Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: What are some of the most annoying terms to be used ?
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 41 (view)

What are some of the most annoying terms to be used ?
Posted: 1/23/2009 12:26:34 AM
Hahaha...Dante's always good for a giggle!

Kiss My Karma - Hey! I had a date with him! lmao

I'm going to go read my profile now...I probably have half a dozen of these quirky lines in mine! ugh!

(could POF get rid of the christmas emoticons now? I see the stores are displaying Valentine stuff now! sigh)
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 49 (view)

The ability to correct spelling in other's profiles!
Posted: 11/10/2008 9:20:50 AM
I'm responding because I'm bored too.

Do you know how frustrating it is for a proofreader by profession? Wow, I go insane. But I don't judge. I think to myself "Boy, could they have used a spell check program!" lol

School system? In my opinion, it IS apathy. I had children in school when the education know-it-alls thought it best to have small children spell as they thought best. I was instructed not to correct it. Children were meant to be "free and not bound by rules of spelling". I was told that all the wrong spelling would be corrected in due course in a couple of years. Gimme a break!

Well stated Raider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 10 (view)

Vacations for Singles?
Posted: 9/29/2008 8:50:34 PM
Wow, thank you to all who have posted! I knew I could count on my fellow POF'ers for wonderful advice!

So far, Cuba IS getting my vote. However, it's funny 'cuz just the other day I was looking at Tunisia. Someplace really exotic!

And...I just realized I don't have a passport yet. Yikes! Better get on that tomorrow!

Deb? Is that you I see in there? I don't think I could miss those "eyes".

Thanks Firmbear on the security hints! I think I'll keep my drunkenness to my own room.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 6 (view)

Finding someone who likes/loves you for you?
Posted: 9/26/2008 7:56:42 AM
OP.,..May I suggest a book for you to read? The publisher is Oasis House and the author is Bob Sorge, and the title (paraphrased) is Dealing with the Rejection and Praise of Man. "Man" here is used in the general context..(ie mankind etc). It can just as easily have said "Woman".
From the book: We suffer rejection when we look for someone's acceptance, but don't get it. Please re-read that statement carefully. Rejection is the result of looking for acceptance from man, but not finding it. When we long for man's acceptance, we are setting ourselves up for rejection because other people can be sinful and imperfect in their responses to us. When I yearn for your acceptance, I open myself to your rejection. And : If man's acceptance will build you up, man's rejection will devastate you.

mho of course. I hope this helps to put some "stuff" into perspective, good luck.

Pinky
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 5 (view)

Vacations for Singles?
Posted: 9/25/2008 1:52:00 PM
Hey Sharon? Cuba seems to be the place I keep thinking about. So many of my clients used to tell me it's the best place to go. Especially if I find a nice Cuban guide to show me the off-the-tourist-path places to go!!! Leanne you're always hilarious and I'm right with you doll....my last vacation was to a cottage, just me and my kids and that had to be over 10 years ago! Now I'm talking adult time!!!! Thanks Bear and others for your advice! I was looking for a thread on this...but one can only search sooooo long! I have a very nice travel voucher and going single, I may end up at several destinations! Hmmm, maybe a cruise? I'd love to try snorkeling, marlin fishing and maybe some scuba.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 1 (view)

Vacations for Singles?
Posted: 9/24/2008 11:16:20 AM
Okay folks! Please throw in your humble, experienced opinions! I need - really need (I can't emphasize "need" enough here, lol) a great vacation! But you know how it is, when you're on vacation, single, and everywhere around you are couples? Probably a lot of them on honeymoon or anniversaries and they're together and having a splendid romantic time and it makes you wonder why you're there alone - or God forbid, with your mother, lmao? Okay, I've described the scenario. Now the question is: Are there any good vacation spots or fun-filled packages for singles? You've been on one? Where did you go, what did they offer and why would you recommend it? Or maybe you haven't gone yet, but heard it's wonderful? I want to know! Thanks in advance, I know I can count on this great forum of people! P.S. Maybe I should add that I don't like the cold.
Pinky
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 64 (view)

is it harder to find love at our age?
Posted: 8/5/2008 11:46:04 PM
yes. enuff said.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 23 (view)

What grabs your attention? What makes you stop reading
Posted: 8/5/2008 11:30:18 PM
I wish more men would show their arms. lol. seriously. It's the first thing I notice on a man.
I wish men would post close ups. Not side shots or way off in the distance, or with a party of other people. Arms please! More arms!
Then the location, then the "looking for". Then the drinking...but I guess "social" is a matter of opinion lol.

