Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Interstate Or Intrastate Migration
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 45 (view)

Interstate Or Intrastate Migration
Posted: 1/5/2019 11:37:29 AM
OK, so let's talk about walls. Anybody remember the Berlin Wall? I do.

27 miles from end to end, with the wall being 96 miles long in total, because of the zig-zag path.

It was 12 feet high and topped by barbed wire. 55,000 land mines. 3,000 attack dogs on patrol. It had barbed wire. It had canine patrols. It was watched over with manned machine gun nets. Over 300 guard towers, fully manned, 24/7. Spikes, ditches, more barbed wire, and vehicles to create obstacles.

And still, people managed to cross almost daily.

Now - the border between Mexico and the USA. 3,100km, or almost 2,000 miles. SEVENTY FOUR times longer.

If you lot think that building that wall is going to make you any more secure, you're delusional.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 4 (view)

canadian immigration laws: old vs. new
Posted: 12/12/2018 8:36:11 PM
dude .... newsflash: Canada changed immigration from just British/French way back when Trudeau the Elder was in power. It's not a new thing.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 29 (view)

Ms(?) Christine Blowsy-Fraud
Posted: 10/12/2018 9:23:08 PM
@DDSearle, so there is no chance for confusion:

^ Why advertise your witlessness?
Comment 9 is not addressed to me –

@platitude545:

being a pseudo intellectual and a pseudo linguist as I am sure you see yourself

Just fyi ..... a linguist is somebody who studies linguistics, or somebody who is fluent in many languages. Using big words and contorted grammar doesn't make him a linguist - it makes him a pretentious wankerbutt with a large vocabulary.

First - it was comment #6, not comment #9. Guess your worldview isn't the only thing that's upside down.

Second - it may not have been specifically addressed to you, but if you can't see that it was absolutely directed at you, then your brain is even thicker than your writing.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 6 (view)

Blowsy Fraud
Posted: 10/9/2018 3:35:19 PM
@platitude545:

being a pseudo intellectual and a pseudo linguist as I am sure you see yourself

Just fyi ..... a linguist is somebody who studies linguistics, or somebody who is fluent in many languages. Using big words and contorted grammar doesn't make him a linguist - it makes him a pretentious wankerbutt with a large vocabulary.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 772 (view)

Post your unpopular opinions here.
Posted: 8/24/2018 9:30:10 PM
@backcreek7:

my unpopular opinion is ~ many think bluegrass music is un-cool & for hillbillys...
uh ahh, no way jose' ( col )

The only country song I've ever liked, done by Dean Hall (blues man), in the whiniest Hank Williams manner possible ...

If You Play Another Country Song (I'm Gonna Have To Kick Your Ass)

He stepped up to the jukebox
Big ol' teardrops in his eyes.
He's gonna play that cheatin' song
I've heard a thousand times.
I went up and said you know she's hurt you
But you know that'll pass.
But if you play another country song
I'm gonna have to kick your ass.

If you play another country song
I'm goinna have to kick your ass.
I just came in here, Lord, to drink a beer,
Thanks to you I can't relax.
I got nothing against Hank Williams,
So I'll just state the facts:
If you play another country song,

I don't know how to two step
and twin fiddles make me sick.
And yeah, I'd like the steel guitar
And throw it off the Shelby Street bridge.
And that line dance you've been doing to me
Is like walking on crushed glass.
So if you play another country song

He stepped back from the jukebox
And he looked a bit reformed.
He said "I've never even roped a steer.
Hell, I live in a dorm".
Well he tossed his hat
and he dropped his chaps
and got everyone's attention.
He raised his glass and said
"Y'all kiss my ass!":
and repeated, what I aforementioned.

You are better off with a broken heart
than a full length body cast.
So if you play another country song
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 697 (view)

Post your unpopular opinions here.
Posted: 7/14/2018 9:58:08 AM
@vlad:

[Here yous yanks, canucks and ozzie types i posted this on the uk forum but as it includes a sherman as part of the story ive posted here as well.

You do realise that us Canucks appreciate being lumped in with "Shermans" about as much as you would appreciate being called English, right?
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 28 (view)

DIFFERENT Languages and Cultures
Posted: 7/3/2018 11:56:29 AM
Highliner Fish Products had a commercial years ago. It featured a stereotypical Newfoundland fisherman. He was standing on the shore at the bottom of a cliff, waves crashing all around him, and wearing a Sou'wester. He spoke on and on about the pride Highliner took in the selection of its fish, the cleaning, the packaging, and the energy and effort they expended trying to ensure that their fish got from the ocean to your table as quickly, cheaply, and freshly as possible.

Now since this fisherman was the real thing - from as deep in the bay as possible - there was only one problem; nobody who wasn't from the rock would have had the slightest clue wtf he was saying, because he was speaking so fast, with such a strong accent, and a vocabulary not heard outside Newfoundland for 200 years. Which is probably why the commercial came complete with English subtitles :)
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 48 (view)

Mr Gorbachev, Tear down these broads
Posted: 6/24/2018 10:09:00 AM
@purplereider1200:

Who you voted for in YOUR COUNTRIES election is your business. Since the politics in your country is your business, then my opinion means nothing (As it should be)

Your $02 worth on how we run our country is none of your affair. We need your views like we need a hole in the head.

Well you see, that's the thing. You're in a forum (forum (n): a public meeting place for discussion) in an international dating site. That means you're going to have people from all over the world in here. And when you post your opinion in here, guess what? Other people are going to do the same. Who'da thunk. I believe you lot down there call it "free speech" or something like that, and I seem to recall being told on multiple occasions that you lot are rather fond of it.

You are like some third party that is telling me how to do MY JOB. To me you are just some nosy buttinski that likes to shoot his mouth off about something he saw on some home improvement program. You're not doing the job. You're not paying me. You don't know my budget. For all I know, you were the one that screwed it up to begin with, and I got called in BECAUSE it was done wrong.

