Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: who is the number 1 sporting legend?
 CChauncey
Msg: 478 (view)

who is the number 1 sporting legend?
Posted: 2/12/2010 1:11:28 PM
Mohammed Ali.

But as people get older, it's changing. Probably Jordan at this point, and in a few more years, Tiger Woods...
 CChauncey
Msg: 13 (view)

Penn-Sanchez
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:07:46 PM
Watching the Countdown to UFC show, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind seeing BJ Penn versus GSP part 3. With BJ's talent, it's easy to wonder what if whenever you hear anything new about the way he's training. Come to think of it, wouldn't mind seeing Mir fight Brock again despite getting dominated the same way BJ was by GSP.

BJ, Fedor, and Andersen are the only three people I seriously consider for the p4p. When GSP fights guys in heavier weight classes and beats them, we can talk. Guy's a monster.
 CChauncey
Msg: 6 (view)

POF highly recommends I check out a person's profile...
Posted: 10/24/2009 11:38:17 AM
^ Thanks, Captain Obvious.

What I'm wondering is since they say "Highly Recommended" if they're supposed to be compatible with me, or just how in general those particular profiles are chosen as being "highly recommended" because I see no rhyme or reason to them.
 CChauncey
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 10/22/2009 1:04:58 PM
^ Yes. It only shows up after you send a message. "We strongly recommend you look at the following users." Just starting seeing it a couple of days ago. As for my recommendations, I see no pattern. They are not similar in race, location, height, age, or profession.

I don't think copying the address is going to do anything. It's profile specific. And it's not spam. The thumbnails take you to genuine POF profiles.

No big deal. Wasn't sure if POF was using a new technique to match up people.
 CChauncey
Msg: 3 (view)

Posted: 10/22/2009 12:40:57 AM
Basically, in big letters, it said "We Highly Recommend You Check Out:" And below it a white field and inside of it a single profile. Looked like about 8 or 10 profile thumbnails could have fit inside the field, but there was only one. Below this field/section, was more "Online Now" stuff you see all the time.
 CChauncey
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 10/21/2009 9:34:12 PM
Never seen this before. Just saw it tonight. Said they highly recommend I check out this one -- yes, one -- profile.

Anybody know anything about this? Never saw it before. Not sure what I means.
 CChauncey
Msg: 5 (view)

Wat does this mean??
Posted: 8/20/2009 10:47:38 PM
It means he doesn't really care about the "getting to know each other" part, and once he's answered your questions, he'll more or less consider it to be a formality that's been addressed. Seems like you already know what's going on.
 CChauncey
Msg: 20 (view)

Worst thing you can say after or during sex
Posted: 8/20/2009 10:28:18 PM
This was my first time. I think I love you.
 CChauncey
Msg: 15 (view)

dating etiquette
Posted: 8/18/2009 7:25:48 PM
^ Yeah, fzrhusker, it's weird. This guy has crazy NYC charisma, but he's gotten out of shape. If he lost some weight and bought some decent clothes, he would have a shot with a lot of women just based on his personality. Even now, I see girls look confused and even disturbed as they realize there's something mildly attractive about this fat, balding man from Washington Heights. But instead, he's let himself go, stopped caring, and panics that he's going to die alone. So he lets women get away with murder.
 CChauncey

Should I go out with a girl 16 years younger?
Posted: 8/18/2009 7:19:01 PM
If both of you guys are cool with it, it's a victimless crime. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.
 CChauncey

Has anyone met someone from this site and what happened.
Posted: 8/18/2009 7:15:32 PM
Weird thing is I see girls from this site at random bars. Just saw one on Sunday, another last Thursday. Both times I didn't say anything and I don't plan on messaging them. I don't want there to be any awkwardness since I plan on going back to both places.
 CChauncey
Msg: 27 (view)

When guys get cocky
Posted: 8/18/2009 7:12:32 PM
A sociology professor told me that if a guy is too smooth on the first date, he's no good. But if the guy is kind of shy and awkward, you should give him a second chance. I think it's sort of relevant to this discussion. :)
 CChauncey
Msg: 22 (view)

Hugs: Harmless or Meaningful
Posted: 8/18/2009 7:10:43 PM
Depends on the person. Some people have good hug karma, any time they move in it feels natural and good. Others, it feels weird. I think it depends on the person more than the situation.
 CChauncey
Msg: 17 (view)

F fedor!!! Strikeforce is the biggest joke on the planet.
Posted: 8/18/2009 3:49:47 PM
Of course, I'd like to see Gegard in UFC. The UFC LHW division is stacked. I've said I want to see Gegard in the UFC about 4 or 5 times now. But I also want to see Strikeforce thrive. I want more MMA events. They have potential. We shall see.