Bad spelling makes me move on...or saying nothing at all.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 290 (view)

Do men like it when women contact them first?
Posted: 8/5/2008 11:04:18 PM
I state right in my profile "that I will respond to all email, 'even though it might not be as timely as they or I would prefer' but I will respond. And I do.
But a little digression would be appreciated as lily posed two posts ago. what happens when the response really says nothing. Or even when you get a first contact msg that really says nothing. I'm serious. Some msgs I receive, I have absolutely no idea what the sender is expecting back as a response. No questions were asked. Really ambiguous. What say now all thee wise people?
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 136 (view)

Most annoying commercials
Posted: 8/5/2008 10:47:32 PM
I thought of another one. I think if I see one more Eharmony commercial I'll throw something at the set...lmao. That very cute couple who found each other in less than a month. Don't get me wrong...they're adorable. But don't you think they're just really good actors and not the "real" deal?
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 131 (view)

Most annoying commercials
Posted: 8/2/2008 5:21:43 PM
THE CAT FOOD COMMERCIAL WHERE THE MAN IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE CAT!!!
STICKING HIS HEAD OUT OF THE LITTER BOX?!?!?!?!? See, their marketing doesn't work, their darn commercials are so crappy I refuse to remember product name. And if I did, and owned a cat, I still wouldn't buy from them cuz they are mocking our intelligence! Arrrrggggghhhhhh! lmao at self.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 22 (view)

Relationship age and libidos
Posted: 8/2/2008 2:09:49 PM
Exactly my point to Excalibur gpsweetheart. But you obviously missed it. And then you just further emphasized my point in your last sentence.

So I'll spell it out for you. Excalibur was saying the "wives" of over 40. My point was there are a helluva lot of beer guts on "men" over 40. But go ahead and keep using this thread as a self-serving benefit to promote self and be man's best friend. lol
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 21 (view)

Best/Worst message
Posted: 8/2/2008 1:57:38 PM
Edit note re my previous note: Sorry I misinformed. The worst guy description wasn't "honest" and caring. It was "friendly" and caring. Still a joke
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 18 (view)

Best/Worst message
Posted: 8/1/2008 11:30:19 PM
I get a lot of messages complimenting me on my eyes (and I appreciate the compliment!)

The worst was tonite by an IM whose profile name indicated he was honest and caring. He opened with the same type of compliment - I had beautiful eyes. I replied with a thank you and said with no picture of himself attached to the note, I couldn't comment on his. Seconds later, I have a live video on my screen of him holding his penis. Wasn't quite the eye I had in mind. And it's too bad he felt he had something going for him. What a joke. Where do these people come from? I know I'm not using that type of lure.
 foreverpinky48

Relationship age and libidos
Posted: 8/1/2008 10:58:28 PM
Good, honest thread OP!

TheStefano said it best I think (his first post). And men...take note of V4Vivacious' note, accept the reality. What would you do when it WAS functioning and you had to plead? Most, I would guess, would be having extra-marital affairs.

Our forum nurse also said it well, Diabetes DOES plays havoc. The little blue pills often won't help at all.

And to whoever posted about why women don't just list "Intimate Encounters", I think the general consensus of women on POF would understand this category being simply that, SEX. And sex only. Forget the dating, forget romance or the intimacy of a "relationship". Hence the word "Encounter".

All of this is simply my humble opinion of course!

Again, interesting thread.

Oh! And Excalibur19? "after seeing their wives" ????!!!!! you've got to be kidding.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 28 (view)

Why Is It That Men Wait for Women to Make the First Contact?
Posted: 7/19/2008 11:09:36 PM
This thread is a month old now, so some of the original posters might not even be reading it anymore. However, I'll pose my question anyway. From what I've read, the common distraction is the "read/deleted" issue. Here's the question: What is it you're saying in your intro message? Is it an open-ended question that clearly ends in a question mark that assumes an answer? Is it simply a closed statement like. .."Liked your profile."

