Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: am i doing somthing wrong or is it just me
 Donna7488
Msg: 11 (view)

am i doing somthing wrong or is it just me
Posted: 9/25/2012 9:03:07 PM
First off, go to profile review for some suggestions. With the lack of capital letters and punctuation, along with the grammatical errors, your profile is a little hard to read and understand.

Next, when you sent your messages, do you just say hello, or do you ask the person questions about what they have in their profile or their pictures? For example, if the person is standing in front of a famous landmark, you can ask them if they visit that area often, or if they visited another site in the same area. An example of this would be : " I see you have visited the St. Louis Arch. Did you have a chance to visit the St. Louis Zoo or the Anheuser Busch Brewery while you were there?" Give the person something to talk about with you.
 Donna7488
Msg: 2 (view)

Bisexual son
Posted: 10/17/2011 8:43:01 PM
I agree with you Meechpeach, which is why we haven't been together since then. I have deleted his number from my phone, but he keeps calling and texting, begging for another chance. Some of our mutual friends, both male and female, have told him that he was out of line also. Also, I should have stated that he has been in the position where homosexual guy has made passes at him, one who was a friend of his grandmother. I was wanting to get a male's perspective on the situation, since most females seem to be a lot more open-minded about bisexuality.
 Donna7488
Msg: 1 (view)

Bisexual son
Posted: 10/17/2011 8:22:55 PM
I have been dating the same 37 year old guy for 10 months. He has met my 16 year old son, and has gotten along well with him. My guy has been spending almost every night at my apartment fpr the past 3 months and has even talked about getting a place together.

About a month ago, my son told me that he was bisexual. My son states he hasn't had sex with anyone yet, but he has kissed both guys and girls, and he is currently dating a girl. I am thinking it might just be the normal teenager experimentation, but either way, I am going to keep supporting my son in his choice. I am also going to make sure that home is a safe zone for him, since the world can be rough on bisexual guys.

The issue I am having is that my bf has now decided that he doesn't feel comfortable spending the night at my apartment. He is afraid that my son is going to make a pass at him. I asked him if my son has ever said or did anything that resembled a pass, and he said no. I told him three weeks ago that it was over, and that if he can't accept my son, I can't accept having him in my life. He begged for time to get used to the idea, and told me he didn't want to lose me.

About a week ago, he wanted to get together for the night. I told him that we had things that needed to be talked over, including his feelings about my son, before that could happen. He doesn't think we have anything to talk about. He has called my son a f@ggot to my face, and is generally being a jerk. However, he is still wanting to get a place together. Guys, if you were in his place, would you be acting the same way?
 Donna7488
Msg: 3 (view)

Rhythm of the Night Singles Dance in Urbana-Champaign
Posted: 12/23/2010 12:15:07 PM
I couldn't let this one languish at the bottom of the list! You all can help me celebrate my birthday a little early!
 Donna7488
Msg: 8 (view)

New Date for the Ryhthm of the Night dance in Rantoul at the PinOaks Sat. 8th of January
Posted: 12/14/2010 4:50:07 PM
Now I am on the new one!
 Donna7488
Msg: 6 (view)

Bad Timing? or not interested? should I bother to ask again?
Posted: 12/3/2010 9:14:53 PM
If you like her, ask her again. I would suggest asking a week or more in advance. If she says she is busy, ask her when would be a good time for her. Either she will suggest a day ( which means she is interested) or she will say she doesn't know.

If you get the second response, she still might be interested, but it might be best to tell her to call you. Say something like, I know you are very busy, so call me to let me know when you want to get together. If she doesn't call, then you have your answer.
 Donna7488

creepy or cool.....?
Posted: 12/3/2010 9:03:43 PM
I have to go with creepy! Just like the guy who starts talking about how perfect our married life would be our first date!
 Donna7488

Does Springfield, IL want their POF parties back?
Posted: 12/3/2010 5:57:51 PM
I might be able to make it to one if they were on a Saturday. The rest of my week is pretty busy with work and school.
 Donna7488

Why don't you go to POF Social Mixer Events?
Posted: 12/3/2010 5:46:59 PM
I didn't have reliable transportation before. Now I do, and all of the events within an hour seem to be held on weekdays or Fridays. I work a lot of Saturday mornings, so Friday nights don't really work for me. And with my evening classes, other weekdays are bad as well.
 Donna7488
Msg: 30 (view)