There's a big difference between telling somebody what I think in a public forum (that public discussion thing) and telling them what to do.

So, get out of my face. Shut your mouth. And go away. You just became another Cretin that I'll ignore.

I'm sorry - what was that you said earlier about getting along with your neighbours?
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 44 (view)

Posted: 6/23/2018 11:30:29 PM
@purplerider1200:

Ok, for whom did you vote for in the last election?

None of your damned business, but rest assured that I did.

If you didn't vote in the last election, then you gave up your right to complain.

That, I absolutely agree with. That's why I've voted in every federal, provincial and municipal election since I was 17. I'll be 60 in September.

By the way-I don't give a dam what my neighbors think. We all get along great, because we mind our own business.

Yeah - you get along with your neighbours and allies so well your relationship with them is a solid 10, right? right?

And given your 200+ years of interfering in the internal affairs of countries around the world - militarily and otherwise - you're an absolutely wonderful example of minding your own business.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 40 (view)

Posted: 6/23/2018 1:53:30 PM
@purplerider1200:

Oh yes, there's plenty of extreme lefties on here. Some don't even have a dog in this fight, because they are Canadians.

From Pierre Trudeau, at the National Press Club in Washington (sorry, I forget the year) :

Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.

So yeah, us Canucks do have a dog in this fight, whether we - or YOU - like it or not.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 96 (view)

We lost another to suicide
Posted: 6/20/2018 10:53:41 PM
@lightata:

Its one thing to terminate for offensive and insulting conduct, another being terminated simply because of your opinions and the content of your posts

Did it ever occur to you that the opinions and the content of said posts might be offensive, and qualify as insulting conduct?
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 34 (view)

Story behind your User Name
Posted: 6/17/2018 9:13:45 PM
@machImustangII:

oh ffs, REALLY?

But perhaps Gorshkov thought of his quote from I think a Churchill quote, that Americans will do the right thing, after they've tried everything else?

If you had actually read what I had written, maybe you would have noticed that I've actually read the Admiral's writings, and that I have a degree in Soviet & East European Studies, so maybe I was thinking of a quote from the Admiral ..... as I said. And whatever the quote was, you obviously didn't read or understand it, either. It was a comment about rigid Soviet Naval doctrine (which Gorshkov had a great hand in formulating) vs the American approach which gave their commanders much more freedom of action depending on the situation. It made them harder to predict and therefore harder to fight. It had absolutely zero to do with the right OR wrong thing.

We can be a rule of law country, compared to some that live by the bribe, but on the other hand, we can also live up to what Gorshkov said. Of course, I think a lot of countries do as well...when it suits them :) Funny how we can understand global politics by watching very young children play together.

I just made a comment yesterday in another thread about how the forums are mostly deserted now because the people left here seem to be utterly incapable of having a discussion about ANY topic without politics rearing its ugly head
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 29 (view)

Story behind your User Name
Posted: 6/16/2018 10:01:25 PM
Many, many moons ago, I was in intelligence in the Canadian Navy, where I learned to speak Russian. I have an honours degree in Soviet & East European Studies. I took my name from Admiral Gorshkov, architect of the Soviet Navy - I was a great fan of his strategic writings. My favorite quote from the Admiral? "The most difficult thing about planning against the Americans, is that they do not read their own doctrine, and they would feel no particular obligation to follow it if they did." I figure that says it all :)

A few years ago, I got into a bit of a pissing match with a poster in one of the forums. I know personal attacks are verboten, and I'm not stupid ..... so instead of telling one poster what I thought of his last post, I kinda/sorta implied that he had the IQ of a lobotomized kumquat. Well, turns out that said kumquat just happened to be one of the forum moderators. I got banned. For 5 freaking years.

Two days later I became NotGorshkovAgain.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 26 (view)

We lost another to suicide
Posted: 6/16/2018 9:48:57 PM
I don't care where on the political spectrum you fall ........ if you're taking a thread about a suicide and turning it into partisan pissing match about abortion or anything else, you've got freaking issues. There's a reason so many people have stopped coming in here - and you're it.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 682 (view)

Post your unpopular opinions here
Posted: 6/4/2018 9:57:12 AM
@halcyon skies:

Here's her video. You can draw your own conclusions, but my opinion of her still stands:

https://downtrend.com/donn-marten/premature-o-gasm-video-emerges-of-oprah-wishing-for-old-white-people-to-die/

I've a degree in history, and I'm looking at this from that perspective. I watched the video, and I think she's absolutely correct. First - she never said old white people have to die. She said "they" have to die, referring to the people who grew up steeped in racism. That's a big difference.

When you have something - good or bad - so deeply entrenched into a culture or society, the only way to get rid of it is via generational change. And that doesn't happen until the generation in question is no longer around - that is, they have to die.

It does NOT mean you're advocating killing or violence - it's simply a recognition that some change happens slowly over time, on a generational time scale, and you can't really progress till the previous generation is no long around.

It wasn't racist. It wasn't inciting, or a call to arms. It was simply a very astute observation from somebody who''s pretty obviously taken a very good, hard look at the issue and applied some context.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 15 (view)

420 Friendly Females are like unicorns...
Posted: 5/25/2018 8:45:22 PM
@rise above this:

Yes alcohol is far more dangerous to society than 420 but honestly do you really want a lot of stoned people owning guns.

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick (personally, I don't want to be around anybody who is on ANYTHING that has a gun), I would absolutely pick a stoner with a gun over a drunk with a gun. And the people who disagree with me will be very dead, very shortly.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 17 (view)

Why a council is changing pedestrian crossing symbols to female
Posted: 5/25/2018 8:36:03 PM
@kutekrazykinkster:

This is the crap feminists in the western world complain about while ignoring the treatment of women from islam. Not to mention, if a male complains about any male issue, an issue that is way more important than pedestrian lights, feminists usually ridicule him and tell him he's a whiny cry baby etc etc.

