Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: What words should be banned from profiles?
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 321 (view)

What words should be banned from profiles?
Posted: 10/27/2012 6:31:10 AM
I think we should ban people putting a long line of characters, ~~~, etc, on their profile just to fill space. It's worse than the clichéd, "I don't know what to put here"; if you don't know how to sell yourself, what am I supposed to care about? You could be a great catch but you're not going to get much interest, at least serious interest, if you most of your profile is an unbroken line of ~~~, or "I don't know what to put here" and not much else.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 28 (view)

Dating Site Scammers
Posted: 10/27/2012 6:22:44 AM
One of the few replies I've had on here was from a scammer or fake of some kind. It was obvious right away they were not on the level and whatever the conversation was about, they would always turn it back to asking me for my e-mail address, under the guise of wanting to send me more pictures of themselves. When I said they could attach the pictures to their profile and set them on private and then let me see them like that, they gave up and went away.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 199 (view)

How and why did you join POF..
Posted: 8/11/2011 11:14:47 AM
I joined on the recommendation of a friend. In an entirely unrelated matter, we no longer talk to each other.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 39 (view)

blanked !!!!
Posted: 8/1/2011 1:13:05 PM
I've met with three people off of here. They were all liars.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 4 (view)

Forum Tab....seems to be back
Posted: 6/10/2011 1:00:58 PM
What exactly was the logic behind removing it in the first place?

The owner decided he didn't want it there anymore.

I would say it really does not matter what his thought process was. He owns the site and can do whatever he feels is most beneficial in his mind. He never explained so the reason would be entirely speculation. And that has been done to death in previous threads.

SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 46 (view)

Anyone else finding POF isn't as friendly as it used to be?
Posted: 6/10/2011 12:59:11 PM
Income has little if anything to do with whether a person will respond to a message. It comes down to one of two things; whether they have the manners to respond or whether they have the courage to respond. Some people don't care enough to respond in the negative because they flat out lack the manners to do so; they've judged you unworthy of their time and therefore feel it's acceptable to ignore someone so lowly. And some don't reply because they're just afraid to. They're either scared they might offend you or they're scared you might respond with a rude message. If it's the former, then grow a set. People on here are generally adults and can deal with polite rebuff. If it's the latter then, again, grow a set. If someone sends you a rude message then just report it and block them. If someone being rude to you on the internet is enough to give you pause, then you probably shouldn't be on it in the first place.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 43 (view)

Anyone else finding POF isn't as friendly as it used to be?
Posted: 6/9/2011 4:37:11 AM
Just to comment on something that happened moments ago, but I noticed someone wanted to meet me through the Meet Me feature, so I sent them a short and polite message about it. They responded by blocking me. No, I don't get it either, but I thought I'd share an example of how unfriendly people can be.
 SeekingTheOneOut

Looks are equally as important as personality if not more..
Posted: 4/23/2011 7:16:31 AM
Looks and personality are both important in their own way but for a long-term relationship, I'd say that personality is most important. If someone looks good but their personality is terrible, and looks are your thing, then you'll put up with the personality so long as the looks keep you interested. But eventually, those looks are going to fade to where they don't interest you enough to put up with the personality, and then the relationship is doomed because you're not the type of person to value personality over looks. If you're into both, or are primarily into personality over looks, then you'll still be into the other person because it wasn't their looks that are keeping you in the relationship and it has a far better chance of surviving. Ultimately, there is hard and fast rule; what works for one person probably won't work for the next person, and it really boils down to what both people want in the relationship and are prepared to put into it.

I think for initial attraction there is no 'right' or 'wrong' and no firm rule; there is only what gets you interested and, really, that's all that matters.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 10 (view)

Royal Wedding Fever ?
Posted: 4/23/2011 2:59:32 AM
I will be doing everything I can to avoid this ostentatious nonsense. Unless, of course, something catastrophic happens, at which point I will watch for a few minutes to laugh and then go back to my daily business.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 14 (view)

Nice work on the new page POF worker bees (keep ALL posts regarding new page formats HERE)
Posted: 4/23/2011 2:57:14 AM
It's hideous. The colour scheme is garish and retina-bursting. The layout has alignment issues on almost every page. It's change for the sake of change and whoever thought this was an improvement hasn't got a clue.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 7 (view)

Accidentally blocked, no way to tell them
Posted: 4/18/2010 3:17:55 PM
I've had just had that happen for the second or third time and it's most frustrating, especially when you have only just started talking and are left wondering what is going on.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 8 (view)

Should John Terry step down as captain of England?
Posted: 2/6/2010 4:43:59 AM
If a man will betray his wife and break his matrimonial vows, what does that say about his character and how much you can trust him?