December 3rd, 2010 Rhythms of the Night Singles Dance... Rantoul, IL (Central Illinois Singles)
Posted: 12/3/2010 5:17:48 PM
I was hoping to come, but the weather is not going to allow it. My car is sliding in town, so I am not going to try the country roads.
 Donna7488
Msg: 12 (view)

December 3rd, 2010 Rhythms of the Night Singles Dance... Rantoul, IL (Central Illinois Singles)
Posted: 11/27/2010 9:55:02 PM
I am hoping to make it! If work or school doesn't get me busy.
 Donna7488

Singles get together at Jim's Steak House in Bloomington, IL. Nov 19th
Posted: 10/24/2009 7:51:22 PM
If only it wasn't on a school night. After working all day and spending two nights in class, I can't justify spending more time away from my son during the week. Maybe we can get something going in the Bloomington area on a Saturday night soon.
Donna
 Donna7488

Goal-Oriented, Is it that Important to you?
Posted: 10/10/2009 5:16:06 AM
I personally feel that people should have some kind of goals in their lives. Of course, it probably depends on what you define as goals. In my opinion, a goal is something you want that you are willing to work to get. There are people who aren't goal oriented, but unless they are lucky enough to be rich, many are struggling to survive. Most jobs do not pay well unless you are goal-oriented enough to work your way up the ladder.

Some of my goals: find a guy to spend the rest of my life with, buy a house, finish college, and be able to retire at age 65. All of these require work and planning on my part, so they are goals.

I disagree with the quote because I do not believe that seeking balance in life and being goal oriented are mutually exclusive. If you work towards having a balanced life, you are working towards a goal.
 Donna7488
Msg: 1 (view)

Mushrush Event Photos
Posted: 9/13/2009 6:43:57 AM
If anyone has pictures taken at the Peoria event last night that they would like to share, we can get them uploaded here! I would love to see pictures of what I missed! I am not sure exactly how the uploading occurs, but I am willing to learn!

And I have given Scott (PeoriaPilot4U) access to upload too. I think you would have to send it to one of us to get it uploaded.
 Donna7488

About to jump out of the sea...
Posted: 9/12/2009 6:50:29 PM
Many people on here will not take the time to read through something formatted like you have it. It would be easier to read if you broke it up into paragraphs. And like Irish Eyez suggested, run it through a spelling and grammar check.

I would do one paragraph about your family and heritage, one about your music interests including playing rock band, one about your outdoors interests, and one about what kind of characteristics you have and are looking for in a man.

The other interests you have listed can be expanded out into paragraphs as well. Try to keep each paragraph down to 3-5 sentences. If you decide to take this advice and want us to look at it again afterward, just post a message saying it was updated.
Donna
 Donna7488
Msg: 4 (view)

Room for improvement
Posted: 9/12/2009 6:31:57 PM
For the most part, I think this is very well written. However your profile might lead a lady who doesn't have the scientific background to think you would not be interested in her. I might suggest adding to the line where you state you would be impressed by someone who can understand when you are talking science, that it isn't necessary for the lady to be a science whiz. Of course, that is just a suggestion!
 Donna7488

Too much insight/too many words?
Posted: 9/12/2009 6:24:41 PM
Okay, my first suggestion for you would be to get a close up smiling pic for your main profile picture. Another suggestion would to be careful using the word branding without an explanation. Unless you are actually talking about branding your body, like some people do. I believe that you mean the process of getting a corporate brand image established. Also, you might want to explain some of your work in terms that are not slang for that particular field for the non-tech fishies. Some of us do not know what printing collateral or rocking a website involves. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions at the moment.
 Donna7488
Msg: 7 (view)

Is there something wrong with my profile?
Posted: 9/12/2009 6:12:48 PM
I think it looks a lot better, but I am going to make one more suggestion. I would consider changing your main profile pic to either the one of you on the hill or the usher pic. The current one is a bit dark. Of course, that is just a suggestion.
 Donna7488

Is there something wrong with my profile?
Posted: 9/12/2009 2:03:29 PM

So lets see, what can I say about me? Well I just recently completed my BSc at UNBC and am currently working as a technician for a well established construction company. Now that I am done with my degree I want to start living outside the textbooks.

I'd love to do some traveling and see the world. I'm a first generation Canadian and I am very proud of my Croatian heritage. So its a given that Croatia is first on my list of places to see. Oh and yes, I'm still a fan of the Croatian national soccer team, even after that game against Turkey lol.