Within your profile, have you been fairly open in giving out some details about your interests? Or, is it blank or just says "lots of things".

In my humble opinion, and from my experience, a) I have always at least responded, but b) when I get a closed ended statement that really says nothing to indicate the guy has read my profile...or better yet, it's definitely clear he HASN'T read it...I can only imagine, that many men and women wouldn't even bother to reply! Many of these notes sound like they were sent out to 20 different women...like a form letter. Who wants to think that they are one of 20 who received the same MEMO?!?!?

On another issue that was talked about frequently: Fav lists. Here's my theory. I get a letter from POF stating my matches are listed. I quick go into that screen, (but I might not have time to send a "Hi, would love to get to know you"), or I've noticed that they have VIEWED me several, several times....then I might just quickly add them to my FAVS list so I can remember their nicname to write to them later. Unless of course, they are on 30+ fav lists. Then I won't bother. If someone has me on their FAV list for 2+ months and has never contacted me...I delete my profile from their list.
Pinky p.s. If you're fishing at a pond all afternoon, and only get a couple nibbles, you're still better off than the worm!!!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 49 (view)

Red heads...
Posted: 9/12/2007 8:47:17 PM
I'm a redhead. Was almost carrot top when I was younger and the freckles ran together to give me a tan. (both irish and scottish heritage waaaayyyy back). Brutal being a redheaded girl. One fav rhyme everyone chanted was "Red red pee'd the bed, 5 cents a cabbage head"....and then re the freckles...."Did someone thrown dog poop through the screen door at you?!)

As I aged and had babies, my hair went darker...but still red. I'd be rich if I had a dollar for everytime a guy would ask "Are you a true redhead"...so I think that's where the excitement comes in...the fact that the pubes are red! go figure.

Now my daughter has a beautiful head of shiny red hair (which she dyes all colours of the rainbow) but it irks me when they ask her where she gets her red hair from and I'm standing right beside her. I almost got fired a couple of years ago for having an unnatural shade of hair...can you imagine? From a very large Canadian Food Chain.

One last thought...fiery temper or feisty? Probably the scottish/irish thingy happening and not really the colour of hair.
imho
Pinky
 foreverpinky48

Checking out the new
Posted: 7/29/2007 9:56:06 PM
What changes? lol. I haven't noticed a thing. The only thing I have noticed (but it doesn't seem to be layout etc as to what you're discussing) is when you go to the "check out who viewed you" page. Apparently the first 10 are very recent, then the following page below is who viewed you as to when they last logged on. So, you view it, you see someone on the page, and your heart goes "aflutter" lol, you leave that page and go somewhere else (maybe even to check their profile), and come back to that page of "who viewed you" and that person isn't anywhere to be found. Now, someone please enlighten me on what's happening there!
Edit: ok, I understand from the link mentioned here that some people have "wrapping issues". fortunately, I have a large screen so I don't have that problem. I would still like to understand where the person disappears to on the "viewed me" page?
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 5 (view)

~ Classmates ~
Posted: 7/29/2007 9:47:19 PM
Nedly - is that the genie ad on here you're referring to? I was so p'o'd the other nite, when I clicked on it. What was worse, was when I went to close the darn thing..it booted me right out of pof. I don't think the admin would like that too much...hopefully, they'll get rid of it soon. I'm surprised more pof'ers aren't screaming about it yet!!!!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 188 (view)

Why dont women like long haired guys.....or are there any??
Posted: 7/29/2007 3:11:52 PM
As long as it's clean and not pulled over and up the side of their head to cover the bald spot, I don't mind it at all! lmao However, I fancy bald...actually the best is about 1/16"...yum.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 4 (view)

If you had a choice, Jeep Rubicon or TJ Saraha?
Posted: 7/29/2007 3:08:05 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input! It's much appreciated! Any of the Sahara's I've been looking at (if they are used ones) are 2004. I don't want new. Budget is for "used". They've all been $20 grand.
Then along comes my neighbour with his Rubicon - 2004 - all bramd new electrical system in it (he went too deep in a river), new stereo and the power tow chain on the front is new as well, his price is $20 grand as well. He was pointing out all the features the Sahara doesn't have...which started to impress the hell out of me....which then started me thinking...
Thanks again for your input and suggestions!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 16 (view)