Your argument was weak, so you've resorted to the only thing you have left.
You're the STFU, punk, and panties in the wad guy? Dude, you obviously like to flame rather than actually address points, just don't pretend to be an innocent babe in the woods. Be proud of your trollness. And you do come off as a spaz. Just my opinion, and it shouldn't matter what I think about you anyways. I'll just ignore you, how about that?

Scott Coker is very different from the dou che who ran Elite XC, and moving much more meticulously than Afflication. Fighters know and respect him. He's been promoting martial arts for a long time. Again, even Dana respects him. Not that that means a lot. I predict like in tennis, eventually a fighter's union will arise, and I suspect Coker will play a significant role in that.

As for Gegard's salary, M-1 pays him a salary.

Final word, I hope Strikeforce succeeds. Great MMA every weekend? That would be super. There's enough fighters out there to make it happen, just a matter of economic feasibility.
 CChauncey
Msg: 14 (view)

dating etiquette
Posted: 8/18/2009 3:00:00 PM
A friend told me his date exchanged numbers with their waiter right in front of him. It was under the guise of something "harmless," but I can't believe he let her do that. And they dated for a long time. She would always flirt with his friends.

That's about it. If I'm on a date, I would act as if my date is the only girl around even if I know it's not going anywhere.
 CChauncey
Msg: 332 (view)

Dating a Smoker
Posted: 8/18/2009 1:44:39 PM
Playing tennis, saw a ridiculously beautiful girl walking by smoking a cigarette. It was strange to see a girl in her early 20's and thought good looking smoking.
 CChauncey
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 8/18/2009 5:48:18 AM
^ Meh. The apology was to see if you truly misunderstood or are just a spaz. I see you are the latter. No biggie.

Well, the good thing is we don't have to continue discussing this, time will settle this in due time. I predict Strikeforce will stick around a while.
 CChauncey

Are My Guy Friends Idiots? Or Are They Right?
Posted: 8/18/2009 5:25:02 AM

So my question is this - does a girl blowing you off really increase your interest in her???
Groucho Marx once said "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Playing hard to get definitely works. Yeah, it seems stupid, but so much of daily modern life is a "game."
 CChauncey

Jail or rehab?
Posted: 8/17/2009 7:51:44 PM
Fresh Air had an interesting episode about how "unique" US style justice is.

The United States is home to less than five percent of the world's population — and almost a quarter of the world's prisoners. Adam Liptak, national legal correspondent for The New York Times, says that's one of the ways America's legal system differs from those of other countries.

Liptak's recent series for The Times, "American Exception," looks at the ways the American justice system is unique — including high incarceration rates, the awarding of punitive damages, felony murder liability for accomplices and commercial bail bondsmen.

"Americans are locked up for crimes — from writing bad checks to using drugs — that would rarely produce prison sentences in other countries," wrote Liptak in his April 23 article, "Inmate Count in U.S. Dwarfs Other Nations."

Liptak adds that prisoners in the U.S. are incarcerated for a longer time than prisoners elsewhere. The reason for the disparity is a matter of debate, but he writes that "the gap between American justice and that of the rest of the world is enormous and growing."

Liptak earned a law degree from Yale University. He joined The Times' news staff in 2002, contributing legal analysis and coverage of the criminal justice system. He also writes the paper's "Sidebar" column, which provides analysis, explanation and commentary on developments in the legal world.
Listen here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90256903
 CChauncey
Msg: 11 (view)

Are there really fake profiles on here?
Posted: 8/17/2009 7:41:08 PM
I've seen tons of fake profiles on here. It's usually a picture of a model, some famous, along with a profile that says something like "I loved high school... I like all music but only rap..." They're not very subtle. And I think the lack of subtlety is the whole point. Whoever is making the profiles I'm referring to wants indisputable proof that guys on here are horny dolts. Being subtle would place the blame on the perpetrator.
 CChauncey
Msg: 7 (view)

Should you tell someone you're not interested in them or just ignore them?
Posted: 8/17/2009 7:39:02 PM
If my daughter were on here (I don't have a daughter but hypothetically), I would recommend playing it safe. Based on what I've read, seems like a lot of guys get nasty if they don't get the response they want.
 CChauncey
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 8/17/2009 7:30:01 PM
Chadcuba, you have a very interesting way of expressing yourself.