Well I guess I've explained what I am, now for who I am. I'm initially a shy, reserved guy that enjoys having fun and joking around. So I'm looking for somebody that has a sense of humour and by that I mean I am looking for somebody who finds me funny lol. My biggest pet peeve is somebody who likes to throw around jokes but expects that they don't have to take any.

I love my family and would like to find somebody who has strong family values. My family has their own way of expressing love for one another. We like to throw insults and burns. Its like a competition, we never take them seriously and its all in good fun. This is yet another reason why a sense of humour is important.

Lets see, what else is there about me? I'm a bit of an artist, I enjoy drawing and sketching. I mainly stick to charcoal drawings of the wildlife we see around BC but I've done many things from painting a mural on a wall for a friend's son to even designing a tattoo for another friend( don't have any tattoos but I've designed one for myself if I decide to get one lol ). Its just a hobby though, I don't take it too seriously.

Actually I'm currently playing around with the idea of learning Computer Animation because I am a bit of a movie buff and I think it would be cool to combine my hobby with work. Oh yeah I should mention I enjoy watching movies, they are a great way to get your mind off things for a little while

Okay, I have pulled a couple of things out of both of your profiles, and another things I would add for those of us who aren't sure, is what is a BSc? I am thinking is is a Bachelor's in Science, but I am not totally sure. Also, I would probably add something about what kind of movies you like watching. Are you a die hard King fan? Or do you prefer Jim Carrey's comedies?

I hope this gives you a little feedback, and I hope we get some other people chiming in.
Donna
 Donna7488
Msg: 25 (view)

Peoria, IL - Sept. 12 at Mushrush's
Posted: 9/12/2009 1:03:04 PM
Hello everyone! It looks like I will not be able to join you all after all tonight except in spirit. I know you all will have a fantastic time. Cheers to all the birthday people! Drink one for me!
 Donna7488

must not be
Posted: 9/11/2009 6:30:46 PM
The "must not"s are simply that individual's way of stating what they don't want in a relationship. I always try to respond to all emails that come my way, and I do let people know if I am not interested in talking to them.

Normally, my profile has restrictions, but since I am co-hosting a party, I had to remove the restrictions. The restrictions are simply there so I don't waste the other person's time. I don't do long distance relationships any more. I don't hang with people who do drugs. I do try to treat everyone I contact with respect and courtesy, and I want the same in return.
 Donna7488
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 9/11/2009 3:45:44 AM
Hello everyone! I am having some transportation issues here. Is there anyone coming from Bloomington Normal that I could catch a ride with? If so, just send me a message, and I will touch base with you as soon as I get it! Thanks!
Donna
 Donna7488
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 9/9/2009 5:10:23 PM
Good evening everyone! I see the numbers of attendees are still growing!
The time is drawing near for the fun to start!
 Donna7488
Msg: 20 (view)

Posted: 9/5/2009 10:25:45 PM
Hello Ann Dolly! I think I can bring myself to help you to take your catch off the hook. As long as I get to check it out before you throw it back!
 Donna7488
Msg: 19 (view)

Posted: 9/3/2009 7:35:18 PM
All right. The buffet is free! A Cosmos is an alcoholic drink for anyone who is interested. I am not sure what is in them though.

PS Feel free to fish! The lure to use depends on what you want to catch!
 Donna7488
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 9/2/2009 4:13:10 AM
We are getting close now! I can hardly wait!
Donna
 Donna7488

POF CHICAGO
Posted: 8/29/2009 5:31:59 AM
Hello! Just a little heads up, not too many people read the Illinois specific forums. If I was you, I would just post something in the events forum and go for it. After all, there are a lot of POFers in the Chicago area. Good luck!
 Donna7488
Msg: 17 (view)

Posted: 8/29/2009 5:24:28 AM
Hello Zoe! Thank you for offering to help out at the table. I have put you down for the 8:00-8:45 slot.

Ann Dolly, I put you down for the 7:15-8:00 pm slot. If that doesn't work for you, just let me know.

