Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Is making bread more frugal?
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 71 (view)

Is making bread more frugal?
Posted: 5/24/2010 2:10:15 PM
Most of the recipes I've been experimenting with do not require additional yeast, and they've been coming out nice and airy. I have seen a few recipes in my research that call for additional yeast, and I can see where that might be necessary for a denser bread. I haven't done much experimenting with the whole wheat yet, but giving it a second rise seemed to be enough for a lighter texture.

I have some yeast on hand to use if a recipe calls for it, but so far... so good without it.
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 9 (view)

Do you Facebook
Posted: 5/23/2010 7:54:22 PM
I'm totally addicted to the stupid facebook game apps. Running a restaurant, killing vamps, decorating my YoVille or Pet Society house.. .whatever I'm in the mood for I can play.

I've had a myspace account just as long, but I never cared for it over there.
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 68 (view)

Is making bread more frugal?
Posted: 5/23/2010 7:04:05 PM
I just started making my own bread recently. I've got sourdough and a whole wheat starter going, and I haven't quite figured out the cost comparison but I definitely think I'm saving money. I just started experimenting with english muffins and bagels so I know that will definitely help cut the costs. I always make my own pizza crusts and I know they're a lot cheaper than running to pizza hut.

Honestly I dont care. I'm LOVING my homemade breads. I find it very theraputic, caring and feeding my baby starters, and watching them grow. It's like having a GigaPet in the kitchen. LOL. And it's hard to be in a bad mood when the house is full of fresh baked bread smell. Plus I know that there's nothing but simple basic products going into my body instead of tons of chemicals.

Yes, homemade bread will go bad faster than storebought, but my roomies are scarfing it up at a commendable rate. When we get to the end pieces I grind them up for breadcrumbs and toss them in the freezer. Too many breadcrumbs? Time to make meatballs. :) And one of these days they'll leave me enough bread to make a batch of croutons. LOL.
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 20 (view)

What's for Dinner?
Posted: 5/23/2010 6:53:07 PM
barbeque chicken pizza with carmalized red onions and pineapple chunks on my own homemade sourdough crust. YUMMMY.
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 17 (view)

growing Cilantro
Posted: 5/23/2010 6:49:28 PM
I used to have enough property for a full herb garden, veggie garden, patio plants, and numerous flower gardens and one specifically designed for wildlife.

I'm an apartment dweller now, and just have a pot with some sweet basil, chives, italian parsley and oregano and some thyme.

There's nothing like the taste of fresh herbs (and veggies)
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 156 (view)

King Sized Beds
Posted: 7/22/2009 4:27:47 PM
how sad is it that I just spent the last 15 minutes on youtube watching people fold sheets?

I have a love/hate relationship with the internet
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 418 (view)

WHY ARE WOMEN OVER 30 A FAILURE WHEN THEY ARE SINGLE AND CHILDLESS?
Posted: 7/21/2009 4:46:35 PM
I don't feel like a failure at all.

Society tells me that I should have married, had kids, and the white picket fence.

Screw society. I know what's best for me. I'm a free spirit, I love children, but knew at a young age I didn't want to own one. I didn't get married because well... I saw no reason to.

I'm 39 now, I see my friends married, and with children, and hey.. that works for them. Not for me though. I love adventure in my life, adventure that a husband and children would make difficult/impossible to be able to do.

I don't consider myself a failure. I consider myself free.
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 24 (view)

Medical Marijuana
Posted: 7/11/2009 9:57:12 PM
As a current medical marijuana patient I just wanna say

Thank you for this thread

I could go into the many reasons I'd like to see it legalized/decriminalized, but I think you've all pretty much covered the topic.

For myself I just want to say:
Before MMJ = NINE different RX's daily
After MMJ = vitamins and an occasional asprin or OTC
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 35 (view)

Do you think I'm being dishonest?
Posted: 7/11/2009 9:48:58 PM
I don't think you're being dishonest. I'm in the process of shedding some poundage as well. If you were doing it the opposite way (showing thinner pics when you've packed on a few since) that would be a different story.

You said this is a recent weight loss, perhaps you're giving yourself a cushion in case some of that loss finds you again? ;)

Show ALL Forums