I don't see a male issue here, so why did you even bring that up? Are you a whiny cry baby?

Oh I see. When males complain about feminists, it's immaturity. When feminists complain about males, even to the point of how we sit on public transport, it's not immaturity. Feminists can complain about anything ridiculously petty like crying over what a pedestrian crossing does, that is magically not immaturity. Laughs

Regarding your complaints about being called a whiny cry baby ...........

1. Why don't you have a problem with feminists complaining?

I have many issues with feminism. And out of curiosity, how do you propose that feminists (or any other -ist, when it comes to that) raise issues that they think need to be addressed if they don't "complain" about it? Weather you think it's trivial or not has absolutely nothing to do with it.

2. Why attack the person who is criticizing an example of feminist stupidity instead of attacking the people who are being stupid such as the case I linked up.

People are individuals, male or female, black or white, muslim or christian, etc. People's stupidity (which is many cases is not, in fact, stupidity, but merely disagreement), is THEIR stupidity. As an example, this thread. It's not an example of male OR female stupidity. It's an example of YOUR stupidity.

Let me make something perfectly clear. I'm a 6'2", 220 lb male who has a now 29 year old daughter that I raised by myself since she was 6 months old. You don't even want to *think* about all the hassles I had to deal with trying to raise a seriously cute little blondie girl by myself 30 years ago. So yeah, I know men's issues. And trust me when I say that back then, if you had started talking the way you're talking now, every man involved with men's issues would have taken you aside and told you to STFU because you wern't helping.

So grow up. Grow a pair. Instead of whining about men's issues, get involved and actually DO SOMETHING. But for god's sake, PLEASE, STFU. You're only making yourself look like an idiot.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 16 (view)

THANK A TRUMP VOTER: FCC is expected to unveil its plan to destroy net neutrality during Thanksgivin
Posted: 11/23/2017 4:31:48 AM
@deetristate:

did you have to pay for the sites two years ago?

As a matter of fact, yes, you were starting to.

a) Comcast vs Netflix. Netflix pays for their connection to the internet. You pay for your connection to the internet. What Comcast tried to do (and this was one of the drivers behind the regulations that were put into place) was ALSO charge netflix - and if they didn't pay up, they wouldn't deliver to you. If that had happened .. Netflix would have had no choice but to raise prices, so yes, YOU would have paid more.

b) Zero rating. AT&T owns a bunch of broadcasters, Comcast owns a different bunch, yadda yadda yadda. They impose data caps (absolutly arbitrary - there is exactly ZERO techincal requirement for them). Then they say "if you use OUR content, it won't count against your data cap. If, however, you go to anybody else's sites, it's gonna cost you.

c) The other side of this is where an ISP goes to a vendor and gives them (website/app developer/whatever) faster access, or more bandwidth, or guarenteed connection, if they pay extra. If you don't ..... well, good luck trying to get customers, 'cause they won't be able to get to you - or if they can, it'll take forever and a half. Oh, yeah - and said vendor is going to have to - guess what? Raise their prices to compensate. So it costs YOU.

d) AT&Ts phantom cookies, injected into your connection WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR PERMISSION. These cookies could not be deleted; they used them to track your movements, which allowed them to target you more precicely, which allowed them to charge more for advertising, which they then inserted into YOUR datastream. Even ignoring the blatant invasion of privacy, all these extra ads used more bandwidth - which cost YOU more. Comcast did the same thing, but without the phantom cookies - that is, intercepting your connections and inserting their own junk into it.

Let me stress this - these are not potentialities. THESE ACTUALLY HAPPENED. This is what they were doing more and more BEFORE the net neutrality rules. Now they don't do it, because they can't. How long do you honestly think it will take them to start again when the rules are abandoned?

""""Net Neutrality is a false promise. The concept has been marketed to a gullible public and the news media as “open access to the Internet” for everyone.

Tell me, dee - what would you do if you tried to call a friend in Florida, and got a message that your call couldn't be completed because you Florida Tel wouldn't pay extra to have calls completed on weekends? What if you were charged an extra 30 cents/minute because you were calling your father and not your mother?. It would never happen, and it's rediculous, I know ..... BECAUSE THEY ARE REGULATED. A phone call is a phone call is a phone call. Doesn't matter who you call, or what you talk about - it's none of the phone company's business. THAT is what net neutrality is - if I want to go to site X, you connect me to site X, and it doesn't cost any more (or less) than site Y. As long as I pay for my phone, and you pay for yours, I can call you for no more (or less) than I pay to call anybody else. I don't get dinged extra because I called you instead of your sister, nor do I get a discount if I call your sister instead of you. It's NEUTRAL.

In fact, all that Net Neutrality represents is a way for highly profitable companies like Google, Amazon, and Microsoft to shift the costs of developing new applications to consumers … before the applications exist.

You obviously know absolutly nothing about how google works. When was the last time you gave google money? Never? Well, that's because you are not, and never will be, a google customer. You're their PRODUCT. They sell your eyeballs to advertisers. THEY are google's customers.

The "costs" they shift to you is called R&D. How are they any different from any other company that develops a product and sells it at a profit? Isn't that ALL companies - at least, the ones that aren't bankrupt? And just how are they shifting them to you, and how would it be different with or without net neutrality? It's a bullshit arguement.

If you don’t play online games that use a lot of bandwidth, you still pay for that bandwidth, thanks to Net Neutrality. Yes, your neighbor who stays up all night playing loud video games on the Internet is able to do so in part because YOU underwrite his access.

I use the phone for maybe a total of 30 minutes per month. Much less than what my sister uses, who loves talking for hours and hours and hours and hours to my other sisters. But we still have the same bill - which is essentially a bill for ACCESS, which we both have. What's your point?