Just a question about instant messaging!
Posted: 7/28/2007 8:49:13 PM
ok, here's a question to add to this. If you hear it clicking in the background, like it wants to open, is that someone trying to IM you. I get it all the time and wonder what the heck it is. Then I thought maybe it IS someone trying but not be able to connect because I have the restriction, "Cannot contact if user has intimate encounter...yadda yadda " ...lol or something like that. Is that what's happening?
Cheers! Pinky P.S. I totally agree with 2Tall!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 1 (view)

If you had a choice, Jeep Rubicon or TJ Saraha?
Posted: 7/28/2007 8:35:12 PM
Hi forum pals. Anyone have a strong opinion either way 'bout either of these Jeeps. I'm looking at both right now. Same year (2004), very close in price, and kms. I understand the Rubicon may be a bit better than the TJ for off-roading but I really don't know how much of that I'll be doing, although I understand there's a great off-roading club in the London area. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks gang!
Pinky
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 18 (view)

Coincidences: Would they bother you or NOT?
Posted: 5/5/2007 6:43:54 PM
LMAO @ NotSantos re towel folding....
BEcutie....i think you would enjoy reading the Celestine Prophecy, and your friend might be less concerned if he read it too. If nothing else, once you read it, you'll have another great topic for discussion.
(still giggling at notsantos)

jmho pinky
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 45 (view)

Do You believe?
Posted: 3/5/2007 6:49:19 PM
STILL ROFLMAO. KUDOS TO T-GURL!!!!!!!!!!

i absolutely stayed away from this one. Like most others, I couldn't grasp the concept behind the question. But T-gurl....I thank you for the clairifation, by jove I think you got it!

I enjoyed reading everyone's response and imagined all the shaking heads....still giggling!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 16 (view)

Question for the ladies....
Posted: 3/4/2007 12:32:38 AM
It's everyday in the little things that are so special. So many little things...like....

not complaining when I snore
gently taking my glasses off my forehead when I've fallen asleep with them on
pulling me close in bed when he knows i'm frozen
making me a tea when I get home from work
listening to ....and acting on...differences of opinion
telling me he loves me everyday
when he wakes up ****y cuz I fell asleep on the couch and not in his arms in our bed
thinking I'm beautiful
washing the salon towels for me when I forget (a nightly ritual) (not me forgetting ... the towels are done nightly...but I'm sure he must think I forget about them more than my fair share)
keeping his beard shorn short
asking me to marry him
loving our crazy household with all its drop in teenage visitors and parties
loving my 3 dogs
holding my lizards after their bath (i'm sure it's not his fav thing to do!)
holding my head and rubbing my back when my head is in the toilet .... now that's love! (and it was a first date! ... and the only time it's happened since btw)
getting up at 5:00 a.m to drive my son to work so I can sleep an extra hour or two
letting me "back-seat" drive

and so much, much more!

wow. i've got a keeper. and i love him tundras. xo jeep!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 182 (view)

Tattoos
Posted: 3/4/2007 12:18:27 AM
We just booked a tattoo shop for 9 hours! Gonna be a blast. Family day at the tattoo parlour! Noon til 9 at night. Pizza, a box of beer. We're all looking forward to it! It will be my 3rd and everybody else's first tat.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 288 (view)

Where did you go to high school?
Posted: 3/4/2007 12:14:42 AM
Sir Adam Beck Collegiate Institute. London, Ontario. Home of the Beck Spartans!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 36 (view)

black or white
Posted: 1/6/2007 4:43:54 PM
geb -not sure why you've quoted me but perhaps you're looking for more clarification on my part where i thought i was pretty succinct.

what you've quoted was prefaced by my stating...years of therapy has brought me to this conclusion. and i was agreeing with the previous poster of relationships and grey areas.

i don't think anywhere in my post was i "being judgemental". strictly based on my experiences that's all.

and your 2 cents worth is just as worthwhile reading.

sepia..now there's a colour. let's try sepia!

pinky
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 31 (view)

black or white
Posted: 1/6/2007 8:24:19 AM
Good question..with lots of avenues to go through.