Even if you take the view that what happens off the pitch doesn't affect what happens on the pitch, in this case it does. John Terry has shown himself to be someone who puts his personal and physical satisfaction above his vows of fidelity and his supposed love for his wife. If he shows such a characteristic off the pitch, what happens when he shows it on the pitch? What happens when he goes for the glory himself rather then let a teammate in a better position have the chance? Terry has already shown it's all about himself and to hell with others. If he'll betray his wife to get his jollies, you can bet he'll betray anyone else if he feels he has the chance to. Teammates included.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 10 (view)

MMA Dream Matches
Posted: 2/2/2010 3:19:20 PM
I would love to see Overeem take on Fedor so I can see Overeem get punched so hard that his body explodes into a mass of flesh and chemical enhancements.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 95 (view)

Katie Price on TV
Posted: 11/24/2009 1:05:41 PM
She can't even read them, either.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 17 (view)

All or nothing…. or just settle for a companion
Posted: 11/20/2009 4:01:44 PM
All or nothing for me. Why settle for something I'm not really after? Why even settle at all?
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 76 (view)

Have you found what your looking for..
Posted: 11/19/2009 3:31:59 PM
Still looking and trying not to get stuck in the mindset of thinking it'll never happen. It's difficult when a profile states the person is looking for one thing, and yet their words and actions tell a completely different story. Like as been said by others, I won't settle for anything less than I want or deserve. However, that does tend to try my patience at times.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 44 (view)

How long will you stick with POF?
Posted: 11/18/2009 4:59:17 PM
You can check out of PoF but you can never leave. I'll stick with PoF until the bitter end. I hate giving on anything, even on what can sometimes feel like a lost cause.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 2 (view)

miming on tv
Posted: 11/14/2009 3:06:57 PM
I dislike miming. If I wanted to hear the CD I'd just stay at home. But if we're talking mimers, then Gerry Adams was the master.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 7 (view)

Hogan And Bischoff Join TNA
Posted: 11/13/2009 4:37:51 PM
Management forced Hogan and Nash to bury virtually every young wrestler on the roster? Or coerced Nash into writing some of the most horrific television in the history of wrestling?
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 5 (view)

Does Gordon Brown deserve such criticism over his miss spelt letter?
Posted: 11/10/2009 3:13:02 PM
If you're writing a letter of condolence to someone and you can't spell the name of the deceased, common sense says you start again and get the name right. Add to that the bevy of further errors in the letter, it's stunning that anyone allowed it to be sent out. The reason why should be glaringly obvious. You're trying to convey a message of respect and compassion, and in this case you're the leader of the country who,while not leader at the time, helped to put forth the strategy that led to this person being killed. If you can't see why that person should express their grief and sympathy in a clear, concise and, most importantly, legible manner, then I don't know what else to say. And for the same reason, that is why correct spelling matters. If someone doesn't think that is the case, then I'd like to know when they do think spelling matters if not at a time like this.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 64 (view)

Favorite MMA fighter?
Posted: 11/9/2009 12:07:29 PM
Of course Fedor has faced quality opponents. But when it comes to MMA, the subject of this thread, his record of opponents in recent years is lacking, in a variety of ways. Even when trying to highlight the quality of his opponents, you only exposed that is record of opponents isn't exactly filled with quality opponents or evenly matched opponents at that. Fujita? Ogawa? Aoki, who while talented, is outweighed by over 80lbs, and in an exhibition? You left out Hong-Man Choi and Zuluzinho.

I'll state this one more time and then leave you to drink the kool-aid of Fedor and reel off another post that typifies your user name:

Fedor is a great fighter. Very talented. And he's faced some top competition over the years. But his recent track record of opponents in MMA is severely lacking and hardly warrants ranking him as the #1 heavyweight fighter in the world today.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 62 (view)

Favorite MMA fighter?
Posted: 11/9/2009 6:10:32 AM

Took gold in Russian Judo Championships in 1997, and Bronze in 1998

All well and good but that was 12 and 11 years ago. And also not under MMA rules.

Took Gold in World Combat Sambo Championships: 2002 Thessaloniki, '02 Panama City, '05 Prague, '07 Prague, and Bronze in '08 St Petersburg

Again, if you want to show how good Fedor is as an MMA fighter, it's a good idea not to use his non-MMA record.