<div class='quote'>You're a complete moron to try and pump this league.As an MMA fan, I hope they succeed so I can watch more fights. Also, I'm a fan of many of their fighters. Lastly, I thought the Gina and Cyborg fight was exciting. Proved to me that female MMA is viable.
 CChauncey
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 8/17/2009 7:28:04 PM
Don't get your panties in a wad. This is a forum, and people are entitled to opinions which don't line up with yours.
Um. I wasn't upset. This is an internet message board, you can project anything into text. But if for some reason it seemed like I was being too hard on you, that wasn't my intention and I apologize.
No one is attacking Strikeforce just to attack Strikeforce. The point is that they are employing a business model which has failed for the other promotions using that model.
They're very different. They're spending money and projecting growth at a sensible, sustainable pace. Also, they're forming great partnerships with Dream and M-1. Another thing they have going for them is that I think fighters realize if they're even going to increase purses, there needs to be competition, and after seeing a few orgs crumble, they will try harder to help Strikeforce succeed. Jay and Fedor both turned down offers from the UFC to fight in Strikeforce. Unless you're a UFC superstar, you're not making a lot of money in UFC, and until there's some competition, that will remain the case.

Yeah, I watched most of their card. Still haven't seen the Heiron fight. I thought the Gina and Cyborg fight was pretty good. Mousasi was super impressive. Some UFC cards suck as well. You never what's going to happen, I don't really judge an organization based on how the night turns out (like I said, some UFC events have left me underwhelmed), I only really care about the matchups they promote.
 CChauncey
Msg: 101 (view)

What motivates you to look for a relationship?
Posted: 8/17/2009 7:18:39 PM

However please don't give up on finding that one special person.
Oh, I'm never giving up. :) I was just wondering out loud if POF was going to be helpful. Lots of great girls in the world, so I'm not really worried.

Congrats on finding the one!
 CChauncey
Msg: 99 (view)

What motivates you to look for a relationship?
Posted: 8/17/2009 5:22:05 PM
I was dating this semi-stereotypical LA girl, gorgeous, fashionable, but not the most interesting thinker. I realized doing stuff with her was almost pointless, it's as if it never happened, because unless it was absolutely spectacular, she didn't seem to have anything to say about anything. I knew she wasn't "the one" anyways, but it just drove home how important it is to be with somebody on the same wavelength.

Some girls, you accidentally see the worst one-woman play ever, and it's an all time great moment, so much to discuss and mock afterwards. Followed by months maybe even years of reciting lines from it. Other girls will just tell you it was stupid, they were bored, and you never get to talk about it again. I want the former. I want to grow older with somebody who has an interesting take on everything we're going to do, everywhere we'll go, everything we eat and drink and watch and listen to.

I think that's why I'm on here. There are so many cute single girls in LA. You meet them everywhere. But I'm looking for somebody really special. Maybe this isn't the place. But it's been fun looking.
 CChauncey
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 8/17/2009 10:15:15 AM
Strikeforce is becoming a joke, because you can't build an international MMA promotion on the backs of one or two fighters.
In addition to Carano and Fedor, they have Ovareem, Mousasi, Babalu, Buentello, Brett Rogers, Robbie Lawler, Scott Smith, Jay Heiron, Cung Le, Ninja Rua, Jake Shields, Joe Riggs, Eddie Alvarez, Josh Thomson, Nick Diaz, and Gilbert Melendez. Their middleweight and lightweight divisions are very strong, and they have a talent exchange agreement with Dream, so you could Aoki, Kawajiri, Cavalcante, and Hansen in the mix, among others.
The collapse of the WFA, BoDog, EliteXC, and Affliction have proven that over and over again.
The UFC once collapsed as well. The problem with the other orgs is that they tried to immediately compete with the UFC by spending way too much money. But Scott Coker has been in the business for a long time, even Dana White respected him (before they landed Fedor that is):“This sport needs more guys like Scott Coker,” White said. “He puts on a good show and I think if you talked to his fighters about him, they’d all have good things to say.”