This accounting trickery has cheated millions of consumers out of cheaper Internet access. If you don’t use the services, why should you pay for them?

bull*cough*crap. You have no understanding of the costs of the internet. The big cost is the inital buildout - and that is VERY expensive. But once you have the network in place, maintenance costs basically drop to so close to zero it's a rounding error.

Want some numbers? Even factoring in the costs of the infrastructure (building the network in the first place) and operating costs (techs, power, etc) - the costs is somewhere between 1 cent (according to Netflix), to 10-15 cents (various analysts). Naturally, the ISPs claim it's much higher than that - up to 20 or even 25 cents/GB.

The average American phone user uses 1.8 GB/month. that comes out to a little less than 50 cents, accourding to the ISP's own claims. How much do you pay for your data plan? More than 50 cents?

The average AT&T fiber user uses 100GB/month. That would come to $25. So tell me, dee, how much is your internet bill? And just how much in terms of cost could *possibly* be shifted to you, when all that money is going to AT&T? (BTW - AT&T's gross margin for internet operations last year was 61.5%. They're not in danger of going bankrupt any time soon.

Unfortunately, the large tech companies that wanted to impose Net Neutrality on you paid for expensive lobbyists to convince people in Washington, D.C. that this is really a good thing.""""

Last year, Google spent $6 million in lobbying in Washington. Apple $2.2 million, Amazon $3.2 million.

AT&T - BY ITSELF - spent $17.46 million in 2012, $15.935 million in 2013, $14.2 million in 2014, $16.37 million in 2015, $16.37 million again in 2016, and $13.32 million thus far this year.

Wonder how much it would be if I bothered to look up Concast et all and added them in as well?

-- Signed, somebody who has been a computer programmer since the early '80s, and was in the internet when it was still DARPANET/ARPANET, and remembers when 2400 baud acoustic couplers were bleeding edge.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 13 (view)

Scary Backwoods Situations
Posted: 11/13/2017 7:39:05 PM
I've never been scared or spooked in the woods - but then again, I grew up in Labrador and grew up hunting, fishing, camping, and just generally running around. It's a question of familiarity more than anything else.

As far as bears are concerned ........ a) do NOT sleep in the same place you store your food. Bring a rope - tie one end to the bag containing your edibles, throw the other end over a tree branch, and hoist it up off the ground. Problem solved. b) When you walk through the woods, SING. Doesn't have to be good. Doesn't even have to be that loud. Most bear/wolf/whatever attacks in occur because YOU spooked the animal and it feels cornered or trapped. If you make noise, it knows you're comming, and will generally stear clear of you. You won't even know they're around.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 3153 (view)

Will President Elect Donald Trump Last The Full 4 Years?
Posted: 8/2/2017 11:28:01 PM
@mungojoe:

And it gave me an idea... If they really wanted to accelerate Trump's melt-down... Every movie Hollywood makes now... which has a "President" character... should cast Hillary or a look-alike...

Joe - I usually don't like your posts, and my sphincter invariably snaps shut every time I see your name or picture next to one ..... but THAT was a classic :)

It was well worth the $23.00 it'll cost me to replace the keyboard I spit half a cup of coffee on when I read it :)
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 30 (view)

a touching story about your Wang
Posted: 7/17/2017 7:42:42 AM
@Watts:

In short - her attitude sucks.

Ask yourself if her attitude sucks because her observations are true????

The only difference between her and a 6 month old baby crying for her bottle is that she's using her words.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 26 (view)

Posted: 7/16/2017 8:57:59 PM
again, @op:

Sorry - I missed this bit, and just noticed it.

IBM was sure they had their bread and butter in the hardware (desktop computers), so they fobbed off the software programming to someone, thinking they were just too big to waste their time on such a small "side project". But, MS DOS quickly dominated the software market, and IBM got underpriced out of its market by competitors who could build and sell the same thing for cheaper.

Perspective. The best estimates IBM had at the time for sales over the product cycle (which at the time was 5-10 years) was only about 250,000. The ESTIMATES were the big fvckup - but to be fair, nobody predicted what would happen to the market.If they had known then what they know now, I'm sure the deal wouldn't have been be *quite* the same :)
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 7/16/2017 8:51:05 PM
@halforhalfnot:

Your initial point about how IBM lost to smaller, more nimble companies is correct. And it's also true that Compaq reverse engineered the AMIBIOS that lead to all the IBM clones (as they were then called) to exist.

You seem to be forgetting that IBM published the source code for their BIOS in the Technical Reference Manual. And it was the BIOS. AMIBIOS was a clone BIOS made by AMI.

And just to be a persnickety **stard: Microsoft didn't develop the disc operating system, they just bought a pirated copy of Digital Research's.

Not true. Microsoft was trying to develop their own operating system, but were having problems and were unable to meet the deadline promised to IBM. Seattle Computer Products - a company that made single-board computers - had developed (for internal use) a CP/M clone tu use in testing their boards. Microsoft bought THAT, and gave it to IBM as MS-DOS.

@op:

Now back on topic ...... if the person that wrote that article was an employee of mine, she would be an ex-employee as of Monday morning. What is NOT good for business - or the health and well-being of any other employees - is being subjected to whiney, self-indulgent, sanctimonious bullcrap from other employees.

In short - her attitude sucks.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 36 (view)

Favorite Science-Fiction Movies/Series?
Posted: 7/2/2017 3:01:20 AM
How the bloody hell has nobody mentioned Babylon 5?
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 22 (view)

Making Money in in the Propaganda Industry
Posted: 1/29/2017 5:52:16 PM
@justinelle:

When I say Easter Europe, maybe some of the enlightened ones should get a map out. Eastern Europe, NOT Eastern Ukraine , as pretending to know and not knowing makes one wonder if anyone actually knows what they are talking about.

Does anyone actually know where Ukraine is? Fooling the public all the time is easy when they are poorly educated. Which was the whole point of the Regan educational reforms, and it appears to have worked.

