the way massive objects do to create a gravitational effect.
If you can bend space, you can create a " gravity well " directly in front of your space ship.
Then you simply extend that gravity well as far as you want in the direction you want.

Essentially, you are stretching a small amount of space in front of you into a far distance away.
You could stretch the first 6 inches of space to 60,000 miles, then you could go the whole 60,000 miles while only traveling 6 inches. The trip would also be in real time, since it would take no more time than traveling 6 inches.
Once you reach you destination, you simply turn off your space stretcher and there you are.
 nipoleon
Msg: 113 (view)

Letter from Markus
Posted: 5/24/2013 9:55:18 PM

I agree, the 14 yr. restriction is unnecessary.
I'm 58 yr old, this means I can't message anyone younger than 44 ?!
A 43 yr old woman is too young for me ? I have no business messing with a 43 yr old woman ?

No, nipoleon, I think it's to protect the 73 year old women from you. ;-)

Sure, 30 yr olds shouldnt be messaging teenagers.
But, I suppose, a woman old enough to have grown children is too young for me ?
Their young, impressionable minds might be too easily seduced by my wicked ways.
 nipoleon

Nietzche's Theory of Eternal Recurrence
Posted: 5/23/2013 10:52:42 AM
History doesn't repeat itself.
It's just that people keep making the same mistakes.
Unfortunately, it takes a long time for people to learn from those mistakes. I probably wont be around long enough for the U.S. to learn from the mistakes of the last 40 years.

I don't believe in Eternal Recurrence. However I do believe in " Universal Synchronization ".
Have you ever noticed things never happen by themselves, but rather they happen in bunches ?
Things seem to be synchronized.

You can sit and do nothing for an hour and nothing will happen.
But, the minute a TV show comes on that you really want to see... the phone will ring, or someone will come to the door, or something will happen to take you away from what you wanted.

For some reason, events never happen in isolation. Multiple events happen all at the same time.
If only we could harness this and learn how to use it for good !
 nipoleon
Msg: 94 (view)

Letter from Markus
Posted: 5/23/2013 12:31:59 AM
I agree, the 14 yr. restriction is unnecessary.
I'm 58 yr old, this means I can't message anyone younger than 44 ?!
A 43 yr old woman is too young for me ? I have no business messing with a 43 yr old woman ?

On another note, there is an interesting write up today on Salon.com by Stacey Clark-Florey about exactly this issue and POF concerning the intimate encounters section.
It seems there's a lot of men around here pretending to be women.
 nipoleon
Msg: 14 (view)

Free Movies, TV and Sports
Posted: 5/19/2013 1:04:26 AM
There's very little as far as sports or TV that can't be gotten for free on the internet
I watched a bootleg copy of the new Star Trek movie last night on a web site last night.

But, enjoy it while you can, the corporations are trying their best to divide up the internet among themselves and the good ol days of everything for free will be over.
 nipoleon

Experimentation on men who are on death row then experiments on animals
Posted: 5/14/2013 2:55:23 AM
There are rumors that this sort of thing already happens in China.
The Nazis did this to Jews in the concentration camps. They did extreme cold experiments on living people by taking them up above the Arctic circle and dumping them naked onto the ice.
Remember what Joseph Mengele was all about ?

Exactly what kind of society are we running here ?

Should the testing subjects be given the opportunity to volunteer or reject being in the experiments ?
Should the test subjects get some sort of compensation ?
 nipoleon

Modal Ontological Argument for God
Posted: 5/12/2013 7:14:19 PM
Look.... if you want to believe God exists, go ahead. Nobody's going to stop you.
Absolutely nobody in the world has any interest in convincing you of something you want to believe if that's what you want.

Just remember, it's only a belief and believing isn't proving.
The existence of God can't be proven, it can only be believed.

Any God who could be proven, is an obvious fraud.
 nipoleon
Msg: 15 (view)

If you could change history...
Posted: 5/12/2013 6:39:13 PM

Stopping Constantine [prevent Christianity from becoming the dominant religion in the west]

By the time of Constantine it was too late, Christianity was already the most popular religion in the west.
The real culprit is the Apostle Paul. He's the one primarily responsible for perverting the teachings of Jesus and spreading it through the Roman world.

You could get rid of St. Augustine while you're at it.
His self loathing guilt complex instilled the idea of any diversion from constant mental focus upon God was sinful.
He's been ruining lives for almost 2000 years.
 nipoleon

It is not the actions we take, but our reasons behind them!
Posted: 4/21/2013 1:39:28 AM

What I am trying to say really is that it is not our actions that define us, but our reasons behind them!

Obviously, you have never worked in the service industry.
There are lots of times, in our modern society in which our motivations are not the reason for our actions.

Does that waitress at Hooters really like you, or is she just acting that way because her job demands it ?

You have to remember that motivations are limited by knowledge.
People do what they know how to do.
If you want to feed your children and stealing is the only way you can figure to do it, you will steal. Naturally, if you could think of a better way, you would do that instead.

Education is the key to all true morality.
 nipoleon
Msg: 5 (view)

The Light Speed Centrifuge thought Experiment
Posted: 4/17/2013 11:01:15 AM
Any object with mass distorts the very space it occupies, 4th dimensionally. It creates an indentation in the fabric of space, surrounding the object on all sides. Other objects fall towards it according to that indentation in space.
They aren't really attracted, they are simply following the shape of the space they occupy.

But, what is it about a centrifuge ?
It doesn't gain any more mass than what it had before it started spinning.
Is the spinning somehow distorting space ?

Is there some spacial/ dimensional thing about this we are missing out on ?
 nipoleon
Msg: 1 (view)

The Light Speed Centrifuge thought Experiment
Posted: 4/16/2013 7:56:10 AM
Imagine we have a centrifuge just like the type NASA or the Air Force uses to train astronauts and pilots for the effects of G-forces. Only this is a special centrifuge, made of special materials which can make the centrifuge spin up to the speed of light.