I don't understand why self proclaimed MMA fans would want Strikeforce to fail. To me, the more the better. UFC only puts on about an event per month, and only televise about 5 or 6 bouts when they do. I could use a lot more than that. And it's good for the fighters. If you sign with the UFC, you can only fight for the UFC. Guy like Brock, who fights about twice a year, he's making a comfortable living, but for other guys, who make $4,000 to $10,000 a fight, that's not good. Not just in terms of not being able to live on $25,000 a year, but as a fighter, in order to develop, it's important to fight.

Anyway, I completely disagree with two of the posters on here, I think Strikeforce is very viable, doing it right, and I hope they thrive. I want to see more high quality fights. You don't like their fighters, don't watch. Wait for UFC events.
 CChauncey

Gina Carano
Posted: 8/16/2009 3:45:25 PM
I agree with Kenpoboy. She lost in a convincing manner, but it was actually a pretty hotly contested fight. I was surprised by how excited I was for the fight to start. I guess female MMA is truly viable.

I was watching highlight videos of a younger Gina. Back then, she was all pumped up, almost spastic compared to now. She looked angry, like an inmate in a female prison ready to kill somebody. I think she may have bought too much into the whole glamour girl thing because nowadays it seems like she's trying to maintain the beauty thing up to the bell. She acted like an animal back then. Fact she's missed weight so many times recently also says something about how she's approaching the fight game.

Anyway, I wasn't surprised by the result. I was actually surprised it was so close. Saw pictures of their weigh in and Gina looked soft. Maybe if she can regain some of her old anger she can win the rematch. I'm sure Strikeforce does not want Cyborg's to be the face of MMA. Even an angry and mean and ugly Gina is better than a smiling Cyborg.
 CChauncey

Gegard Mousasi appreciation thread...
Posted: 8/16/2009 3:38:26 PM

We need to see Mousasi consistently fight the best fighters, whether as a MW or LHW.
He said he can no longer make weight for middleweight. He's says he's not as young as he used to be, he's filled out. He actually looks like he can get even bigger, but he should probably stay at LHW. There's a video online of Gegard and Fedor training together. Looks like they were hosting a seminar together. Fedor's throws and submissions are sick. Gegard said he actually felt like he was "bigger" than Fedor but Fedor had the power of a heavyweight and the quickness of a middleweight.
 CChauncey

Posted: 8/16/2009 3:36:05 PM
Sports is a big business. Fighting in the UFC isn't a decision a fighter gets to make unilaterally. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Mousasi comes to the UFC, though. But even before that time arrives, he has my respect as a fighter. I'm not going to conflate a fighter's ability and integrity with the politics and intrigue surrounding him.

Babalu is a tough opponent, and Mousasi just murdered him. I was expecting a convincing win from Gegard, but that was unexpected.
 CChauncey
Msg: 183 (view)

Strangest compliment you've received lately?
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:46:15 AM
It wasn't recent and I'm not even sure if it was a compliment, but a pinoy girl told me she could tell I didn't grow up around Asian people. I think I know what she means... but I didn't ask for clarification.
 CChauncey

Posted: 8/16/2009 9:43:15 AM
^ I'm an MMA fan. Not a UFC fan. I know talent when I see it. Top 5 LHW.
 CChauncey
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 8/15/2009 10:47:43 PM
First became aware of this guy when he won the Dream middle weight tournament a year ago. He was super impressive, but at the same time, the way he won were so varied and against de Souza, so unexpected, one could almost wonder if he was on some kind of lucky streak.

But he's the real deal. A world class striker with K-1 level skills, he's also submitted a much heavier and stronger Mark Hunt. Now that he's 24, he says he can't make middleweight any more and is moving permanently to light heavyweight.

From what I can tell, he's up there with Machida and Silva. Maybe he's a bit more straight up in his stand up, but he's got great submissions and his GNP as demonstrated tonight, is monsterish.