Well, I was educated in Canada, not the USA, and before Regan was president, so I'm pretty sure whatever he did had no affect on me.

That being said ...... I just looked at a map, and to me, the Ukraine looks like it's in the eastern part of Europe, which - to my tiny mind - means it's in eastern Europe.

Where do YOU think it is?
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 42 (view)

The Russian Threat - Putin's plan to take over the world
Posted: 1/29/2017 5:28:37 PM

Some boring facts about the Russian THREAT and PUTIN’s plan to take over the world

The number of Troops NATO has 3,601,650

Russia has 766,000 Troops

The number of Tanks NATO has 19,133

Russia has 15,398 Tanks

The number of Aircraft NATO has 21,245

Russia has 3,547 Aircraft

The number of Naval Vessels NATO has is 1,774

Russia has 352 Navel Vessels

The total yearly spend of the Military Budget of NATO is ….842billion

Russia spends 46 billion a years on defense.

So where is this threat coming from?

First - Igor is right on in his assessment, as he usually is, so I'll leave his points as they are. What I'm going to do is try to show you how those facts you state don't matter.

Second - spending money does not guarantee military success. Examples: Viet Nam vs France, Viet Nam vs USA, Castro vs Batista, Russia vs Afganistan, or - one you may have some passing familiarity with - the Revolutionary War you lot fought against the British to send them back to their side of the pond.
So the US/NATO outnumbers Russia in men aircraft, tanks, and navel vessels. (You forgot artillery, and almost every other category of military equipment, 'cept for nukes, but we'll leave that one alone for now).

Does it matter? Nope. Not one little bit.

You see, how much stuff you have (and therefore, all the money you spent getting it) is absolutely immaterial. What DOES matter, however, is how much of it you can DELIVER TO THE BATTLEFIELD. You may have 20 tanks at your disposal, while I have 20,000. I should win, right? Not necessarily. If you decide to fight in an area where you have 15 or your 20 tanks, while I only have 2 of my 20,000, I'm screwed. Totals don't win wars or battles - BATTLEFIELD superiority does. How the hell do you think Blitzkrieg worked during WWII? At the start of WWII, the Allies had more total aircraft and tanks than Germany - how much of a difference did THAT make?

Now, let's look at the practicalities. Let's pretend for a moment that Putin really is as stupid as you seem to think others think he is, and goes on TV tomorrow, rants for 6 hours, and finishes up with "So I hereby declare war on the world!

NOW, the totals are going to matter. Because the battlefield is going to be all of Russia, and it will be relativly easy for the USA and it's NATO allies to bring their forces to bear. (assuming he's stupid enough to do that, but not stupid enough to start throwing nukes around). Guess that makes you right.

Except Putin is NOT that stupid - not by a long shot. He's going to do the same thing every Russian/SOviet leader has ever done. pick ... pick ... pick .... pick .... He'll pick some place out of the way of the Allies like - oh, say - the Ukraine. How many tanks Russia vs Ukraine? How many aircraft? How many uniforms? All of a sudden, your math doesn't matter, because they aren't involved. Oh, and one other thing. By far and away, the most single effective weapon Putin had in the Ukraine, that was overwhelmingly responsible for his victory, didn't cost him a single (red) cent. It's called SURPRISE.

"But the Ukraine isn't a NATO member, so it doesn't count" I hear you say. OK, let's pick another example.

Let's try Europe, and pretends he decides he wants to go into Poland (a Russian tradition), or the Baltic states (another Russian tradition). Because he's starting the fight, he's (presumably) prepared. So he blows the whistle, and the fight is on. Because he's prepared, every one of his 15,000 tanks is inside Poland (or Latvia, or Lithuania, or Norway, or wherever) inside of a few hours. Well .... how are the Allies going to get THEIR tanks there? Even if by some miraculous stroke of good luck every tank in their inventory was in a transport ready to go, it would take days/weeks to get them over there, organized, and ready to push back .... assuming the transports had some place to land. By this time, Putin has every airfield in the country. Beginning to see the problem now? SO they land in Germany, France, England, maybe the Low Countries, and start driving. By the time they get there, Poland is already a Russian satellite. SO they park on the border, the allies park on their side of the border, and that's pretty well it - because the Allies won't risk invading WHAT IS NOW RUSSIA. And Putin got what he wanted.

It's easy to explain Russian paranoia if you know anything about it's history - but it's real, and it's not going away any time soon. The idea that Russia is a poor, defenseless put-upon peacenik that the world keeps picking on is a total, utter, 100% bullshite.

And don't come back at me as being some sort of commie-hating, anti-Russian demagogue. You're talking to somebody who has an honours degree in Soviet & East European Studies, and who's screen name everywhere online but here is AdmiralGorshkov or some variant.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 4007 (view)

Trump for President
Posted: 7/14/2016 6:22:19 PM
I've been reading this and other American election threads, but have not commented very much at all. I doubt anybody has noticed, because unlike many of the others in here, I really don't think the world revolved around me :)

That being said ......... being Canadian, the result of your elections does not, per se, affect me. But for the first time in my life, I'm going to do/say three things that I thought I would never EVER do, under ANY circumstances.

1) Agree with Pierre Trudeau, who I consider to be an unmitigated disaster and one of the worst Prime Minsters we've ever had, when he said (Washington Press Club, 1969):

Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.

So yes, what you lot down there decide will affect me, like it or not. Which brings me to

2) Looking at your choices - Trump or Clinton - I'm suddenly glad we have a Trudeau for a Prime Minister, because it could be a LOT worse.

Which brings me - a life-long atheist - to

3) God save us all.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 12 (view)

I seem to get into weird / odd situations...
Posted: 7/10/2016 12:51:58 PM

What is your oddball story?