I like black and white. I learned through years of therapy (lol) that black and white is best. I think Maxhal said it best so far. Grey is scary. Especially when a loved one or someone close to you is concerned.

I can live with black, white and grey. UFO's...quantum theory...all grey..and i love it.

I think when the "grey" area becomes problematic is in relationships. Especially when one person is "sitting on a fence" as a poster stated previously. Is this fair? Absolutely not. Can it be overcome...absolutely. Get off the fence or move on! Get to the heart of the matter...bypass the grey matter. The bottom line ... the absolute bottom line...will be a black or white anwswer. It takes soul searching, an abundance of honesty and a maturity that makes you get there...to that bottom line. Some people can't live with a "grey" answer...and should they have to? That's where the meat of the question lies.

All of the above..is of course...posted in my humblest opinionated opinion. lol

Happy New Year everyone....! Hopefully 2007 is less grey! Throw some purple in...what an awesome colour!

pinky
 foreverpinky48

What is your favorite SLOW dance song/music?
Posted: 1/6/2007 7:57:57 AM
whatever song he sings in my ear when we're dancing. that'll be my fav everytime. it's especially nice when it's not even on the radio and he just feels like dancing so it's his singing we dance to.

next fav - Last Waltz - by humperdinck - while waltzing with my dad.
 foreverpinky48

Testimonials
Posted: 1/3/2007 9:47:03 PM
enuff already. wow. shameful sending personal email attacks....i'd report her swamp...i can tell who she is just by the wording...she's very opinionated and often times she says things outlandish to draw attention to herself. (mho of course! lol)

quite the debate. and all sides have had their say. kmc...i'm loving your opinions in here.
coffee...tea...or me...becoming one of my favs for your directness and honesty. mi - you're you and i respect where you're coming from. to the moderator...thank gawd you decided to step in.

testimonials...i have one. and it's the one and only one I care if I ever get...and I don't think it was his intention to have it as an advertisement of my date-a-bility....lol.

keep smilin' people.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 20 (view)

Dr. Phil and Internet Dating
Posted: 1/3/2007 9:02:15 PM
KMC - if ever I've read anything, anywhere in the forums over the last year, your comment about 100% dating one person at a time, is the best, smartest comment I've seen! I agree wholeheartedly and have always thought this way since my teenage years. Kudos to you for stating it so well.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 36 (view)

Rating images
Posted: 12/25/2006 11:06:31 PM
Well said Dante and Anlachok. WTF is with wanting a rating or voting on one anyway?! I laughed my butt off when I joined here and that was an option. In my humble opinion, it is purely a vanity thing. Do people actually seek out high rated pics as possible dating material? If so, how shallow is that? What happened to the old adage, "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? And to be honest, if I dated someone who was sooooo madly concerned about their looks, I could just imagine it....one of those people who is constantly checking their reflection in the store windows...ever seen one of those people? Too hilarious.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 34 (view)

nuthin says i love you more at x-mas then......
Posted: 12/25/2006 10:38:15 PM
having your mate give the kids money to take off to the movies or somewhere, so that the two of you have the house and the couch and the tv and the wine to yourselves...for just that awesome 3 hours "alone time". Heavenly love.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 23 (view)

Is this irresponsible or what???
Posted: 12/25/2006 10:16:28 PM
I am so bloody sick of this behaviour. And I might be painting a picture here, so forgive me, but what I have experienced is single mothers in their early 40's who now somehow, in their super narcisstic state of mind..think...this is now ME time. I can't count the number of kids who fit this category who are friends of my two kids...age 16 and 18. It makes me sick. I want to take these parents and slap them across the back of the head.
I've had 3 teenagers who are not my own living in my house at different times this past year. FACS is totally f*cked. I've tried to work with them. Their only mandate...and again, I'm only speaking from my own experience from dealing with them...is under any circumstance...they would like the child to live with the parents. It's frightening what abusive situations they put the kids back into.
Trying to talk any sense into these bird brained parents is like talking to a brainless idiot.
Argggghhhhh....ok, i've vented. The stories I could tell. My personal cudos to anyone out there who reaches out and tries to make some sort of difference in this poor kids' lives.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 50 (view)

Happy Friday the 13th!!!
Posted: 10/13/2006 9:34:51 AM
For all the numerology buffs in here.
Today is a very special Friday 13th. Why you ask? I'll tell ya:
10/13/06 = 1+0 + 1+3 + 2+0+0+6 = 13

The last time a Friday 13th equalled 13 in numerolgy was Jan 13, 1520! So today is a significant day to any who put strength in numbers!