Russuan Sambo Championships: Bronze '98, Fold, '00, '02, '05, '06, '07, '08 & '09

One more time; Again, if you want to show how good Fedor is as an MMA fighter, it's a good idea not to use his non-MMA record. Yes, these show how good Fedor is at Sambo, but a fight under Sambo rules is a totally different thing to a fight under MMA rules.

Beat (twice) former UFC Heavyweight Champion Mark Coleman (both times in the first round).

Mark Coleman was not a top-10, or probably top-20, fighter by the time Fedor beat him.

Beat (twice) Pride FC heavyweight grand prix finalist & Pride Heavyweight Champion Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira

This one I'll give Fedor.

Beat IWGP Heavyweight champion, Kazuyuki Fujita

Fujita isn't anywhere close to being a top-level fighter. And why are you citing a professional wrestling title as his credential?

Beat division I NCAA Wrestling Champion & former UFC Heavyweight Champion Kevin "The Monster" Randleman

Yes. Randleman has those titles to his name, but he's also nowhere near a top-10 or 20 fighter. This is a guy who couldn't finish Michiyoshi Ohara and is notorious for finding ways to lose fights he should realisitcally win.

Beat All-Japan Judo Champion Naoya Ogawa

Another guy who is nowhere close to being a top-level fighter. Not to mention that more than one of his MMA win is questionable in nature.

Beat K1 rock star Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

This one I'll also give Fedor.

Beat WAMMA lightweight champion Shinya Aoki

In an exhibition match, not an MMA fight. And he also outweighed Aoki by around 80lbs.

Beat former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski

I'll sort of give you this one, too. Arlovski has the skills and record of a top fighter. But he did get KO'd by Brett Rogers in 22 seconds. And he's struggled against guys he should have handled with relative ease, considering his standing as a heavyweight.

And, as you already mentioned former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia

Sylvia is tough one to credit. He is a former UFC champion, and he does have some notable wins. But at the same time, it's hard to give him full kudos when his wins generally came from using his size and range to outpoint his opponent rather than his actual fighting skills to go for a finish. There's also the fact that hasn't been able to finish a lot of the guys he did beat, including having to hold, literally, Brandon Vera to a draw when he outweighed the guy considerably.

Except Fedor wasn't really in trouble, and Brett Rogers was nowhere near finishing the fight with G&P. He took a few punches to the face while re-positioning to mount an offense off his back (arm bar attempt) – that's what champions do. They're always looking to end the fight. That was the ONLY time Rogers was winning that fight. Other than that, Fedor was moving quickly from one submission to another on the ground, and was winning the standup exchanges. Brett got is butt handed to him, it was a very lop sided fight - especially considering Brett's 10-0 winning streak. But, isn't that the way most Fedor's fights go?

Fedor was taking some heavy punches while caught on the ground. More than 'a few', in fact. Yes, Fedor was positioning himself to try and get out of there, which he did, but he could just have easily taken one of those punches in the wrong spot and it would have been over, or not gotten out in time before the fight was stopped. If Brett got his butt handed to him, why was he able to throw off a Fedor a number of times and last beyond the round and win it in a lot of people's eyes.

I'm all for giving Fedor his due, and I actually like watching him fight and think he's really great. But the guy has holes in his game and Brett Rogers showed that. And if Brett Rogers can do that, then someone like Brock Lesnar has far better chance than "mmmiiiiigggghhhhhtttt ". Again, I like Fedor and thinks he's got exceptional talent. But people really need to stop drinking the Fedor kool-aid.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 54 (view)

Favorite MMA fighter?
Posted: 11/8/2009 6:09:28 AM
If Brett Rogers can have Fedor in trouble, almost stopping it via ground and pound, then Brock Lesnar would give Fedor fits.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 27 (view)

Can Haye Win ?
Posted: 11/6/2009 7:15:11 AM
Of course Haye can win. I can also win the lottery, and both are just as likely to happen. Haye is going to do well for the first couple of rounds, get overconfident, and walk right into one of those sledgehammers that Valuev calls fists. At least, that's what I hope happens.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 23 (view)

UFC 104: Machida vs. Rua announced
Posted: 10/26/2009 2:21:11 PM
A reminder to PoF; Don't feed the trolls.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 43 (view)