Years ago, I was sitting in my living room watching a movie at about 3am, and I heard "crash-tinkle-tinkle" outside my window, which faced towards my neighbor's driveway. I got up and went to the door, looked around, and saw some guy carrying a stuffed dufflebag come running from the driveway, turn and start running down the street. I looked and saw the the neighbour's car window had been broken, did the math and figured out what had happened.

The street I was on was only a block away from the main drag that connected the Ottawa Police headquarters with the nearest Tim Hortons, so there were always cruisers driving back and forth. So I figured no biggie - I'll follow the guy, wave down the 1st cop car, and do my civic duty. Well, the guy was fully loaded down, and was only small himself - only about 5'5" or so, and skinny to boot, so even shirtless and in bare feet I managed to catch up to him before the end of the block. Since he was such a little guy (I'm 6'2", 220 lbs), I figured what the hell - and I gave him a shove from behind and sent him arse over teakettle onto the ground.

He got up, turned and looked at me, and said "OK, arsehole, now you've pissed me off"! He reached behind his back, pulled out his weapon from the back of his pants, and proceeded to attack me ......... with an 18" wooden salad fork.

Well, I hit him in the side of the head, he went down, and I yelled at the top of my voice, "HELP! POLICE!". He got up again. I hit him again. I yelled again. Nothing. This went on for what seemed like hours, but was probably only 10/15 minutes. But I'm not particularly well-muscled, my feet were sore, I was cold (middle of October), and my arm felt like it was going to fall off.

Eventually, the cops did show up. Why?

Somebody called in a noise complaint.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 104 (view)

Maple Match: Escape from Trump to Canada
Posted: 7/3/2016 6:27:08 PM
@chinook1111:

Last I checked Cape Breton was still part of Nova Scotia,just more backwards.

Yes, I'm aware of that - but saying Cape Breton is part of Nova Scotia is NOT the same as saying that Nova Scotia is part of Cape Breton. The discussion was about Cape Breton specifically, not Nova Scotia. And there are *massive* cultural differences between the two.

Speaking of backwards,several reports of backbreeding going on in the northern tip.

wtf is backbreeding?

Brooming was still a sport in Nova Scotia in the early 70s.....

If you're talking about the game of "broom-a-c..n", I know - I was asked to play a few times while in Halifax in '73 for a Sea Cadet boatswain's course. It was my first introduction to full-on, in-your-face unapologetic racism, and I was absolutely disgusted.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 25 (view)

Istanbul Ataturk airport attack: At least 28 dead and dozens injured
Posted: 7/2/2016 12:11:27 PM
@llove2laughtoo:

You can try to play semantics all you want, if the Istanbul terrorists came from Russia and other former Soviet Republics, they are Russians.

So Texans are Mexicans, Louisianans are French, and Alaskans are Russians? And the rest of you lot are all British?
And to head off the potential rejoinder .....

Oh great! We have our own Russian expert embedded journalist!

I have an Honours degree in Soviet & East European Studies. Any other questions?
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 99 (view)

Maple Match: Escape from Trump to Canada
Posted: 7/2/2016 12:04:07 PM
@00spy, matko:
I really wish the two of you would grow up

@chinook1111:

Surprised that Cape Breton,an island and part of Nova Scotia,would be inviting people to live there.Not much diversity unless you consider a different Scottish name than your own diversity.Not much of a record concerning people with color either.Google Africville.

Last time I checked, Africville was in Halifax/Dartmouth ....... which is not Cape Breton.

@deetristate:

Any suggestions of what to do in Toronto?

Yeah .... leave :)
(Canuck non-Torontians have as low an opinion of Toronto as what non-New Yorkers have of NYC)
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 83 (view)

Donald Trump is a Fraud Thread
Posted: 6/30/2016 10:21:57 PM
@chinook1111:

Maybe Jenner understands more than you do about women's issues.What makes you think you know better?Some left wing rag called him some names?

Caitlin Jenner? Isn't she the girl that said

“The hardest part about being a woman is figuring out what to wear. It’s always that way; I never thought it would come to this. I had really no sense of style. Everyone around me in my family had the sense of style — I learned as much as I possibly could.”

She's an expert on women's issues about as much as I'm an expert on menstruation.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 63 (view)

Cheeto Jesus is a Fraud Thread
Posted: 6/29/2016 12:06:05 PM
@chinook1111:

Sorm 1
Sorm 11
Sorm 111
Some sites say 80s,I recall late 90s.

1995 or '96, from what I know, is when it became LEGAL - not that that means it didn't do that beforehand. Which is besides the point.

I never said they didn't DO it - I said they didn't precede the USA in doing it, and that it wasn't something they were particularly good at. Hell - I did a lot of that stuff myself in the mid/late '70s when I was in the Canadian Navy, and everybody else was at that time, too. It's not exactly a new idea. There's a reason why Julius Caesar had the 'Caesar cipher' named after him - he invented the damned thing, BECAUSE ENEMIES WERE SPYING ON HIS COMMUNICATIONS.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 52 (view)

Cheeto Jesus is a Fraud Thread
Posted: 6/29/2016 3:00:33 AM
@chinook1111:

The Russians have three sectors of electronic surveillance and

As a former operator and analyst, could you please tell me WTF that means?

IIRC,they preceded the Americans in this field.

Ummm ........ no. not by a long shot. And Soviet (KGB/GRU) specialty was HUMINT, of all types and varieties. SIGINT/COMINT has always been their weak point.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 23 (view)

Is it childish to block someone?
Posted: 6/8/2016 6:52:15 PM
In all western democracies, people have a right to speak their mind. What people do NOT have, however, is a right to be listened to.

It doesn't matter why I don't want to speak to somebody. Maybe I don't like their politics. Maybe I think they pick their nose. Maybe they remind me of the bull terrier that bit me when I was 6. DOESN'T MATTER.

Who I do or do not want to talk to can be as arbitrary as I see fit, or can have a thesis worth of logical arguments behind it. DOESN'T MATTER.