I'm a big fan. Anybody else?
 CChauncey

Machida vs. Anderson Silva
Posted: 8/15/2009 2:34:43 PM
Are you serious??? The ref didn't stop the fight yet and you are supposed to fight until that happens. Hendo did nothing wrong. This is MMA, not the girlscouts dude!!!
But if you're saying they're in the heat of battle, I agree. It's a fight. They're amped up. Things are going to happen.

Since you missed it the first time, posted it again. It would be a shame to pass up this opportunity to agree on something.
 CChauncey
Msg: 71 (view)

These Are Good......Anti American are encouraged to read.
Posted: 8/15/2009 2:29:07 PM
No you were indoctrinated into pro socialism the government will take of you thinking and maybe not you specifically, but when your constant answer to every argument is the evil corporations this very identifiable with the UC Davis, Berkley, Columbia mindset.
That doesn't exactly refute my assertion.
Very weak argument in the end and the fact that you repeat this argument show the level of your indoctrination.
Why is it a weak argument?
Your assumptions re clearly wrong when it comes to Iran, they are rebelling for a voice and freedom from government tyranny and you are rebelling in favor of a government controlled society.
What kind of government control am I espousing?
You are right about the age thing in the sixties though bu that is a completely different argument.
You're the one who brought up people having different opinions on matters depending on their age.
We are trying to save you from your selves having been there, seen countries fall to this sort of thing.
Which countries?
Most of you don't even remember the cold war when country after country fell to socialism and communism in the same path they are trying to take you down now.
I would hate for us to become Cuba. I think capitalism is good. But I'm not against socializing certain things, like police, fire, military, roads, education, and health care. I would hate for private corporations to start asking "cash or credit" when you called the police, or to get hit with a $40,000 bill a week after the fire department came to stop your house from burning down.
I had a friend that was from Russia during the cold war and she got to come to the states on a student outing. They were followed everywhere by KGB agents and could not do much of anything. We snuck her out one night and all she wanted to do is see a grocery store. When we got to the Safeway she fell on the floor in tears.
Yeah, if you're saying that the Soviet Union sucked, I agree with you.
My point in this is, I suggest you study some history and not just the history that aligns with you view points.
What bad history have I presented to you?
I made a promise to myself that , for every book I read that supports my view I will read one that does not.
What book have you read recently that goes against your beliefs?

I choose history books that are descriptive, not prescriptive. I'm willing to abandon any of my positions if new information compels me to do so. My worldview is not dogma.

Hey, fzrhusker, I believe that you sincerely want what's best for your country. I'm not questioning that. We just disagree on a lot of things, apparently. Damn me for discussing politics on a dating site.
 CChauncey
Msg: 66 (view)

Posted: 8/15/2009 1:57:45 PM
Not sure if its the change in the education(indoctrination) system or what. There will be a changing in the generational guard in the next 20 years and I hope they get all they want and have to live with it. They will have no one left to defend them as less and less will want to, since they seem to just want to throw it away.
I think it's similar to what's happening in Iran, where 65% of the population is under the age of 35, identify strongly with the west, don't remember Ayatollah Khomeini, and are dissatisfied with the rule of the religious minority. We weren't indoctrinated by, for example, anti-socialism propaganda. We didn't grow up with that. So we see socialism differently (although we probably both like socialized fire, police, post office, highways, parks, military, etc.) This is natural. Likewise, in the 60's, I'm sure there was a correlation between age and whether or not you thought black people should be allowed to sit anywhere on the bus.

And really, the people who are throwing it all away are multi-national corporations who put profit over commitment to country.
 CChauncey

Posted: 8/15/2009 1:23:44 PM
^ I think that's Babalu's point, ban fighters for inflicting extraneous punishment. Apply the rules uniformly.

But if you're saying they're in the heat of battle, I agree. It's a fight. They're amped up. Things are going to happen.
 CChauncey
Msg: 15 (view)

but they have great healthcare.....
Posted: 8/15/2009 1:07:48 PM
^ You're chasing windmills. Nobody wants you to live in "that kinda Kafka insanity." And nobody is "causing" you to do anything. You have a free will. You can be as big or small as you choose.
 CChauncey
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 8/15/2009 2:44:17 AM
CC you mean the trade embargo is the reason gays are jailed and Cuban people are willing to jump on inner tubes to cross 90 miles of shark infested waters to get to the USA?