Have a great day!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 39 (view)

The Euphoric stage of new relationship!
Posted: 9/29/2006 1:26:37 AM
At least one "date" night a week..no matter how frantic our lives are. We have that one night that everyone knows the phone doesn't get answered and knocks on the door are ignored.

In communicating still...cutting right to the chase as to what might be on our minds without the meaningless b.s. in between. And the hugs and sex afterwards.

To look at his face and him to mine, and love the wrinkles in our faces that are a result of laugh lines lived together.

And one more, cuz I like to break the rules: Knowing then, like I would now, that in a crowded room or party where we've broken off into our own conversations with friends, that a glance to each other, tells each of us, that no matter who else is in the room, not one of them is more attractive or exciting than the man who I came with that night and who I'll be taking home to our bed, and that his glance tells me the exact same thing.
Pinky
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 37 (view)

to hide or delete once you met your fish?
Posted: 9/29/2006 12:36:07 AM
When Mirage told me this little trick about hiding my profile I leaped at the chance! And only because of what GEB said too. In large print in my profile heading...I stated I found my fish. The first paragraph of my profile clearly stated I found my love and would only hang around for the forums. My partner said the same thing in his. But wow....that doesn't stop the emails and getting hit on. It only makes it abundantly clear that the messanger doesn't read the darn thing and is sending out a ton of one-liner, meaningless messages. Or that they're shallow and after the challenge to break up a good thing like GEB mentioned.

My partner and I both said after our first date, we weren't looking for our first kiss anymore. That we both experienced our last first kiss. We both changed our profiles immediately to work on "our" relationship. (I just ranted on this very subject in a thread about what does "long term relationship" mean). We've both kept our "favs" list as we both have some good friends here.

Am I wasting time at the keyboard right now? Well, maybe. But not away from him. It's 3:36 in the morning and he has to be up in 2 hours. He needs his sleep. I got up to have a smoke and to check what's new here as I'm not here every nite as I was before....thank God for that and for him! I'm done my smoke now, and well maybe, he only needs another hour of sleep.................be good, be friendly, love ya all!!!!!!!!!! xo
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 37 (view)

Do guys who use online dating...actually wanting to find commitment
Posted: 9/29/2006 12:18:08 AM
JMHO, I believe that putting "looking for long term" should be used if you're dedicated to the "possibility" of finding a long term partner. What defines "long-term"? Ay, there's the rub! To me, it meant, that if my POF date was entertaining, refreshing, interesting and interested during initial chats that turned into an actual "in-person" meeting and that cliched "click" or "spark" was there....then a further commitment from that step into dating would be expected from both parties. (geez, what am I saying...sounds like legal mumbo jumbo!?). Okay, start again Pinky.
Okay, most of us would love a life partner. Hence, "long-term". In saying that, doesn't that involve some sort of commitment to really getting to know that person more deeply, more commitedly? To do that, doesn't that require alot of "monogamous" dating together? Setting time away from POF profiles to see where this new friendship/love might take both of you? That can't be done with occassional dating. It sends the message, "well, maybe I'm into you, maybe I'm not, maybe there's someone else out there".
Having "looking for long-term" is a good starting point, but I think both the guy and gal need to walk the talk too, and be willing to commit to what might happen next. With so many thousands on this site, we all go through the hits and misses. It's pretty clear what you're dealing with if the guy/gal sends the message, they're interested but only want to date periodically. I think those of us who are "older", who have been through marriages, divorces, deaths of spouses, etc. have the advantage of knowing exactly what it is we're after. So when we find it...bam!, the looking is over.
I have found my love on this site, and so have a few of my friends! We've stated in our profiles that we're no longer looking, here for the forums, here for friends or hidden our profiles, etc. What is long term? To me, it's to watch our laugh lines together turn into wrinkles. Are we guaranteed that? Of course not. Are we willing to see if what we have takes us there? Of course we are. I think that's what everyone's goal should be who has "looking for long term" posted. Anything less than a commitment to work on that "spark" should perhaps post..."looking for friends" or "dating". You'll know the answer to that after your first date...if your date isn't on the same page...well, you met someone nice, got out for an evening and maybe even added a friend to your life. Move on and keep fishing. Your match may just be an instant message away. Good Luck to everybody on their search for what they desire! Just call me giddy in love!
 foreverpinky48