What *is* childish, however, is somebody who wines or complains that somebody else doesn't want to talk to them.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 9 (view)

Should the accused be named in rape charges and the accuser remain anonymous?
Posted: 6/8/2016 8:49:13 AM

If voluntarily sleeping around is something of which many of you think a woman should be proud, and if, as many feminists say, rape is an act of control or violence, why should the victim feel ashamed?

Doesn't really matter if the victim should or should not feel shame. The reality is that they often do.

Regarding the original question - as a general rule, I'm against ANY names being released when charges are filed, for ANY crime. Many lives have been ruined - both victim and accused - as soon as the knowledge becomes public, regardless of the veracity of the accusation, or the guilt of the accused. I've found this to be especially true for sexual or abuse cases. Once a name is out there, it's out there - there are no "do-overs".
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 3559 (view)

Trump for President...
Posted: 6/7/2016 6:41:07 PM
Maybe this will help those people arguing about whether or not the Judge in the Trump case should recuse himself .... from the blog Popehat, one of his "law 'splainer" columns where Ken White (yes, he's a lawyer) explains the rules and circumstances under which a Judge will step aside:

https://popehat.com/2016/06/06/lawsplainer-when-must-federal-judges-recuse-themselves-anyway/
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 135 (view)

Grammar, attention seeking, and assertive communication.
Posted: 5/31/2016 6:36:14 PM
@vlad:

I have always stuck to the belief that grammar snobs are so far up their own arses they tickle their tonsils with their tongues.

That would depend on why they are being a "snob". is it because they think they are better/more educated/smarter than you - or is it because they haven''t got a clue WTF you're talking about, and are trying to find out?

I'm Scottish as lots of yous know. We have a distinct dialect.

I'm from Newfoundland. We don't have a distinct dialect - we have HUNDREDS of distinct dialects. Because of the isolation, English in Newfoundland didn't develop the way it did in the rest of the world - and exactly how it is spoken changes literally from one outport to the next. I grew up in the province, and there are people there that *I* need a translator for. Essentially, "Newfie" is archaic English. I've heard it said many times that if Shakespeare were alive today, the only place in the world he'd be understood is in Newfoundland.

Even though my family has been on this side of the pond since the mid 1600s, I'm still technically 1st generation Canadian. Both of my parents were born in Newfoundland before 1949, when what is now a province was a separate country.

Now, to get to the point ....... as it happens, I am fairly well educated, as are my brothers and sisters (10 of us in all). We all speak "proper" english. Except when we get together. When we're in one room, it only takes 10/15 minutes before we stop speaking English and revert to our native "Newfie".

I can guarantee you that if I transcribed a conversation between myself and my siblings as it sounded that there isn't a person in this form who would have even the slightest clue WTF we were talking about.

But what would be the point of THAT? I don't post in here to crow about my heritage, however proud of it I may be. And it would be counter-productive if I used my native "style" for postings here. When I post, it is so my opinion on something can be known by others. If they read my posts, presumably it's because they're interested in my opinion on some level. If I write in a manner that makes it difficult or impossible for them to understand what the hell I'm talking about, then we're BOTH wasting our time - me in the writing, them in the reading.

Yes, vlad, you're Scottish - despite your Romanian name. We know - we get that. It's been made abundantly clear many times. But I would suggest that it is YOU that are being the snob because of your writing style. I'm pretty sure that most people's eyes just glaze over when they see a posting of yours because the know that it's going to be HARD WORK to read and understand what you're trying to say, and much of the time they won't think it's worth the effort. I know that's how I react when I see your posts.

Your pride in your heritage isn't helping you - it's hindering you. I've had private email exchanges with you in the past - I know you can write clearly if you want to. All the time and effort you put into writing in your "native" style isn't helping, and it's counter-productive. The whole point of communication is to COMMUNICATE - and when you go out of your way to make it more difficult for people to understand what you say, you're defeating the whole purpose.

You SHOULD be proud of your heritage. Everybody should. But if you use it as a dildo to beat everybody over the head with, and then call THEM the snobs, you might want to look in the mirror a bit.

Note: In Newfoundland, we still use the term "dildo" with it's original meaning, which does NOT include sexual activity. See if you can find a dictionary anywhere that will give you that archaic definition - you'll need it, and maybe the example will help prove my point. Its use here (intentionally) obfuscates what I'm trying to say, and makes my point harder to follow - which is kinda my point.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 6 (view)

Holocaust survivor denied right to testify at nazi guard trial this week
Posted: 5/18/2016 2:23:04 PM

On Friday, presiding judge Anke Grudda said: ‘No further evidence is needed. The court has no doubts on this aspect.’

In other words, it's not that he wasn't ALLOWED to testify - but that his testimony WASN'T NEEDED.

So where's the problem?
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 9 (view)

My granddaughter's hair
Posted: 4/25/2016 1:37:20 AM
I remember way back when, when I was in high school. I was on the men's basketball team (being the only male over 6'), and there was a girl on the woman's team who had hair down to her knees, when braided. I've never seen hair that long.

Both the men's and woman's teams made it to the provincial championships. I remember the opening game for the women - naturally, we were all there to cheer them on, as they were there to cheer us on during our games.Sherry went up for a jump shot - physics took over - and when she started coming down, her hair continued to go up. It flipped right over her head, and her braid caught on the rim of the net - and Sherry was left there, her feet a few inches from the floor, suspended by her braid. A few of us rushed out to support her while others ran for a ladder and a pair of scissors.

They didn't wind up having to cut her hair - it proved to be relatively easy to unhook it once the ladder arrived - but within days of arriving back home, Sherry cut her hair shoulder-length.