I love boards, one can learn such fascinating explanations for the failures of socialism. Like maybe East Germany v. West Germany, or North Korea v. South Korea, it's the darn trade embargos. Or Hong Kong v. the old China. I could go on but somehow you've become an adult w/o having this stuff stick to you.
We're talking about toilet paper.

I agree, that whatever Cuba is doing, it's not working. So don't you feel bad for the people? I mean, we agree they have no real say in their destiny, no? So we shouldn't take comfort in the fact, if this story is in fact true (I haven't looked into it), that people can't wipe their poopy butts, right? Likewise, when the USA was so pissed at Saddam before they bombed the entire country back into the stone age, the neo-cons talkd about his brutal regime, how he was murdering and raping his own people. This would mean his people were victims. Yet, when civilians died by the thousands, the neo-cons were strangely apathetic.

What I'm saying is yes, the government in place is at fault. But if we think the people are being victimized by an evil system, we're not making it any better by denying them basic goods. Do you understand? I think it's strange that people who proclaim to be on the side of good take glee in the fact people living under illegitimate regimes are suffering. So yes, when children in Iraq were dying from preventable diseases, you could blame Saddam... for being in power and making it so that western powers refused to allow medicine within Iraqi borders.
 CChauncey
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 8/14/2009 2:25:18 PM

the nastiest fight I ever saw 2 regular joes in was a set of brothers.
Those kinds of spontaneous fights between family members who love each other but have also been annoying each for years... that's one thing. But to say, "hey, I'm going to meet you in Vegas in 4 months and we're going to fight for money even though I have no beef with you..." Quite another.

FYI. Mousasi fighting Babalu tomorrow. Babalu makes a great point, why did Henderson not get banned from UFC for that late hit on Bisping? I'd like to see both these guys in the UFC soon to fight the likes of Machida and Silva.
 CChauncey
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 8/14/2009 2:20:51 PM
Also, maybe the trade embargo has something to do with it.
 CChauncey
Msg: 40 (view)

Posted: 8/13/2009 5:11:27 PM
Even people like Ward Churchill, who called the victims of 9/11 "little Eichmanns,"
Not aware of this person, but if he did in fact say this, he's crazy. But it should be about condemning Ward Churchill, not somehow conflating him with others.
and Michael Moore, who's made a fortune from spreading jihadist propaganda?
Like what jihadist propaganda? He's made documentaries drawing attention to labor unions, workers rights, and health care. Those are all positive things and attempts at helping the vast majority of Americans.
Even Mr. Obama, who can't apologize enough to the world--and particularly to its Muslims--for the nation he's supposed to be representing?
US foreign policy in the middle east has been sketchy. Anybody who studies the region will tell you that, but politicians generally won't. You don't become the world's greatest superpower by passing out cupcakes and giving free back rubs. It's never worked that way.

As for Obama, among other emphatically pro-America things, in Europe, he said the following:
"But in Europe, there is an anti-Americanism that is at once casual but can also be insidious. Instead of recognizing the good that America so often does in the world, there have been times where Europeans choose to blame America for much of what's bad." Obama subsequently stated: "On both sides of the Atlantic, these attitudes have become all too common. They are not wise. They do not represent the truth. They threaten to widen the divide across the Atlantic and leave us both more isolated. They fail to acknowledge the fundamental truth that America cannot confront the challenges of this century alone, but that Europe cannot confront them without America."

I've heard too many of these people spew this rubbish too many times.
I would offer to address the "rubbish" on a case by case basis, but I have a feeling you're way too emotional about this. That's fine. But I suspect it would make reasonable discourse difficult.

Most of us love America, how about that? Some of us love it so much we want it to be the best in the world. The country that sets the standard in the world for peace, love, humanity, morality, wisdom, etc.
 CChauncey
Msg: 38 (view)

Posted: 8/13/2009 10:33:29 AM
Loving America is like loving your kid.

Some parents, if their kid acts like a jerk, they'll try to correct them, punish them if they have to, tell them they're dishonoring themselves and their family name. Pat them on the head afterwards. They love their kid.

Some parents, if their kid acts like a jerk, will yell at the people the kid was just a jerk to, threaten to sue or punch them, tell them nobody gets to criticize their little angel. These parents also love their kids.