Men who swallow!
Posted: 9/26/2006 1:26:12 PM
First time I saw my teenage daughter do this disgusting thing, I slapped her across the back of her head so hard, I could have given her whiplash.
It's become a disgusting social habit and I can't tolerate it. It's rude. Plain and simple. I would have honked at the guy in Timmies. We were standing in line at Wonderland quite a few years ago behind a group of teenaged guys who were otherwise great guys. One of them tho' had to hork and spit everytime his mouth had a tad of saliva in it. For yards and yards of winding line I side stepped this crap. Then I had enough. Just as he rolled one in his throat, I said to him "God help you if you let that one fly." I pointed out his hansel-like trail and also the vegetation that was to the left or right of the path. He apologized and spit it into the grass. His friends busted him for it...and he got embarassed.

I'm serious when I ask this....this was unacceptable public behaviour not that many years ago....to the point that I've argued with close friends that I thought it was ticket-able. lol Is this off the books now as a true social offence that we could once get a ticket for? God I'd love to see it come back or enforced. If it's cold related, carry a tissue and spit in it.
just mho of course.....as always.

Edit...darn it..forgot to ask...Leann? what is snowball?
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 7 (view)

Your best blow off
Posted: 9/26/2006 1:02:56 PM
I moved his beer glass he had placed at my table to the empty table next to mine.
 foreverpinky48

how do you convey who you really are on here??
Posted: 9/26/2006 12:59:05 PM
Write the profile, add a pic..not of your**** Then read your profile and re-write it and lie through your teeth...just on minor points. I swear everyone I've met on here does this. I don't get it. But they do it.
Then, write a message, or im, and set up a meet. Guaranteed the woman will know within a short time if you're genuine or not.
Don't start your in-person conversation by saying you chose her "mathematically" for all the sex positions you can see yourself in with her. Don't talk about your****at all as a matter of fact.
Don't say in your profile that you occassionally drink, when in fact you're working on the 5th step of your program. She's bound to find that out in quick time.
Go ahead and mess with your age by a few years that's not super serious - especially if you're worried that she won't even consider you because of it. Age is a number, pffffttt.
Oh! and probably the most important tidbit of advice I could offer IMHO would be to only have ONE, ONE PROFILE in here. If you say longterm, but really only mean occassional dating --- say that. If you're here for intimate encounters...go there and say that. But don't go out on a date with someone you've met under one category and then go home only to be found later that evening signed into pof under a different nic and category....such a turn off...and not very honest.
Charles Manson is probably a poet by now. Squeakie too. Don't believe what your read. Ever. And know that the person reading yours probably isn't either. Meet in person. Go with your gut.
LMAO..I started writing this as a tongue-in-cheek response. Then I realized how much truth there was to it...which is what we're all talking about basically. lol. I'm giddy in love....forgive me. (hehe, his wasn't completely altogether true either - but after an hour we both fessed up and he knows now that I'm actually 59, lol.)
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 7 (view)

How nasty can you be?
Posted: 9/26/2006 12:02:59 PM
I try to live by inspiring words my Nanny left to me, and I think of her every single day:
What goes around, comes around.
Chickens come home to roost.
Never lower yourself to the level (or lower) of the person who pissed you off.
Smile at them when you're the maddest. It's effective. (btw, it pisses them off even more).
And her best one which leaves you thinking about it:
"Just because you have a hole in your ass, it doesn't make you a flower pot."