Favorite MMA fighter?
Posted: 10/12/2009 5:38:44 PM
And unless UFC decides to absorb the WEC nobody outside of a very limited audience will have a clue who Urijah Faber is. As long as WEC is kept entirely separate, it doesn't really matter what a fighter does there because nobody really knows who they are. Ask the average MMA fan what they thought of the Henderson vs. Cerrone fight and they won't have a clue what you're talking about.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 36 (view)

Favorite MMA fighter?
Posted: 10/11/2009 1:22:43 PM
MSG #34

Those are the facts of the negotiations; Fedor's management had a whole list of demands and UFC was willing to meet them all, including making Fedor their highest paid fighter by far. They're not going to co-promote because they have nothing to really gain. Yes, they'll get Fedor, but let's look at Fedor for a moment. Talent-wise, yes, he's been right up there with the best. But when was the last time Fedor fought someone who was talented enough and enough of a threat to where, after beating them, Fedor could be considered to have rightfully earned the title of the best heavyweight fighter in the world?

Arlovski? Not a top ten fighter, but he gave Fedor a fair bit of trouble until he decided to go Bruce Lee on Fedor and got himself knocked out thanks to his legendary glass chin.

Sylvia? For all his success, Sylvia is not a great fighter. Sylvia's success has come through his size and reach rather than actual ability. And when Fedor's management were talking with UFC a year or so ago, they outright said they didn't want Fedor to fight Sylvia.

Hong-Man Choi? Please.

Matt Lindland? At least two or three weight classes below Fedor and size matters at the top level.

Mark Hunt? Granite chin and hard hitter, but one-dimensional and not in Fedor's league.

Mark Coleman? Zuluzinho?

You have to go back almost four years to when Fedor fought Mirko Cro Cop to find the last opponent Fedor faced who was a danger to him and a real threat.

I'm not dismissing Fedor's talent, because he really is one of the most talented fighters around. But he hasn't faced a real challenge in so long that to call him the #1 fighter in the world is comical.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 33 (view)

Favorite MMA fighter?
Posted: 10/11/2009 8:33:06 AM
UFC bent over backwards for Fedor, offering him ridiculous money to sign and agreeing to almost every demand his management wanted. The sticking point was that Fedor's management wanted to co-promote with UFC, which is the one thing UFC aren't willing to do. And they knew that.
 SeekingTheOneOut

Favorite MMA fighter?
Posted: 10/10/2009 7:33:24 PM
A post such as that is another reason why Brock is one of my favorite MMA fighters.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 20 (view)

Favorite MMA fighter?
Posted: 10/6/2009 3:58:23 PM
While it is true you don't stop fighting until the referee tells you to, Henderson did admit afterwards that he knew Bisping was unconscious and threw that last punch anyway. So while Dan followed the letter of the law, he didn't follow the spirit of the law, which is to protect fighters from unnecessary punishment.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 39 (view)

Boxing question
Posted: 10/6/2009 4:35:21 AM
Any mythical UFC vs. Boxing fight would be between the two biggest names in whatever weight class the fight takes place in, and neither Sherk nor Cintron fit into that category. Talk of such a 'superfight' is irrelevant because it's never going to happen; if it's under MMA rules, good luck in finding a major boxing name willing to risk his reputation in a fight where the odds are very good he'll lose.

And if we're scoring things, it's

Ray Mercer 1

MMA 1

You're forgetting Mercer losing to Kimbo Slice by, of all things, submission. Not that a victory over either Mercer, Sylvia or Slice really means a whole lot.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 36 (view)

Boxing question
Posted: 10/2/2009 5:39:24 AM
Of course Mayweather-Marquez 'absolutely shit on' UFC 103. Franklin against Belfort wasn't an 'A' level main event and everyone knew that going in. Nobody expected it to get anywhere close to what Mayweather-Marquez was going to get in terms of interest, attendance or buy rate. Strange how it hasn't been mentioned that UFC 100 outdrew the Mayweather-Marquez fight on PPV by a considerable margin and that, contrary to the recent press release from the Boxing Promoters Association, it also generated more PPV revenue than Mayweather-Marquez, also by quite a margin. The fact remains that UFC is the king of PPV right now.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 31 (view)

Boxing question
Posted: 9/26/2009 5:00:20 PM
Aren't most sports, and most entertainment products in general, niche deals that tend to skew to certain demographics while eschewing certain others? UFC's numbers eclipsed those of boxing a couple of years ago and they're recognized as the current kings of PPV. Mayweather/Marquez did get over 1 million buys, but it's important to recognize that it's not a sign that boxing is still strong or strong again.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 13 (view)