I guess it's obvious now in hindsight, but she looked much, MUCH better with the shorter hair. Her hair was so long and heavy that the weight of it was pulling the skin of her face up towards the back, so she'd always looked a bit weird. (Imagine the worlds most extreme facelift). Without all that hair, her skin was able to relax and she looked much more natural and normal.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 826 (view)

Caitlin Jenning
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:03:47 AM
@onyx49:

All gay men are effeminate and all transgender men are effeminate

Yes ...... because
- Cary Grant (Actor)
- Michael Sam (NFL player)
- Zachary Quinto (Star Trek & Heroes)
- Tim Cook (Apple CEO)
- Matt Bomer ('White Collar')
- Victor Garber (Actor)
- Jason Collins (NBA player)
...... are all sooooooooooooo flaming.

And that's just off the top of my head. Imagine what you could do with some actual research?
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 104 (view)

Will Israel Strike Iran First?
Posted: 4/3/2016 9:01:13 AM
@mungojoe:

This assumption of yours... that "character" determines whether truth is worthy of consideration and respect is exactly the opposite of "truth is truth regardless of who speaks it"

Not quite. Yes, truth is truth - that is inviolate.
However what you're missing is this: the character of the speaker comes into play when evaluating the speaker's opinion - the likelihood that said opinion *is* the truth or not.

Example: An MD does some tests and tells me I'm pregnant (let's pretend for the sake of argument that I'm not much of a man, and rather girly). By virtue of his medical degree, he can be considered to be an expert, and his opinion is very likely to be correct. I'll therefore place a high degree of confidence in his opinion, and rate it as very likely to be correct, or the "truth".

Then I talk to a 10 year old who looks at my belly, points and exclaims, "You're pregnant!". He's a kid, had no knowledge of medicine or biology, and is totally unaware of the amount of money I've spent on beer to get this belly. I'll probably place a very LOW degreee of confidence that his opinion is correct.

So no, the speaker's character (who he/she is, their expertise on the topic, their own biases) does not change the truthfulness of the opinion - but it is basic in determining the LIKELIHOOD of said opinion being the truth.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 1177 (view)

Great Job , isreal
Posted: 3/21/2016 12:29:13 AM
@mungojoe:

"Smart phones" are usually quite efficient... Are you sure you are using it correctly...?

Perhaps an old-fashioned "dumb phone" might be more appropriate to your needs...

As a matter of fact, smart phones are *anything* but efficient. The input methods - even those with physical keyboards - are awkward at best. Not efficient. The screens are too small for anything but the simplest of tasks. Not efficient. Batteries are unable to hold anymore than a days charge if you use it for anything other than the occasional short phone call. Not efficient.

Convenient? Yes, absolutely. Efficient? Not at all.

--- signed, a programmer and techie since the early '80s.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 1111 (view)

Great Job , isreal
Posted: 3/16/2016 12:42:33 AM
Personally, I think the single best thing we could do to help the forums is to start a collection to buy mungo a keyboard with an inoperable "." key ..........
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 997 (view)

Great Job , isreal
Posted: 3/12/2016 3:48:23 PM
@8inscrew:

ochemu tsenzor.
Ni odin iz milah formal' nykh veshchey ne perevodit.

Почему ты пишешь этот по русский? нет никаких оснований для этого, за исключением того, чтобы запутать.

idiot.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 49 (view)

The Legalization of Marijuana
Posted: 3/9/2016 4:33:40 PM
my bad ..... I'll be over here sitting in the corner by myself if anybody wants me .......
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 47 (view)

The Legalization of Marijuana
Posted: 3/9/2016 4:15:16 PM
@Butterchickenchuck:

^^^^^ No you're right, Lohan proves that rehab/counselling doesn't work for ANYONE

No, Lohan proves that rehab/counseling doesn't work for HER.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 55 (view)

should Apple help the feds?
Posted: 3/9/2016 4:00:05 PM

Absolutely, Apple should do exactly what the Government asked them to do...no company should have technology so advanced that it trumps law enforcement.

Apple doesn't have technology that advanced. It's simple math - no more than 1st year university level math is required to implement standard encryption algorithms. And if you're too lazy to do that, there are standard encryption libraries you can download from the 'net, and all you have to do is write the supporting code to tie them together.

As a matter of fact, when you connect to these forums, notice the "https:" at the beginning of the URL; that signifies that it is an encrypted connection .... using the same algorithms and methods Apple (and Google, and everybody else) uses to encrypt the phones that THEY make.

All that being said - there is nothing from stopping the FBI from decrypting the phone in question as is, without Apple's help. It'll be a major pain in the ass, tedious as hell, and take a long time, but it can be done in a couple of ways (at least 2 that I'm personally aware of). The FBI just doesn't want to go through the hassle.

--- Signed, somebody who's been programming these stupid machines professionally since 1982
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 1841 (view)

Trump for President
Posted: 3/5/2016 10:08:01 AM

dayna, I really don't care how the border is secured, it isn't working very well right now. Something does need to change. Hoping you feel better quick!!

Anybody here remember the Cold War? The Berlin Wall - the most heavily fortified, well defended border in history? That was just across a freaking city - and despite the thousands of border guards, dog, mines, barriers and sensors deployed across it, people still managed to cross on an almost daily basis.

And you think ANYBODY is going to be able to totally seal a border 1,989 miles long? Good luck with that.
 notgorshkovagain
Msg: 442 (view)

Europe's Refugee Crisis
Posted: 11/23/2015 2:56:51 PM
@deetristate:

Maleman- Did Univ Ottawa REALLY cancel yoga classes as cultural appropriation? If someone wears a scarf is that cultural appropriation of Islam? I ask this tongue in cheek because that HAS to be a joke, right?

Since Maleman didn't answer, I thought I would, since I was posting anyway. No, it's not a joke - it really did happen. And yes, it's effing ridiculous.
@razors_edge55:

Sorry but if you think CIA and FBI don't polygragh ,,, you are dreaming

I never said they didn't polygraph. I said it doesn't work.

Show ALL Forums