We all love America. Just in different ways.
 CChauncey

Posted: 8/13/2009 8:04:24 AM
Not to mention Machida versus Silva could be the most boring fight ever. If they consider each other brothers, it would be a complete snooze fest. And forget about chastising them for not wanting to be the best or whatever... Machida wants to be the best, Silva does, too. I don't think it's about the money. But that same personal warrior code would preclude them from wanting to smash their "brothers" face in for a bunch of drunk Vegas d-bags in Affliction shirts.
 CChauncey

Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 8/13/2009 7:42:05 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of his flow/voice either at first, now he and nas are pretty much all i can stand to listen to anymore. i can't wait for bis' new CD...it's gonna be ridiculous.
Not many people have the skills to eat a n$%^$r's a$$ like him. Yeah, he didn't have the smoothest flow, but especially in his battle tracks, his slightly annoying delivery kind of lent itself to the lyrics. He sounded like a petulant kid.

Don't really get the whole Lil Wayne thing. He's often called the hottest MC in music right now. Okay. They said the same thing about Tupac and Biggie, especially Biggie. And I feel like even if you hated rap music, if you heard Biggie, you could tell he was something special. Maybe only Rakim was a greater in-the-pocket rhymer than Biggie, but Biggie could also syncopate, was a better story teller, and his lyrics were more versatile. Anyway, his greatness was obvious. I feel like you play Lil Wayne along side You're a Jerk, or Hallie Berry song, or whatever, and he wouldn't necessarily stand out as being superior.
 CChauncey

Hip Hop vs Rap
Posted: 8/12/2009 4:44:15 PM
Feel like the lines have been blurring steadily. I know conventional answer is hip hop is a lifestyle that includes break dancing, b-boying, graffiti art, dj'ing, Mc'ing, etc. And rap is just that, rapping. But strictly in terms of music, before I could have almost broken it down like hip hop is east coast (to get specific, NYC), and rap is everywhere else.

Besides that, I always though hip hop lyrics were more willfully clever, songs had a sense of humor often times, the samples were dirtier, had scratching, and the loops were a bit more redundant even if more instrumental. In terms of production value, rap seems more polished, like pop music, even if they're talking about dealing drugs and shooting mammals, whereas hip hop tries to maintain an almost improvisational, live feel.

To answer the question, I don't know any more. Some artists I can definitely say they're one or the other. Others, not so sure. Maybe because so many of the younger artists now were so profoundly influenced by both.
 CChauncey
Msg: 151 (view)

Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 8/12/2009 4:28:18 PM

Anderson should have always been fighting at 205. The dude walks around at 220!!!!!
Fighters cut weight for fights. He's not unusual at all. The new trend is fighters losing a TON of water weight in the last few days, and coming into the fight 20 pounds heavier than the day before. If they just had the weigh in an hour before the fight, you would see some radical shifts in divisional rankings and the weight classes that fighters compete in.
 CChauncey

Posted: 8/12/2009 4:19:15 PM
I believe Silva when he says this fight will never happen. But it would be very interesting. So tough to call.

Power: can't tell
Precision: Draw
Speed: Silva
Defense: Machida
Clinch: Machida. Silva would be more effective striker, but Machida would toss Andersen around like a doll.
Submissions: Draw. Both have some impressive submission wins.
Intangibles: Machida. Silva is awesome but he fights more or less in a conventional style, he's just way better and sophisticated than most strikers. Machida's style is different from everybody else's. From the wide base, almost a horseback stance, he really does look like a karate point fighter sometimes. The wide base gives his upper body a wide range of motion, he can evade a lot of blows just by hula hooping around.

Silva says Machida gets the better of him in practice, but in a real fight, who knows. Silva is a straight up killer, and Machida exemplifies the martial arts warrior spirit better than anybody else in MMA. It would be interesting. Personally, much as I'd love to see it, don't care if it never goes down. Like the fact they love each other.