Extremely annoying commercials
Posted: 9/13/2009 4:36:45 AM
All of them annoy me. I always skip the adverts when I'm watching something I've recorded, and if I'm watching something 'live', I just pause and do something else for those five minutes and come back when the adverts are over.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 89 (view)

MILTON KEYNES COMEBACK PARTY ~ Sat 29th August ~ Giffard Park Pub ~ 8pm till 1am
Posted: 8/29/2009 11:04:34 AM
Bless ye. Less than an hour to go. No going back now.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 87 (view)

MILTON KEYNES COMEBACK PARTY ~ Sat 29th August ~ Giffard Park Pub ~ 8pm till 1am
Posted: 8/29/2009 10:35:02 AM
Will no one think of the male PoF party newbies?
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 77 (view)

Who is in the wrong? Affairs within Marriage
Posted: 8/28/2009 4:16:45 AM
I agree with Msg #140.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 73 (view)

Posted: 8/27/2009 1:13:33 PM
Less than 48 hours to go. This is my first meet and I'm probably far too relaxed over that fact. I'm looking forward to it in a car-wreck sort of way.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 66 (view)

Posted: 8/24/2009 3:21:49 PM
Five days to go and 160 people confirmed as going, though it'll probably wind up around the 200 mark. The venue is going to be packed. The anticipation is building.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 51 (view)

Posted: 8/20/2009 11:11:41 AM
Those of us going alone could always join together to form a protest group against coupledom at the party. We could jeer and boo at people who went to the party together.
 SeekingTheOneOut

released on compassionate grounds? Lockerbie Bomber
Posted: 8/20/2009 5:34:02 AM
The main thing I don't like about Megrahi's situation is that once he dies, those in power will likely use it as an excuse to not continue the investigation into the facts behind the bombing. The full truth about the bombing hasn't come out and once Megrahi dies, a lot of people will use that as a convenient reason to try and put the whole matter to rest.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 45 (view)

Posted: 8/19/2009 7:19:18 AM
I'll be going solo as well, though I have been able to arrange a lift to get there. Which means there's no backing out now. *gulp*
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 3 (view)

Time machine - where would you go and who would you meet?
Posted: 8/18/2009 5:52:17 AM
I would travel to the dawn of time so I could see how the universe as we know it was formed.

I would like to meet Jesus. I don't have any religious beliefs, and I don't think Jesus was the son of any deity. I think he was just a regular person who simply wanted to do what he thought was the right thing, and from that, for whatever reason, a faith was born. And I'd like to see first hand how that happened.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 30 (view)

Posted: 8/12/2009 5:36:09 PM
100 members are going but if the average member brings one guest we're going to have 200 people there. Hopefully there won't be too many people getting lost in the crowd.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 8/10/2009 5:30:06 PM
I will be there for sure. This will be my first PoF party, so I'll probably try and get lost in the crowd while I get used to being there. If all else fails, I'll just rifle through coats for loose change so I can call a cab.
 SeekingTheOneOut

I've never actually met anyone who gives a flying fish about slebrity marriages, shoes, holidays, af
Posted: 8/10/2009 3:29:26 PM
I wouldn't pay a penny to read about Jordan but I'd give money to contribute to her funeral expenses. And she'll never end up like Diana. Jordan has portable airbags for a start.
 SeekingTheOneOut

Your Birthday And What It Means For You
Posted: 8/6/2009 5:42:58 PM
I'm with the people for who their birthday used to mean a grand celebration and the obligatory presents, but is now just another day. That's how my last birthday was, just another day with nothing special, and that's how they'll all likely be from now on.
 SeekingTheOneOut

Who wants a happy ending?
Posted: 8/4/2009 1:06:25 PM
To me, a 'happy ending' is a long-term committed relationship, and of course I want that. I'm also realistic enough to know that such a relationship doesn't mean 'happily ever after', which is pure myth anyway but one that far too many people seem to buy into. Real relationships aren't sugary sweet with no raised voices or arguments. Once you realize that, you're more likely to find a real happy ending, rather than a false one which can only lead to the pain from when reality sinks in.
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 40 (view)

Song titles..... During sex
Posted: 8/3/2009 1:01:33 PM
Jewel
Down So Long...during sex.

Garbage
Push It...during sex.

Natalie Imbrugila
Torn...during sex.
 SeekingTheOneOut

What do you want to read in your first mail.
Posted: 8/2/2009 5:16:08 PM
Anything but text speak. And showing some level of intelligence.

Show ALL Forums