Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Worst place you ever been?
 travel4456
Msg: 281 (view)

Worst place you ever been?
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:45:18 PM
Egypt. Absolutely horrible vacation. If you ever go 1 day to see the pyramids & museum. If you have to go to Luxor only make that a day as well. You will get insanely harassed for Bagshish(Tip). If you take a bus it is entirely possible the driver will stop mid-trip and refuse to continue until everyone tips him. It happened to me on the trip from Hurghada to Cairo. If you find yourself over night in Luxor, check out the English Pub there. It was the only good time I had in Egypt besides the awe in seeing the Giza Pyramids. If you get offered a package to go and see the Memphis pyramids, eh, nothing special. And Elvis never lived in them ;-)

Also if you are here, don't bother with hostels or doing it cheap. If you cant afford the Nile Hilton & a tour to Giza definitely don't come. It is not worth it. The only itinerary I would grudgingly recommend: cab to Hilton from airport, stay in Hilton until Giza Tour, return to Hilton after Giza Tour. Stay in Hilton until cab comes to take you back to the airport.

1 day, GTFO. I hear Alexandria and Sharm El Sheikh are better, but I didn't get a chance to go as I was busy for kicking myself in the arse for wasting my vacation.

Also do not fall for the "come upstairs and see the picture of my father with Muhammad Ali" con. You will get guilt tripped into buying something at best.

Oh ya and squat toilets ftl
 travel4456
Msg: 12 (view)

Teaching English Abroad?
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:34:00 PM
I taught English for almost 2 years in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It definitely was an experience. Right now I am going to start my MEd, then I hope to go abroad again teaching. Possibly China, Qatar, or possibly somewhere else in that area. I have done a lot of research into the esl market, and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Your best starting place would be eslcafe.com as someone above mentioned.

Joe
 travel4456
Msg: 7 (view)

Hostels
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:28:56 PM
If you are adventurous and a cool person, you could also try couchsurfing.com. Its even cheaper!
 travel4456
Msg: 6 (view)

Hostels
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:24:55 PM
Oh and as for where the hostels that I stayed in: Canada, USA, Mexico, Ireland, England, Holland, Austria, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Bahrain, and Egypt.

travel4456
Msg: 5 (view)

Hostels
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:22:39 PM
Hostels are a great way to travel and meet people while you are traveling. For the most part you will meet some great people, and if you are traveling alone that can make or break a vacation. But, of course, there will be ***holes everywhere and you may meet some. If a hostel is crap do not be afraid to go to another in the area you are. Hostels.com is a good booking site and always read the reviews of the location, and the stats of the reviewer. A 18 yr old traveler will probably rate a place differently than a 36 yr old traveler.

Joe
 travel4456
Msg: 9 (view)

Ireland?
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:16:55 PM
I lived in Dublin & Galway for a year in 05. @ the time for St Paddy's Day I lived and worked in Dublin, I packed up and went to Galway. Absolutely fantastic place. Stay at the Claddagh Hostel while you are there, its right next to Eyre Square. I stayed here when I first got there, definitely a great place. Tried a few others and ended up coming back here after going to them. Dave, the part owner, also has a hostel out on the Aran Islands which is awesome too for a day or so. In Galway they have a parade on St Paddy's day and its a blast. Get some sleep the night before, you will definitely need it. The city is small enough that you can walk pretty much anywhere, the Róisín Dubh is a great little bar close by and they used to have Comedians every Wed. Around the corner from Roaches Dept Store/Eyre Square there is a small place called the "Hole In The Wall" where it is a small dive bar but they have cheap drinks. Good if you don't like spending 5-7Eur for a pint of Guinness. Tip, try Beamish if they have it, its cheaper. ;-)

If you go out to the Aran Islands (BEAUTIFUL) check out the Black Fort, you can walk there in about 30 minutes and its basically on the cliffs of the island, wonderful place to clear your mind. Esp with a hangover.

You can do Dublin in a day or two, Brewery is an hour or so, and St Patrick's Cathedral is a nice view. I recommend checking out the Temple Bar area and walk up Grafton St. past Trinity College on your way to St Stephens Green. You can stop in at Trinity College and check it out or you can continue up to St Stephens Green, walking up Grafton here it is foot traffic only and is really cool with innovative Busker's. Jacob's Inn is a good Hostel and is right by the Quay's. Avalon House is alright as well and is further south along Camden(Aungier) Street. Travel within Ireland is usually only a few hours with the island not being huge. The Bus is a great way to travel and is right next to Jacob's Inn Hostel in Dublin.

One of the things that is hard to grasp about Ireland are the street naming conventions. A road can, and usually will, change its name every few blocks. A Map will be extremely handy, and everything is related around the Liffey with the Quay's being the roads along the Liffey.

Cork was alright, i didn't spend enough time there to really talk about it.

Belfast was really interesting, and you get to see the Giant's Causeway up there.

If I had to recommend 9 days worth of time I would say:
1 Day Dublin
1 Day Cork (Blarney Castle is cool looking, worth a stop on the way to Galway.)
2-3 Days Galway (Make 1 of em St. Paddy's Day)
1-2 Days Aran Islands
1-2 Days Belfast (see the Giant's Causeway for sure)
1 Day Dublin on your way to fly out.

If you are able to make your flights to Shannon its closer to Galway and you could arrange your trip in a different sequence, but I would keep the amount of days the same. Again this is just my preference.

Joe

Show ALL Forums