Would like to see Silva fight Couture, though.
 CChauncey
Msg: 31 (view)

One man to blame in UFC-Fedor breakdown
Posted: 8/11/2009 10:13:48 PM

What fighter in UFC gets half of promotional profits??? That's craziness. All in all, Fedor is just another fighter. His big pay days will decrease, because UFC is the big show.
Fighters have made more in other promotions. And he wasn't asking for half the profits. What has been verified more or less is that M-1 wanted to co-promote.
You don't see football players in some rag tag league telling the NFL "I'll come play for you, but I'm gonna need a little extra on the back end".
In the NFL, there are 32 NFL teams, each with their own agenda (desire to win), the player can go to these teams and say he'll play for the highest bidder. This is standard.
A real competitor would want to be where the best is, so that he could prove that he's the best.
Sports is also a big business. And Fedor is a businessman. In business, the objective is to make the best deal possible thinking both long term and short term. The word is Fedor is not only an owner of M-1, but he's also contractually obligated to fight under the M-1 banner for a few more fights. Lets flip this, if Brock wants to prove he's the best, he would want to fight Fedor and Barnett, but even if he wanted to, UFC wouldn't let him fight in Strikeforce.
There are guys I can think of who'd be much more deserving than Fedor, and they end with names like Couture, Lidell, Gracie, Shamrock...why should Fedor get a slice of the pie that they never got, or don't get?
He's the most revered fighter in the world. MMA is bigger than the UFC. Those other fighters aren't in the same league as Fedor.
As far as I'm concerned, until he says "Screw it. Let's do this, 4 fight contract is more than enough to bring the entire heavyweight division to it's knees" then he's just some dude rumored to be the best, but unwilling to prove it.
That's the problem, a lot of people only follow the UFC. They don't realize Fedor is the best HW out there. If the UFC monopolized boxing in the USA and refused to sign Manny Pacquioa, UFC fans would say that Manny is nothing.
 CChauncey
Msg: 54 (view)

Forrest Griffin: UFC Poster Boy or MMA Giant?
Posted: 8/11/2009 9:58:37 PM
I hate to say it, and I really hope it isn't true, but when I watched the fight and later reviewed it, I think Forrest took a dive.
Before anyone accuses me of being a hater, I actually like both fighters.
I've watched it several times, and I thought the opposite, the way Forrest so abruptly dropped like a bag of bricks showed how real it was. He just dropped like a demolished building.

Anderson's punches are deceptively powerful. A lot of guys in the UFC aren't classically trained strikers. Even the hard hitters, they come from grappling backgrounds, and when they try to hit hard, you can SEE the effort. Guys like Machida and Silva (and watch the Seth versus Kimbo fight again), their punches are deceptively powerful. It's why, for example, a trained karate man can break a stack of concrete, but a guy who appears to be bigger and seems to be swinging with the same power and speed can barely break the top layer of a 15 layer stack of concrete. Think Ken Griffey Junior baseball swing. These guys really know how to set off an explosive kinetic chain, focusing their power, using their whole body. It almost looks like they're not trying. What they do looks deceptively easy, but likewise not everybody can trap Rich Franklin in a thai clinch. It's technique.

http://www. youtube. com/ watch?v=D00vjBqHRtI

That last punch was stiff. Forrest ran right into it, and Silva punches very very hard. It was the accumulation of the punches that Forrest sustained earlier, including that straight right he took while lying on his back. Plus, he's not known for his chin. Forrest gets knocked down a lot, and by guys who don't punch nearly as hard as Silva. And I agree with everybody said, the UFC has nothing to gain and everything to lose fixing a fight, ditto for Forrest, who seems like he's got integrity. Can't wait to hear a post match interview with Forrest.
 CChauncey

Should Mythology be completely ignored ?
Posted: 8/10/2009 3:42:37 PM
Are gems of information in these fields ignored by todays acedemia........because they came from "primitives" who believed in Gods?
There are several academic fields based on myths. It's not being ignored by anybody. And science isn't discounting any of it. Likewise, science isn't actively discounting Santa Claus and Space Vampires. They have nothing to do with the other.

I love mythology. I don't see people ignoring it any time soon. People are as obsessed today with myths as they've ever been, and not just in terms of academics. In Demon Haunted World, Carl Sagan compares the incubus stories to modern accounts of alien abductions. Small men coming into your room... being paralyzed by fear... being probed... etc. From scientology to crop circles to alien abductions, myths are being created even today. As for ancient myths, they are valuable to human beings simply as history. It's good for the culture. And the Greek myths are just plain good story telling.

Show ALL Forums