Donna
 Donna7488
Msg: 20 (view)

Bloomington Singles Night Aug 27
Posted: 8/27/2009 4:59:19 PM
I wish I could have made it, but family commitments kept me away.
 Donna7488

Central Illinois Singles Group
Posted: 8/27/2009 3:19:13 AM
Sounds like a fun group! I wish I could stop by when you are at Windjammers, but it is tough for me to get out on a week night.
 Donna7488
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 8/27/2009 3:16:25 AM
Thank you! But don't forget to thank Scott for his hard work too! He is the one who made all the arrangements with Mushrush's!
 Donna7488

Question..can someone help?
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:57:04 PM
First of all, I would suggest dumping your cookies. I would also suggest going into your internet options and change the settings so it doesn't cache the webpage.
 Donna7488
Msg: 14 (view)

Posted: 8/23/2009 6:23:06 PM
Sure, we can count belated birthdays too! The more the merrier, right?
 Donna7488
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 8/20/2009 7:18:17 PM
I would love to see us do this on a regular basis! And we will be letting people know when we do another one!
 Donna7488

Posted: 8/20/2009 4:29:21 PM
Thank you Ann Dolly! I will let you know where we can use you! Of course, if you have a preference, just give me a heads up!
 Donna7488
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 8/19/2009 6:20:24 PM
Welcome everyone! I am excited to see how many people have expressed an interest so far. And there are quite a few birthday people we have coming! I am looking forward to meeting everyone there!

Donna
 Donna7488
Msg: 9 (view)

Posted: 8/18/2009 6:36:14 PM
I hope you can make it! We will keep an eye out for you!
 Donna7488

Posted: 8/18/2009 4:31:43 PM
So there is a birthday the day of, the next day, three days after, and a week after? Definitely going to be a great party!
 Donna7488

Posted: 8/17/2009 4:23:51 AM
We would love to help you celebrate your birthday too!
 Donna7488
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 8/15/2009 9:33:02 AM
I think we will have to get a birthday cake there, and help you celebrate in style!
 Donna7488
Msg: 25 (view)

What do you miss
Posted: 8/15/2009 4:43:38 AM
I miss having someone to talk about our days with. Having someone to hug, kiss, and touch. That feeling of being on top of the world, because he thinks I am special.
 Donna7488

Posted: 8/15/2009 4:15:47 AM
Hmm, 3 days before your b-day? We would love to see you there!
 Donna7488

Posted: 8/12/2009 3:36:28 PM
I am happy to see we are starting to get some people signing up! I think we are going to have a very good turnout!
 Donna7488

Please Review My Prolfile
Posted: 8/10/2009 4:01:11 PM

most chicks don't ****in hunt

While a lot of ladies do not hunt, in certain areas, quite a few do. I personally know 5 female hunters, and about 25 fisherwomen. So while the majority of ladies might be turned off by the hunting and fishing, if having his lady do those things with him is important, then I think he should have kept it in his profile.

Of course, after the changes he made to his profile, I am not sure if he is on here anymore.
 Donna7488

What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 8/9/2009 7:46:59 PM
A couple more pics would be nice, especially a close up smiling one. Also, tell us about your dream girl. What do you want her to be like?

As you add more information into your profile, put some white space around what would be the paragraphs. That makes it easier to read. While what you have said gives us some information about you, it doesn't really tell us what makes you special, or what you are passionate about.
 Donna7488

New pic!
Posted: 8/9/2009 7:41:11 PM
Judging by what has been said on other threads, most people seem to prefer to see some full body shots.
 Donna7488
Msg: 10 (view)

I need some help :) Mind looking over my stuff and telling whats busted?
Posted: 8/9/2009 7:32:19 PM
One quick comment on the new improved profile. It is spelled mantra.
 Donna7488
Msg: 7 (view)

Please give suggestions on how to improve my profile.
Posted: 8/9/2009 7:29:15 PM
Aww, you aren't bad at this, just inexperienced! Give it some time. I think your profile is looking a lot better now!
 Donna7488

Please give suggestions on how to improve my profile.
Posted: 8/9/2009 4:25:07 PM
First of all, try to get a recent smiling picture as soon as possible. Next, I would suggest a spelling and grammar check. Sorry, those are the first two things I suggest to everyone!

Now, it is usually best to say everything in a positive manner. So, first, I would rewrite that first sentence and take out the part about not thinking this site is going to work. The other major change I would make is to get rid of the dislikes list. If you can work it into a paragraph in a positive manner, that would be fine. Of course, I am sure others will be coming along soon.
 Donna7488

Please Review My Prolfile
Posted: 8/9/2009 3:57:56 PM
After reading your profile, I have a feeling a lot of that was said tongue in cheek. My problem is I couldn't tell for sure what I should be taking seriously or not! Unfortunately, the tone of voice that helps to indicate a joke doesn't come across well in print.

Show ALL Forums