The worst it gets around here?....maybe during a game of water pistols, someone gets a full bucket of cold water dumped on their head when they're not expecting it. Why spend precious time wasting it away on how to 'best get back' on someone? OP - counselling works wonders! If you're concerned enough to write and ask, maybe you should look deeper into these.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 45 (view)

Rock Star Supernova/any early predictions?
Posted: 8/17/2006 8:32:28 AM
omg..my mistake..must have been the frame of mind i was in..radiohead's creep was the title i was looking for. i see a poster did respond, thanks again. it was wayyyyy overdo for zayra..jmho.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 43 (view)

Rock Star Supernova/any early predictions?
Posted: 8/16/2006 10:53:02 PM
somebody tell me what song the guy sang tonite and by what group....the chorus is i'm a freak....gawd i can't think of the song.
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 4 (view)

When you meet someone you really are interested in.
Posted: 8/16/2006 4:22:02 PM
so why haven't any of you ladies snatched this guy up already!?!?
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 42 (view)

deciding to send an email?
Posted: 8/16/2006 3:58:15 PM
I'm back with an update. I was sent a personal email regarding my response to this..the person had the fortitude not to "flame" me here, and I publicly thank him. I also told him that what he said to me in his email should be read by others too.
The point he made to me was that he does appear on many favs lists. These names include male friends, people he's met at POF events, and simply good friends or even people he's not met but he doesn't feel it's his place to delete them. That doesn't make him obnoxious and form me to infer that seemed pretty shallow.
He, of course, is correct. I didn't mean to infer that and that's what I explained. I said the number was obnoxious (the word is up for interpretation and quite possibly not the "best" word I could have chosen) and that I didn't mean the person behind the profile was obnoxious.
I publicly apologize to anyone who may have interpretted my post the same way as he did. We've cleared this up between emails, and we're back to square one enjoying each other's viewpoints. I think anyone who reads my posts will know that I don't male bash....both sexes here on POF deal with the same b.s. as everyone else. My point was I didn't feel my chances of making a connection with someone on 281 favs lists was too inspiring. I sincerely hope this clears the air!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 10 (view)

shocking first date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 8/16/2006 2:47:17 PM
Chantress..I give you cudos for showing so much class. Both on the date, and here in the post. You took a crappy situation and showed class by not making a scene, you showed class by putting money on the table, and you've shown class, humour and intelligence in this thread by responding sooooo well at someone who clearly made an absolutely unnecessary remark about your use of slang words and typing style. You won't have problems in this silly world Chantress - you've got the world by the short and curlies!!!
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 9 (view)

Miserable ~ Angry ~ Unhappy!!!
Posted: 8/15/2006 11:55:19 PM
This is a good thread Leeanne and thanks for posting. It's timely in my case. I have, well I guess "had" a friend from here that I thought highly of. I let him blow steam about his job, his ex, his financing of his house worries, his uncle dying of cancer, yadda yadda. I'd give him a hug just because I thought he needed it. I'd massage his back because of the constant pain he's in. I'd offer my advice of being a single parent when the topic came up. I'd go to his house at 1:00 in the morning to sit and watch a movie with him when he offered. Then suddenly, these last two weeks, he became very distant, very bitter and very cross. He emailed me to tell me I should consider taking one of my pics off here because I looked "creepy" ..and "just thought I should let you know". When I tried to confront him about his change of attitude and mood he took that exactly as that...a confrontation. He told me I was very negative and that I need to take a long, hard look at myself. That I was soooo not for him as a friend. It set be aback. And it's had me reflect.

I don't think of myself as negative. I live one day at a time. When I get blue, or allow myself a one minute pity party, I look at what I've accomplished over the last 13 years as a single mother, providing a home for my kids, raising them into two beautiful children, doing charity work, working sometimes 5 jobs at a time to make it all work. I've lived in constant pain for the last 3 years where surgery is not an option..it could leave me a parapelegic....but most people who know me, except for my immediate family and 1 or 2 close friends would never know the pain I hide. (and now lol, a room full of pof'ers!). My family has actually forgotten until they see me take a pill. I can walk, talk, dance, be intimate...I have sooo much more than others I've cared for and known...and believe me, I'm thankful. I'm not sure if I agree with Nas that some of what was said by others here is b.s. Who knows? We all cope in our own ways.

I will be looking at how I'm perceived by others because of this ex-friend of mine. Perhaps there's some weight to what he said. Hopefully there isn't, but maybe I'll find some truth in it and thank him one day....(when he "unblocks" me...lmao).

Show ALL Forums