Inside the test capsule we have an astronaut who is wearing a special space suit which allows him to withstand any amount of g-forces no matter how strong.

There is also a camera which is focused on the astronaut and allows the outside controllers to observe what happens.

When the centrifuge approaches the speed of light, the astronaut takes out a laser pen and shines the beam across the inside of the capsule.
Is there a point where the g-forces are so strong, the light beam starts to bend in the direction of the centrifugal force ?

When the centrifuge spins at the speed of light, are the g-forces infinite ?
If so, will the astronaut disappear into a artificial black hole ?
If so, when we slow the centrifuge back down, will the astronaut re-appear out of the black hole ?
 nipoleon
Msg: 5 (view)

why was the new pope chosen?
Posted: 3/17/2013 2:02:43 AM
The true relevancy of the Catholic Church isn't in it's religion ( few people really believe that stuff ).
The matter is that the Catholic Church is so rich.
It's operating revenues are far and away larger than any other religious institution in the world. As a financial entity, it is the equal of any major corporation in the world.
And, almost all of it's financial details are unknown to anyone outside the institution. Actually, anyone outside the Vatican itself.
Being a church, it has no requirement to submit any financial records to the government.
No one really knows how rich the Catholic Church is, but it's really rich and it has it's fingers in things all over the world.
 nipoleon
Msg: 2 (view)

With all the whining about men hold most CEO positions
Posted: 3/13/2013 1:51:29 AM

The life threatening hardships men go through for all of us to survive.

Exactly what are those life threatening hardships CEO's go through ?

Judging by the amount of whining they do about it, you'd think billionaires were the most victimized people in the country.
 nipoleon

How to stay off Facebook...
Posted: 3/13/2013 1:44:36 AM
Facebook is the " black hole " of the internet which sucks everything into it and nothing ever comes out.

I can't believe how much time girls must spend finding cute puppy and kitten pictures to post.
There are some people who can't get through the day without telling everyone how much they love God or Jesus or
their brothers and sisters or their parents or grandparents or whoever else they can think of.

No matter how important you think your political posts are, it's like bouncing a nerf ball off a brick wall.

I never put anything personal or communicate anything personal to anyone on Facebook.
I don't trust the privacy.

I amuse myself collecting all the outrageous pictures and cartoons I find and post them all on Saturday morning.
 nipoleon

would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?
Posted: 3/5/2013 12:44:40 AM
Atheists are not morally superior to the religious.
Atheists can be just as insufferable as any bible thumping preacher.
 nipoleon

Possibly some answers to life's questions?
Posted: 3/4/2013 12:14:31 AM

Nipoleon, I did not know there were any Aristotelian Scholastics left after 1700.

Undoubtedly, the best thing anyone's ever said about me here.
 nipoleon
Msg: 16 (view)

Why are men given such a bad rap?
Posted: 3/3/2013 2:57:24 AM
I agree....it is a lazy inconsiderate man who does nothing but live off a woman, ...the woman allows it, the man does it. both guilty. why a woman allows it. low self esteem, loneliness...who knows. do I think it is right or healthy? no way.

Now let's change this sentence by one word and see how it sounds.

I agree....it is a lazy inconsiderate woman who does nothing but live off a man...the man allows it, the woman does it. both guilty. why a man allows it. low self esteem, loneliness...who knows. do I think it is right or healthy? no way.

I'm not taking any sides in this, I'm just showing the differnce in the two sides.
 nipoleon

Possibly some answers to life's questions?
Posted: 3/3/2013 1:23:22 AM
Everything which exists in the universe exists as a part of the greater whole. Everything which exists, does so because if fulfills the particular purpose of it's existence. Nothing exists which does not fulfill the reason for it's being.
The universe is like a large machine and all the parts must work perfectly according to their purpose or the machine will break down. Any part which doesn't work as part of the greater whole of the universe will be eliminated and replaced.

We humans work this way too. We just don't realize we are doing it.
This is why there are so many seeming contradictions to our behavior. We insist upon looking at things from our own perspective rather than from the perspective of the universe. The universe demands certain things from us and we fulfill those demands.
It's not a matter of whether we like them or not, or understand them.

The first step to enlightenment is to ask " What is our true place here and how do we fit into the greater scheme of things " ?
Don't ask if something is right or wrong. Ask instead , " What was it about it that, that it needs to be " ?
 nipoleon
Msg: 13 (view)

Is sex for it's own sake wrong?
Posted: 2/28/2013 1:02:03 AM
I have always wondered about guys who seem to have a lot of sex.
They make it seem they're having sex all over the place and never have any trouble finding women to have sex with.

There are some people who hate sex.
They hate all sex, any sex, and they especially hate other people having sex.
And, they don't want anybody thinking about sex either.

Usually, they preach that they know the true purpose of sex. They use sex to manipulate people for political power.
It's too bad that making people feel guilty about war and poverty isn't as useful as making people feel guilty about sex.
 nipoleon
Msg: 16 (view)

Why do we need religon
Posted: 2/19/2013 10:47:01 AM
It's not a matter of religion.
It's a matter of ORGANIZED religion.

Everyone needs religion, because everyone should ponder those things which are greater than themselves.
You can believe in God, or not if you choose.
Even the atheist can marvel at the greatest miracle of all, which is the simple existence of the universe itself.... however it came about.

Every human owes it to himself to decide for himself what he personally will or will not believe. It's the imposition of a belief system through coercion or force which is the problem.

Stop believing... stop believing everything anyone has tried to get you to believe.
Decide for yourself what you believe, what makes sense to you personally.
It's your obligation to yourself.

Show ALL Forums